Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash
Oil-Free Acne WashOil-Free Acne WashNo Title

2.8

Active: Salicylic Acid (2%), Other: Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride , Yellow 5, Red 40, Fragrance 07/2013

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I bought this for the 2% salicylic acid content. Since it was on sale I decided to try this rather than re-purchasing the Neutrogena body clear body wash, which is my usual go-to salicylic soap. I paid $10 for 177 mL on sale and to my dismay discovered that the pump was broken.

I don’t know if it does anything to help with my breakouts. It doesn’t make my skin feel smooth or especially clean - mainly just dry. It's fragranced, which isn’t particularly pleasant or necessary. I’ll finish using this on my body but definitely won’t re-purchase.

on 10/20/2017 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I feel like it's very overdying to the point where your face is tight to talk. I'm not sure how the aloe comes in for that matter..
About 2 hours later and throughout the day after using the cleanser & serum , my skin is very very oily! I'm assuming to compensate for the extreme dryness, therefore still resulting in pimples :/
I'm going to ride it out until it's done becuase I don't want to waste . However this is not my favourite and I'm positive I'll find a holy frail face wash. It does however get rid if all your makeup, which is a great plus:) ( I use coconut oil first and then the face wash )

on 4/21/2017 9:47:00 AM

This product is way over hyped. I bought to use for body acne because it was cheap and I thought it would help. The texture is a gel consistency, but its very hard to spread around, it kind of just clumps and doesn't spread out.

It did not work for me, in fact, it made me break out! It also made my boyfriend break out. We used about half the bottle and threw the rest away. Very drying and hurts you more than helps you.

on 7/16/2017 1:59:00 AM

I'm not sure why this is so underrated, because it worked tremendously for my acne prone skin! But i do think there is a trick to using this product.

I love the packaging, the pump makes it a lot easier for you to control how much you need.

As mentioned, i have acne/blemish prone, slightly sensitive skin. I used to have oily combo skin type, but i'm on accutane right now due to clogged pores because i have used the wrong makeup product (STAY AWAY FROM NARS SHEER GLOW FOUNDATION!!!), and has transitioned to slightly dry skin type at the moment. However, i am still using this cleanser, and it has greatly helped in clearing the acne out!

For this particular cleanser, you can't use too much of it, otherwise it will dry out your skin too much and cause the flakiness since it has salicylic acid inside. You just need to use LESS THAN HALF A PUMP! (at least that's how much i used and it worked for me) With that small amount, it will create a lot of foam and bubbles and lather it onto your face.

When i had oily combo skin type this helped to curb my acne tremendously, and my face was completely clear, other than having that time of the month. If my face felt too tight or dry, i'd just lather on slightly more moisturizer and did the trick.

Even as i have transitioned to slightly dry skin now, this does the trick. I just pack on more moisturizer and pat into my skin to lock the moisture. My face has almost zero red spots and has started to clear up more (because of the clogged pores my acne started to rise, and this product helped to reduce the redness)

All in all i think its a great product, i have repurchased 3 bottles and i don't think i can ever find another product like this....at a drugstore price!

I think the trick for this product to work for your skin is actually the amount of product you need to dispense, because everyone's skin reacts differently even though the skin type might be the same. Just a small amount will work wonders.

It has been a life changing product for me. I highly recommend it for acne prone users.

Hope this has helps!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is the only face wash I've found so far that has really cleared up my skin. I have oily, acne prone skin and my pores used to get so clogged and I'd have a lot of pimples all over my face (both smaller ones and big under the skin ones) but once I started using this face wash it really cleared my skin up. I still get a few blackheads and pimples, but they are so much better than they used to be and this face wash keeps it under control. The one thing I will say is that because of the salicylic acid, it can dry your skin out a bit. So I wouldn't recommend it for people with dry skin, or using the wash more than twice a day, and always make sure to moisturise afterwards (which you should be doing anyway, even if your skin is oily).

on 10/6/2017 12:20:00 AM

I remember this being suggested to me in my early teens as someone with extremely oily and acne prone skin. Hated it then and hate it now. After going on accutane about 7 years ago my skin has definitely cleared up but I am still prone to hormone and stress related breakouts on my chin and cheeks. Was hoping that using this once every few weeks would rid my skin of some of that extra oil during my breakouts. Wrong, I had such a bad reaction my skin was itchy, red, and slightly bumpy all while somehow being smooth at the same time? Would not suggest ever.

The first time I used this, it made my face feel clean but slight itchy but I thought it was okay since it is an acne wash. After 2 more face washes, my skin started itching like crazy that I was itching it like a mosquito bite all over. I slept and thought it would go away but the next morning, I developed bumps and my whole face was swollen. I immediately too benedryl and this whole reaction lasted for a whole week. Never in my life had this kind of reaction before but it gave me a lesson to test products before properly using them.

on 9/12/2016 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I don't know. I used it several times but always ends with my skin getting dry. I feel my face getting so tight and dry. I need to apply some moisturizer after that. Really I won't purchase it again.

on 11/28/2016 11:08:00 AM

Amazing product,I had small pimples,really cleared my skin and keeps it totally oil free,may dry your skin too much though.

on 11/22/2016 5:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I read the other reviews and I absolutely agree with them. It does nothing to clear breakouts or blemishes and makes skin super dry and flaky. I'd rather use Neutrogena pink grapefruit acne scrub.