Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.7

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

I have purchased and repurchased this powder over and over. Got it initially as part of a sample set from Smashbox and loved it. The colour selection is pretty good too.

I use this product as a setting powder for the most part. I use a small amount all over my face with a large fluffy brush after tinted moisturizer and concealer. It does not look cakey at all, and is a very natural look. Not quite a matte finish, but semi-matte. It stays put all day long, and keeps me from growing oily during the day.

The packaging is extremely smart, I love the idea of just shaving off what you need, and not worry about accidentally launching a whole pot of powder all over yourself.

My only concern is that the price is pretty high up there, but as the package itself lasts so long (about 4-5 months of daily use) I am comfortable spending the money.

I love how most, if not all, of the foundations and concealers in the Smashbox line have the same colour name, so it is way easier to try new products as they come out!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

First off I love the packaging for this thing. I'm kinda new to makeup so when I saw this cheese grater type deal I was astounded. It's really handy too because there's no risk of loose powder flying out when you pop the lid, and unless you over-grate (lol), there's not much risk of putting too much powder on your face and looking clownish.

However if I do use this powder by itself without powdering it over a liquid foundation I unfortunately DO look kind of clownish. Maybe my first use I put too much on, or forgot my primer or maybe it just would've looked better when it settled. Who knows, but that's the way it looks on me unfortunately.

But I do use it over my liquid foundation and it provides a nice finish and makes me look porcelain. It stays on for a long time and I use it every day. Just not quite sure I would call it my holy grail powder or what-have-you

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Made me look oompa-loompa-orange. Probably because of the pH of my skin. Definitely not for those acidic types..

The only thing I like about this product is its turner. Though some brands also have the same packaging, and for a lesser price...

I love this powder, however the lightest color (Porcelain Ivory) is still too dark for my skin, when I say I am a PPP, that is what I mean. I have to mix the foundation and BB cream that come in the packs with white foundation. I have purchased two trial packages with BB cream and foundation for this powder hoping for a different result. I can use the powder and foundation at almost full strength in the summer. I will not repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I was on a mission to find a new foundation…I was convinced I needed to try Bare Minerals again because I was looking for something powder based, readily available and that wouldn’t make me breakout like crazy. So I head to Ulta….when I got there, I was caught trying to color match foundations, when a sales associate spotted me. She asked me about my skin type, problems I may have, etc. Since going off of the pill about 4 months ago, I have nothing but problems with my once darn near perfect skin. Lots of cystic acne on my chin, around my nose, forehead. I wanted something light, oil absorbing, and something that could cover my flaws, but not cause more. She put this on me and wow…looked lovely! I was very impressed with how smooth it went on and how natural it looked. She did recommend using a primer first (I use the blue one from Smashbox and LOVE it) and I think that truly makes the difference. I definitely think this lasts all day and keeps MOST of my oily spots at bay. I do need to powder my nose every now and then though…

So, long and short. I have found my new foundation! It is pricey, but ounce for ounce it is cheaper than Bare Minerals and many other mineral makeups as you do get more for your buck. Unlike some of the reviews, I LOVE the packaging…I think its so clever to just give it a little turn and it dispenses just what I need. I tend to be a little clumsy so this keeps the powder where I need it, in case I knock it over. 

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

so, i just received this powder in the mail the other day and i love it already. when i bought this, i wondered how they could possibly claim a powder, which dries things, naturally, is HYDRATING? like, i don't think that's something a powder can even do. gimmick aside, though, this powder is pretty awesome.
i don't use enough to see actual coverage from it, as i use it to just set my foundation. but, it gives me a really nice, natural, non-cakey finish to my skin. it doesn't mattify my skin to the point that it looks unnatural, which is what i think they may have meant by 'hydrating'.
unfortunately, this powder is like FIFTY FRICKIN' BUCKS which is *RIDICULOUS* for a powder. but.. i don't think i mind it as much as i should, as it seems to be outperforming my drugstore powder by miles. and another unfortunate thing is how messy it is - powder gets all over the inside of the tin, the mirror, everything when it's closed. however, i feel like those aren't huge dealbreakers, seeing as i don't even use the included mirror and i can just easily wipe off the powder on the inside (kinda wasteful though). all in all, this is a very nice powder for people who are tired of cakiness and don't mind dropping 50 dollars.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

really amazing coverage for the powder alone. i put it on top pf CC cream. feels really nice on the skin. love it. gave it 4 stars because the packaging it kind of irritating.

So my friend bought this powder and looked like a million bucks in it, so of COURSE I couldn't resist.

Well...sometimes that works out, sometimes not so much. I guess this is a pretty good powder. It lasts like anything on your face and does not get cakey or settle into my fine lines and whatnot. So that is excellent.

But poreless? the top of the wishlist for a powder? Maybe way too much to ask of a powder, but definitely not what you get here. It's lovely, but it's no miracle worker.

[Just in case you are about to tell me I need a good primer and foundation and a good skin care regimen to achieve poreless-- I am working those angles, too.]

Anyhow, let me tell you about the packaging: it's GREAT. You grind a little powder and use it. Takes a light touch not to waste it, but you can do it. And the rest of the stuff doesn't get grubby over time. It stays nice and neat underneath the grinder. Now...what happens when it gets low and there's still stuff in there? I can see me going in there with a hammer, because there's no way to open the packaging that I've seen.

In short, I would probably buy it again if I don't come across a vastly better powder in the time it takes me to use this up. But I'd much rather buy the travel size next time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

this powder is so expensive bc it has two times the amount of a regular powder, so actually it's a pretty good deal. I'm serious. lt has .50 oz for $49 compared to bare minerals at the normal .27 for $28. when you divide by price it's the same value, but smashbox is just more costly at one time (it's a shame people gave this a bad review based on price instead of figuring out why it's so expensive...) you can also find this in a "travel size" which is about the usual amount of product.

the quality of this powder is amazing! it does not settle into lines or pores, it does not dry my skin out, it doesn't make me oily or clog pores, it's just an amazing powder and lasts long time. I trust this brand and the ingredients are good.

it gives a lot of coverage! you can get more or less coverage depending on what brush you use (dense for more, fluffy for less)
this powder is perfect over bb cream, foundation, or on its own.
the packaging is foolproof, just grind a little bit out and no mess! I love that I can get the look of loose powder without spilling it all on the floor
I highly recommend this!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

GORGEOUS! Feels light on the skin and combined with the Lancome Teint Miracle it's like you're not wearing skin makeup at all. The powder lasts fairly long and the packaging is nice and hygienic, with a twist mechanism that gives you access to the amount you really need. Beautiful on the skin and gives clarity.

Top Rated Smashbox Products