CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion - AM SPF 30

CeraVe  Facial Moisturizing Lotion - AM SPF 30

3.3

Active Ingredients:Homosalate 10, Meradimate 5, Octinoxate 5, Octocrylene 2, Zinc Oxide 6.3Inactive Ingredients: Water, Niacinamide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this product. It's not super moisturizing but it's nice for summer/spring. It feels very utilitarian and functional - not fancy, no extras but a good, solid daytime moisturizer with SPF. Reliable brand, easily accessible in stores and fairly priced. I have the nighttime version as well which I use sometimes - I rotate with some other goodies in my collection!

CeraVe makes both "Normal to Dry" and "Normal to Oily" skin formulas of this moisturizer. I purchased this moisturizer as I wanted something with a sunscreen built into it. Surprisingly, Beautypedia gives this a 5/5 star rating which I rarely see on anything other than Paula's Choice products so it was another reason I picked this up for my oily/combo skin. I do like this moisturizer a lot. It is perfect for under makeup (year round) and I have no trouble applying primer, foundation, etc. over it. There is no greasy feeling or white cast left on the skin after application. It is not exactly light weight but not heavy either. I like the pump dispenser but would be just as happy if it came in a squeeze tube style so you can get all of the product out without wasting any. I'm happy to report that this has not made my skin break out at all either which is always a fear of mine when wearing sunscreen so I've avoided doing so outside of summer. Now I can protect my skin year round without concern.

To Read all 242 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/9/2016 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Being a huge fan of CeraVe's normal moisturizing lotion, purchasing the SPF version seemed like it would be a no-brainer to me. The standard lotion is so gentle on my sensitive skin that I thought that this might finally be an SPF-containing lotion that would be kind to my face.

Unfortunately I really don't like this lotion. It's much thicker than their normal lotion (to the point of being a bit difficult to apply), has a strong chemical sunscreen smell, and causes redness and irritation to my face, complete with the small bumps on my cheeks that most sunscreens cause.

I'm too cheap to outright replace it, so I'm "cutting" it with the normal moisturizing lotion which does decrease the irritation... But of course also decreases the sun protection. So sad.

on 6/28/2016 1:37:00 PM

I'm a huge fan of CeraVe products and I'm well on my way to replacing my entire skincare arsenal with this brand, but this is the lone stinker of the bunch. I thought it would be just like the regular moisturizing lotion in the pump bottle, just with added SPF, but this was not that. It feels and smells like thick sunscreen, and within 12 hours of my first time using it, my skin had turned rough and red. I've never reacted to any skincare product as badly as this one. It took a full two weeks of using just the plain CeraVe lotion to return my face to smooth.

I also tried using it on my chest to see if I could still find a use for it, but had a milder version of the same reaction. Had to return it to CVS.

on 6/22/2016 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I was excited to try cerave products after researching online and reading reviews about this being a great line because they are fragrance free so I literally bought 6 of their products including this, which was by far the worst of them all.

I have acne prone skin but my skin was doing good for a long time until this. My face would slightly itch after application, especially the sides of my nose which is abnormal in itself. I should have stopped then cause no moisturizer should make your face itch, but life was busy and I didn't focus on it. Shortly after, my skin got black and white heads all over my jawline and forehead and cheeks. With more research, I learned the ingredients used for the spf in this caused this reaction. I always stuck to spfs with only zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, but this has octinoxate, which sinks into your pores and disrupts your hormones. Being that my acne was mostly hormonal, it made sense.

Do yourself a favor and don't get this unless you are blessed with non reactive skin and don't give a hoot what goes on your face! :) will never buy this again or any other product with bad chemicals for the spf.

on 5/31/2016 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I bought this product in the original formula first, and then in the newer broad spectrum formula just to be a bit more protected.

Both formulas are a white cream and smell like sunscreen although the smells disappears after some time. They both take some time to sink in (about 15-20) minutes and until then are oily looking on the skin. After that, they are undetectable on dark skin.

However, I can say that I prefer the older formula. For some reason, and it may be the added ingredients, the newer version pills on my face. Part of my skin care routine is adding a vitamin c serum to my face after washing. Using the original formula, I am able to do that with no problem at all. However, even after waiting some time for it to sink it, the new broad spectrum formula pills and then when I add a primer on top of that (Becca Ever Matte if I am wearing makeup) it pills like crazy! I use a brush to brush away the pilling but on days where I am makeup free, the oiliness of the formula means that I have to wait until it dries to actually brush the pilling off of my skin and depending on my angle I notice a white cast on my face.

I don't think I will be using this anymore. I do love the PM version so adding an SPF to that might be in order. I will use the older version (which also doesn't pill when I use primer) when I know I am not going to be outside for long, but other than that it is time for a new SPF.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Avoid if you have acne-prone skin. On my quest for a moisturizer with SPF for the summer that wouldn't break me out, I tried this lotion by CeraVe. I got it on sale for $13 CAD, so the price wasn't too bad. However, this moisturizer caused me to get whiteheads on my chin and around my mouth every time I used it. I used it on a daily basis for around 3 weeks to give my skin time to get used to it, but no dice - I had persistent whiteheads. Pretty gross.

I gave this lotion 2 lippies because it didn't make my face look super shiny after application, which is very common for lotions with SPF. However, it was hard to rub this lotion in (it leaves a lot of white patches on your face when you first apply it) and it was irritating to my eyes. All in all, I will keep using it on my chest and shoulders before leaving the house, but I'm keeping it far away from my acne-prone combination face! I've decided to move up to more expensive lotions such as Laroche-Posay's Anthelios sunscreen in the hopes that they won't break me out as much as drugstore brand sunscreens.

on 5/22/2016 12:44:00 PM

I really like CeraVe's serum, and use it at night, several times a week, so I was looking forward to trying this moisturizer. Pros: comes in a generous 3 oz. size, and has a pump. No scent to speak of. When I wash this off my face at night, my skin looks good. Cons: This moisturizer is very thick, and does irritate my eyes a little bit, so I have to really steer clear of that area. It does not sink in to the skin, and feels a little mask-like, which I hate. Also, it does not "play nice" with foundations, so I pat (not rub -- that's a disaster!) a little powder on top of it and call it a day. Since I'm at the age where I need a bit more than that, I plan on using it up this summer (when I don't have to impress anyone), and not buying another bottle.

on 5/10/2016 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I REALLY wanted to like this product. I was looking for a cheap alternative for my go-to Clarins UV Plus SPF 50 Sunscreen. I thought this would fit the bit but unfortunately it didn't. It felt heavy on my skin, left a white cast on my face, and broke me out. And also the smell, OMG the smell. Yeah, didn't cut it. My search continues for a good sunscreen that does not break the bank or break me out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm very fair, having once burned in ~20 minutes. I try to plan my weekly 50% glycolic peels around not going out before dark for 48 hours afterward, but life happens, and I use this when it does. A dime-sized amount is enough for my entire face. It eventually "melts" into my eyes, but by then I'm home to wash it off. It does the short-term job I need it to do without being overly greasy or breaking me out.