Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10

3.2

on 1/27/2012 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I used this in the ‘Medium Auburn’ shade, and I am quite pleased with it. It did exactly what I wanted it to do, which was add some reddish tones to my medium-brown hair. I picked this up on clearance at CVS for under $3, so I was quite nervous to use it in the first place, thinking it must be on clearance for a reason. I am pleased with the results and even went and purchased a back-up, since I’m assuming this is a discontinued shade.

I skipped the ‘patch test’ since I’m not usually sensitive to hair dyes, and fortunately I didn’t have any sensitivity or reaction to this product. I found this kit easy to use, and the whole process start-to-finish probably took 20 minutes. I was a bit nervous when I mixed the color crème & the developer because it turned an awful greenish-brown color, but after applied it turned a deep burgundy brown. I didn’t find the smell particularly pleasant, but it wasn’t overpowering either. It had kind of a fruity-chemical scent. There was more than enough product to saturate my shoulder-length hair. I used the comb ‘attachment’ and I found it made applying & distributing the product easy. I made sure to brush/comb through my curly/wavy hair before applying, anyways.

I watched the clock for 10 minutes, then hopped in the shower to rinse. It rinsed fairly easily, though I rinsed for a good 3 minutes, at least, just to insure all the product was out. My hair felt very dry & ‘straw like’ as I was rinsing, but I applied the included conditioner and that seemed to help. A week later, and my hair does not feel any drier or damaged in texture as a result of dying it.

I am satisfied with the color result. I just wanted a subtle color change and that is what I got. I would say my final shade is a light-medium reddish-brown, instead of the brighter reddish shade pictured on the box. The color is even, and it has only faded slightly in the past week since I colored it.

Bottom line, I thought the kit was easy to use and I liked the comb applicator. I am happy with the color result and it seemed to leave my hair in good condition. I realize that opinions are highly subjective depending on your hair’s color, condition, shade purchased, desired results, etc., etc., etc. , but for my medium length, medium brown hair, this gave me just the color boost I was looking for, with minimal effort.

on 12/10/2011 3:39:00 PM

This product did not cover my grey roots and didn't really change my colour much. I didn't really see the point of the comb either and the solution was was too watery and splattered down my back, up walls etc. I had high hopes for this and was disappointed. Shame I liked the colour on the box, hey ho back to the drawing board.

Wow, what an idiot I am. Spent all summer taking the dark brown-almost black hair color out of my hair. My hair ended up too light, so i would put medium brown colors that would fade extremely fast on my hair. I decided a dark brown would be a good option, so if it was dark enough, when it faded, it would be the color i wanted it to be. Boy was I ever wrong. Do not purchase any of these colors 04 and on. Your hair will be jet black with little hope for fading. Looks great with my pastey white skin too so THANKS A TON NICE N' EASY!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is the best OTC hair color I've used. Even my hairdresser-- who isn't happy that I color my own, but understands I'm both too cheap and too lazy to have it done professionally-- mentioned that my color looked much better after using this product.

The applicator, with a brush top, is great. I've been able to distribute the color more evenly. With the conventional applicators, I always miss spots, but with the Perfect 10 one I actually get color everywhere.

The 10-minute processing time is great, and this covers my fairly resistant grays. I've had issues with Garnier and L'Oreal colors not working on my grays (which is the reason I color!), so I'm totally happy on that front.

And, I also like the color. Shade #2, Darkest Brown, is just that. Not black, but the closest thing to black that is still brown, and without any red. It's definitely not black-- I have had black hair enough in my life to know!-- but as someone who constantly thinks my hair color is too light, I really like this color.

Full gray coverage, even application, and quick processing time: that all means I'm willing to spend a few dollars more. It's still cheaper than the salon. continued >>

on 10/28/2011 6:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I know that normally this is quite high priced for a DIY color but got it on clearance for less than $3 @ Walgreens.
PLUS, IT WAS IN MY PERFECT COLOR!!

I also got 2 'John Frieda' foam kits at the same time on clearance, again in my color.

This is the best my hair has ever turned out, including in shops. When I use up my 2 'John Friedas', will definitely be buying this brand, at whatever cost.

The color turned out perfectly, true to the box, even covering the gray around my face.

