3.6

Shop Now

Reviews

1.0

a day ago

please do not buy this product. not only does it not help your acne, it will worsen your skin so much. this product has left my skin with red burn marks that felt very raw and painful. the marks turned dark brown and stayed on my skin for weeks. it destroyed my skin and your skin will never be able to return to the same again. i regret even using this product everyday. please do NOT buy this product.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

9 months ago

TL;DR: It works for my specific needs if used with caution. It is an active treatment, not a moisturizer. Avoid sensitive areas. But you need to understand that the causes of texture and inflammation can very very different. Look at your skin closer than you look at strangers' reviews. Go to acne.org if you haven't. Here's my context: I have normal/dehydrated skin prone to inflammation and hyperpigmentation. At this point I'm used to being covered with dark spots the tenacity of which surprises even aestheticians. The outer layer of my skin is also very strong despite being thin and transparent (I realized I have to leave AHA longer that recommended for it to work, then I tried Derma E glycolic toner to add daily AHA and literally felt nothing, etc etc). I think I figured out my hormonal breakouts - adding extra zinc and iodine supplements on top of a good multivitamin with resveratrol really cleared those painful red bumps that leave dark spots behind. I was so happy because all I was getting reduced to an occasional small plain pimple (which is caused by external factors). Fast forward to this summer's heat wave. Active sebum production, sweaty workouts and what not. Given the durability (sad laugh) of my skin, it all quickly collects under the surface, into bumps/clogged pores/whiteheads. Which in turn are potential inflammations. Now I got a few healing pimples and lots of texture. This product is definitely an active treatment rather than a moisturizer. But after buying it I can understand the confusion since it is very creamy and siliconey smooth, and a tube holds 40ml. I really like this consistency because you can layer it on spots that need it and it will stay there. The pointed "nose" applicator also helps (it's a like bb-cream tube). It does burn, especially on first application, but only in areas that burn often for me - around nose and under eye (just washing off sunscreen makes the area around my nose burn all the time, I think it's because my nose is runny all year long). Luckily these are not the areas I need this product to work with, so I avoid them. I "draw" lines and dots on problem areas, massage them into skin and repeat where needed. I give it some time to settle and dry (otherwise wet product might end up in sensitive areas). Then I follow with other treatments (optional) and my moisturizer. This product reduces the texture and sucks sebum closer to surface so I can extract it where I really need to ("don't touch your skin" method does not work for reasons stated above - it will just stay there). I think it's the combination of BHA, niacinamide and the product's consistency that makes it effective, because I used a thick BHA gel and it worked worse on my skin. Afaik the rest of ingredients are mostly thickeners. You know the The Ordinary zinc/niacinamide and acids - they are all liquids. Also, acids tend to be separate products from niacinamide, at least in more affordable options. I think LRP products don't wow - they just work if you know what you are doing. No miracles. But they won't ruin your skin for dramatic short-term results too, at least in my experience. UPD: It's pilling, I guess due to niacinamide in it (TO zinc/niacinamide is completely different in texture but does exactly the same; looks like the reason why LRP decided to thicken it). Somehow I only noticed after using it more, or maybe I switched something. FYI my main moisturizer also has niacinamide, might be the combo of them. So don't rub it. Just put it where you need it and tap. Or mix it on top of moisturizer (I do this with salicylic acid treatments since BHA is oil-soluble, and it seems to work ok).

About reviewer (35 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Neutral

HairBlack, Straight, Fine

9 months ago

I don’t think it’s supposed to be je a moisturizer, it’s an anti-acne treatment. I have oily skin and I use it before the moisturizer like a corrective serum, and my skin has been really clear. Wish I had known about it in my teens. But to reiterate, even for very oily skin I would recommend using a hydrating cream afterwards, otherwise you might get dryness and irritation.

