Caudalie Beauty Elixir

3.5

Aqua (Water), Alcohol*, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Flower Water*, Glycerin*, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil*, Potassium Alum, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil*, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Oil*, Commiphora Myrrha Extract*, Styrax Benzoin Resin Extract*, Melissa Officinalis (Balm Mint) Leaf Oil*, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil*, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract*, Citral*, Citronellol*, Farnesol*, Geraniol*, Limonene*, Linalool*. *Plant Origin

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm addicted to this stuff. Absolutely addicted - I need a few backups on hand otherwise I feel uneasy. The first time I bought the Caudalie Beauty Elixir was at an airport duty free in a triple pack of 3 minis a couple years ago and since then, we've been inseparable. My first experience using it was awful btw: this is a floral mist and the oils naturally separate and rise to the top of the bottle. You have to give it a shake before spraying (oh and close your eyes too) otherwise you WILL end up writhing on the floor with your eyes on fire, wondering if you might end up permanently blind, and begging for the pain to stop. The fact that I actually used this again after that first experience was sort of amazing because I am a wimp, big time. Thankfully I persisted and that awful experience has never occurred since.

So two years later, I'm writing this review and I love this stuf. Yet here's the thing:....I don't actually think this does anything for my skin. I've been using it a fairly substantial amount of time now and have come to the conclusion that this neither makes my skin better or worse. The reason I love this stuff has nothing to do with its effects on my skin. I love it because it perks me up, refreshes me, clears up headaches, gives me some relief from the hot muggy tropical climate in which I live, etc. For me, this isn't a skincare product - it's more of a wellness and aromatherapy type product.

CLAIMS - (according to the Caudalie website):

"This beauty enhancing mist is the secret of the stars and make-up artists for its many benefits:
-Smooths away fine lines
-Tightens pores
-Sets make-up
-Gives a boost of radiance."

It is recommended for all skin types, for both day and night use and generally promoted as a radiance enhancer.

DOES IT DELIVER?

Okay, so running through that list, I'm going to confess I have no idea whether the first thing is true (to be fair, if this mist is the secret of the stars, how could a mere mortal like myself possibly know?). As for the next few claims, I don't have fine lines (yet) so can't assess the truth of that claim but I'm highly skeptical of topical products which claim to produce results like that.

Tightens pores: I don't believe pores open, close, tighten, loosen or generally do much of anything except sit on our faces. I see no difference in the size of my pores from using this spray.

Sets makeup: I don't use setting spray regularly but I suppose this would be fine for that. I have sprayed it over makeup in the middle of the day (to perk myself up more than anything else) and it's...fine? Doesn't really make any difference imo. When I do over powder my face or my foundation looks a little cakey, I prefer something like the Tatcha mist which has a much dewier effect and is able to get rid of powderiness.

Gives a boost of radiance: Yes! OK, radiance is subjective - I'm not saying I spritz this on and am instantly transformed into some luminous goddess radiating moonlight. But when I use this mist, I emerge feeling radiant. Really. There's something about the lemony-minty, slightly sharp, very green scent which just perks me up like nothing else. A venti double shot on ice has nothing on this. I'm not even joking - I live on a city right on the equator with 80%+ humidity and getting through the day is like being a slowly wilting flower. You just feel drained by 3pm. The Caudalie beauty elixir wakes me up and gives me that boost to get through the rest of the day without turning me into an over caffeinated monster. As for whether it makes me look radiant, well, sure - as long as I don't go overboard because then I just look like I'm dripping water.

PACKAGING: Luxe! Glass bottle with a lovely design and thankfully Caudalie has recently done something about the nozzle dispensers which now dispense a reliably fine mist instead of leaking, sealing up, etc. That was really annoying. My last 3 or 4 bottles (i buy the big sizes, it's more cost effective) have all been free of nozzle related issues. One tip: if ordering online, be aware that this is extremely fragile and the only etailer that has gotten it to me every single time without a breakage occurring has been Net-a-Porter. Buying this in person is best. As for travelling with this, well, I wouldn't carry it around in my handbag given the glass bottle and aforementioned issues. I do really love the luxury of the glass bottle but I wish the travel sizes came in more durable packaging. Hint, hint Caudalie!

BOTTOM LINE: So is this worth it? It's hard to say - for me, it's indispensable. It literally gets rid of my migraines and makes the tropical heat easier to deal with. For those of you who live in less extreme climates, this is lovely for summer. But let's be real: this is a pricey product and the lack of (evident) skincare benefits is what makes it impossible for me to give this 5 stars, even though this is one of my ultimate HG products. I think some people will love it, some will - quite reasonably - wonder why on earth it's so hyped. Basically, YMMV.