It only took 10 min. and this is the 1st time our bathroom doesn't look like someone had the 'runs' all over the walls and floor. (The DH will be so pleased when he gets home from work.lol)

I didn't find the odor too offensive either, but did run the BR fan.

I guess, I got a great deal but now realize that you DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. AND FROM NOW ON WILL BE WILLING TO PAY THE $12, FULL PRICE FOR IT IN THE FUTURE.

I had a horrible coloring experience in July using 'Clairol's Nice N Easy Foam'. The light auburn turned out almost black with purplish tinges in it. HORRIBLE! I swore I'd never buy another 'Clairol' product again, but this has changed my mind. (When my hair got all screwed up in July, Clairol sent me a coupon for a box of their semi-permanent 'Herbal Essences', to try to make up for it.

I can only hope that they don't D/C this color. That would be my luck.

If something changes with this review, such as the color not staying or my hair condition going bad, will edit it.

on 10/6/2011 11:22:00 AM

I used the Perfect 10 in Lightest Cool Brown for my review. For reference, my hair was previously a darkish strawberry blonde color that had too much orange for my liking. It wasn't super noticable, but there was a definite orange tint, which is why I wanted a cool color to counteract it. My hair is also rather dry and porous, and is rather wavy.

Anyway, as for the application, I rather liked the comb attachment, although I didn't use it for the whole head. I felt that the comb helped me to get my roots better than I normally can on my own. After color was on my roots, though, it didn't really help much as I tried to pull the comb through the rest of my hair. It just wound up getting tangled, so I took it off and used the other attachment and my hands to work it through the rest of my hair. This dye was a little messy, but not really any messier than most other brands of dye that I've tried. It's just more of a liquid than a cream, so keep that in mind and protect the counter and your skin.

I left the dye on for 6 minutes instead of 10 because I didn't want my hair to get too dark, plus I took a little longer than I figured most people might putting the color on my hair. Once I got into the shower, it took about the average time to rinse out of my hair. I then used the conditioner (which I really liked, by the way), left it on for 3 or 4 minutes, and rinsed.

My hair color is now EXACTLY what I wanted it to be! I'm so thrilled. It's a neutral medium brown color with just a tiny bit of gold. The cool tones did an excellent job of evening out that yucky orange, and truth be told, this color looks like my natural hair color, only a bit darker. I've never found a light brown dye yet that doesn't make my hair pull somewhat warm, but this one did the trick. It's lovely and rich. I agree with another reviewer who said that Perfect 10 leaves the hair with tons of dimension. After a few washes, the subtle highlights come out. It's lovely, even better than I think my stylist could have done!

Since I've only had my hair dyed for about a week, I don't know about fading yet. If it does occur, I may have to modify my review. But so far, I am THRILLED! This stuff is worth the extra cost in my book!

on 10/2/2011 6:35:00 PM

Meh. It's very runny, stung and smelled really harsh. My mother helped me. I've colored my own hair before, but this is so messy, I could never with this. I bought it in medium auburn (auburn flash) and thought I'd get a nice Emma Stone dark red like the box. I have naturally medium to almost dark brown hair (Like Natalie Portman's color, I guess) and this just made my hair brown still, but with alarmingly red highlights. I feel it deposited more at the roots. Took awhile to wash out too. I love the conditioner and my hair.is softer and shinier than before. I haven't washed it yet with shampoo, so maybe it will look more natural. I have a feeling this is gonna fade fast though. It wasn't enough of a change to my natural haircolor. I feel like I kinda wasted my time and money.

on 9/25/2011 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Nah...I was hoping to achieve the color listed on the side of the packaging, but this really did nothing at all for my hair. The roots lifted a bit lighter, but the next day, I noticed they looked brassy and reddish. Not sure why this happens, but I guess that's what you get from trying to achieve multi-toned, beautiful color from a box. You get what you pay for :(

