Retin A

Retin A
Retin ARetin ARetin A cream 0.025% & 0.05%Retin A cream 0.025% Retin A cream 0.05%

4.1

Retin A Cream Each g of cream contains: tretinoin 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.05% or 0.1% in a bland, hydrophilic base. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, isopropyl myristate, polyoxyl (40) stearate, purified water, sorbic acid, stearic acid, stearyl alcohol and xanthan gum. Retin A Gel Each g of gel contains: tretinoin 0.01% or 0.025%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, ethanol undenatured and hydroxypropyl cellulose. Retin-A Liquid (0.05% Tretinoin w/w) polyethylene glycol 400, butylated hydroxytoluene and alcohol (denatured with tert-butyl alcohol and brucine sulfate) 55%

on 7/18/2017 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I really have a love/hate relationship with with my tretinoin 0.05%
I have TRIED to use it every OTHER night because I definitely cannot use it every night. Mainly because I cannot tolerate the constant all day peeling, redness, as well as the greasiness on my face! Ugh!! Using it every other night is almost as bad :(
SO...I have it down to a science. I use my tretinoin two times per week. On Saturday night, then again on Wednesday night. That gives me enough time to purge and peel for 3 days before I use it again. I can keep a constant exfoliation going on, without too terribly much peeling, flakey skin and redness ruining my daily makeup application. This is definitely not for everybody. You really have to keep up with gentle, manual exfoliation to keep the flaking at bay. It's a pain in the a**! Hence the 3 lippie rating.
Ok, so aside from the superbly annoying peeling and flaking, the pros of tretinoin are: noticable Improvement in hyperpigmentation, smaller pores, and firmer and smoother overall skin texture. Worth it?? Yes... IF you have the time and patience to exfoliate your skin every single morning before applying your makeup then yes this is for you. Like, sometimes I have to literally pick 50 pieces of skin off of my face with tweezers in a 10 x mirror in the morning before I put my makeup on. Did I mention what a pain in the a** this stuff is?? LOL

on 5/5/2017 6:39:00 PM

After having tried "everything" on the market, you get annoyed by the fact that so little actually keep its promises and it's all about brands and packaging. I have luckily never had a major acne problem, but I get some pimples once in a while. My main issue is all these black- and whiteheads, and they seem to be extremely hard to get rid of. My skin type is definitely combination, with an oily and sometimes dry t-zone and normal otherwise. My pores have recently gotten slightly larger, especially on the cheeks near the nose, and I connect this with genetics and maybe a beginning aging process. I have no wrinkles due to my young age, but one very slight line on the forehead and under my eyes. After reading about the promising benefits of Retin-A, I got it prescribed 2 weeks ago and have used it ever since. My goals are to get clearer and more glowy skin, prevent aging and improve skin structure(tighter pores etc.).

I'm definitely impatient regarding skin products, but after having read multiple of reviews from people that have used this for years, I now know that patience is key and you will get results accordingly.

I'll make updates along the way:

Week 1: I ignored the advices about starting slowly, and applied the cream every night. After seeing no peeling the first few days, I decided to apply it in the mornings as well. My skin isn't very sensitive. Obviously no results seen during this week, but after a 5 days time I started peeling on my chin and around the mouth. In fact, quite a lot. Some peeling on my forehead and nose too, but nothing bad.

Week 2: Continued to use the cream every morning and night. Still peeling a bit, mainly around the chin/mouth area, but it's not bothering me. Now as I'll be starting on my 3rd week, I can already tell my skin has become more glowy and the blackheads on my forehead has nearly disappeared! The pores still look the same, so do the black- and whiteheads on my nose and chin. But this is a great beginning, and it keeps me motivated to continue.

Week 3: I still peel, but if I exfoliate my skin regularly it works well with makeup etc. My skin does not seem to get red and irritated anymore. No improvement in skin since last week, but I'll keep going!

