manuka honey

manuka honey

4.4

on 5/2/2017 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I don't buy the manuka honey pictured from Whole Foods. I did once before, but I prefer the manuka honey that has a registered UMF license. That way I know I'm getting a real deal. There is a lot of fake manuka honey out there. 3x the amount of manuka honey being made is being sold. Which shows you how many fakes there are. Also some companies, such as Wedderspoon, use their own rating system that has lower criteria. So your not really getting the UMF value posted. Make sure you get one that has a UMF license number. I'm currently using Kiva 15+ (License #2888).

I use to use this all over my face as a mask. I don't anymore because I find the effects the same as using any raw honey. I love this for wound healing. It is great for healing post-breakouts that tore up your skin and left a hole. I don't use this as a treatment for active acne because I find treatments such as retinoids, tree tea oil, salicylic acid, hydrocolloid bandages, and clindamycin work better for me. I tried using it as a cleanser also, but I prefer OCM followed by using a genlte non-foaming ph-friendly face cleanser (i.e. Cerave Hydrating Cleanser).

Due to other skincare, I don't get as much bad spots anymore. I still love though to have this on hand for the random post-acne spot that leaves a small wound on my face. I put this on the wound, then apply a bandage over it for overnight. It is magic how fast this stuff speeds up wound healing!!!! For wound healing, I give it 5++ lippies if you get a licensed UMF product. It is HG for that purpose. For face cleaning, masks, etc., I've found cheaper and better alternatives.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is my number one fave thing for my face!!! it works really great.
I've been using this honey for 1 month, and i can see the result already. There is no new pimple anymore.. My face is free from pimple.. except on my period time, there will be one or two pimple, but its gonna be cured in days.
I used to have acne scar issue, esp on my right cheek. The acne scars on my left is gone now. No more dark spot..
On my right cheek, its getting better and better, cause i got deep acne scar so i know it takes time.. but i can see its getting better.. yay!!

I use this manuka honey as a mask once a day, (sometimes i use it in the morning, sometimes i use it before bed) i scrub my face with it for 5mins and then leave it for 20-30 mins, then rinse it with warm water.. voilaa!!

I only use it once a day cause its kinda expensive.. :D for daily face wash i use raw honey.

Honey is like the best thing for my face! :D
I got sensitive skins, so not many product can work well for me. but honey is like magic.. :)

Oh, if you're looking for manuka honey, please do some research first. Because so many brands claimed they're real manuka, but they're not.

you can check this website to find what brand that has real manuka honey, registered one.

Mine is Happy Valley UMF 15+

please please do your research first, so you wont get rip off.

on 12/28/2015 4:49:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

did not clear up my acne at all but really does help in reducing any redness i had on my face. it is expensive but i would pay double or triple for facial masks so in the grand scheme of things $20 is not a lot for an antibacterial mask or spot treatment

on 5/2/2016 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I will try not to repeat too much of what others have said but I would like to add some of my experience and tips about this product.

First of all, I don't (personally) use it as a cleanser. I don't use it every day, and I hardly use it all over. I either spot treat and rinse after a few minutes or add some into my yeast masks (which are yeast dissolved in milk and is by far my favorite treatment under the sun). Adding honey to this makes it dry less hard and that's far more comfortable on the skin. And of course I think it adds benefits to the treatment as well. My friend who is an aesthetician suggested applying this after washing while your face is still warm, rubbing it in for a few minutes and then letting that sit for 20-30 minutes. I tend to pick at my face so she said especially after doing that, this should help with infection and lessen redness.

As far as allergies, I could totally see this being an issue, and there may just be some people who can't take this just like with any other products, natural or not. YMMV. But I have heard in the past that eating local, natural honey, even starting slow, does help with seasonal allergies. I try to remember to buy it and use it for this reason. I live in the desert now but we still have a lot of fruit pollen and supposedly eating any honey (even if it's from different flowers) can help. This isn't proven (as far as I know, it might be though I 'd have to check) and it's just word of mouth but I figure if you like honey anyway why not eat it in hopes it does help your body get used to the pollens and lessen allergies. Obviously don't do this if you have some kind of honey sensitivity, but just for the average person. I know that's not skin care related, but just wanted to throw that in there in case it helps anyone.

The packaging could be better for a face product, but it's sold as an edible so that's understandable why it is the way it is. Totally agree/re-mentioning here about being super sanitary about this and always using a clean spoon. I have some cosmetic spatulas for other creams but I don't wash those after each time but for this I use a new clean spoon each time. I'm extremely careful with this for some reason, more so than with other products. Maybe because if it gets bacteria in it, it will ruin it more so than an average face cream which often has preservatives in them. Maybe because I also eat it and want it to be sanitary. You couldn't pay me to put my fingers in this tub!!

I know this doesn't/won't work for everyone, and unfortunately we don't know until we try it, but I have very sensitive skin and it was totally fine for me. Better than fine. I think it helps my skin tremendously and I'm glad I tried it. I would hate for someone to see all these glowing reviews, mine included, and try it and have a bad reaction, but I do think it's worth trying and if it doesn't work you can still eat it. :)

After using this for a while I'm not sure if I would get it again. I want to say it helps specifically but I'm not totally sure. Sometimes my face feels a little weird after using it. Idk it's worth a try but I'm feeling less excited about it as time went on.

on 11/15/2015 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

!!WARNING!!

Be careful when using this PLEASE!

So my skin was near perfect (for my skin) after a few years of struggling with acne and breakouts I finally found products that were working for me (dudu osan black soap! <3) and my skin just naturally calmed down. My skin was smooth and soft after I did my homemade exfoliater and my dark marks were fading. So I decided to make the terrible terrible decision to take my skin care up a notch to see if I could get to the next level of perfect skin. Bad idea.

