Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly

Price: $

Price: $

Petrolatum

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This is a jack-of-all trades product that every household should have, just in case. It can keep screws from rusting, doors from squeaking, keep your skin hydrated, etc.

I dab this underneath my eyes before I go to sleep, in order to lock in moisture. There are no pores under your eyes, so there's no worry that it will clog your skin. Any little bit of extra moisturizing helps as you get older. :)

Some people even swallow (eww) this stuff. Maybe it is a miracle product that will help your insides, but I think I'll take a pass on that idea. :O

on 6/28/2016 7:07:00 PM

I've been using this product has a lip, hand, and foot moisturizer and it has never failed to moisturize my skin effectively. This is probably the only lip, hand, and foot cream you need for basic moisturizing.

The only con I can think of for this product is that the flip top cracks easily.

A cheaper alternative that I've found is the Equate Petroleum Jelly, which costs $2 for a 13 ounce jar at Walmart.

To Read all 1424 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Pure HG!!! Vaseline SAVES my lips when they are chapped. I don't like the feeling on my hands but when desperate, I put on my mittens at night and LOAD UP on Vaseline. I do the same for my feet.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Chapped lips would be healed by this magic in a pot! My mum has very dry skin and she uses this on London winter, and she swears by this. One thing that i dislike is it's not hygienic at all.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

One of the best cheap moisturizers out there. Not to mention all the uses it has. For lips, skin, calming down my hair, melting this into hard lipsticks, making my own cream eye shadow, spreading this around my hairline so my skin doesn't get stained when dyeing my hair...I can go on and on.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Vaseline has become a staple in my skin care regime as of late and there's a reason why it has been around for so long.
I apply a thin layer on top of my Shiseido eye cream at night to seal in the moisture and it works. I know a lot of MUA'ers will apply Vaseline on top of damp skin as moisturizer. Unfortunately my skin can't tolerate this yet it's ok in conjunction with my eye cream.

I have a huge tub of this (the generic brands are just as good as the Vaseline name brand) on my nightstand and I apply a layer on my lips before adding a layer of Lansinoh for soft, supple lips in the morning.

I also slather it on my hands and feet underneath gloves and socks before bed. This is a winter regime when the indoor heat & hot showers can really dry out skin.
Vaseline is also great for healing skin cuts and abrasions.

The best thing is that it's inexpensive.

on 4/13/2016 12:57:00 PM

What everyone else said. Cheap, great at moisturising, has lots of uses. I use it mainly as chapstick, cuticle moisturiser and on my dry patches. The only con would be the packaging as it's very easy to let bacteria in.

I am allergic to a lot of chapsticks and lip balms. They make my lips break out in hives at worst, or they just make them feel even drier at best. My doc recommended Vaseline instead, and I love it so so much. I don't need to apply it nearly as often as I did when I was using the other stuff, and it really helps my lips stay moisturized.

People always ask me why my lashes are so long and I always tell them it's because of this product. I always put some all over my lashes before I go to sleep and have perfectly moisturized long luscious lashes in the morning.
This is also a superb lip balm!

on 3/18/2016 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Currently this is the only thing I can use on my face that doesn't cause itchy rashes, and helps to heal them. That includes cleansers, soaps, creams, lotions, concealers, foundations, eye makeup, and highlighters. I have developed a sensitivity I never used to have to cosmetics. Since this is nothing but petroleum jelly, a byproduct of the oil industry, that proves that petroleum jelly is not an allergen to me. it's one or more of the chemicals or other ingredients in everything else that is ruining my skin over and over. Every time I get a rash from some cosmetic, I use nothing but this and it gradually heals. I have tried the white Vaseline cream but it is even greasier, has a smell, and it has added ingredients so I can't recommend it.

As someone else wrote, you have to keep the jar clean. I don't let anyone touch it. If someone grabs it and uses it without washing their hands, I throw it out or just use it on feet and hands from then on. You don't want germs building up in it and getting on your face. I use a little plastic scoop thing to get it out. Most drug stores sell these for single use. When I had to change diapers this worked better than anything to prevent/heal diaper rash (which is always caused by detergent residue in the cloth diaper, or chemicals in the paper diaper, and not changing diapers frequently enough). I reserved the baby's jar just for that purpose and didn't use it for anything else. Of course, it is still important to wash hands before and after changing diapers and using any ointment.

Vaseline has been around since 1859 and used to be marketed for minor burns and cuts because the oil rig workers found this residue helped heal their cuts and burns. Lately they took that off the label since some clueless people used it on serious burns, which it's not meant for. The purpose was to seal the minor wound from bacteria entering in. That's all. In its original state this stuff is apparently black. It has to be triple refined to make it white and pure enough to use on the face. Only the original is triple refined so there are no stray ingredients. They pride themselves on this. So don't be buying generic brands. You don't know how they are made and they could contain contaminants.

Now as for using this as a beauty product when you have no rash or problem, I've done that too for years. Everyone else has written about the techniques so I don't need to add to it.

In recent years Vaseline branched out into adding all kinds of chemical ingredients and allergens to their lotions and if you have sensitive skin these can sting. I would avoid those.

The original is not a miracle product, but it's a safe product, compared to the horrible chemical soups we are being sold in the name of skin care. There may be a couple of other safe products out there and I hope I find them some day.

Update Apr 17/16: I've already written enough but this is a postscript to announce that using only Vaseline every night and every day, all my eyelid rashes went away, finally, after a few weeks. And I'd had them off and on for two years. I can now wear eyeshadow again (choosing carefully so far). I have no trace of a rash, no red marks. And they aren't coming back. So: whatever caused them, I'm no longer using. And if they do come back, I'll know what product caused them. But Vaseline has proven itself to be healing. When I used Ponds dry skin cream just one night, I got a red itchy rash. Literally everything but Vaseline has some chemicals, or perfumes, or other allergens in it. Vaseline is just petroleum and the skin does not react to it.