Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Gentle Exfoliating Treatment

No Image

3.7

Water, Polyethylene, Lactic Acid, Glycereth-26, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Stearic Acid, Mel, Hydroxylated Lecithin, Papain, Polyacrylamide, Ceteareth-20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Triethanolamine, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Cetyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Laureth-7, Caffeine, Chlorphenesin, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Phospholipids, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Extract, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil, Bromelain, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Disodium EDTA, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Oil, Retinyl Palmitate, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex (CI 75810).

on 2/18/2017 6:33:00 PM

I've set my initial rating at a three due to my short experience with using this product. I've never tried a Kate Somerville product before, and I already have a pretty solid skin care routine. I've been on accutane, I currently have a good dermatologist, and I've had a professional facial before. However, I really do prefer self-care, due to predictability. I'm currently following a strict regimen of Cerave foaming cleanser and adapalene gel. Since my accutane treatment, I've really just been focusing on cleansing properly, keeping any new breakouts at bay, and, more recently, exfoliating properly. I have the typical exfoliating products, such as the clarisonic and a couple sample packets of chemical exfoliants. However, I don't particularly care for sonic cleansing brushes as much as I thought I would. I love the feel of a granular exfoliant, but I like the immediate difference I see with a chemical exfoliant. KSV combines both of those things in this gentler version of her exfoliating treatment. I stopped by a Sephora this afternoon and picked up a sample. After all, I have finnicky skin, and this stuff is so expensive! I expect I'll get at least three treatments from the sample I got at the store. It comes in a lovely green color, it has really fine physical granules, and it has a subtle scent. I don't particularly care for it; in my opinion, it smells vinegary, even though it's described on the site as herbal. However, I don't smell it on my face, so that's of little concern. A dime sized amount is sufficient to cover my t-zone, and I rub it in for thirty seconds and leave on for an additional 1-2 minutes. I didn't experience any tingling or burning sensation, but like I said, my skin is used to treatments at this point. It rinsed easily with warm water and I finished it with a splash of cold. Afterwards, I showered, which further opened up my pores. I can definitely say that my skin has a really nice glow. It doesn't feel dry or tight, but comfortable and clean. In fact, this feeling rivals that of my first professional facial. And, my skin isn't red from any extractions!I can't explain how refreshed I feel. This really made me feel like I'd had a spa day. As opposed to shelling $100 for a facial at my aestheticican, I dropped some peppermint oil onto the floor of my shower, made some tea, and put this on. Sooooo nice! :)This would be such a pleasure to use to either wake up in the morning, or maybe after a long day at work. I felt obliged to write this because my skin has literally been through the ringer in terms of treatments. It is incredibly rare for me to not only experience no adverse reactions to a product, but to also see positive results the first time. I'll of course update after every treatment, and report whether or not I feel the need to purchase.
Update:
It turns out that my reaction to this product was delayed. The day after I used it, my skin looked redder and was definitely oilier. I know what a "purge" feels like, and this definitely wasn't it. This was just irritation. Not only that, my forehead(the area where I applied it)turned bumpy. Now it's really itchy, and that never happens to me!It also irritated my seb derm(a condition caused by oiliness that causes redness and scaling)between my brows and down my nose. What a shame!This is such an expensive product, and I was really expecting to like it. Upon further inspection, I found numerous problematic ingredients in this mask. Sesame and almond oil(fine for body, but not for face), geranium and sage oil, balm mint, and papain. Yikes!The latter is especially sensitizing. I recommend skipping this one, ironically if you have sensitive, acne-prone skin. Yes, that's right-the exact skin type that this product is marketed to. It's back to prescriptions at the derm for me.

on 8/24/2015 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Well, I can't say there is anything "special" about this exfoliator. Sorry! It's average IMO and you can find many cheaper exfoliators that do the same job as this one. It's good just not worth the cost IMO. It's good but as I said already nothing "special". Use Dermatalogica gentle cream exfoliant for a great one,(totally different like a mask sit's for 20 min. then wash off-no scrubbing leaves glowy baby soft skin and gentle). If you like the scrubby texture type,(which I do also:), my personal fav. is Angel's on Bare Skin from LUSH. I also do love Peter Thomas Roth's FirmX,(don't buy that is takes off ball's of skin but it is a very, very gentle yet prolific exfoliant that leaves skin so soft). Any of those are 5 lip's in my book. We are all so different with what we like texturally, scent, slip etc. it's becomes very personal no matter what famous person use's something it all comes down to what we love individually doesn't it? Bisous

on 4/28/2015 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

i used this and it BURNED my face so badly that I am thinking of seeing if there is a class action lawsuit already that I can join with....It says to use for 2 minutes and rinse.
I rubbed it gently and I didn't even keep it on the full 2 minutes and it burned so bad.
i NEVER am sensitive to skincare products at all, so its not my skin!
I see from several other reviews that I read I am not the only one!
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! I am hoping and praying this doesn't scar my skin permanently......you have been warned!

