New York Color Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder - Translucent

Price: $

Price: $

on 7/1/2017 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I have tan skin and this makes my foundation look ashy. I haven't tried a setting spray on top because I already threw the powder away.. Yes I don't like it.

Also it makes my undereyes look very dry, cracked and powdery, but on the rest of the face it doesnt control oil as well as Id like.

Maybe fair women that use setting spray and powder sparingly would prefer this. I threw away both this loose version and the compact version, which I found to be better than the loose.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This powder gives my foundation the most beautiful finish because it is so finely milled. It doesn't give that nasty whitecast look that silica powders create. My under-eye lines aren't magnified nor is the nasty texture of my skin. Infact I feel like this "blurs" imperfections. The shade translucent has a slight tint to it. It is a pale cool toned beige. I lean more warm toned, yet this hasn't been an issue yet.

However what has been an issue, is the fact this breaks me out if left on too long. I've purchased, thrown out, then repurchased NYC Smooth Skin loose powder about 5 times over the years. It's definitely not holy grail quality, because I find it doesn't keep me matte as long as my beloved Coty Airspun. My sebum breaking through is likely the cause of the pimples that accompany using this.

The gorgeous finish is what keeps drawing me back in.There is no shimmer (my crater pores are thankful). After looking at the ingredients I am fairly certain it's the high silk powder content that create the "glow".

I will keep to using my "holy grail" powder long term. New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder definitely has it's perks, so I'd recommend everyone at least tries it. For about $4, I don't mind throwing it out/repurchasing it.

on 4/21/2014 9:05:00 PM

LOVE love this loose powder. SO so disappointed it has been discontinued. I used to buy Este Lauder loose powder for $40 until I went through a recession and discovered NYC's loose powder for $3. I have tried all past and present drugstore and highend loose powders and NYC was by far the best. For the price it works great. It went on smooth and flawless. The staying powder was also pretty good. It also didn't oxidized. Can't believe I wasted so much money on highend powder when this was around. Too bad I discovered it too late. I was only able to buy one container. NYC! If you're listening please please bring it back.

This powder is good, but not great.

It is worth the money but don't expect it to equal something hight end. The difference is still there. You will become more and more aware of it over time. The texture is coarse. Not to mention that for oily skin it might not be mattifying enough.

When I first tried it I was really impressed. I use loose powder after sunscreen. But it did not wear that well. The finish became less and less uniform every time I blotted.

It is still a good option though if you apply powder very lightly instead. After my sunscreen I need quite a bit of powder to remove the sheen I get. Even if I look slightly powdered at first, my very oily male skin will quickly take care of that.) But as I said, for most people who use powder sparingly this product might be more than OK.

The color is quite light and there is certainly some pink in there. But I doubt it contains much pigment. It's truly translucent. The packaging is just OK. The main problem is that the cover doesn't screw shut. Nor does it click securely in place. It just sits on there, and could easily come off in a makeup bag. But let's be honest, loose powders are not really meant to be carried with you everywhere.) I rest mine at home, quietly on the desk.)) If I go on a trip, I just block the sifter with tape. I have opened all the holes because I don't tap powder on the cover. I block the sifter with a large brush, and turn the container upside down depositing the powder directly on the brush instead. It's less messy and more economical that way.

Is it cheap? Yes.
To all Canadians I suggest checking out the loose powder by MARCELLE.
Considering the size, at Walmart it costs just as much $2.97 for 20g and $10.97 for 70g.. It is finer, smoother, impossible to overdo, and looks natural right away - no need for a setting spray.

on 2/10/2014 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

This powder is great if you're on a budget, considering how cheap it is ($3-4 at Target). It sets my makeup nicely, and although it's not the most finely milled powder I've ever used, it doesn't come off as cakey. My only gripe is the horrendous packaging. I made the mistake of completely removing the paper the sifter and about half of the product came out into the lid. And the lid doesn't screw shut, so I have to be very careful when I'm opening/closing it. I can't complain too much considering how inexpensive this is. Overall, this is a great drugstore powder which I've repurchased many time, and I definitely recommend it.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This powder is terrible:( I was left with a cakey, powdery, grey cast (for reference I am an NC35, olive skin yellow undertones). Just skip this powder if your looking for something "translucent" head right on over the E.L.F. display and pick up the HD powder it's much more forgiving and milled more finely.

on 3/7/2013 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Was looking for a cheap alternative to bareMinerals Mineral Veil, and the verdict is still up in the air on this. The packaging, like others have said, is awful. Powder gets everywhere so be careful- definitely cover all but 3 wholes and keep it in a ziploc bag.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this powder. When paired with NYC's smooth liquid foundation my makeup looks good and holds up throughout the day. It doesn't add any color and sets my foundation without making it look cakey. When I apply I actually use the puff it comes with. I take off the clear plastic sieve to get to the product. It's such a good product and it's so cheap...you can't go wrong with this one.

on 9/20/2012 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I use this powder specifically for catching any "fallout" when applying eye shadows.

Because I am one of those types of girls who prefers to complete my foundation/concealer routine before I do my eye makeup, I am always concerned with eye shadow fallout - and especially so because I'm not the neatest when applying my eye makeup, if that makes any sense.

Basically after my foundation is complete I will sweep a generous amount of this under my eyes and work my magic, and then swipe it away with my trusty fan brush when done. Fallout is gone, my under eye area feels super smooth & my concealer has been set just a little more (which for me is always a good thing). Also worth mentioning, I am an olive-tanned skin girl and never experience any chalkiness on my complexion. Not to mention that the retail price for this is 2.99$ at my local drugstore here in New York City. I was able to grab this for 1.80$ at Rite Aid because they were running an additional 40% off on NYC Cosmetics. Score!

All in all, I find the formulation to be super smooth and almost buttery feeling, it knocks out the messy job with eye shadow fallout & helps to set my concealer as a bonus, and the price cannot be beat with a stick. Seriously. Though the packaging leaves a lot to be desired, I store this at home, so really no complaints from me.

Will most definitely purchase again.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

Good stuff and cheap remind me of corn silk powder that you can no longer find.