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have used this product twice, the first time with lightest blonde and the second with medium blonde.
i am naturally a medium ash blonde and when i used the lightest blonde it considerably lightened my hair but was also slightly yellow. The yellow faded after a couple of weeks but so did the lightness and my hair got darker.
a few months later i have my natural medium ash roots and decide i want to get rid of the roots and try a more natural colour as well as wanting a change. I got the medium blonde which i would actually say is a dark blonde that is neutral. the colour didn't turn out as dark but blended my roots and the rest of my hair together. The colour is quite ashy too but i like it, it is slightly darker than my natural colour.
the application is very easy in my opinion, the comb applicator makes it so simple i don't even have to section my thick hair i just comb it through and massage it through at the end.
the smell isn't too bad but the lighter colour did sting my eyes a bit, just make sure you open all your windows.
it only takes 10 minutes to process so very quick to do.
overall, i like the dye as the colours come out similar to expected which is not always true to home dyes. It is a little pricer than some home dyes.
the only criticism is that it takes ages to rinse out and the first time i used to i was halfway through dring my hair and noticed it was so sticky underneath at the back so i had to go back and wash my hair. didn't have the same problem the second time though.
i would recommend :D

EDIT: COLOUR WASHED OUT WITHIN A 2 WEEKS SO A WASTE OF TIME BASICALLY. IF YOU WANT A WASH IN WASH OUT COLOUR IT IS FINE BUT THE PRODUCT CLAIMS TO LAST 6 WEELS AND BE PERMANENT :(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I always color my hair at home because that is what I can afford. I've tried a lot of drugstore dyes, maybe even all of them. Here is a quick overall pro list of this product:
*It does what it claims and the color is same as what the box says
*Colors roots same shade as hair; non brassy
*Is not messy; the least messiest dye I have ever used
*Ease of application
*Helpful instructions
*Time saving
*Great results and overall value.

Here is my in-depth review: I bought this after reading a great review on a beauty blog. The color I chose is Medium Ash Brown. I am naturally ash blonde but choose to dye my hair dark. One problem I've had with drugstore dyes is that the brown shades can run brassy and sometimes leave my blonde roots red and the rest very dark. When you open the package, there are several things: the bottle of dye, the tube of the actual color, a separate plastic brush head applicator, a generous big tube of conditioner, and of course, the instructions and a pair of gloves. I'll break everything down: the gloves fit great and weren't that awful cheap saran wrap texture, but smooth and sort of thick so it allowed more grip. First you empty the color dye into the bottle that looks like the regular one you use: with the cap you cover with one hand while you shake. What's great about this is that you don't need to break the cap open until you've shaken it up because you will use the brush applicator to apply instead! The instructions were very clear to shake for at least 20 seconds which I found helpful. Then I removed the top of the bottle cap and there literally WAS NO MESS. Messiness is one of the worst cons of coloring your hair at home, especially with dark dyes which is what I use. I then applied the brush applicator which is bigger than I expected, and not flimsy at all. It screws on very tight and doesn't feel like it wobbles or will come off. I then started at my roots. My hair is very fine and straight; but I recommend brushing your hair first to get rid of tangles. The brush end of this is very strong and will do a good job though. I squeezed to apply the color to my roots. Another thing I noticed about this compared to other drugstore dyes is that the brunette shades appear clear when I first apply on my roots; this was already the brown shade I wanted and it made me feel relieved I didn't have to wait to watch my roots turn color. I love the fact that you have to squeeze the dye out and it doesn't just run out or have a runny texture, this holds really well and yet again is another factor to why it isn't messy like other dyes. I applied all my roots first and the brush allowed my to really get in between sections that I can get when using other drugstore dye bottles. After my whole head was applied, I let it sit for a little over 10 minutes just to be sure it got dark enough but I'm sure you could go for only 10 especially if you already have dark hair. The smell isn't chemically at all; it smells like grape candy to me. In my opinion, the conditioner smells way better; like coconuts. I have to state again; I got no drips, no mess, and whatever I got on my skin was easy to remove because of the dyes thick texture. I let the conditioner sit on my hair for a long time and applied all over. It left my hair very shiny and detangled so I could run my fingers all the way down without tangles. The big gold star for me was that it actually turned my roots dark instead of red and my whole head was an even, consistent medium ash brown; exactly like what the box said. Now the price is 9.99, a little more than what other drugstore dyes are. For me it is worth every penny; for the results, the no mess factor, the time saving with only needing 10 minutes, the precise instructions, and the overall value. YES it is a perfect 10. I recommend to anyone who wants to color their hair at home or for a lower price than salon and with great results.