I spent anywhere from $28-$35 on this fancy pants manuka honey from Whole Foods, after hearing amazing things about it for the skin. Mind you, I have been wanting to try Manuka honey for years but never got around to it. I used it as a mask and left it over night the first night an woke up to nothing special. My skin was fine (as it had been). I did notice a few tiny flesh colored bumps but there were only a few so I didn't mind it. I repeated this the next day and my skin seemed a little better I thought, but again not such a noticeable change.

Then day three came.........
My word! My skin was an absolute disaster. What seemed like hundreds of tiny flesh colored bumps appeared alllll over my face! Everywhere, my nose, my chin, my cheeks, my forhead, even on my ears! It was terrible. On top of the grotesque bumpy texture and look of my skin, it itched like CRAZY! I had never experienced such an itching sensation in my face before. My skin was ruined. I didn't even leave the house in the day time for a few days. I was completely devastated. My skin had been near perfect and I had ruined it. It literally took about 2-3 months for my skin to go back to normal, and although my skin is worlds better now, Its still not as perfect as it was prior to me using the Manuka honey.

I spent the days after the initial reaction desperately searching for answers. I bought Benadryl and started taking antihistamine because my face looked like I had a reaction, not a breakout. Upon researching, I found out that using honey (such as Manuka honey) on the face can cause allergic reactions for those who suffer from seasonal or summertime allergies! BING BING BING! I have the worst seasonal allergies, especially in the summer! So Manuka honey definitely caused an allergic reaction.

And so, I'm writing this review as a warning to those who may be in a similar position. While I don't doubt that Manuka honey may be great for the skin, and really help some with acne, do yourself a favor and steer clear of this if you have seasonal allergies because it may cause a terrible reaction. This goes for all types of honey not just Manuka. I have since went back to my normal cleanser and exfoliater and my skin is doing great. My advise for anyone who is going through this is to just go back to basic gentle skin care that you know your skin likes and be patient. The reaction was horrendous and it sucked but it did get better everyday. I went to the doctor but he said there's nothing you can really do, and that the body with heal itself with time (which was true). I used a benadryl creme on my face at night that really helped to soothe the skin and stop the itching because that was really bad. Hope this helped! :)

did not work out for me, I ended up with red patches on my face and it was so sticky, the feeling was disgusting. also my skin itched after application

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I highly recommend using a raw, organic Manuka honey with a UMF level of 10-16. Apply as a masque after steaming pores open first, as honey works best in conjunction with moisture. Also try using with a touch of oil, such as jojoba or grapeseed.

As most honey comes in a jar, be very careful not to contaminate it, and use a clean spoon each time. No double dipping!

If your skin reacts badly and you aren’t allergic to honey, it could be that the UMF level of the honey you are using is too strong for your skin, and you may need to either dilute it or use a honey with a lower UMF level.

on 10/22/2015 11:54:00 PM

I have been washing my face with honey for 4-5 months now (in addition to OCM to remove makeup), but just recently made the plunge and bought some Manuka honey. I bought a 10+ organic Makuna at Trader Joes for like 11 bucks, which (after some of the prices I've seen) was a pretty dang good deal.
Since switching to Manuka honey vs. regular raw honey, I've seen a huge difference in my skin. It's still not perfect, but I haven't had a cystic pimple since I started using it (which was one of my big problems). The clarity and tone of my face looks much better, and for the first time in my life I actually feel comfortable seeing people without makeup on! It has also seemed to help bring those annoying clogged pores up and out through the surface...they will turn into blackheads and thus be a lot easier to extract. Sometimes I go a little overboard with the picking and my skin ends up a bit swollen and inflamed, but I just do a honey mask with the Manuka and a little lavender oil, leave it on for 20-60 minutes (or however long I have time for) and it helps calm it right down!
Although I've only tried it once or twice, I'm not crazy about using it for a spot treatment overnight just because it's so sticky and I'm a stomach sleeper ;) BUT it does help to bring down inflammation immensely. Overall I have LOVED the switch from regular raw to Manuka honey and for me it's worth the extra few dollars!!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is more first aid than beauty, but mananuka helped me keep a fingertip, so that's pretty beautiful. I hurt my hand, specifically the side of my ring finger. Squeamish, stop here and skip to next p. Avulsion (big flap of skin), lost half a fingernail, deep, deep cut.

I didn't get great care in the rural ER, but immediately started doing wet wound care and kept it covered with honey under a nonstick bandaid. It took two months to heal, but I didn't lose the part that had been lifted up. It reattached and sensation is back. The scar is not terrible. I had been so worried that part of my finger would be lost, but I think keeping the honey on it encouraged reconnection in a way that it wouldn't have with a dry scab. Please see a doctor if you are hurt, and follow their recommendations, but if you have access to real wound honey, it seems like an amazing healing agent.

on 10/12/2015 3:00:00 AM

I use Wedderspoon 100% Raw Organic Manuka Honey UMF 16+, bought for about 33$ at a local health food store.

As a mask Manuka honey is great, although my skin can sometimes become sort of irritated/red/hot if I leave it on for too long or if hair or something accidentally gets on my face while it's on.

I use it as a spot treatment and prefer that use rather than as a mask. Left overnight, I do find that it reduces swelling. I put it on open wound type pimples that I've picked at or popped and it helps with the scabbing and healing process. Reduces inflammation for sure and makes it hurt less to the touch in the morning.

I think it brightens my complexion as well after using it as a mask, I generally found that any other honey was simply not as effective for topical use. Manuka honey is the way to go.