Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair

Price: $

on 7/2/2016 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I have to say, this works for me. I used to use white vinegar (didn't realize there was a difference but there is) just to get the buildup off. White vinegar is actually more acidic and there might be more beneficial properties of ACV. The comment about the acidity of ACV is true, it's the same as my Joico K pac (one of them, they are all slightly different) as slightly acidic compounds do seal the cuticle, but it can't be too acidic (my mistake with the white vinegar, but it wasn't really harmful either tbh).

For me, I apply this right on my scalp after wetting it. I don't measure it or use any specific ratio, I just wet my hair and pour it on and wet my hair a little more to make sure I can spread it, and massage it through my hair so it can get to my scalp because my hair is thick. Then I leave it for a few mintues. THEN I shampoo. I couldn't imagine not shampooing as I have really thick hair and the buildup won't go away from ACV alone. Plus I wash my hair once or twice a week but to skip one or just use some kind of co-wash just won't do. And then I condition. I definitely have had many times where my hair wasn't rinsed enough and the smell does linger in wet hair and it can be BAD. I don't know if it's worse with certain shampoos or what but at times it smells like puke and I just have to air it out or re-wash. (I prefer to dry my hair in a bun because it's so frizzy but that will make the smell worse). Some times I have no smell at all, so it's not every time.

As far as results, definitely a cleaner scalp, which means a lot to me. I find my hair is softer, bouncier, and sometimes even curlier but often less frizzy. I don't know if this is better for courser hair or not but my hair is wavy curly, sort of dry, and I had bleached it to dye it colors. It's not horribly bleach damaged which other commenters say doesn't work well with ACV. I also don't think it fades my color any faster than regular washing. To be totally honest, I haven't found a difference between organic like Braggs or store brand.

I have tried the dpHUE ACV rinse which is meant to take the place of a shampoo. As I mentioned, I'm not one for co-washing but that stuff is amazing. It's very expensive though so I would recommed that for those who think ACV can help them but don't want to deal with the real thing or the smell, maybe those with finer hair as well. But otherwise I think store bought ACV is great and works pretty well for a fraction of the price as long as your hair accepts it well and it's rinsed well.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I read that it's the low PH that closes the cuticle to make the hair shiny and less prone to breakage. I'm not sure if that is why it works, but it definitely works!

To Read all 131 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/3/2016 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It works. I moved to a hard water city and saw my hair frustratingly deteriorate. Not knowing this was the issue, I suffered through trying new hair treatments, not understanding why my usual ones weren't working as well, and I even changed my hair colour thinking bleach was the problem. Eventually after a particularly drying wash and blow dry I made the connection it was the water, and learned about hard water. Rinsing with ORGANIC Apple Cider Vinegar, diluted with water, made my hair less straw like and frizzy, and flattened it. After a few consistent uses I found it was a little too...product-y feeling, possibly too much vinegar, so I trialled the next thing, a filtered water rinse in the shower after washing, and that works reasonably well too. I now combine rinsing always with filtered water, and the occasional vinegar rinse, and my hair appears to be heading back to normalcy.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I never have a bad hair day when I rinse my hair with ACV. This stuff adds shine, and weirdly I think this moisturizes my hair.

I have done different methods...sometimes I shampoo/condish regularly, then rinse out with ACV at the ends of my shower. Sometimes I will just use ACV. I've gotten great results both ways.

This was one of those pinterest things that I wasn't sure really worked, and I was pleasantly surprised that this delivers!

The important difference between Bragg's and plain ACV, is that Bragg's has the "mother" (beneficial enzymes), that is destroyed in processing with regular ACV. I'd rather have that in my body than rinse down the drain, so I put a teaspoon of Bragg's in lemon water to drink. I use regular ol' ACV for my hair, and still get great results.

on 10/3/2015 8:32:00 AM

This is an economical product to keep in your beauty stash. It is great to use as a toner, or a hair rinse, or as a laundry booster (true story!). It is inexpensive, but you end up diluting it anyway, so it lasts a good amount of time. I like Bragg's in particular because it is organic, but any one will do.

on 10/3/2015 5:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a great remedy for when your hair is being dry, funky, and lacking shine, especially if accompanied by an oily scalp. It has to be seriously diluted if you have very dry or porous hair -- to give you an idea, I use a half litre empty coke bottle, fill the bottom with ACV (till it fills the four sections), and top it of with water. If you've ever made candy or sugar wax, it will have the color of sugar that is just beginning to caramelize (light gold). Perfect!

