Paula's Choice Beautypedia.com

Beautypedia.comBeautypedia.com

3.1

Not tested on animals

on 7/3/2018 1:58:00 PM

I'm a really big fan of Paula &shave readevery single book she's written! Her beautypedia website is a continuation of her book " don't go to the cosmetics counter without me " ! & I always look up reviews from her site ! I think she's a most valuable source of skincare information! She really breaks down the ingredients & tells you the truth about what's helpful &harmful! Though I still use certain products she doesn't recommend like bar soap & alcohol toners from Clinique Bc they work on me! But there was this one time I actually ordered a bha liquid exfoliant liquid from her & I was so disappointed with it Bc it felt so oily & heavy & greasy on my face! So Paula not always 100 percent correct even though she the expert!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Beautypedia is a great resource for information. Having said that it is always best to look at multiple sources. There are many ingredients that experts can't agree on, or studies show different results. This means that you have to reasarch both sides & make your own decision. Personally I hate that & wish it was easier but what can you do. Even though I don't agree with every review on beautypedia I am happy to have it as one source of information. Also keep in mind that Paula no longer does reviews for beautipedia. Suposedly the reviews are still using the same criteria established by Paula.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I give this site 5 stars because The Beauty Brains (actual cosmetic chemists for the leading cosmetic company in the United States) agrees with a lot of the stuff that Paula Begoun says, sites a lot of the same studies, explains a lot of the same studies, etc. Cosdna.net is not accurate, is operated by Chinese based cosmetic companies and also allows for users to upload any information they want. Because Cosdna has no way to verify that the ingredients in the product are accurate, a lot of the information is not usable or verifiable. Beautypedia, The Beauty Brains website and podcast, Chemist Corner and Futurederm - The Science of Beauty are probably the best resources to go to. And remember, just because you don't have a reaction to a product doesn't mean its not bad. Like Paula says, you don't see sun damage until later in life and the same goes for a bad product. I don't rely on anything doctors or dermatologists say (about beauty products) because like The Beauty Brains tells us, doctors are not Cosmetic Chemists. They're not trained to know how cosmetics and skin interact. They treat skin DISORDERS, burns, psoriasis, etc. It's completely different.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Personally, Beautypedia has been a life saver for my ultra sensitive skin. And I have to say, while I don’t like every PC product I’ve tried (I don’t expect to like every product in any skincare line) every Paula’s Choice moisturizer I’ve purchased has given me stellar results and never causes irritation or breakouts. Like, never, and that’s a miracle for me.

on 3/7/2018 5:14:00 AM

There has been some misunderstanding and serious lack of logic from people writing negative reviews. I am going to respond to these absurdic comments and head on to describing my personal experience:
1. Her reviews became biased since she runs her own skincare now:
Well, it does have some logic in it, however you need to understand that the principles she used for reviewing the product has been described in her books long before she runned her skincare. Also, she is the only person who runs her skincare line and recommend using other products from other skincare brands. She recommends different products and you can choose the best one for you by simply trying out best rated. Also, what if she decided to run her own company because she knows she can help people struggling with skin concerns. How about she just wants to help others
2. Companies who have great reviews on this website paid her to get good rating.
If you know Estee Lauder group includes Clinique, Bobbi Brown, Smashbox and so forth. Well, why then most of Bobbi Brown skin care products are rated awfully while many Clinique ones are good rated? Would not it be better for Estee Lauder to pay her to get good reviews on all products made by their companies?
3. I tried her products and they did not work for me, im allergic to some components of her products and so forth.
Excuse me, just because they did not work for you does not mean they are useless. If you are allergic to nuts will you be eating them everytime you read an article stating that nuts are healthy? NO. Well, why the fock would you use her products if you are allergic to their components omg dont be so focking stupid
4. Products rated poorly worked well for me.
If you did not have any issues on your skin and you bought a cream and it is ok for you, why would you recommend it to others. Nothing changed. Your skin was good it is still good now. Maybe this is the reason the product rated poorly. Or you had some issues, and the product rated poorly helped. If you got rid off the problem go to this website write your own review, tell people that they might consider it.

Why do i like this website? Well i was having some concerns with my skin. And 'amazing' and 'popular' bobbi brown products did not help me at all, only made it worse. I had combination skin, terribly oily forehead, super dry cheeks and constantly oily t-zone. Plus i hadgreat amount of bumps and redness on my cheeks. So altogether not really impressive. And i was trying and buying many different products. And one evening i got tired of all this pointless endless search. I decided to google in order to find a website where dermatologists would review their products. I found beautypedia but unfortunately i could not buy products best rated there because of their location. Except for one, Clinique. I purchased highly recommended by Beautypedia Clinique stuff and my skin turned into a fantasy within a week. From now one i am only purchasing products rated by Beautypedia with at least 3 stars. This website, her tips, her explanation on why some ingredients are problematic helped me out so much. She is perhaps the only person who is really trying to help people all around the world. She brought so much research. She basically collected all well known facts about skin care and brought it to people. Even if you do not like this website go and try collecting all these articles by yourself. Go and help others fighting with bumps acne and other concerns. And then you can judge. Before that keep your mouths shut

