Ulta Ulta- whole store

No Image

3.3

on 4/5/2010 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I can't figure out why people on MUA don't like Ulta! I LOVE Ulta! They have a great selection of high end cosmetics and tons of drugstore brands as well! They tend to have great deals (like buy one get one 1/2 off) and they have an excellent rewards program. They also have a great salon & brow bar. Call me crazy...

on 4/4/2010 8:04:00 PM

Let me start by saying that I do not like being watched. I am an Aspie(Google it), and it makes me very uncomfortable to be observed. It is one of my biggest pet peeves to be stared at, especially when I'm trying to shop. Lately they've gotten better about it, but employees at my local Ulta used to follow people around the store & watch their every move like they're common criminals or something. I don't shoplift, and I really didn't appreciate being treated like a thief when all I'm trying to do is test some fscking lip gloss. I understand all about loss prevention, but be DISCREET or else you'll just run off the honest customers too. Example- One time about 6 years ago, the manager followed me around the store, literally standing about 8 feet away from me the whole time, with her eyes peeled. I wanted to say, "Can I help you, fatass?" but I'm a polite person so I held my tongue & ignored her. As I was paying for my items, I actually heard her say to another SA, "Well I didn't see her take anything, but maybe we got her on camera". I've never been so insulted in my life. I didn't set foot in that store for about 2 years after that. I actually wrote a complaint to the head office & got a level 5 gift certificate out of it, and believe me it was sweet redeeming it to the very same stupid fat bitch who thought I was stealing. That experience has stuck with me ever since and has really colored my impression of the store. I've gotten into the habit of always having my hands in clear view everytime I go in there, lest I get stalked some more. Like I said, lately they've gotten better, I will admit. I guess they had enough angry customers file complaints about being treated like thieves, lol...

The product selection in okay- they don't carry Kat Von D or Jane, which sucks. They carry almost the same low-end brands that Wal-Mart does, only they charge more. They really don't have much that I can't find at elsewhere for about $1 less per item. For example- my Cover Girl powder is around $5 at WM, at Ulta it's $5.99. Half the stock is always sold out, and its almost a guarantee that they won't have the one color that *I* want in any given item. The testers are health hazards, and most of the products have been opened & tested.

As for the salon- it flat-out SUCKS. I have gotten better haircuts at Fantastic Sam's. Hell, I do a better job by myself with sewing scissors & a hand-mirror. The first haircut I got there was in 2004, and when I got home I noticed that one side was shorter than the other. I got it cut again about a month ago after the HerStyler debacle(don't get me started on that damn thing!)- and when I got home I noticed that one side was shorter than the other, AGAIN. *sigh* For 50 damn dollars you'd think you'd get your money's worth right? Not only did I have to fix it myself when I got home, the idiot stylist re-fried my ends. The only reason I cut it to begin with was because it was really damaged from bleaching & using a shitty flatiron, so it really pissed me off to have this moron ruin my hair all over again. I had her cut it off to about where the damage ended, and then she started 'texturizing it', which translated to hacking random chunks out of it which I just found bizarre & unnecessary. After half-assing the blowdrying part(it was still damp when she was done), the ditzy bitch started spraying all kinds of gunk in it, babbling on about how I should always use 'protectant!'. Once my hair was crispy & loaded down with 8 pounds of styling shit, she then proceeded to flatiron it WHILE IT WAS STILL WET. I heard my hair sizzling, and expressed my concern over her scorching my hair, and she reassured me that the 'protectant!'(which was basically hairspray) would prevent damage. By the time she had wreaked her havoc, my hair looked and felt like a tumbleweed, and sure enough- my ends were burnt all over again. Dumb bitch. And it was the salon MANAGER that did my hair so I didn't even have anyone to complain to! Never again. The salon at Ulta is an effing JOKE, at least the one in Norman, OK is. I will go get my hair done at Supercuts for $12 from now on. Ugh.

Bottom line, Ulta is the dollar store of makeup stores. Not the good dollar store either(which would be Dollar Tree), but Dollar General, where you can get the same stuff as anywhere else, but where they round the prices UP & everything ends up costing more. Sephora is about 30 miles away & Ulta is only 2 or 3, so I said that yes, I'll repurchase only because it's much closer than Sephora. But still, I only go there when I have a coupon or if they're having a huge sale, or if I need something that I absolutely cannot find anywhere else. Like the Essence brand, or certain nail polishes.

on 2/15/2010 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Wow I didn't know there was so much hate for Ulta!

I haven't had any bad experiences with the customer service. Sometimes they're not so cheery, but that's like any other store. As far as the makeup selection, I like that they have a combination of high end and drug store products so I can compare and decide what I want. They carry NYX (but very limited choices, not sure if NYX or Ulta is to blame). I've noticed in the past month or so that the supplies have been depleted, but I noticed the same for Walgreens and CVS so it could be the brands themselves and not the store.

As far as testers go, ya, they don't have them, but again, it's probably the brand and not the store. Have you ever seen a Revlon or L'oreal tester ANYWHERE? And have you NOT seen testers for UD or Cargo?

