Retin A

Retin A
Retin ARetin ARetin A cream 0.025% & 0.05%Retin A cream 0.025% Retin A cream 0.05%

Retin A Cream Each g of cream contains: tretinoin 0.01%, 0.025%, 0.05% or 0.1% in a bland, hydrophilic base. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, isopropyl myristate, polyoxyl (40) stearate, purified water, sorbic acid, stearic acid, stearyl alcohol and xanthan gum. Retin A Gel Each g of gel contains: tretinoin 0.01% or 0.025%. Nonmedicinal ingredients: butylated hydroxytoluene, ethanol undenatured and hydroxypropyl cellulose. Retin-A Liquid (0.05% Tretinoin w/w) polyethylene glycol 400, butylated hydroxytoluene and alcohol (denatured with tert-butyl alcohol and brucine sulfate) 55%

on 3/15/2018 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

After having used Avene Eluage Cream (Retinaldehyde) for 8 years I decided to move on and I asked my GP a prescription for Tretinoin Cream 0.02%. Just for anti-aging. I have dry, sensitive Rosacean skin and I can't tolerate many actives so I knew there was a possibility my skin would not like Retin-A. However, knowing it's the best anti-aging treatment out there, I just wanted to try and see. So I got my prescription (I only have to pay €15 for a tube).

I already knew the "guidelines" of using Tretinoin the right way to minimise risk of irritation, redness and flaking:
-start with the lowest strength
-build up very slowly; start with once or twice a week for at least a month; then slowly increasing frequency
-wash face with a mild cleanser and wait for 30 minutes
-apply a pea-sized amount on dry skin; for less risk of irritation mix or buffer with a gentle moisturizer
-moisturize extra
-wear a stable, high SPF/PPD sunscreen daily
-lay off any other actives/exfoliants/harsh products for a while
-take a step back if you notice any sign of irritation; don't think "it's part of the process; it means it's working and just push through"!

Some mild peeling isn't uncommon when starting Tretinoin but ongoing/severe flaking is a sign of misusage/overusage and is counter-effective. So the first night I did my PM routine and applied a tiny amount mixed with my moisturizer (Eucerin Q10 Cream or Avene Tolerance Extreme Cream). It felt good; no irritation or redness at all. And I continued for the next month; only using twice a week. Still no flaking, peeling, redness or irritation. Amazing! I did notice my skin becoming smoother and I didn't even had to use my Metrocream anymore.
In the next 2 months worked my way up to 3-4 times a week (still mixed with some moisturizer) and my skin still loved it. I also applied it around my eyes and on my neck without any irritation. As I know 3 x a week is still effective I didn't and don't feel the need to increase frequency and risk irritation. I'm using Tretinoin Cream for a little over 2.5 years now and I still love it. My very finicky skin loves it and I'm very grateful for it. My skin is incredibly soft and smooth and I no longer have Rosacea pustules and papulas. And at 48 I still don't have any forehead lines, crow's feet or such though of course other factors like having good genes contribute to this as well;-)
I really love my Tretinoin Cream. It works and it's cheap. I use 3-4 tubes a year which costs me €45-€70 a year. I'd say don't waste $$$ on overhyped and ineffective "anti-aging" creams and ask a prescription. Try it but be very careful. Vitamin A acid is very powerful and you really have to build up very slowly. Be patient. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Tretinoin doesn't work overnight and it isn't a miracle worker. It takes at least 6 months to notice real benefits and it takes years or even decades for it to thicken the skin (Tretinoin thins the epidermis but thickens the dermis) and to notice the true anti-aging properties. Last but not least: it's not for everyone. Some people just cannot tolerate it so they would have to use other anti-aging treatments/actives like vitamin C. And/or another form of Vitamin A like Retinol or Retinaldehyde. Maybe less potent, but still effective.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

When and if you feel it is time to get serious about skincare, whatever your concerns/needs, Retin A is the first course of action.
I considered removing one lippie because of the “learning curve” and potential risks (peeling, burning) that come along with it, but considering this is in theory only available under a doctor’s care I feel it covers itself.
I’ve been very lucky with my skin my entire life, because I got my mother’s skin and her strict tutelage along with it. I’m 48 years old and I’ve never touched my mother’s face. You’ll just have to take my word for it that she’s not a crazy person, just a woman who knows the principles of good skin care. And among those are “we don’t touch mommy’s face”. We also don’t touch our own faces. We clean our face every night and use a good moisturizer. Covered with Vaseline when it gets very dry.

Which is exactly what I’ve done, with varying degrees of success.

However, when it came time to take my skin seriously I stopped all (almost all) the nonsense and started using Retin A. As directed. Like a grownup.

