Hemp Seed Oil

3.9

on 9/14/2016 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have been messing around with my face this year in an attempt to even my skintone. Testing countless sunscreens, getting into Asian beauty, a questionable foray into acids. The positive is that I have learnt a lot about ingredients, however I've made my tetchy skin even more sensitive. Along with added stress in my life and hormones going cray, it is back to basics again with added sun protection.

As I am an everyday chemical (can't have the white cast of physical) sunscreen wearer, making sure it is off my skin at the end of the day is a concern. I've found cleansing oils tend to break down the SS/MU/oil without irritation from face cloths or repeated swips with cotton wool pads. However I haven't been wowed and the products I've found have irritating for me, ingredients.

Enter hemp seed oil, I researched and found it scored 0/0 for irritation and spots on the spot register. (Its late I can't think of the right terms). I had some organic cold pressed oil in the freezer as I use it in smoothies and on my salads.

I used this as a first cleanse, straight up oil, and the coolness from the fridge (I transferred into a 10ml dropper bottle) helped to reduce the inflammation in my skin, along with my 2nd cleanse of raw honey and kaolin cleanse. I did this for 2+weeks.

This combination calmed my skin and didn't create more spots. However very cumbersome and impossible to travel with. So I made my own cleansing oil with an emulsifier. This was a game changer once I found the ratio's for my skin. I now make 30g at a time, add a few drops of vit e and store in the fridge. It cleanses really well and now rinses without the added irritation of a washcloth/cotton wool/microfiber cloth. I still use a 2nd cleanse (micellar water), but this combo is easier to travel with.

As a facial oil to help with my dehydrated skin, it doesn't make it. Once it's absorbed into my skin I still need more oclusion. Mineral oil is too oclusive, hemp is too little, just like goldilocks.

Would I buy specifically for my face? I don't think so as it is so high maintenance to store it. And it goes rancid really quickly so I would have to source smaller amounts and that would get expensive. However as I consume the stuff I have it already....

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This oil has broken me out with the most painful cystic acne I could have imagined, hard nodules on my forehead that are very sore and have been lasting for seemingly ever. The acne started about 2 weeks in, so if you are patch testing (as I wish I had) then please give it at least a few weeks before making a decision. The little blackheads I was initially trying to get rid of only got worse too. I had to make an appointment with my doctor and was prescribed oral antibiotics. When I react badly to oils the reaction always seems to be far more extreme and cause more damage than with other products.

To Read all 51 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Shanon_87 and Jamesie along with a few others here on MakeupAlley actually convinced me to try this after I expressed my frustration with plant based oils breaking me out. I have acne-prone, rosacea-prone, sensitive, oily skin. Most oils do break me out. I've tried over 20. Oils that broke me out the worst: coconut, argan, rosehip, olive, tomato seed, aloe vera, vitamin e, peach kernel, apricot kernel, grapeseed (was fine as a cleanser though)...Neem oil didn't break me out but it did cause hives due to the potent fragrance.

The only oils that don't break me out are mainly NON-plant-based: organic jojoba (which isn't even a true oil...its a wax ester) and mineral. And then there's 1 plant based oil that didn't break me out: watermelon seed oil. I was shocked by this and wrote a 5 lippie review on it. I still only have positive things to say about it. Hemp seed oil, amazingly enough, can now be added to the list of oils that don't break me out.

Hemp seed oil is heavier and more moisturizing than watermelon seed oil. As long as it doesn't clog my pores, that's fine by me. I find that hemp seed oil alone will keep my retinoid flakes at bay, but watermelon seed oil needs the help of vaseline if I'm peeling. Hemp seed calms my sensitive skin and rosacea. Oils are a pretty low-thrill product as they don't produce the same results active ingredients do. But.. the moisture factor is really important for skin (even though I'm oily). It keeps my protective moisture barrier from frying while using chemical exfoliators. It also helps acne scars heal quicker and decreases irritation. I don't think an oil will clear anyone's acne (despite hearing this often). It took the help of alpha hydroxy acids and retinoids to finally get rid of mine. But as I already said...the moisture element is important.

The cons.... well, this is green in color. I always worry about it staining my platinum hair. So I have to be conscious about that. The green hue in hemp seed oil actually counteracts my redness from rosacea during wear. Another con to take into consideration is it is very time-sensitive and vulnerable to expiring if left in the heat. So you have to refrigerate it. Neither cons are a deal breaker to me.

I prefer ordering from Garden of Wisdom. It sucks having to order online but they ship quickly. The reason I will not touch any of the oils from in-stores or other online sources is the commercial companies are not trustworthy enough IMO. I need to know the exact source of the oil and a guarantee that it's fresh...not just that it expires on a stated date. If you use a rancid oil on your face unknowingly you can break out really horrifically. Some oils, such as hemp seed, are very time-sensitive. GoW always helps me out with 1 on 1 customer service if I run into any issues. The best advice I can give to any of you wanting to try oils is buy a few sample packs from GOW. They offer 3 of your choice for about $10-$15. If you're like me and break out easily, you'll be thankful you didn't purchase full sized items.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I have combination skin, so my skin has a tendency to get both oily and dry. I must say, I have been using this product for several months now and it is my holy grail. I use hemp seed oil day and night as a moisturiser whereever I am, and it has really balanced out my oily t zone. I don't get that oily at all on my t zone, very minimal. This also provides such a smooth base before applying makeup.
Hemp seed oil is 100% non comodegenic and since using this I don't trust any other moisturiser as they have a tendency to clog up my pores. I have not broken out from this and it has cleared up my skin entirely. But it also does a great job at moisturising and keeping my skin hydrated. I apply it more liberally on my drier areas. I made the switch from argan oil as I found argan oil didn't sink into my skin as well and was clogging up my pores. This sinks into my skin beautifully and works a dream at hydrating my skin. Would highly recommend to any skin type, I think it can work for everyone. Oils are especially good at helping balance the excess oils your skin produces.