I dump this in after shampooing and massage into my scalp, and leave it for 5 minutes or so while I soap, shave, etc. Then it's a great opportunity to 'scritch' all the flakes and product residue from the scalp (gross, but sometimes necessary). The ACV loosens it and it comes off in a snap. I then choose to rinse it off, because my hair holds on to odors.

It leaves my hair seriously shiny and my scalp balanced. I still have to use a leave-in conditioner for detangling, but nothing else. With my scalp clean and hair residue-free, nature's best conditioner (sebum) has a chance to distribute through the hair daily. The result is shiny, nourished hair and a normalized scalp -- no more oily scalp with thirsty hair!

on 9/15/2015 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I actually don't use this in my hair, instead I use it as a toner mixed with lemon juice and distilled water, if my skin is misbehaving I add in a crushed disprin tablet and to take the stink out of the stuff, I use a couple of drops my fav essential oil.
This is made fresh but will keep in your fridge for a good couple of days- lemon juice has amazing whitening action while ACV is high in mandelic acid- great for blemish prone skin, I don't use it every night as my toner but alternate with my rosewater toner- works brilliantly at keeping skin clear and fading old scars.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I really wanted to love this but I can't.It just doesn't work for me,did nothing to improve my hair,even if it did I wouldn't use it because I can't stand that smell.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I tried this today. Today is day 3 post hair wash. My hair was slightly itchy and oily on my scalp (I usually wash my hair every 3 days but my hair tip becomes dry so I want to hold off). I decided to do ACV rinse instead. I mixed 100 ml water and 1/2 to 3/4 tablespoon of ACV. I wetted my hair, then poured the solution all over my scalp and the rest of my hair. Put on shower cap and waited for 5 mins. I rinsed it and my scalp was still a bit oily but I still didn't use shampoo. However, my hair was soft after rinsing the ACV. I still put in my usual conditioner (although didn't need to). After my hair dries, it's not itchy anymore, and the oil on my scalp decreases (not completely gone). I guess it doesn't strip hair's natural oil, unlike regular shampoos. I also put on leave in conditioner on my damp hair and happy with the results so far. Will update again!

PS. my hair is chemically dyed permanent. It's lightened to brown. Did not notice colour run or anything.

UPDATE: I use regularly now whenever I wash my hair (every 4 days). So I shampoo, rinse with water, dump the diluted ACV, wait for 5 mins, then rinse, and put on some conditioner and rinse again. I feel that the ACV really balances out my scalp as my shampoo is alkaline and our scalp isn't. I still need to shampoo to get rid of the gunks and oils. When I did the ACV rinse only, my head doesn't feel "clean". So I still use shampoo.

UPDATE 10/12/2015: My new detangler!!! Okay 5 days ago, I found my hair was still tangled pretty badly, although using a conditioner too, and not as soft and shiny as everyone talks about after using ACV rinse. Everyone's hair is different, the ratio I used above 100 mls with 3/4 tbs ACV didn't do anything to my hair although it worked well on the scalp. So I researched online and found that it is a great detangler. Online reviews said that scalp is slight more acidic than skin. So I mix 50 ACV:50 water and spray it all over my damp hair in hopes to get the tangles out. It helped tremendously albeit losing quite lots of hair in the process (well it was tangled pretty bad, so it could've been worse and it was much less painful than without using it). The smell gone after my hair dried. So today, I washed my hair (yes I know now I can wash it in the span of 5 days and ACV has helped loads in balancing my scalp), and my ACV rinse is 50ACV:50 water. I shampooed, rinse with water, put ACV on my scalp then the rest of my hair and top it with conditioner at the same time. I showered, then lastly, rinsed it all off with cold water. Put on towel and while it's still damp, apply a little bit of coconut oil on the ends of hair. I slept with it until about 95% dry then brushed my hair. Some hair falls but it detangled easily and no pain! My hair is so soft and shiny! LOVE it!

on 8/4/2015 12:52:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I have been using ACV for my hair off and on for a few years now and have recently started using it again. I unfortunately developed an itchy scalp; I tried switching shampoos, and nothing worked. I then did some research and found ACV helps with that. After I am done shampooing and conditioning, I pour some ACV onto my scalp, rub it in, and let it set. It is a miracle worker. I do this every few days, and it gets rid of the itches. This saved me from scratching out my hair.

This is also great for a facial toner. I let the AV run down my face and body when I rinse. Makes everything soft. :)