This wasn’t so easy for me because I’m lazy and impatient, a combination that rarely yields great results in any arena.

But I knew the day of reckoning would come so I got a prescription (0.05%) and started applying on dry skin after cleansing and waiting. Then waiting before applying whichever serum/cream/oil I’m into at the time. I apply this, as I do all face care products, from the boobies up. I started slowly, about twice a week, because experience has shown me (many times due to my usual “guns a’ blazin’“ approach to everything) that peeling really sneaks up on a bitch; one day you’re a relatively normal person and the next day you look like Jeff Goldblum transitioning into The Fly.
And whataya know that slow and steady thing really works. I have had minimal peeling and now apply this once ever two or three nights. I can only speak for myself when I say I don’t feel there’s much benefit to nightly use as opposed to bi-nightly.

Over the last several years I’ve used Retin A for a month or two but about six months ago I decided to get serious. Despite my age I have very few gripes or “go-to trouble spots” to reference, and I am using this as more of a preventative measure than reparative, but I do have slight elevens (I’m very angry especially when asleep). My skin has improved as much as good skin can improve - it is definitely smoother, more firm, certainly line free. The elevens (Goddamn them) are still there but softer.

There is no disputing that Retin A helps cells/ collagen regenerate. It also enhances the efficacy of other products, even on nights it’s not used. I love vitamin C topicals and I use those on “off” nights because the combo can be a bit strong.

SPF and caution are the two keys to success with this wonderful product. And patience. Lots of that too. But you will be rewarded greatly. Even if it’s years from now.

on 1/14/2018 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I really hoped this would work for me because I am over-50 and aging rapidly since menopause (I've read collagen drops by 30% within the first few years after menopause). I see so many YouTubers, including YT dermatologists, rave about retin-a but I have tried both retin-a and otc retinol several times and both make my face feel like I have a horrible sunburn.

The times I've tried retin-a (.05, then dropping down to .025, then retinol) I worked my way up very slowly (taking at least 2 months to work up to a 3x per week application), I always buffered it with moisturizer, applied sparingly, waited an hour after moisturizing before applying, etc, but it always wound up making my skin feel burned, especially on my cheeks. I even tried backing down to just once per week and I still got the burning sensation. Each time I stopped using it it took 1 month for the burning sensation to stop. I'd rather look older than deal with the burning, no mater how "good" it is for anti-aging.

on 11/22/2017 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This product helps to speed up the fading and healing of my acne scars. New scars peel away completely within a week. Old scars are more stubborn though but definitely faded significantly.

on 11/20/2017 2:22:00 AM

Definitely recommend Retin-A Tretinoin cream for aging skin, firstly recommend to use low-tretinoin consistency 0.025% and after go deeper with 0.05% and 0.1% creams and gels. My skin became more youthful, without pigmentation, brighter, wrinkles and fine lines became less visible and its only within first 2 months of usage, i’m pretty impressed! Thanks Retin-A! Will use it all my life, would recommend it to everyone who have signs of aging, wrinkles, color fading, discoloration etc problems. My doctors say that they dont prescribe Retin-A. So I got it without doc (thanks google). You can Google the keyword "RET247GET" to find reliable sources. Hope this helps! Cyntia.

on 10/8/2017 8:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff is such a pain to use! After you use it your skin peels for days. I originally bought if for clogged pores that nothing would help with and it didn't work as amazingly as I had hoped. So for a few months I used it for an acne spot treatment, which it worked amazing for. But the last couple months I've been been using it for pitted scaring and amazing isn't even a big enough word! For the last 20 years I have had pitted scaring (on my nose of all places) and even though I've mastered the art of covering them up (spackling miracle-blur) it has caused me so much anxiety and caused me to feel so self-counciousness. I have 3 holes right down the middle of my nose for everyone to wonder what the hell happened (acne happened, don't pick your acne) and I was starting to lose hope in fixing them (ps don't dermaroll your nose). I use 0.05% 1 or 2 times a week, or when ever I have time to look peely-freaky for the next couple of days and I pretty much shed an entire layer of skin. A few months of this and the scars are a third of what they were! SO amazed! They have become not that big of a deal at all. Oh and I forgot to mention I've never been to the dermatologist but heard people online highly recommending this guy on facebook under the name "Online Retin A" and think I paid about $33 and it took 2 weeks to get from Bangkok, Thailand to Canada. I'm not sure what people usually pay but this seemed very worth it to not have to pay to see a derm. Overall, it's very inconvenient stuff to use but totally worth it:)

