Mason Pearson Boar Bristle Brush

Mason Pearson Boar Bristle Brush

4.6

I did lots of research and read tons of reviews. I ordered it online so this made it especially tough to decide site unseen. It's waaaaay to expensive a purchase to get it wrong. I decided on the next size down from the large which they call a small. to backup I initially ordered a pocket pure bristle and it was way too small for every day. I did like the way the bristles felt on my scalp though. I could have returned it but the shipping back 2 England was $25 so I decided to keep it and invest in the larger brush for everyday. there's not a lot of activity on our hear board though I did ask questions. a few people answered but it was a mix of pure bristle or mixed bristle and that was my big indecision once I was sure of the size. I contacted Mason Pearson on Instagram and they suggested the pure bristle and also called my local Nordstrom and she suggested pure bristle as well. There were just so many awesome reviews on the next and the significant price difference was leaning me that way. I went on the Mason Pearson website and did their questionnaire to select the type. Sure enough, I came up being either mixed bristle junior or small pure bristle. my hair is long and thin but wavy when I don't flat iron it which is most of the time I don't. I went ahead and ordered the mixed bristle but in the interim I found somewhere I could try it in person. I did not like it!! The nylon bristles with so scratchy and sharp feeling on my scalp. I refused the delivery when it came and in the interim ordered the pure bristle small brush.. It's called the junior in the mixed bristle which is a size down from the large. it is a large brush. My concern with the large was the ratio of the handle 2 the paddle of the brush making the handle seem too short and awkward. the Nordstrom sales person had said that and I also read reviews, + pictures of it seemed evident to me. I've never seen one in person and used it so I can't say I wouldn't like it but I will tell you I absolutely love the size of the small! it is not a travel-size like the pocket or the handy. I purchase it in blue and put it on my vanity it looks beautiful! I use it morning and night and I'm very pleased with how it feels. since I had the pocket pill bristle for about a month I've been using that as well and I do I think my hair looks healthier. it could be the combination of dryness in the winter so my hair is not frizzy but it does feel really good and my scalp is not itchy anymore. I didn't read too many reviews with people who found the nylon bristles sharp feeling so I'm surprised I did because I'm not a sensitive person. if you're on the fence like I was and your hair type puts you in the middle my suggestion is to go for the pure bristle. I must have read literally every review written on this brush, so me being so particular I knew I had to write my own review to share my experience. I'm glad I put the effort in to find a mixed bristle in real life or I would have made a mistake. Where I ordered it from you can't even return it if the box is open. I understand and appreciate their policy. also to add, the pocket is an amazing brush! If it's all do you wish to spend or could afford initially, you won't be unhappy with its performance. I heard good things about the handy size as well but where I purchased it from it was only about a $20 difference to get the med (Junior, small) since this was a no brainer.

on 11/12/2017 10:22:00 AM

I recommend everyone to buy a mason pearson bristle. This is the best brush for your hair. After brushing my hair shines and feels ultra soft. I have thick asain hair and the quality of the brush is the best for a lifetime! Worth every penny

on 9/24/2017 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Buying this brush is one of my biggest beauty buy regrets. I feel like it was such a waste of money. I have cheap boar bristle brushes (that seriously fall in the $2-3 range from Wal-Mart) that I love and that turn my hair to smooth silk, and gently work out any knots from my hair. This brush, by comparison, is unbelievably harsh. I have long, fine hair and the Mason Pearson brush makes it form tight, strange knots that take forever to work out of my hair (with a different brush, of course). I don't know how it snags so much. It also makes my hair feel very coarse. I'm used to my hair feeling silky and unbelievably soft after using boar bristles, but my hair feels so rough after using the Mason Pearson. I feel like it actually damages my hair whenever I try to use it. It definitely pulls out tons of my hair, where none of my other brushes do that.

I bought into all the hype and have tried to love this brush, but I'm starting to give up and just admit that I hate the thing and it was a waste of $100+.

It doesn't even look or feel luxurious either... the handle is cheap and plasticy... I don't get the hype at all.

The other weird thing about this brush is that it traps dust and lint like nobody's business. I have left it out on the counter and came back to it the next morning and it's dusty and fuzzy, while literally nothing else is.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I bought the pure bristle brush in the sensitive version. If I could go back in time, I would get the "standard" one which has boar and plastic bristles. The sensitive brush that I have is perhaps too sensitive....the bristles, when brushing, don't make contact with the scalp and, therefore, i think, lack a potential scalp-stimulating benefit

CONS
- Hair gets stuck in these bristles very, very easily. More so than in other brushes. This means it gets dirtier faster. Which means having to clean it more regularly. But who has the time? So I don't end up reaching for this insanely expensive brush
- Hard to clean (have to be careful to preserve the bristles...came with a whole explanation for how to clean. Again, a hassle)
- Expensive
- Didn't notice any discernible difference to hair or scalp

PROS
- Looks fancy. But it's about performance, not looks

on 7/6/2017 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

My hair: As a teen & in my early twenties, hip length, (it would grow past my knees if I let it) natural blonde, v fine, ultra soft, v shiny & lots of it, a spectacular mane, I was so proud, loved it.