Grade: My personal grade is an A+, but I'm giving it four stars because objectively I do not think this is a true skincare miracle in a bottle. But forget skincare, this makes me feel uplifted and awake and for that reason, I'm going to be buying this forever.

INGREDIENTS : AQUA/WATER/EAU, ALCOHOL*, CITRUS AURANTIUM AMARA (BITTER ORANGE) FLOWER WATER*, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE)*, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF OIL*, POTASSIUM ALUM, GLYCERIN*, MENTHA PIPERITA (PEPPERMINT) OIL*, STYRAX TONKINENSIS RESIN EXTRACT*, COMMIPHORA MYRRHA RESIN EXTRACT*, MELISSA OFFICINALIS (BALM MINT) LEAF OIL*, ROSA DAMASCENA FLOWER OIL*, VITIS VINIFERA (GRAPE) FRUIT EXTRACT*, TOCOPHEROL*, CITRAL*, LIMONENE*, LINALOOL*, CITRONELLOL*, GERANIOL*, FARNESOL*, BENZYL BENZOATE*, EUGENOL* (010/024) *Origine végétale - Plant origin

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

I'm no professional in the beauty industry but I've done my fair share of reading up on certain ingredients in skin care. First off, whether plant based or not, pure alcohol in the second ingredient in this which is a HUGE red flag to me. There are certain types of alcohol made out of fatty acids that are good for the skin but this is not that. Even if it feels nice initially (and it certainly does), overtime, it will break down the skins barrier leading to premature aging. I i wish caudalie would reformulate their skin care with NO alcohol or fragrance.

Wasn't too sure what to expect with this- when the S.A. at sephora sprayed one side of my face to set my concealer, I then went and took a walk to continue with my shopping. I noticed that the side she sprayed didn't look remotely as dry as the side without. - I went back and picked up the smaller bottle.
Fast forward to the near future and I am back to work in the hot humid weather and began using this to set my makeup! Head over heels- my face feels fantastic after using this and it works so well for me as a setting spray. Better than ubran decay which always felt a little weird and sticky.
It has definitely become part of my daily routine. However, it is ridiculously expensive - which is the only major downside.

The Scent is too strong, i couldn't tolerate it on my face ! I just washed my face again and i dnt care what it will do 😂 all what i know is never again !

I have oily, acne prone skin and i thought i would try this because the beauty guru on youtube recommended it. I always wake up with greasy skin in the morning but when i sprayed my face with this product before bed, i was surprised how good my skin is. And i also use this before i put my make up on. It helps my foundation to stay matte and reduces shine. Love this product.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I find that the scent is too strong, not what I was expecting even with reading the reviews. I prefer Mario Badescu's Facial spray with aloe...the rosewater scent is a lot nicer than this, and about $6 cheaper. I would not buy it again. I purchased this on a whim while watching "what's in my airplane carry on" seemed like every beauty guru had it in their travel makeup bag. I will be taking this on my trip, because, I do have to use it :)

it is anti inflammatory and stes makep beautifully especially poder and mineral foundations. it gives them life. I like the smell and the alcohol used in this product is a fatty alcohol that actually is hydration to the skin, not a drying alcohol.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

*********** Update though most of the above is still relevant, BUT I DO use this on my face now as a spritz after my witch hazel and hydrating toner during the day and occasionally at night after my witch hazel and Pixi Glow Tonic combo. I spray into hands one spray and spread it through my palms and press it liightly into the skin, focusing on areas I am prone to spots, mainly on forehead, for me, and around the nose where nearly everyone is prone to blackheads. Great at tightening pores and is so refreshing on skin, and even though some mild alcohol is present here (naturally-derived at least for me makes all difference IDK what plant this one's alcohol comes from... grapes???), it does not seem to dry my skin in this light yet twice-daily application, it actually seems to seal in hydration and other good ingredients from itself and other prodcts.

The legend and cult classic.

Let me first start off with a few disclaimers.

Avid fan of facial toners that I am (I use Thayer's Rose Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel combined with Neutrogena Alcohol Free toner for extra pore refining and cleansing and skin soothing every single day and the same witch hazel combined with the soothing yet exfoliating Pixi Glow Tonic with Glycolic Acid, Aloe Vera, and Red Ginseng every night)

This does not make it into my rotation of facial toners because of the alcohol. I have skin that is far too sensitive and naturally too dry and dehydrated both to tolerate that or even when regularly used as a facial spritzer, which I would do very occasionally in hot weather or in a very localized application, spread into clean hands and gently swirled over specific zits to calm the skin and help dry them up and clear them out, but that is very rare.