on 7/18/2017 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I really have a love/hate relationship with with my tretinoin 0.05%
I have TRIED to use it every OTHER night because I definitely cannot use it every night. Mainly because I cannot tolerate the constant all day peeling, redness, as well as the greasiness on my face! Ugh!! Using it every other night is almost as bad :(
SO...I have it down to a science. I use my tretinoin two times per week. On Saturday night, then again on Wednesday night. That gives me enough time to purge and peel for 3 days before I use it again. I can keep a constant exfoliation going on, without too terribly much peeling, flakey skin and redness ruining my daily makeup application. This is definitely not for everybody. You really have to keep up with gentle, manual exfoliation to keep the flaking at bay. It's a pain in the a**! Hence the 3 lippie rating.
Ok, so aside from the superbly annoying peeling and flaking, the pros of tretinoin are: noticable Improvement in hyperpigmentation, smaller pores, and firmer and smoother overall skin texture. Worth it?? Yes... IF you have the time and patience to exfoliate your skin every single morning before applying your makeup then yes this is for you. Like, sometimes I have to literally pick 50 pieces of skin off of my face with tweezers in a 10 x mirror in the morning before I put my makeup on. Did I mention what a pain in the butt this stuff is?? LOL

on 5/5/2017 6:39:00 PM

After having tried "everything" on the market, you get annoyed by the fact that so little actually keep its promises and it's all about brands and packaging. I have luckily never had a major acne problem, but I get some pimples once in a while. My main issue is all these black- and whiteheads, and they seem to be extremely hard to get rid of. My skin type is definitely combination, with an oily and sometimes dry t-zone and normal otherwise. My pores have recently gotten slightly larger, especially on the cheeks near the nose, and I connect this with genetics and maybe a beginning aging process. I have no wrinkles due to my young age, but one very slight line on the forehead and under my eyes. After reading about the promising benefits of Retin-A, I got it prescribed 2 weeks ago and have used it ever since. My goals are to get clearer and more glowy skin, prevent aging and improve skin structure(tighter pores etc.).

I'm definitely impatient regarding skin products, but after having read multiple of reviews from people that have used this for years, I now know that patience is key and you will get results accordingly.

I'll make updates along the way:

Week 1: I ignored the advices about starting slowly, and applied the cream every night. After seeing no peeling the first few days, I decided to apply it in the mornings as well. My skin isn't very sensitive. Obviously no results seen during this week, but after a 5 days time I started peeling on my chin and around the mouth. In fact, quite a lot. Some peeling on my forehead and nose too, but nothing bad.

Week 2: Continued to use the cream every morning and night. Still peeling a bit, mainly around the chin/mouth area, but it's not bothering me. Now as I'll be starting on my 3rd week, I can already tell my skin has become more glowy and the blackheads on my forehead has nearly disappeared! The pores still look the same, so do the black- and whiteheads on my nose and chin. But this is a great beginning, and it keeps me motivated to continue.

Week 3: I still peel, but if I exfoliate my skin regularly it works well with makeup etc. My skin does not seem to get red and irritated anymore. No improvement in skin since last week, but I'll keep going!

Week 4: Finally!! Peeling is gone, my skin feels softer and I've got a beautiful rosy glow. My pores do in fact look enlarged, and my skin feels more oily, but in general my skin looks better and smoother than before. No difference regarding lines, but blackheads/whiteheads seem to have diminished a bit. Curious to see how the next weeks will be like!

on 1/29/2017 9:07:00 PM

I had been using OTC retinol products for a few years when I decided to ask my dermatologist for a prescription for Retin A, as I'm rounding the bend to 35 and would really like to age well and still deal with cystic acne on occasion. He prescribed me the lowest concentration of tretinoin (0.01%) in a gel base.

I started off applying it twice a week at night, allowing my skin to dry fully after cleansing to avoid irritation. The gel is high in alcohol and dries in seconds, so you have to apply it somewhat quickly. I then wait half an hour before applying a gentle moisturizer (Cerave) because I find if I don't, I get too dried out and irritated overnight.

My derm did mention that buffering (applying moisturizer before or after the Retin A) will reduce its effectiveness, however I am SO pleased with the results after just one month. Every stubborn blackhead and sebaceous filament I've had for years is completely gone. My pores look like they've been vacuumed out. Already a few fine lines have plumped up and filled in. No purging or breakouts like I had been warned about. I'm now using it every other night.

I use a rich moisturizer with broad spectrum sunscreen in the morning to protect my newly fresh skin. Overall very happy, and because it was prescribed as an acne treatment, my insurance covers the Rx at $20 per 15 g tube.

on 4/17/2017 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

My history with acne hasn't been too different than the rest of you. Acne started at 14 and progressively got worse. I tried everything OTC and spent thousands of dollars on treatments that never seemed to work from drugstore to sephora.I can't be on estrogen BC because I get headaches, so I was put on the progesterone only implant and that didn't help my skin at all. Last year, I got fed up. I went to a new derm and they prescribed me differin again and minocycline antibiotic. I used differin 0.1% every night and took 100mg twice a day of mino. My skin cleared immediately, which I believe was from the antibiotic. I stayed on the antibiotic for 7.5 months and then stopped taking it but continued with the differin. That was in November.