on 7/7/2016 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

My review is for organic, cold pressed hemp seed oil. This oil doesn't smell very good and it goes rancid extremely quickly, but I think it's my favorite oil that I've tried so far. Does not cause breakouts or irritation at all. Use 2-3 drops for moisturizing and it does a good enough job. I still wish it were more moisturizing because my skin is very dry. But I will continue to use this until I find a better alternative. I think it would be amazing for oilier skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

Tried this as a moisturizer for night time use on face. Heard it helps with acne & acne spots. It seemed to work for a couple of days but still kept breaking out. Stuck with it for a month no improvement so I stopped using it and my face is finally starting to clear up. This did in fact clog my pores. I don't know what made me think I needed to moisturize at night when I never have before. Stick to what works for you. Be very careful on what you put on your face. I reccommend aloe vera gel from a plant for acne and acne spots. Been using it for a week and seen major improvement on my face :)

on 3/7/2016 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I had so high hopes for this stuff as it is non comedogenic and everyone says its great for oily skin and helps with the oil production.
But seriously, I really did not like it. It smells gross, when I'm removing my makeup it burns my eyes out and it really did not help with my oil.
I bet that it works for many people, but not for me. I guess everyone has to try on their own.

on 3/4/2016 12:50:00 PM

I'm so glad I finally tried this stuff. It has basically made my skin so much healthier. Not only does it help moisturize, but it actually balances. In the past I used jojoba oil (which I like but not nearly as much as this) and argan oil (which I love for my hair and body but is not moisturizing enough for my face). I use it to remove sunscreen and makeup at night by wetting my face, putting a few drops in my hand, rubbing it into my skin and then wiping it off with a microfiber cloth. Then I use a gel cleanser to gently wash my face. Then I add a drop or two to my moisturizer to boost it (it's not moisturizing enough on its own for me, but then no oil is for me because I need a humectant as well). In the morning I just ad a drop or two to my moisturizer again after washing with the gel cleanser. It has changed my skin from dehydrated, sensitive and sometimes flaky to velvety, balanced and smooth! It does not break me out whatsoever. I don't love the smell but it disappears in a minute or two. It's too greasy for my hair and smells too strong for my body but for my face, it's absolutely perfect. I use the Nutriva brand; bought it 3 months ago and it's still over half full, so extremely cost effective. I keep it in the freezer but I've traveled with a small little bottle of it, and it's fine not refrigerated for a few days. I only wish I had tried it sooner!

on 2/27/2016 6:34:00 PM

It is one of the few things that do not make me break out or irritate my skin. But it's not moisturizing enough by itself -- will have to mix with another oil.

on 2/22/2016 11:11:00 AM

I've been using hemp seed oil (Nutiva brand) for a couple of weeks now and it works great as a moisturizer for face, body, and hair. I use a light layer in the morning and nights when I notice my skin is dryer (I swear by rosehip oil in the evenings, so I only feel the need to add the hemp if skin is thirsty). It does smell a little earthy and grassy and...weedy lol but I find the scent pleasant. (The taste not so much.) Hemp seed oil has a comodogenic rating of 0 and has an extremely beneficial fatty acid level that's great for topical and internal use. You need to keep it in the fridge or it'll go rancid.

TOPICAL USE: Basically, use it kinda like any other oil. Apply on slightly damp skin to aid absorption. It's light yet thick if that makes sense, so use a small amount. It gives your skin such a silken, velvety feel and it hasn't broken me out one bit. Looks beautiful under mineral makeup. It does aid in balancing oil production and improving your overall skin situation but I haven't noticed a ton of progress in terms of pore reduction/cleanliness and Dark Mark fading (but I didn't expect this). It's wonderfullllll to use on your body, even more so than your face - makes skin so soft and eradicates all those winter leg itchies that drive me nuts this time of year.

INTERNAL USE: I've been taking (eating? drinking?) a teaspoon or so in the morning and I haven't really noticed any changes. I do feel better overall when I do this (with coconut oil as well) but usually when I'm on this kind of routine, like remembering to take care of myself, it's in conjunction with other supplements and general healthier living. It really doesn't hurt though.

So, overall this is great but not a miracle for me. If you look at online reviews it seems to have really helped a lot of people so it's definitely worth trying! It gets a 4 from me since it doesn't necessarily improve my skin (aside from hydration) or innards (from what I can tell so far). And I hate trekking to the fridge when I want to use it. And the bottle is messy to use. But good stuff.