Week 4: Finally!! Peeling is gone, my skin feels softer and I've got a beautiful rosy glow. My pores do in fact look enlarged, and my skin feels more oily, but in general my skin looks better and smoother than before. No difference regarding lines, but blackheads/whiteheads seem to have diminished a bit. Curious to see how the next weeks will be like!

on 4/17/2017 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

My history with acne hasn't been too different than the rest of you. Acne started at 14 and progressively got worse. I tried everything OTC and spent thousands of dollars on treatments that never seemed to work from drugstore to sephora.I can't be on estrogen BC because I get headaches, so I was put on the progesterone only implant and that didn't help my skin at all. Last year, I got fed up. I went to a new derm and they prescribed me differin again and minocycline antibiotic. I used differin 0.1% every night and took 100mg twice a day of mino. My skin cleared immediately, which I believe was from the antibiotic. I stayed on the antibiotic for 7.5 months and then stopped taking it but continued with the differin. That was in November.

Fast forward to March of this year and I just couldn't handle my skin. It was an oil slick, I had to use about 6 oil blotting sheets a day and it was still oily. Then the break outs started coming. I was relatively clear for months and then it was just cyst after cyst and one bump got so big on my chin that I looked disfigured. I went back to the derm March 20th and he immediately said it was hormonal. He prescribed me 100mg of spironolactone ($30 with insurance for about 3.5 month supply) once a day and the lowest strength of Retin-A ($10) cream to fight my acne marks and oiliness.

I refused Accutane, I wanted to try this route first even though both derms have told me to try it out.

**This is a mixed review for both Retin-A and Spironolactone** and I'm going copy this review and put it under the Spiro reviews as well since I started both products at the same time.

Nightly routine: Remove make-up with Kirkland brand wipes from Costco (love this stuff), wash face with my clarisonic mia and a gentle cleanser (normally cetaphil), let face dry for varied amounts of time (15-45 minutes), and then coat a pea sized amount to face - avoiding the dry areas that haven't fully healed from the night prior. Hour or so later I'll put on some moisturizer if my face feels tight or I go sans moisturizer and coat my face the next night when I'm not using the Retin-A (I use ponds, it's nice and heavy). Then I take my spiro pill and go to bed. The Retin-A seems to be a balancing act that you need to figure out for your skin. My skin reacts best if I use is 2-3 times a week.

Week 1: No new break outs and no reduction in oil. No dryness or upset stomach from medication but I only used Retin-A twice that week to ease my skin into it. I took my pill every day.

Week 2: My face exploded at the end of week 2. I had 4 cysts sprout up on my chin and a lump on my forehead (I never really got acne on my forehead), and many whiteheads around my mouth area. It was bad. I was embarrassed to leave the house. My skin was somehow dry and oily at the same time. Mostly just dry around my mouth and upper lip. It looked awful. **Started taking my leftover minocycline antibiotics to help me through the initial breakout this week and the third week** It did help speed up the healing process I believe. I didn't ask my derm about using my own leftover medication - you should, but I was desperate. I used it as prescribed before and then I stopped at the end of week 3.

Week 3: Face is still full of zits from week 2, and it looks bad. Skin was very dry, still around mouth mostly. I canceled all my plans so I wouldn't have to leave the house, other than work. Face looks less oily and I don't feel that well. I've always had weird digestive issues, but I assume this is from the pills rather than the Retin-A.

Week 4: Skin may or may not be reverting back to old oiliness, boobs are feeling a bit fuller in my normal bra so they’re definitely growing, face is getting over the huge initial breakout that began at the end of week 2 but I did wake up with a two small white heads around my mouth. Skin that doesn’t have break outs or old acne marks looks lighter and brighter (granted, that’s not much skin, my skin was pretty bad). I've worked up to using Retin-A three times a week and it seems to be going well.

My face looks less clogged and congested the day after I use Retin-A so I will continue to use the product. I know it takes time for products to work so don't give up! I am optimistic!