What do I use and appreciate this product for then? It's amazing herbal smell. Granted, it is a very "natural" smell and very botanical and earthy (mostly in a "green" minty forest way, rather than a woodsy/musky/dirt (in a good way - think dark and from the ground) way. This for me, is aromatherapy along with my favorite BBW Sandalwood Rose, Nighttime Tea, or Eucalyptus Spearmint body lotions (which due to their glass bottles I don't use near the shower and instead put them by the sink and use them one at a time throughout the Seasons as hand creams) Big bottles last forever for that purpose.

Anywayys, back to the beauty elixir. I simply spray sprays on occasion into my hands, and it is an instant headache cure and sinus clearer for me. Minty to the maximum here, so if you don't like that or are in anyway allergic or irritated by menthol do not go here. Also, notes of rose and rosemary are here, and many more essential oils, but those are the ones that my skin and nose hold and pick up on. Occasionally I will use this as a body spray and it lasts very well. I suspect I will do this even more in the hottest, most humid months we have coming ahead for summertime in the American South,

I recommend this product for its versatility. It even works well as a room spray to clear the stuffy air. Normally, I like warmer/cozier/muskier candles and room sprays and wall plug ins for my home, and use those types of scents year around with pleasure as I hate fruity and most light floral candles and home fragrances marketed for Spring/Summer use, but when a mess is made or garbage is in play and you need renewed freshness, spraying this in the air disspates quickly so as not to compete with the other more musky scents or whatever you might use throughout the home, but does enough to refresh the space quickly.

It's a classic. it's a luxury. A smattering overpriced, especially for all that I use it for and not for its intended facial care purpose. perhaps, but I think a bottle will last and can be preserved for awhile

I would get again, but only on VIB sales and such at Sephora but I'm glad I finally got a whiff of this legendary product, as it is often touted or sometimes tanked for the smell. it is strong so I definitely see why that alone can be polarizing but i like it.

I have very mixed feelings about this one. The product description states that this mist is good as a toner/primer, setting spray, and makeup refresher. It is supposed to "revive the dull skin, soothe, clarify, and provide a burst of radiance". While I agree with the radiance part, the rest is somewhat questionable.

Pros:
- the mist packaging is very convenient, the mist itself is very fine (much finer than MAC Fix + or Smashbox primer water).
- provided a certain luminosity to the skin.
- made the makeup on the oily parts of my combination face (nose and forehead) last a little longer.

Cons:
-the smell is very STRONG!!! It is a combination of alcohol, herbs, and mint - smells like really strong herbal mouthwash or aftershave.
- it contains alcohol (second ingredient on the label), which can be extremely drying. I used it as a primer. My skin is not particularly sensitive, but this stuff BURNED for about 5 minutes after I sprayed it.
- After I took my makeup off, the areas where it burned were red - all over my nose and cheeks.

I got the small bottle as part of a set, and I will definitely not be repurchasing a large size.

Update: I have used up the entire small bottle. The more I used it, the less it burned. I have grown to like it, the more I used it. I will only buy it again as part of a set.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Ok so, I had a look at the ingredients before buying and I was sure it would be drying and irritating. Yet, after reading so many rave reviews I couldn't help it and bought a travel size of this when I found it on a lovely travel kit which included products I know and love (Caudalie lip balm and hand cream). Needless to say, I was disappointed by this 'elixir'.

First things first, this is a toner. The word 'elixir' makes it sound special but it's not, in my opinion. It's housed in a lovely frosted glass bottle which is pretty. It smells really nice, yet strongly herbal. I would not recommend it for people who don't like strong herbal scents. I happen to love that sort of scent, though!

First time I tried it, my eyes burned! For at least 10 minutes! And I made sure to keep my eyes closed while spraying.... Subsequent times I just covered my eyes with one hand while using the other to spray the 'elixir'. It dried and irritated my skin. It gave me no 'glow'. When I sprayed it on top of makeup it did make it look more fresh, but any cheap spray on water can do that.

At one occasion this dried a spot. So when I had a spot yesterday, I got this out of the drawer and sprayed it on my chin only. Guess what? Several painful spots which were not there before appeared yesterday after using this! They are actually quite painful, it hurts when I talk! I know it could have been something else, but it seems that this was, quite likely, the cause. Considering it actually dries my skin out and irritates, I won't bother.

Even though alcohol evaporates, being the 2nd ingredient it seems to be too much. Some of the oils in it are also harsh. Just because it's a natural ingredient, it doesn't mean it's good for you! Cyanide, radium, vinca alkaloids... they're all natural yet they can all kill you!

Overall I think this is one of those products that everyone in 'the industry' raves about... Yet, it proved to be a waste of money. I love my skincare, and I do spend a lot of money on skincare, but this... This is just overpriced irritating alcoholic water! Get a small size or you might regret it :)