Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner - Lionfish

4.6

on 4/5/2016 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Girls with brown eyes pay attention! This adds light to the eyes and brings out the golden flecks in your eyes. I have very dark brown eyes that read as black from a distance and so I have a hard time finding something that compliments the color of my eyes. Lionfish is a great eyeliner that is HG for me. It pushed me into an obsession with brown eyeliner but nothing has really done the same job. It's a warm medium brown on the slightly lighter end with apparent but elegant gold flecks. It's slightly coppery. I wear it as a solid liner which adds a slight sparkle and light to my eyes and I also love it smudged onto my whole lid as an eyeshadow. But my absolute favorite way to wear it is it to apply a thicker layer on my top lash line and my lower lash line and smudge the way up and way down before it sets. Not so far up that its an eyeshadow but enough to create a gradient effect for the next steps. Then I add another regular thickness layer on top and a thinner layer on the bottom and wait before it sets. This helps the concentration of sparkle stay close to the eye. I add a beige-y/pink-y crease. I add a dark and matte brown eyeliner sooooo very close to the lash line just to thicken the appearance of the lashes and finish off with lots of mascara and a good black tightline. This gives the most effortless bedroom eyes ever. It looks simultaneously undone, cool, and sultry. I feel like a total badass with this eyeliner on. I literally have bad people give me the thumbs up sign on the street and my friends die for the look. Lasts most of the day with primer and if it's fading it's not big deal bcus its easy to reapply. I love to couple it with slightly stronger but natural eyebrows and a really defined contour. I never buy the full price because Dermstore, skinstore, etc offer 20-30% deals regularly.

CON: Cap always breaks before it's done and this will dry out within hours.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Stila Lionfish is 1 of my fave brown liners. I don't do dupes so I don't care about that but this would be hard to dupe because it's really unique. It's a twist up reddish brown dark bronze w subtle glitter flecks & a tinge of shimmer. It is NOT FLAT! I also happen to like Smashbox Always Sharp liners in Sumatra & Penny Lane; & Clinique QuickLiner in Black Honey if you're looking for some good brown liners that aren't standard "dark brown...'coffee'" the description "coffee" always gets me lol this looks awesome w Kitten eyeshadow or any kinda pale neutral (Loreal Infallible Eternal Sunshine for DS). Imma hafta finish up some of my other liners b4 rebuy time. I don't want to be without this in my collection for too terribly long!! Looks great w a nude lipstick I've even rocked this w a red lipstick. And anyone who knows me knows I don't often wear red lipstick lol this is expensive for what u get but they succeeded in getting me hooked lol

To Read all 46 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a warm shimmery brown (not glittery) that I use as a daily liner. It makes my blue eyes really pop and I always get compliments when I wear it. As far as staying power, it's pretty decent. I have oily lids and pretty much everything smudges on me, this only smudges slightly by the very very end of the day on me. The only thing I don't care for about it is that it can sometimes be a little too creamy while applying and then it smudges or just doesn't go where I want it to. Once it dries however, it doesn't really budge

on 1/1/2015 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is seriously the best shimmery warm brown eyeliner on the planet. I was a MAC Teddy eye kohl user/ lover, but I hated how Teddy wouldn't last all day, and smear and smudge. Yet Teddy was the most beautiful, perfect bronzy brown, so I cut my losses and would carry it around to reapply throughout the day. Lionfish is an extremely similar warm shimmery (not sparkly or glittery) brown, only with a kickass long-lasting waterproof formula. Even though you can't sharpen these pencils, the drier texture makes it very easy to create thin or thick lines that last from AM to PM without touch ups. I'm definitely picking up Black Amethyst next!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I discovered this eye pencil from MUA and bought it because I wanted a long-wear dupe for MAC Teddy eye kohl, which smudges and fades on me not even an hour after application.

Stila Lionfish is a warm, red-toned bronze with tiny flecks of reddish sparkle, those these sparkles are not really noticeable on the eye.

It doesn't smudge on my upper eyelids, which are super oily, even after 16-17 hours of wear.

It also doesn't smudge on my lower outer corner of my eyes which are always watery, because I wear contacts.

It's one of those retractable twist-up pencils that don't need sharpening, so at first I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get a thin line. I've since learned how to work with this, and can use this for precise eyeliner looks or smudge it out for a waterproof smoky look.

The only complaint I have is that you get a tiny amount of product. I've already run out of my first pencil after only a few months. I've since bought 2 more. I don't think I could live without this eyeliner, and will probably hoard a stockpile of it. Definite recommend!

on 3/26/2014 10:20:00 AM

Lionfish is very very similar in color to Oscar Fish in the same Smudgestick line. However, where Oscar Fish is a glittery dark brown, Lionfish is still glittery but the base color is very slightly more red-brown (but only very slightly, I could only tell the difference in bright sunlight). Staying power is fantastic, these liners are one of the best I have ever found and the pigmentation is excellent.

If I had to choose between the two, I do prefer Oscar Fish as it is more neutral and neutral colors work better with my skin tone. Lionfish is still very pretty though and I will continue to use it up but probably won't purchase it again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Great eyeliner for everyday! usually I will just do some eye shadow then smudge this along my lashline for my eyes and im good! a really great medium brown that gives just the right amount of definition that isn't too harsh. The only down fall is that you cant really get it sharp but I find if i roll it up a little bit higher than normal I am able to use the side. Love this product and will repurchase when im out!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

My absolute HG brown liner. As another reviewer said, lionfish is everything I wanted mac teddy to be. The colour is perfect - just the right amount of shimmer and nice depth. The staying power is amazing. When I take it off it looks the same as when I applied in. It smudges well for about a minute but once it's set, it's set. I am on my second one, and already have a backup!

on 12/9/2013 2:53:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This was also part of the "Best of Stila" kit from Sephora. Holy moly this stuff is GOOD! I tend to stay away from pencils because of my oily eyelids - I end up using only liquid. Even gel liners don't stay. But, this is not the case with this product. I lined my upper lid with it and it stayed until I washed it off. That has not ever happened with any other pencil I've used.

This product glides on the eyelid, so no pulling is needed (YES!). This particular color is beautiful - it's a nice, rich brown, with a hint of shimmer in it. It's a great sub for black/charcoal liner when you're looking for something a bit more subtle. I haven't smudged it yet, but that's coming soon.

I'm sold.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This is the perfect shade of brown liner. It comes out dark but is not as harsh as black. Perfect for a day-liner and offers great amount of shimmer. It goes on smooth and lasts as it is waterproof.