Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

3.7

on 1/27/2012 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I used this in the ‘Medium Auburn’ shade, and I am quite pleased with it. It did exactly what I wanted it to do, which was add some reddish tones to my medium-brown hair. I picked this up on clearance at CVS for under $3, so I was quite nervous to use it in the first place, thinking it must be on clearance for a reason. I am pleased with the results and even went and purchased a back-up, since I’m assuming this is a discontinued shade.

I skipped the ‘patch test’ since I’m not usually sensitive to hair dyes, and fortunately I didn’t have any sensitivity or reaction to this product. I found this kit easy to use, and the whole process start-to-finish probably took 20 minutes. I was a bit nervous when I mixed the color crème & the developer because it turned an awful greenish-brown color, but after applied it turned a deep burgundy brown. I didn’t find the smell particularly pleasant, but it wasn’t overpowering either. It had kind of a fruity-chemical scent. There was more than enough product to saturate my shoulder-length hair. I used the comb ‘attachment’ and I found it made applying & distributing the product easy. I made sure to brush/comb through my curly/wavy hair before applying, anyways.

I watched the clock for 10 minutes, then hopped in the shower to rinse. It rinsed fairly easily, though I rinsed for a good 3 minutes, at least, just to insure all the product was out. My hair felt very dry & ‘straw like’ as I was rinsing, but I applied the included conditioner and that seemed to help. A week later, and my hair does not feel any drier or damaged in texture as a result of dying it.

I am satisfied with the color result. I just wanted a subtle color change and that is what I got. I would say my final shade is a light-medium reddish-brown, instead of the brighter reddish shade pictured on the box. The color is even, and it has only faded slightly in the past week since I colored it.

Bottom line, I thought the kit was easy to use and I liked the comb applicator. I am happy with the color result and it seemed to leave my hair in good condition. I realize that opinions are highly subjective depending on your hair’s color, condition, shade purchased, desired results, etc., etc., etc. , but for my medium length, medium brown hair, this gave me just the color boost I was looking for, with minimal effort.

on 10/28/2011 6:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I know that normally this is quite high priced for a DIY color but got it on clearance for less than $3 @ Walgreens.
PLUS, IT WAS IN MY PERFECT COLOR!!

I also got 2 'John Frieda' foam kits at the same time on clearance, again in my color.

This is the best my hair has ever turned out, including in shops. When I use up my 2 'John Friedas', will definitely be buying this brand, at whatever cost.

The color turned out perfectly, true to the box, even covering the gray around my face.

It only took 10 min. and this is the 1st time our bathroom doesn't look like someone had the 'runs' all over the walls and floor. (The DH will be so pleased when he gets home from work.lol)

I didn't find the odor too offensive either, but did run the BR fan.

I guess, I got a great deal but now realize that you DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. AND FROM NOW ON WILL BE WILLING TO PAY THE $12, FULL PRICE FOR IT IN THE FUTURE.

I had a horrible coloring experience in July using 'Clairol's Nice N Easy Foam'. The light auburn turned out almost black with purplish tinges in it. HORRIBLE! I swore I'd never buy another 'Clairol' product again, but this has changed my mind. (When my hair got all screwed up in July, Clairol sent me a coupon for a box of their semi-permanent 'Herbal Essences', to try to make up for it.

I can only hope that they don't D/C this color. That would be my luck.

If something changes with this review, such as the color not staying or my hair condition going bad, will edit it.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This dye was pretty decent. I used Medium Brown and I really loved the color outcome. I left the color in for around 11 mins and my hair wasn't at all dried out. My only real complaint is, I didn't get 100% gray coverage. Some of my grays turned to a light, golden brown (like the color of beer) rather than medium brown.