on 7/21/2013 5:04:00 AM

I just finished doing the gentle exfolikate. If you could only see my skin. They said some redness is normal for the first 20min. It has been two hours and I look like I have a horrible sunburn. My cheeks, forehead, nose and chin are on fire! Do NOT use this product if you have extremely sensitive skin.

on 10/2/2012 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

My skin is very sensitive so I use this version of Kate's amazing exfoliator. However, for someone with sensitive skin, i must say I have tried the regular and it works just fine for sensitive skin. I actually prefer the original but I received the gentle version as a free gift off of the Kate Somerville site for buying Quench (horrible, horrible product). Once I finish this version I will probably go back to the other one. This one, however, is just fine as an exfoliator and does a great job in getting the dead skin off and revealing smoother skin. I use this once every 2 weeks, as I use a Clarisonic everyday and that does all the exfoliating I need in between those weeks. I would recommend this to anyone who has left over scars from acne and are looking to reveal their newer skin in a less cost effective way than say microdermabrasion.

on 8/14/2012 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use this in combination with the original ExfoliKate. I like the fact this is $20.00 cheaper and I can use this more often without irritating my skin. I use the original occasionally on my jawline where I get more congestion and clogged pores. This has really made improvement on my skin along with using the Detox Cleanser and Goat Milk face cream.

on 9/10/2011 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This packs a one 2 punch..it has the exfoliating beads but it also has an enzyme component. It is gentle enough to use once a week ,but it does a great job. No break outs, you do not have to use a lot of product and the product is hygenic. I Have purchased this product over and over and will continue to do so.

on 4/30/2011 2:01:00 PM

This product is nothing short of amazing. I have a sample and will most likely repurchase unless I find something cheaper. The price is steep but as another reviewer mentioned it will last a LONG time - I have a tiny sample bottle and it has lasted a couple months. You only need a tiny amount and you will KNOW it is working because yes it burns but in that oh so good burn so you know that it's working way!! :D

on 4/18/2011 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff is amazing. I always hesistate to buy into product hype cause very often it is so disappointing. Not this time. I am glad I started with the gentle formula cause this stuff IS really effective. This gives me almost as good a result as that of a professional Chemical peel!
I only use this once every 10 days or so. I don't dare use it more often. I skip my clarisonic that evening and then follow with a REALLY good moisturizer. This can leave my skin feeling dry so I follow with a good moisturizer that evening and work a little more under foundation the following day. OMG...the results are just amazing. It has smoothed out my complexion so nicely! Less break outs, reduced some bumps I had, and has eliminated any roughl/dry patches. Oh...and my face is SOOO soft!
I've been getting compliments on how great my skin looks. 1st time ever! And I didnt have awful skin to begin with, this just improved it that much!
This IS pricey($65), but you need such a small amount for your face that it will last you a really long time. Maybe less than a pea size for your whole face. Right after your face will be a little red, but it fades. I didn't feel tingling with this and was concerned that it wasn't working...not the case. My skin must just be used to the acids. This will remain a staple item for me. Get a sample from Sephora before taking the plunge and you'll run back to the store to purchase!

* * Update 9/11/11* *
Ok, so a couple of months later I am realizing that although this give my skin a fabulous glow it actually gives me a few breakouts the very next day after using it. Although they are tiny...it's a deal breaker cause they take forever to go away.

on 3/2/2011 6:57:00 PM

Yes I would buy this again, again and again! I absolutely LOVE this product (and I actually like of like the stingy face feeling). It really gets all of the dead skin and makes my face glow because of the enzymes. Every time I use it I make sure to use I really good moisturizer before I sleep, because my skin needs that extra hydration. The next morning I have this amazing glow and I feel that I owe it too exfolikate (and also to using the Clarisonic sonic facial brush).
Any how, I love this product and encourage everyone to take a chance because it is WORTH IT and it is better than ANY exfoliator I have ever used.