Fast forward to March of this year and I just couldn't handle my skin. It was an oil slick, I had to use about 6 oil blotting sheets a day and it was still oily. Then the break outs started coming. I was relatively clear for months and then it was just cyst after cyst and one bump got so big on my chin that I looked disfigured. I went back to the derm March 20th and he immediately said it was hormonal. He prescribed me 100mg of spironolactone ($30 with insurance for about 3.5 month supply) once a day and the lowest strength of Retin-A ($10) cream to fight my acne marks and oiliness.

I refused Accutane, I wanted to try this route first even though both derms have told me to try it out.

**This is a mixed review for both Retin-A and Spironolactone** and I'm going copy this review and put it under the Spiro reviews as well since I started both products at the same time.

Nightly routine: Remove make-up with Kirkland brand wipes from Costco (love this stuff), wash face with my clarisonic mia and a gentle cleanser (normally cetaphil), let face dry for varied amounts of time (15-45 minutes), and then coat a pea sized amount to face - avoiding the dry areas that haven't fully healed from the night prior. Hour or so later I'll put on some moisturizer if my face feels tight or I go sans moisturizer and coat my face the next night when I'm not using the Retin-A (I use ponds, it's nice and heavy). Then I take my spiro pill and go to bed. The Retin-A seems to be a balancing act that you need to figure out for your skin. My skin reacts best if I use is 2-3 times a week.

Week 1: No new break outs and no reduction in oil. No dryness or upset stomach from medication but I only used Retin-A twice that week to ease my skin into it. I took my pill every day.

Week 2: My face exploded at the end of week 2. I had 4 cysts sprout up on my chin and a lump on my forehead (I never really got acne on my forehead), and many whiteheads around my mouth area. It was bad. I was embarrassed to leave the house. My skin was somehow dry and oily at the same time. Mostly just dry around my mouth and upper lip. It looked awful. **Started taking my leftover minocycline antibiotics to help me through the initial breakout this week and the third week** It did help speed up the healing process I believe. I didn't ask my derm about using my own leftover medication - you should, but I was desperate. I used it as prescribed before and then I stopped at the end of week 3.

Week 3: Face is still full of zits from week 2, and it looks bad. Skin was very dry, still around mouth mostly. I canceled all my plans so I wouldn't have to leave the house, other than work. Face looks less oily and I don't feel that well. I've always had weird digestive issues, but I assume this is from the pills rather than the Retin-A.

Week 4: Skin may or may not be reverting back to old oiliness, boobs are feeling a bit fuller in my normal bra so they’re definitely growing, face is getting over the huge initial breakout that began at the end of week 2 but I did wake up with a two small white heads around my mouth. Skin that doesn’t have break outs or old acne marks looks lighter and brighter (granted, that’s not much skin, my skin was pretty bad). I've worked up to using Retin-A three times a week and it seems to be going well.

My face looks less clogged and congested the day after I use Retin-A so I will continue to use the product. I know it takes time for products to work so don't give up! I am optimistic!

I’ll keep updating. Reviews with updates is what is getting me through this so thank you.

Only updates from here:

Week 5: Same routine as before, but if my skin doesn't look irritated or peely, I use the retin-a an extra night or just as spot treatment. I was kidding myself with the oiliness, still very oily. I got two new breakouts near my mouth, but they went away in 2 days. My face is quite clear right now. No change in leftover acne marks yet. I will add in a weekly mask to help with oiliness as my face allows. I usually use one from the Murad line that I purchase at sephora. I'll update in a few weeks time. Also, I don't know if this is from spiro, but I've lost 5 pounds since the last time I weighed myself. I always wear sunscreen, regardless if i'll be outside much.

I long for the day I can go out to run errands without a face full of makeup :) still hopeful and liking my results! With this, I'm honestly saving money. No more are the days where I buy a ton of skin products. I'm planning on cleaning out my drawers if this stuff continues to work as well as it has been!

Week 9: still break outs here and there but small ones, and they go away quickly. No change in oiliness. My face definitely looks the clearest I remember it ever being. Old acne marks are disappearing and it's keeping the severe break outs at bay :)

4.5 months: I still break out, and my skin is still very oily, but the breakouts are far fewer and far less severe. They pop up as little white heads or sebum pockets from all my oil and they usually don't take more than a few days to go down, but the redness takes a long time to go away. My overall complexion is way better - it's definitely getting rid o