on 12/15/2010 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Out of the store bought hair dyes this one is the one I stick with. It gives a nice even, deep color, it works fast, and leaves my hair feeling soft. It is a little pricier then other store dyes, but overall the price difference isnt great enough to turn me away from it. And it is still cheaper then a salon visit. The only con with this dye (although I find this with all dyes) is that it does fade faster then some other brands. Other then that, love it.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is an ok hair color kit. I have tried the Light Blonde shade 9. It was a quick dye job. The comb attachment was fabulous and it made it super simple to put the dye on my hair. There is plenty of dye. I have long hair and usually finish the whole bottle, but this had plenty of dye to finish my hair and still have some left. The tube of dye was a pain. It is in a metal tube that you have to squeeze. I found it was very hard to get all of the dye out. The color itself went on pretty true to the box. I do think that because it is so quick it does kind of a half fast job. My color looks alright. Not to rich or shiny. Not special and I finding that it is wearing off really quickly. I usually can go 6 weeks without dying, but honestly I would say with this kit I would need to dye every 3-4 weeks.

on 9/25/2010 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is the only at-home hair color that I've used for the past 3 years - once was enough to get me hooked!
I typically use the 6A Light Ash Brown color, it looks amazing on my hair. This dye always leaves my hair looking shiny and while the dye itself is a little drying, the conditioner that comes with it is extremely rich and makes my hair soft. The color always looks wonderful and I get a lot of compliments.
I don't like the comb attachment, I just squirt it with the nozzle into my hands and run it through my hair that way, and I haven't had any problems. I usually leave it on for about 15 minutes rather than the recommended 10, so the color comes out a bit darker but that's the way I like it. The smell isn't bad but it's very strong, and usually it stays in my towel for a few days.
The only bad thing about this dye is the fading. Granted, I should probably be using color-safe shampoo and conditioner, and I'm very hard on my hair, but even with weekly treatments of the included conditioner, I find the color fades quite fast. I notice a fade after as soon as 4 weeks, and after 6 it's definitely faded. It fades to a very strange orange-y color on me, which I find odd since the dye itself is an ashy brown. All that means is that I need to keep up with the dyeing a little more diligently than usual, which isn't bad - even at $9 a box, it's still cheaper than salon coloring.
I'll continue to buy this again and again, and I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a good at-home hair dye.

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I love this hair dye! I have been using it for over 2 years. I started out with shade 6r, then 5r, and have settled on 4r which is the darkest red. The color goes on evenly and I dye it every 6 weeks. My hair is always super soft & shiny and smells GREAT after using. Going darker was not a problem and the colors transitioned nicely. I sometimes leave it on longer than 10 minutes and never have had a problem. It does fade a bit *but* I work outside in the sun and I'm sure it doesn't help. By the time the 6 weeks are up I dye my whole head rather than my roots. I don't love using the brush-applicator, I find just squeezing the color into my hand and applying that way is much easier, but I suspect if I was doing just my roots or I had thinner hair the brush applicator would be great. The conditioner included is my favorite and I love that you can buy it separately.

on 12/21/2009 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

So i was very nervous to try this hair colour but i a pleasantly surprised. I chose the light auburn colour and it turned out great. The colour is beautiful and my hair doesn't feel any worse than usual after colouring with this. I also really liked the comb style applicator, it really made getting all of my thick hair covered really easy. I will update in two weeks to see if i am still happy with this after it starts to fade. I am worried about getting brassy roots..... but we will see....The colour in my profile pic is how this one turned out over top of my already red (slightly cherry coloured hair)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

it fades really fast but the conditioner that comes with it is amazing i'm tempted to buy it just for that

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Other

Turning 60 next year, so need to give Mother Nature a helping hand...Had very dark brown hair in my youth (which developed dark red undertones if I really spent a lot of time in the sun), but that is too aging a color now. Ladies, did you know that dark hair colors ATTRACT THE EYE to every dark shadow Father time has etched on your face. Not a good idea. Go one or two shades lighter. So now I use 2/3 shade 5A and 1/3 5G (what they call Golden, but is actually warm and has a reddish cast to it). It covers the grey well and adds a lustre to the hair... see my reviews of Redken All soft shampoo/conditioner for maintaining the lustre.

ADDENDUM: developed an allergy, broke out in hives, itching, had to go to the hospital ER pronto
So -gave it up cold turkey, and have gradually gone silver or platinum whatever you want to call it- my hair has regained its lustre and body since I have not been putting dyes on it, and I get lots of compliments
about my hair. Enjoyed the change from gold to silver jewelry, wear the silver on my head happily, and I'm not going back to dying it. Spending the money on other things....