Acne.org AHA+ (Glycolic Acid - 10%)

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Acne.org AHA+ (Glycolic Acid - 10%)
AHA+ (Glycolic Acid - 10%)AHA+ (Glycolic Acid - 10%)

4.3

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I've used this bad boy for 5 years already so here are my thoughts

Pros:
-effective for PIH (hyperpigmentation these are the dark spots on your face. more common on dark skinned people)
-somehow effective for fine lines
-makes your skin smoooothhhh like a baby's bum bum
-good for ice pick scars (when used continuously)
-somehow good for whiteheads
- has licorice extract to calm acne prone skin

Cons:
-not effective on PIE (aka acne marks or broken capillaries. more common on fair skinned people)
-makes your skin sensitive to the sun
-too greasy for oily skinned peeps
-leaves a slightly yellow cast
-could cause zits from time to time

Throughout my teen years i always had pretty good skin, never had to deal with breakouts or anything besides the occasional pimple here and there. Unfortunately when i turned 20 i had about a 6 month period where i broke out horribly and nothing i did would keep them from coming. I tried everything from all natural routes like applying crushed asprin, to mario badescu products, retin-a, drugstore crap, NOTHING WORKED and all my meddling and picking and popping as a desperate attempt to get rid of them left me with scars.

I came across acne.org online and read about the products, super desperate i shelled out 60-70bucks (forgot how much exactly) for the trio (face wash, treatment, aha lotion). These products saved my face. They were the ONLY thing that worked for me and they have lasted incredibly long. I no longer have acne nor any scars thanks to the aha lotion which helps to even out the skin tone and clear up scars. To add to that, i have really fair skin so i thought i was going to be fucked for life with visible acne scars. I still use the aha lotion here and there whenever i get a few pimples and by the time i wake up they're usually significantly smaller and gone within a week.

on 5/10/2013 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

The price is unbeatable for such a quality product. I'm really impressed -- and grateful!

I use this on my face 2-3 nights each week (after finishing a month-long stint doing the same with a 5% AHA by Derma E -- remember you want to build up slowly so your skin can adjust!) and my skin is glowy and much more even-toned.

WEAR SUNSCREEN DAILY esp. when using this product, since AHAs make skin more sensitive to the sun's rays.

I also use this moisturizer on my arms to help treat Keratosis Pilaris. I see an improvement, but I'll have to update later on...

Next time, I'm getting the bigger size bottle w/ a pump!

on 12/17/2012 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I wanted to love this product so badly after reading the positive reviews on acne.org and here. But this only caused me to break out in large, red, painful zits. Now, I'm not a stranger to this product, I've used it before when I was first on the regimen but it broke me out then as well. I decided to give it another go after going on the regimen again and I waited a month before using this. My skin was clearing up quite nicely -- the breakouts on my cheeks subsided, the chin acne was calming down and the forehead acne was disappearing. But because the hyper pigmentation was bothering me, I decided to try aha. Bad mistake because it took less than a week for my face to breakout even worse than what I started with before the regimen! Some people said its the initial breakout of aha bringing all the old crap to the surface and it usually lasted for two weeks. Its the end of my two weeks and my face itches like crazy, my skin isn't any less flaky and my acne keeps popping up. It's not the non inflamed acne either, they're deep, red, and big -- some of them don't come to a head! And acne started appearing where I didn't have them initially, like my eyebrows! It was sore for three days like I had a freaking cyst there. Now the swelling is gone, but I have tons of red marks. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just letting you know my experience.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I use this product in combination with the Pro-Activ Benzoyl Peroxide repair lotion and Purpose gentle cleanser, and have SUBSTANTIALLY reduced my pimples to one or two I randomly get on my face. (the BP I'm sure does not have to be Pro-Activ, but it was sitting in my cabinet when I incorporated a BP product into my regimen).
The product lasts forever (I've been using it since December 2011), has a moisturizing consistency that provides enough moisture for me in my humid, South Texas environment without becoming greasy and is still effective. The lotion can be mildly irritating (you are quite literally putting an acid on your face so I feel like that's to be expected) but the lichochalcone ingredient (licorice extract) helps calm the redness so the redness, if any, is brief. I have experienced a large reduction in whiteheads and blackheads on my face, and contribute a lot of that to the exfoliating effect in this lotion. My skin tone is even, and it is nice to finally get compliments on it (even with the occasional pimple).
I am only 21, so I cannot speak for the wrinkle reduction ability this product has, but as it is a chemical exfoliant it is likely thinning out your skin (and consequently your wrinkles) versus actually treating your wrinkles. Wear sunblock during use of this product to make sure you are not exposing your skin to more UV damage.