Thirties onwards: hair dull, thinner, won't grow as long, dry ends, I try every product they bring out to reclaim my Godiva like hair. It had become dark blonde, blah & wouldn't grow like it had, even the shine had gone, sigh.

Light bulb: Mason Pearson brushes. The only styling or product (beyond hot oil treatments - V05) my hair knew in it's glory days was brushing with these brushes - I'd stopped long since thinking brushing was bad for it - the irony. In it's beautiful days, hairdressers used to ask when I went for a trim how I achieved it, I had no idea, it just grew that way, I thought. I do remember I used to bend my head upside down frequently through the day to brush it, wherever I was and then throw it back which made it fluff into ultra voluptuous mane territory. It looked like I had extensions it was so lovely dammit. Males stopped me in the street to stroke it & check if it was real - i could cry.

I've read the reviews and remembered, thanks everyone, am off to get a Mason Pearson asap, and drop all so called enhancing shine etc products, useless muck that clog scalps and ruin hair. Mason Pearson I remember give shine, condition, stimulate growth & help dry ends.

Edit:

A day after writing this have bought my Mason Pearson pure bristle brush in the Handy size. Anyone who wants beautiful hair should own one & if cost is a problem, buy a smaller size.

An investment but for how long?
With the care reccomended by Mason Pearson, one can expect the brush to last about thirty years. This is born out by reviews of purchasers I've found on Amazon UK who were replacing after thirty years. The brushes are almost completely hand made just as they were during the Victorian era, to ensure the finest quality.

Prices:
Do shop around, one can pay double the price in some places, whilst being wary of fakes.

Which size & bristles should one choose?
I rang M.P. for advice about which brush to choose and gleaned the following:

The bristle and nylon is probably best for a medium to thick hair amount of hair.
The pure bristle for medium to thinner fullness of hair.
The sensitive pure bristle for thin or thinning hair & sensitive scalps. The bristles of this brush are finer than the others & so on thicker hair may not reach the scalp.
The nylon bristle for very thick hair.

M.P. have advice in their site about bristle and which brush to choose.
The size of the brush won't make any difference to the positive effects, it will just take longer to brush through with a smaller brush. Also M.P. reccomend the size of the brush should be chosen according to hand size so one can wield it more comfortably & with more control, small hands, small brush etc. Have had a pocket size and large & medium size, all the same, equally good, I've small hands.

For those with hair loss:
Have read of a woman who found daily ten to fifteen minutes of brushing morning and night with a Mason Pearson slowed down hair loss due to medication (Prednisone) and for one man, this same morning & night regime helped (along with diet, DHT blocking nutritional supplements, getting more sleep and circulatory boosting exercise) stimulate ninety percent new growth after severe loss, due to hereditary pattern thinning.

A Hairdresser's advice:
Read a review on Amazon for this pure bristle brush by a hairdresser who said she was trained to use Mason Pearson and for anyone with thin hair, stop combing and use one of their pure bristle, it will strengthen roots, stimulate growth and condition hair by drawing sebum through it.

People new to brushing:
Dear hearts, do be consciously gentle at first, your scalp isn't used to brushing. My scalp tingled at first on going back to brushing, like it had had a work out, circulation no doubt. Bristles can feel odd against one's scalp in the beginning. And it can be alarming to see loose hairs coiled around the bristles after it's first session, this is normal for a first time. When my hair was beautiful & extremely voluminous, my brush was usually clogged full of hair but regrowth matched it and I had far more hair than I had once I stopped brushing.

Why was I daft enough to stop brushing for years on end?
The prevailing advice from trichologists and beauty articles at the time was 'brushing is bad, it will tear out your hair and split it, use combs instead, they're gentler.' I did, woe is me, fool I was and my hair, looks & vanity paid the price. I hope others may gain more beautiful hair from my mistake

India knight also has a very interesting & helpful article in The Sunday Times called 'a brush with greatness' about how a Mason Pearson transformed her problem hair.

Happy, beautiful hair to everyone.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I just reviewed the Junior which I bought for my daughter. FABULOUS brush. The hype is true! Worth every penny. Apparently the boar bristles do a phenomenal job at distributing the natural hair oil down the shaft. My hair - grey but colored - looks softer and shinier than ever! As a blonde, my hair is almost never shiny - it just doesn't reflect light. However using this brush makes a real difference.

