The Body Shop Vitamin C Supercharged Face Serum

The Body Shop Vitamin C Supercharged Face Serum

2.8

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 11/18/2007 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I disagree with everyone who is ranting about the silicones in this. Checking out the high-end serums at Sephora, including Dr. Perricone and MDSkincare (at $90 a tube), you will find the same thing. Dimethicone is actually a very good skin protectant. Don't everyone get on the bandwagon to "boo" an ingredient that is quite good for many skintypes. This goes on as a lovely primer, and is great under my sunscreen. I won't spend high prices for such similar products. As an added bonus, this has a very, very light citrus scent.

on 11/17/2013 5:24:00 AM

Supercharged with silicones, that is what this product is. Gives a smooth surface but the use of silicones in skincare is at best dubious. Some people with sensitive skin prefer them in some expensive products because silicones form a barrier between the skin and outside conditions. However, some others find that silicones aggravate their skin troubles, clog their pores, break them out and whatnot. I am in this second group and do not want to be given silicones when I want something relatively nourishing. In either case, Vitamin C is difficult to work with -it is difficult to keep it stabile etc.

My mother lives in a village in the Mediterranean, regularly drinks fresh orange juice and despite her 67 years behind her, she has this tremendous glow on her face, especially under her eyes so much so that I told her that she overdid her frosty highlighter:)) Maybe, ı should not be lazy and try to consume oranges instead of chemical stuff from TBS.

I'm giving this an extra point simply because it would work as a primer.

on 8/20/2009 12:16:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I'm still on the fence with this product. I know several reviewers have complained about the smell, but I don't find it bad and it disappears quickly. As for the silicone base, it is VERY hard to find a vitamin C serum without some kind of silicone in it. I have oily skin that is very prone to breakouts and I have had no problem using this product. My makeup goes on very nicely after I use it in the morning. As for the brightening effects, I think I will have to use it a while longer to really make a decision. I would recommend trying this product because it is really well priced for the type of product it is. If it doesn't work then you haven't lost much.

Update: I've been using this for about 8 weeks now and I haven't seen any real changes. Nothing good, but nothing bad either. No breakouts from the silicone, but I can't say that my skin looks a ton brighter.

on 1/15/2004 7:20:00 PM

I adored this!! I think it's kind of expensive $20 for the little bottle, but it lasts so long!! I have pretty blotchy skin but not when I use this product, it also made it so smooth. I thought maybe my hormones had just changed and I had finally been blessed with great skin (I stopped wearing foundation altogether, just a dab of powder for shine every now and then) but then the inevitable happened- I ran out. My face broke out so bad after a tiny bit of mistreatment and it took me forever to et it back. The ONLY reason I haven't bought anymore is because I don't have a store here and I've been broke. Would DEFINITELY and WILL buy this again.

on 12/26/2013 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

First impression: though it does have that silicone-y feel I am pretty pleased with the product's performance. Although I have used only once it did leave a good impression on me. I have oily skin but am using benzoyl peroxide here and there in order to have a blemish free face. First I applied my new moistruizer (Sans Soucis Aqua Clear Skin) which I left to sink into my skin. Then I applied this serum sparingly (<1 pump), and on top of it my new foundation (Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation). This foundation doesn't control shine at all and I start to shine after two hours of wear time. By the end of the day my skin looks horrible, like an oil slick. But, combining with these two products, although I have had a sheen, the oil control was way better with these two products than with a random moistruizer and random primer. I am really happy that it did control oil so well and that my foundation lasted longer (worn it for 10 hr!!) which encouraged me to continue to start using it on everyday basis. I recommend it for everyone who has oily or combination skin who wears foundations "for all skin types" - that don't have (any) oil control. I took one lippie off because of that silicone feel since I am not fond of it. Comparing the silicone-y feel of this serum to Benefit's Porefacional has a more moistuizing sensation and iscnot as dry as that primer. Oh, and my foundation did glide nicer! So to sum the positives: makes you foundation go on nicer, prolongs the wear time, oil control is very good, has skin benefits according to The Body Shop.

on 6/26/2013 7:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

So I bought this on sale, expected way too much and ended up hating it instead.
I wake up wash my face and apply this, as I thought Vitamin C and fresh scents are best if used in day time for that extra boost that wakes you up along with ur skin. And I felt it was like any other primer/serums makeup related product. It felt nth and did absolutely nothing for me. It smells like a dollar store cheap product and is such a waste of money!
I ended up using this as a face primer before I apply my make up. The pump doesn't even works well, you have to keep pumping for one teeny tiny drop! Very disappointed!

on 4/14/2012 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This pretty much did nothing for my skin, and I found the smell too strong.

on 2/19/2012 10:23:00 PM

This is the worst product I've ever used. It went on smoothly and gave me a nice glow. But I woke up the next morning with cystic acne- which I never get! I had a scar on my face for the longest time. Turns out this stuff I full of silicone and other things that clog your pores.

on 9/4/2011 10:31:00 AM

It does not absorb well into my skin and causes my skin to clog upon consecutive use of 3 days or so. I realize it contains silicone ingredients and thus have since stopped using on my face but on my legs instead. It did nothing much - no glow or radiance on my face during that few days of constant use in daytime.

ok so here I am at 49, with t-zone issues, and this stuff has created 3 lovely HUGE whiteheads on my face, one on the chin and 2 by my nose.....haven't had a zit in 20 years...used it for a week and I feel like a mid-life freak.