The only beef I have is the hair salon. It's overpriced. Highlights and and a trim should not cost $150.

As far as the return policy, I've never had a problem with it. I return what I want when I want used or unused. Once I lost the receipt and one of the ladies that worked there told me I can call corporate and have them Email the receipt to the store so I can return my stuff and I did.

Overall, my Ulta experiences have been great. Oh, and AWESOME sales!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'll never forget the most horrible haircut I ever got - at an Ulta "salon" (ha!). I had made an appointment well in advance, showed up on time, and had to wait in a chair for 45 minutes. Then the stylist basically ripped through my hair in less than 5 minutes, pulling the whole time, and didn't even have time to blow dry my hair! Told me I couldn't request that!!!!! (Basically, an $8 Supercuts haircut, with extra rudeness, for $50!!) Then when I went out to pay at the counter, the saleswoman asked really loudly if I wanted to leave a tip, and the stylist just happened to be walking past at that moment. What a ripoff - I paid well over $50 for worse service than a Supercuts. SKIP the Salon - I was appalled! I haven't been back in an Ulta since.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ulta! I live about 10-15 minutes from one and I go there as often as possible. IMO they have everything you could ever want like hair tools, accesories, and products, makeup, fragrance, mens products, accesories, nail stuff. I really like that they have "drug store" makeup and high end makeup all in one store. They ALWAYS have sales on their drugstore things so you dont even have to buy from cvs, target etc. There are just so many options when shopping at ulta, i love it and will continue to go there.

on 2/10/2010 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I am neither in love nor hate with Ulta. I do like having so many beauty products in one place, and not just high-end ones. However, I agree with other posters that the stores often seem to be out of product. To me, Ulta is best if you need to restock a bunch of beauty products at one time and you can just go in there and get them all quickly without running through a whole Target (every Target near me has horribly stocked beauty sections that are always half empty), having some independent beauty-supply owner give you the hawk-eye the whole time like you're a shoplifter, or driving 30 minutes to Sephora (which are few & far between in my area) and dealing with mall parking.

Ulta is not touchy-feely, but that's fine with me since I don't like people talking to me when I shop. I have never had a problem with the discount coupons because I use them to stock up on drugstore-type products, not to buy expensive stuff.
In short, I'm glad they exist as one more option for getting product.

on 10/12/2009 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I live in Virginia and sometimes shop at the Fair Oaks Ulta. So so sad. The SA's don't know anything about any products or what the store carried. The line has always been slow... and you have to wait around for the SA to show up and check you out. The point systems is kinda silly. The only reason that I go there is for the L'oreal Profession shampoo's that they have. None of the salons in my area contain the specific shampoo and conditioner that I want. So... thats the only reason I go. I don't expect the women to talk to me.. and I once overheard a SA telling a young customer that sleeping in your mascara is actually good for you eyelashes....... wtf.
Point is, I don't go there unless I need my shampoo. And thats it.

on 12/6/2008 12:04:00 AM

I love Ulta for their versitility and cupons. Associates normally are very nice. I know that their shrinking rating is high so I suggest they hire a security person and put security tags on the products like Macy's does. Overall it's the best one-stop-for-beauty place for me.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I have visited my "local" ULTA twice since it has opened. I put local in quotes since I have to travel 1/2 hour to get to it. I haven't had a negative experience, however, I usually go in knowing what I want from the reviews on MUA. I don't let anyone assist me and just tell them I am "looking". I work as a cosmetic SA part-time, so pretty much know what will and will not work for me and how to fend off overeager SA's. I enjoy the whole store and really like the ULTA line of cosmetics, especially the eyeshadows which are well pigmented and very silky. I like that high and low end brands are all in the same store but seperated. I like that I can get MU, skincare, haircare, perfume and body products all in one place. You can spend alot or a little there, depending on your budget and mood and if you really need it, get a haircut, brow wax and color (although most ppl don't recommend the ULTA salon services). It's not a Sephora (that's an hour away for me), but it definitely has more of interest to me than the comsetics department I work in (tho' I do ♥ working there), with only 7 lines.

on 11/15/2008 9:13:00 PM

I've never encountered any major problems shopping at Ulta or online at Ulta.com. I will say that their sales associates at the two locations I frequent never know much about most beauty brands. Or release dates for particular collections. It is fustrating when I know more than the people paid to work there. To note, though, these Ultas have only recently opened. Maybe they needed employees asap, and lacked on the training. And then when I get to the front to checkout with my purchases, the girls usually pay more attention to eachother than the guests. But then again, they look like they are still in high school, so I'll cut them some slack. I remember how I was working at 16 in a retail environment...lol... This is only my experience, not casting dark clouds over other Ulta stores. I will say, Ulta has some killer deals on d/s makeup as well as OPI nail polishes at times. I recently hit up a B2G1 OPI sale, used a $5 Ulta coupon, and snagged 3 OPIs for $11...not bad.

Popular Other Products