What I often do is brush with the brush to distribute the oils, but then I style with my wide toothed comb which helps separate the hair for styling.

If you have ever been curious about this brush, give it a try. IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

on 11/18/2016 11:37:00 AM

After reading and hearing about Mason Pearson brushes being the Cadillac of all brushes, I wanted to get one. It was very pricey, and kept searching online to for a good deal. Luckily found one store in the UK, they offered me a discount code. I purchased one Extra pure bristle bristle brush (which is the largest size) and a pocket size pure boar bristle brush for my handbag while traveling.

Packaging is so vintage and beautiful. This brush looks so luxe laying on my vanity, I love it.

The bristles are quite hard, which I love compared to cheap boar bristle brushes, which skimps through the hair instead of touching the scalp. I love the feel of this brush on my hair, scalp do get a thorough massage while brushing and it really feels good. I use it twice daily, once in the morning and once at night before retiring to bed.

This truly is a spectacular brush and a great investment. I am sure these two MP brushes would last me years and years with proper care.

on 9/2/2016 7:55:00 AM

I've been religiously following Makeupalley's top picks for more than a decade! I can't remember a top pick that I wasn't impressed with. I'm also slightly guilty I have written a review.

When I first learned about the brush, through a rather materialistic book call 100 things to buy before you die. I dismissed it. What is this brush magic? I can buy an IPad mini with that money and it can do loads of things.

Yet my curiosity was piqued, the more I read the more incredible it sounds. I came across a boar bristle brush from Sephora, so I just bought it to try since it's 10% of the price. It's alright, I didn't have a comparison then, but u used it a few times and left it alone.

I was scrolling through top picks and saw the mason Pearson hair brush, didn't occur to me to check Makeupalley's review for a hair brush. I finally decided to get it, though apprehensive.

Got it from Nordstrom, not wanting to risk getting an imitation. Packaging is very vintage, love that!! Like I'm buying a bit of history. I like to imagine that the packaging didn't change since early 1900s.

Now on to the real deal! I got mix nylon and boar bristles, I was surprised there were much less bristles then Sephora's dupe. Overall, it looks classy and well made, luxurious to hold. Unlike Sephora's dupe, it brushes easily through my hair and it doesn't scratch my scalp at all. It detangles hair really well too.

What impressed me most is after I use it. It seem to be able to dislodge all sorts of debris from my scalp that I never know existed! It makes me wonder what my shampoo actually do?

The dupe kinda does a little of that (not as effective as Mason) but instead of being deposited on the brush, the debris are left on the hair shaft.

Every time I use it, it feels like my hair AND scalp is thoroughly cleanse, in a gentle and therapeutic way. I have no idea how it is able to cleanse so well without scratching my scalp like the dupe, even though the dupe isn't even half as effectively.

It is easy to imagine how it can eventually keep your hair ans scalp healthier. I'm very impressed and is now convinced that this deserves it's status as something you need to try and own.

on 1/2/2016 12:10:00 AM

I purchased this brush in the handy size around 5 or 6 years ago while traveling in London. I had just read about a "$150" hairbrush in one of the beauty magazines and thought, "what insanity! ". (Even though as an older person I can easily afford the product.). I notice the price has gone up since. After trying this brush out at home, I thought I made a $450 mistake! (I bought one for me, and 2 as gifts). Yikes, it really hurt my scalp! I didn't touch it again for years, discouraged by my first attempts. Since you don't just throw away a brush that costs so much, I picked it up about a year ago and now I really enjoy the feeling of the bristles against my scalp. I don't know what happened if my scalp got tougher or what but I use it daily now and I really like it. Great, as none of us enjoy wasting money. Even though it is pricey, I can now recommend it wholeheartedly because it looks like it will last for years. I have fine shoulder length hair and this brush does a marvelous job of redistributing the scalp oils. Don't overdo it, however, about 10-15 brush strokes is adequate.

on 10/26/2015 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Worth every penny. The brush will last you a lifetime. The bristles intensely massage your scalp and smooth out your hair like no other. I purchased mine 20 years ago and I still have the same one (I wash it regularly).

I know this isn't a website for dog items but have to give a plug for the 4 legged furry babies. I loved how the brush felt so much against my scalp and how it made my hair so smooth and glossy, I purchased a separate one for my dogs. They lay there so contentedly (they give me a look or sign when I stop) and I can see their fur looking so much glossier and smoother that no other brush has ever achieved after just a few minutes.

Popular Hair Styling Tools