on 3/29/2012 9:00:00 PM

My skin responds well to AHAs...I like this one, it's cheap and works well & it lasts forever. the only thing I don't like is the tube, the lotion gooks up in the cap & product gets wasted.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I began using this around my 2nd month on the regime. I was desperate to use anything that would help with the driness and exfoliate my skin. This has helped out my skin SO much. I only use it at night right after my BP and I can see a difference in my skin. I did test it out on my jawline before using this on my face to see how my skin reacted. I have heard some people using this as their night time moistruizer but I can't do that, I still have to moistruize even after using this. At times, it does cause a burning sensation but it's mild and lasts a couple seconds. I just apply a pea size of this. This really helped even out my skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this product after hearing about it from a youtube guru. I have used retinol and AHA products in the past but I had a major breakout which took a year to clear, and during this time I switched to gentle products and stopped wearing makeup. Now that my skin is finally behaving, I have decided to search for good products that will help me maintain my skin and keep it looking young (I am 26). I have been using this product for a couple weeks and I agree with previous reviewers who say that it burns/stings. This lasts about 10-15 minutes after application. I usually apply it to a clean face before bed and I do not use moisturizer in conjunction with this product. The consistency reminds me of a serum, but it is quite moisturizing. It hasn't broken me out in the short time I have been using it. I think it is clearing up the last of the blemishes that I have, and I haven't gotten any new cystic acne since using it. The smell is quite 'chemical-ish' but I can deal with it. I have not used it on my neck/chest but I use it all over my face. I also wear SPF40 every day on my face. I am willing to repurchase this product provided it does not break me out. If I start to break out again I will stop using it and update this post.

UPDATE:
4 weeks. This stuff is not moisturizing enough to use by itself. I did that for a couple weeks and my face became very dry. Now I use a light moisturizer prior to applying this product. It has not broken me out or caused irritation.

UPDATE:
6 weeks. I still use a moisturizer before applying this product. Avoid contact with eye area because it will dry out that area. I also apply a little extra to anything that might develop into a pimple. it seems to prevent them from developing and clear them faster. so far i like this product. i would advise against using it during the daytime becuase it leaves skin looking shiny. don't forget to use sunscreen.

on 1/20/2010 2:44:00 PM

I have gone through one of these tubes, currently on my second with another in waiting for when I run out (buy acne.org in BULK so you save on shipping-esp. if you are a loyal user it makes sense so long as it doesn't go old before you use it)

This AHA in this product is the strongest I've ever used, the sharp sting I feel (seems to be worse for me than other's I've talked to who use it as well) is dealable because of the way it makes my skin look and feel especially with makeup on. I feel the finish of my skin has improved, not sure about light acne scarring on my cheeks (HATE this) but definitely noticed an improvement in the general 'clarity' of my skin, it looks brighter, smoother, glowier. Wear it at night, thick if you want, because this baby will peel during the day-from what I've found. But it's a wonderful last step in your night time facial routine.

One thing, the licoalchone (spell?) ingredient is interesting, but maybe unnecessary?

on 1/19/2010 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really like this product. I got the older one that has a thicker texture in the squeeze tube, so I don't know how the new texture is, but the formula works great and really helps keep acne at bay.