I’ll keep updating. Reviews with updates is what is getting me through this so thank you.

Only updates from here:

Week 5: Same routine as before, but if my skin doesn't look irritated or peely, I use the retin-a an extra night or just as spot treatment. I was kidding myself with the oiliness, still very oily. I got two new breakouts near my mouth, but they went away in 2 days. My face is quite clear right now. No change in leftover acne marks yet. I will add in a weekly mask to help with oiliness as my face allows. I usually use one from the Murad line that I purchase at sephora. I'll update in a few weeks time. Also, I don't know if this is from spiro, but I've lost 5 pounds since the last time I weighed myself. I always wear sunscreen, regardless if i'll be outside much.

I long for the day I can go out to run errands without a face full of makeup :) still hopeful and liking my results! With this, I'm honestly saving money. No more are the days where I buy a ton of skin products. I'm planning on cleaning out my drawers if this stuff continues to work as well as it has been!

Week 9: still break outs here and there but small ones, and they go away quickly. No change in oiliness. My face definitely looks the clearest I remember it ever being. Old acne marks are disappearing and it's keeping the severe break outs at bay :)

4.5 months: I still break out, and my skin is still very oily, but the breakouts are far fewer and far less severe. They pop up as little white heads or sebum pockets from all my oil and they usually don't take more than a few days to go down, but the redness takes a long time to go away. My overall complexion is way better - it's definitely getting rid o

on 1/29/2017 9:07:00 PM

I had been using OTC retinol products for a few years when I decided to ask my dermatologist for a prescription for Retin A, as I'm rounding the bend to 35 and would really like to age well and still deal with cystic acne on occasion. He prescribed me the lowest concentration of tretinoin (0.01%) in a gel base.

I started off applying it twice a week at night, allowing my skin to dry fully after cleansing to avoid irritation. The gel is high in alcohol and dries in seconds, so you have to apply it somewhat quickly. I then wait half an hour before applying a gentle moisturizer (Cerave) because I find if I don't, I get too dried out and irritated overnight.

My derm did mention that buffering (applying moisturizer before or after the Retin A) will reduce its effectiveness, however I am SO pleased with the results after just one month. Every stubborn blackhead and sebaceous filament I've had for years is completely gone. My pores look like they've been vacuumed out. Already a few fine lines have plumped up and filled in. No purging or breakouts like I had been warned about. I'm now using it every other night.

I use a rich moisturizer with broad spectrum sunscreen in the morning to protect my newly fresh skin. Overall very happy, and because it was prescribed as an acne treatment, my insurance covers the Rx at $20 per 15 g tube.

on 3/17/2016 4:19:00 AM

i wanted to pipe in, i am finishing my 3rd week using my 0,025% tretinoin (generic brand) cream. i never had acne as a teenager (also partially because i took BCP for 10 years so likely suppressed any mild acne i would have gotten), and all of a sudden in the past 6 months now in my mid-20s i started getting mild to moderate acne. it's not very severe but bad enough where i had about 5 "active" pimples at any one time, including 1 or 2 of those being cystic, and because i have very very fair skin the red marks would take MONTHS sometimes to go away. so i was really really frustrated.

and now i'm thrilled i finally found something that works! best of all, i haven't really had the purging or extreme dryness others seem to have gotten. i think it's because i really eased my skin into the cream, the first 2 weeks i applied it only every other night after waiting at least 20-30 minutes after my skin was dry. i use a gentle non-soap cleanser, this cream, and a good cold cream moisturizer (embryolisse) at night and in the morning i wash my face with water and put on a very gentle roche posay epiduo BP cream and some light moisturizer - THAT'S IT. i took out the tea tree oil, vitamin c serum, toners etc. that i had been using previously because my skin already feels like it's handling a lot with the cream. i HIGHLY recommend both waiting a long time to make sure your skin is really, really dry before applying this, only apply a pea size each night, and definitely start every other day or every two days at first to ease into it. by now (3 weeks in) i use it every night and my skin is liking it, but i may take a day off per week.