on 11/10/2017 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This website is a mixed bag of pros and cons, which I'll go into in a moment. I used to be in love with this site and never bought any items that weren't highly recommended by Paula Begoun. My acne was pretty bad, and I purchased all her products because supposedly they were unlike anything on the market and were chock full of the best ingredients known to man. After a year of applying them diligently to my face with no results, I came to the conclusion that there is no be all end all in skin-care. Everyone's skin is different and reacts differently to products. There are a couple ingredients that are scientifically proven to be bad for just about everyone, such as denatured alcohol (not fatty alcohols) but beyond that, it varies from person to person. In my case, I found out that the simpler my routine is, the better it is for my skin. Loads of antioxidants and skin-replenishing ingredients did nothing for my skin; in some cases it irritated it, yet a simple application of Ponds cold cream and a basic moisturizer cleared my skin up. Many skin types can not tolerate complex formulas and do better with gentler, plainer products. Another thing I have come to not like about her website is how biased she is toward her own products. In one of the older editions of her Don't Go to The Cosmetics Counter Without Me books, she doesn't rate her own products, because she said that would be overly biased. However, she does so now, and it comes across as very tacky. The one truly helpful thing about her website is the well-researched Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary. She rates ingredients on how good they are for the skin, so when you're trying to decipher a cosmetic label, you have a general idea that a product with alcohol and menthol as the top ingredients won't be doing your skin any favors. A couple of ingredients she rates as poor, such as lavender and witch hazel, have conflicting reports on them. She says they're bad; other studies say they're great. Take what she says with a grain of salt, do your own research, play around with products to see what works with your own unique skin-type, and you should be on your way to having better skin. :)

on 5/14/2017 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Paula Begoun no longer writes for Beautypedia. There is a staff that writes "expert" reviews, but it's unclear as to what makes them experts. They aren't cosmetics chemists, manufacturers, dermatologists, estheticians, or nurses. They ARE marketers for Paula's Choice cosmetics. Paula Begoun sold her private Paula's Choice company to Bertram Capital a few years ago. At that time Marketing got Beautypedia, and Paula became the "face" of the brand. The products have risen a great deal in price since then, but they are more widely sold. Paula Begoun is one of the most brilliant cosmetics marketers of the 20th and 21st century. Her powerful inverse marketing has caused legions of fans, who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, to quote Paula's "reviews" as if they are White Papers. Paula Begoun is a marketing genius: first advancing her beauty "bibles", then her privately owned brands for private label cosmetics. By contrasting her label with ubiquitous brands like Murad and Perricone, people believed her less expensive products were better because they contained ingredients Paula praised in her reviews. I love the fact that Paula Begoun taught women how to research ingredients, how to look out for what might be personally harmful, and not to believe expensive means great.

Beautypedia has begun allowing users to write reviews, which may be an attempt to get people to use the site again.(Which, in turn, directs them to Paula's Choice, of course.) Many, many of the reviewers disagree with the "expert" reviews, which proves the entirely subjective nature of cosmetics usage, regardless of whether or not evil cosmetics fiends package face creams in jars, or put drops of lavender oil in their concoctions.

Beautypedia's references should be taken with a grain of salt; they often cite in vitro tests, tests on cell cultures (not skin), tests done from product consumption not use on skin, etc.

However, if you have any skin diseases, disorders, sensitivities, allergies...this is definitely the place to go before you buy something that may hurt you. It's easy for people like me, with resistant, genetically strong skin, to think some of the reviews are ridiculous. Without having experienced the constant worry of skin damage and/or irritation, I can say something like "I love Noxzema", and "witch hazel is one of my favorite skin care ingredients." Many people could damage their skin if they think my reviews apply to everyone, so Beautypedia a safe resource for those with sensitive skin.

Like the previous reviewer, I am a huge fan of Cosdna.com! :-)

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

While Beautypedia is a massive resource, I do not have 100% faith in their reviews due to their obvious conflict of interest. Even though Beautypedia claims it's no longer affiliated with Paula's Choice, it's very suspicious that all the Paula's Choice products are rated 4 stars or higher. Especially when several of these products have received less than stellar reviews both here and elsewhere on the internet.

I'll stick with CosDNA for ingredient analysis, and MakeupAlley for honest reviews.

on 5/10/2017 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Paula uses outdated science which has been proven false. She makes statements about the "harm" some ingredients may cause, that are debatable at best. If you would like it broken down for you, just google "Robert Tisserand" and "lavender oil", he breaks it down while still citing references to every claim. Take all information from Beautypedia with a large grain of salt.

get $10 off your Paula's Choice order!! https://goo.gl/MtP1Iz

beautypedia is pretty helpful if you're willing to look past some of the bias and overly-critical comments Paula makes in favor of her own products. while i do happen to really like a lot of paula's choice products, there are plenty of other great products at the department/drug store that perform similarly. Paula seems to be very reluctant to give some products that seem just fine a satisfactory review due to one little ingredient or formulation defect that really doesn't effect its integrity (which i find annoying) she can be pretty helpful though in pointing out really irritating ingredients in certain products

Popular Other Products