Chanel No.5

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Chanel No.5

3.6

I love this perfume! I'm 25 and I fell in love love love with it when i was 21. Everyone who smelt me wearing it likes it too. I love wearing it when i'm going to sleep! I also like Oscar De La Renta- Oscar and Armani Code :-D I like powdery, soapy smells. It's my HG perfume definately :-D

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Too powdery!!!! and reminds of soap bar.classic but not classy.
not suitable for me... it's like a grandma's perfume signature.
i thought this no 5 original edp was flowery but it's not...
i just in love with the packaging.so luxury and very chanel.

one more : althought this no 5 comes in edp version but it's not long last on my wrist... different from coco ranges...
coco and coco mademoiselle edp are long last...

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Coco Chanel made three versions of this perfume, the actual parfume, the edp, and the edt. If you cannot afford the original parfume (about $100 per oz). try the edt. It smells the closest to the real thing. The edp has burbon added (in the 1980's). That addition makes it smell different than the parfume or the edt. Also, the edt comes in a 1oz bottle for $55.00, not bad for a taste of Paris luxe. Besides, it NEVER goes out of style.

on 11/19/2011 7:40:00 PM

I'm surprised by the negative reviews. I love this perfume, it was my Mom's only perfume as I was growing up, a couple months ago she gave me a small amount left in a very old bottle. She stopped using it because she's basically tried to stop being feminine at all (yes it's weird, but she feels very "liberated" not caring about what she looks like anymore). I had always loved the scent, but had been into body splashes in my 20's. Now that I'm 30 and I have a highly professional job and wear suits a lot of the time, a sophisticated scent like this goes very well. I ran out of what my mom gave me after a couple months of regular use and just purchased a 3.4oz bottle of the edp off ebay for 49$ including shipping (yes it's original). I don't think I would have paid the 175$ this retails at, just can't afford that right now.

I am not a big floral scent person, I do like florals when they're muted with muskiness, which is exactly how I would describe no. 5. I am in love with this scent and have been switching between this and shalimar for daily use. It does go on with a bit of a soapy smell, but w/in half an hour that has disappeared and I'm left with a subtle musky lovely scent that lasts most of my work day.

I have the EDT version but actually prefers EDP version. They smell different! I would recommend anyone who is thinking to buy one to try both version.

on 10/12/2011 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This reminds me of my mother because its one of her favorite perfumes. She loves it, always tells me how when she was a kid she there was a machine that dispensed a puff of this, for about a quarter in Macy's. When I was in college I started wearing this and one day another student asked me what it was, told me she loved it so I sprayed some in a tiny sample vial bottle and gave it to her. She looked amazed that someone would share it even but I felt it almost selfish not to share it recalling how excited I was to have some.

My mother still wears this so I wear it less simply because I think of it as her "scent." I have never liked jasmine scents and though this has jasmine in it, its not overpowering or I could not wear it. I don't know a lot of perfume jargon and descriptions and though they have been helpful for me to make scent purchases based on the knowledge of the lovely ladies here, I cannot offer that in my review. In lieu of that I can offer this thought, we may not always initially appreciate what others have deemed classics. This is true of art, film, etc. We must take into consideration that like those before us, we view a scent and the aforementioned items, in a context of our times, what we are familiar with, what our friends, peers, are wearing and maybe more importantly, coveting. Sometimes that's all it takes, and most young women likely don't know a whole lot of others coveting this particular scent. If you simply take a chance to trust things become classic for a reason your opinion may change about what you like. Tastes do change which is not to say you must nor should ignore your first impression nor suffer though wearing, nor partaking in anything you find unpleasant.

That said, for me some things like iconic perfumes provide a little thrill knowing I'm wearing something that has provided women through the ages, what most of us want, to be a little more lovely than we already are, a little more elegant, a little more sophisticated, or sexy, so many adjectives can apply here. I don't need to sell this scent of course, it does fine on its own. In my day to day life I often prefer much more current, softer, sweeter, more powdery scents, but I may wear a version of this on my wedding, depends what my mother goes with;)

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is one of those rare perfumes that absolutely wows me! I don't know alot about top notes and sillage etc. but this smells divine not too sweet but not bitter or sharp just beautiful! I think it smells a bit like coca cola :)
EDIT: while I absolutely LOVE this when it is first sprayed the dry down turns too chypre and powdery I hate to use this term but "like an old lady" (sorry it's just the description everyone understands).

on 8/28/2011 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Lindyloo, I totally sympathize. I have struggled with No. 5 for years. Keep trying it in both EdT and EdP and find them quite different from each other. I think in Chanel the EdT are truest to the original vision for their scents, but with No. 5 the EdT lasts about 20 mins. on me. Not as fond of the EdP with its heavy 80's jasmine vibe. So off I go to get the parfum. I really couldn't believe how poor the sillage and lasting power were even in the parfum (1.5 hours tops) and I'm reading more and more about this problem throughout the entire Chanel line. I really hope this venerable house isn't bowing to current insanity and turning all its beautiful creations into overpriced body sprays. I have given it a fairly good rating because I can see how beautiful it is meant to be and what went into its creation but somehow they have dropped the ball on this one. Too depressing . . . .
UPDATE: I am finding this one doesn't fully open up in the warm weather, but in cooler temperatures, my oh my! I am layering the EdT over the extrait and it is stunning. Hours and hours of sexy floral animalic sillage. To be perfectly honest, I added a drop of Brent Leonesio's No. 8 with it and I'm in pure vintage heaven. Takes it right back to the good old days of dirty sexy perfumes like it used to smell when my Mother wore it. It doesn't get better than this, it truly doesn't. Still haven't developed a love for the EdP, but hey, that could happen too!

This review is for the Eau de Parfum. Like another reviewer below, I struggled for years to understand why people raved about No 5. Then, one day, a Chanel SA encouraged me to test the Eau de Parfum - what a revelation! Finally I understood other people's adoration of this fragrance - the Eau de Parfum is so much richer, refined and sumptous tha the Eau de Toilette, which is what I had tried before. This perfume lasts for hours and hours on me - I usually spray it on at about 7.30 am, just before I leave for work, and it is still there when I get home about 10 hours later. One of my all time favourite perfumes.

on 8/24/2011 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Crisp, confident, elegant, timeless. Snow meets jasmine.

This review is for the parfum version. The EDT is so shrill on me that for years, I couldn't understand why anyone loved No. 5. The parfum version completely turned me around.

Invigorating aldehydes turn into seamlessly blended flowers. The far drydown—as in the morning after—is rich and beautiful. Chanel No. 5 is perfect for any occasion. Usually I wear it for long, long workdays. But I've enjoyed wearing it with jeans and cowboy boots to an indie concert.

Warmer than 1000 by Patou. Medium to big sillage. Incredible longevity (more than 12 hours).

Popular Fragrances