the results so far are really good, and they will only keep getting better. i just passed my PMS phase (worst time of month by far for my acne) and i only had 1 small cystic pimple which is already going away after 3 days or so. my skin feels a bit raw, if it's a sunny day and i will be outside i'm putting on spf 30 of course but as it's still winter-ish and i live in northern europe the sun is really weak (my doctor's recommendation, not mine). my red marks from previous breakouts are nearly completey faded, and my skin texture is already improving as well. i hope that this will help prevent future breakouts

on 2/4/2016 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

So i'll start of by saying that I've had acne for 10 years! Now that im in my 20's, it has gotten MUCH better. I've currently on BC, i get facials (Extractions) 1-2x month, I use a facial brush, neutrogena microdermabrasion brush, aztec masks, high frequency machine (at home), and clindamycin lotion in the morning and a bunch of other stuff as well.
Anyway when I first went to the DR about 8 years ago, they prescribed me retin-A but It did not work for me. Now 8 years later, a different dr prescribed it for me, and Im not sure if its the product that has been working for me alone or just everything that I am using in conjunction. When I first started using this medication again, my face broke out terribly! I wanted to stop the medication automatically but the DR told me that it means the medication is doing its job, its bringing everything from under the surface to the top. "Shedding layers of my skin". I've been on the medication for 3 weeks now, so far so good despite the initial breakout. My skin is much smoother and lighter. I only use it at night, right before bed and a little goes a long way. I only paid 5$ for my prescription so far the price its great.

on 5/29/2015 12:41:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

definite skin saver.
I read that it changes the cell structure.. a REAL change to your skin..not just topical temporary stuff.

i get it cheap. Johnson and Johnson india brand...

on 5/28/2015 4:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Best money i've ever spent on my skin.. i have alot of acne scars...i don't usually pop them but they still leave those horrid brown scars...tried everything in the market till i tried this...i cant get this without a prescription in my country..so i buy this at ioffer.com from a thai seller...around 2 for $50...so its abt $25 pr tube for the 0.1%...but u must be patient though..skin gets worse before getting better...almost give up when i was looking like a peeling lizard...glad i continued..if u have scarring problems or wrinkles do give this a try..u wun be disappointed...Would use this forever :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I have used adalpalene for two years and it was life changing in curing my acne completely when BHA, BP and BHA wasn't enough.
I recently have used CORDES-VAS, a paraben free and emollient retin-A brand that my mum gets off her boss. You can also bulk order cheap online.
HOLY MOLY the peeling is like nothing I've ever experienced as a very oily skinned girl. I am 25 and want to start on the anti-aging protocol early.
I do like Retin A a lot and will continue to use it. Right now I use it 2-3 times a week and will work my way up over time as my skin adapts. Moisturiser is necessary as is manual exfoliation, I use a clarisonic and Clean & Clear oil free 2% BHA moisturiser during the day. Avene repair cream, Aquaphor or Rosehip oil work great to soothe and moisturise at night.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I have been using Retin-A since my early 20's when I began to suffer from cystic acne, and I have never really stopped using it - over 25 years. YOU MUST WEAR SUNBLOCK if you use this. I always put on sunblock, always. I wish I had been this vigilant when I was in my twenties - would have saved me some money on laser treatments.
If you are a young woman just starting to use Retin-A (or Tazorac) - and cursing your acne - trust me, you will be laughing later when you look ten years younger than your friends. Wear red lipstick, take it easy on the make-up, and be your own beautiful self.
If you are an older woman who was just prescribed this: 1) don't put it on a wet face 2) apply a moisturizer over the Retin-A - and you will want to stock up on sensitive skin moisturizers (Cerave, Eucerin) - and take it easy on your foundation if you start to peel a little. Too much make-up will just look worse. Clinique makes a good loose powder with a yellow tone that will be a big help.