About reviewer (17 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBrown

EyesBlue

a year ago

worth every penny! using more than a year now and my skin improved so much, the watery texture is ery easy and smooth to apply too. visible improvements

About reviewer (11 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBrunette

a year ago

HG product for me. I’ve been using this for my acne and as a day moisturizer since about 2014, and I have definitely bought used up more than 15 tubes of this. For me, it’s the perfect combination of just enough hydration for my oily skin without feeling heavy or clogging the skin, as well as absolutely fantastic for my form of acne. I have adult acne that ranges between mild to average but appears all over my face, all the time. I do get cystic acne, but it's mostly hormonal and it appears only occasionally. The effaclar duo helps with my acne, but also hyperpigmentation. It’s not a miracle cure (I doubt anything is) but it keeps the bulk of it at bay. My skin just looks so much more even and alive. I’ve come to find that niacinamide is extremely effective for my acne, and it’s one of the top ingredients in this. While it’s a miracle worker on my skin, I don’t think this is the best kind of product for cystic acne. When I get my occasional deep red painful spots, this doesn’t do much. It definitely isn’t enough hydration if you’ve got dry skin, or live in dry climates. But in winter I just add on another face oil (I recommend The Ordinary’s Squalane). The price isn’t great if you’re anywhere outside of France. But there are ways to get them on discount if you live elsewhere, just takes a bit more effort. With twice daily use, it lasts me about 3 months. Double that if only used once a day. I’ve tried many other all-over face products with niacinamide as a top ingredient but nothing is quite as effective as the Effaclar Duo. I have also tried the other products in the Effaclar line and none of them were particularly impressive. The Effaclar Mat, K+, H, Duo+ Unifiant, and the Duo+ SPF version range from passable to pretty good but nowhere near as effective as the original Duo+. Although, the one exception is for BB Blur, which was just plain terrible. However, I will continue to repurchase this til the end of time.

About reviewer (125 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

a year ago

A nice, light daytime moisturiser for slightly oily and acne-prone skin. It makes a good base for makeup. I've been using this for about a year and it's a solid product - it's not a miracle cure, but in my experience it definitely helps if you have mild acne. I have noticed that Effaclar Duo helps prevent my major spots - they're smaller and less frequent since I started using it. I'm less convinced by the product's claims to help hyperpigmentation - I haven't really noticed my acne marks fading (but my skin is very fair so it's a big task).

About reviewer (20 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair

HairBlond

EyesHazel

1.0

a year ago

I have slightly dry/acne prone/sensitive 23y/o skin and this product did not work for me at all... I purchased because of a social media influencer who has similar skin to mine who had recommended to people who struggled with congested pores, I purchased both the original cream and the tinted one for days where I wanted some light coverage. Upon applying the cream my skin feels warm which I always find slightly alarming with any product other than peels or chemical exfoliators. The tinted version is literally impossible to blend even with fingers a sponge iv tried a blush and even mixing it with some moisturiser to loosen it a little and I am always left with patches where the cream has no colour and then orange blobs it’s the strangest thing.. but appearances aside the “warming” sensation turns to burning and eventually I am rushing to the sink to get this crap off my face! I can’t stand it I feel suffocated with it on and have to soothe my skin with aloe and rose water for the next for hours!! The ingredients are very irritating for a brand that prides themselves in being experts in sensitive skin ... It’s MAJOR NO! Get a sample the company suck and won’t allow a return ...

About reviewer (24 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair

HairBrown

EyesBlue

3.0

a year ago

I think that this isn't a bad moisturiser, it just didn't do anything for my acne when I had it. To be fair I did have fairly moderate hormonal acne so I can't really expect a moisturiser to get rid of it though. I loved the consistency, it's sorta like a gel, it's really refreshing and cooling! The packaging was ok, nothing to shout about. Overall I'd recommend this if you have a few spots but anything more severe than that maybe give this a miss.

About reviewer (20 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair

HairBlond

3.0

a year ago

I have had this for about a year and use as needed on spots or lumps. I think it is strong because it does sometimes show up slightly red in areas I have applied it, the next morning (if used overnight), and it does reduce some spots and breakouts by I'd say around 30%, but doesn't kill a spot or a lumpy area or breakout. I think there may be better products out there for that. It's reasonable and helps but I'd try others on the market next time around to find something that is punchier and fail proof.

About reviewer (132 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinAcne-prone, Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Other, Other

2 years ago

This doesnt irritate my skin. Texture doesnt feel sticky or leaves a residue on your skin. On a larger scale i may have lesser pimples and my marks faded a little, but i have not really seen anything dramatic. Update: have gone and repurchased another tube of this bcuz After using other serums, I think the effaclar duo is a very fuss free, simple reliable serum that maintains the skin very well. I did not have any trouble with my skin. And I think it really improves the skin texture and marks.

About reviewer (210 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Warm