September 2, 2014 | 1207 users online

Treatments - Beauty Secrets - Acetone for natural nails polish remover

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 2:18:00 AM More reviews by wendigrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love using this to remove gel manicures! It works really fast. Like less than 5 mins fast. I dont know what was up with my last bottle of a different brand but it took FOREVER to soak off gel manis. So needless to say im happily switched over to this brand. :) Plus last season they had special edition pumpkin spice scent and I think it was peppermint scent for the holidays. Cute! Plus it works really really well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2012 2:01:00 AM More reviews by makeupMichelle10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great polish remover, but it still is not exactly what I am looking for. I do not mind the smell, it smells better than regular remover. I only wish it removed polish a little quicker, but it is rather nourishing on the nails. I find myself tugging at my nails trying to get the last of the polish off. I am going to try Zoyas and see how it compares.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2012 2:14:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Claims - True or False?
1) Conditions and nourishes nails: True
2) Leaves nails soft yet sturdy: True

Packaging:
My 16oz bottle has a simple tall and cylindrical design with a child-proof twist-off cap. The twist-off cap seems to be really finicky and I'm not sure if this is simply my inability to use child-proof caps easily or if this one is simply poorly designed; it takes a number of twists to finally get it off and half of the time when I finally get it off there is some minor leakage. When I first purchased it (and prior to opening) it also leaked a bit in the bag, and if I tip it over sometimes it will leak. A full list of ingredients and usage directions are printed on the back and in multiple languages, all easy to read. Large opening at the top makes dispensing quick and easy.

Formula:
Acetone-based formula that is designed to help remove polish faster than non-acetone removers but with less damage/drying than pure acetone. It is pink in colour and has a fairly strong artificial fruity smell - many claim it to smell like cherries but I wouldn't say it quite smells like that myself. I am not put off my the fragrance and do actually enjoy it, even if it is quite strong.

Performance:
Although it contains acetone it does not remove my polish as quickly as I was hoping it would, but compared to old removers I've used and to another acetone-based brand I tried (onyx - I do not at all recommend) it definitely is a good step up. I've also tried the OPI acetone-based remover and I would say that that one works faster at removal than Beauty Secrets, but for the price it's definitely not worth purchasing a large bottle. I've been using this a lot in the last week or two as I've been testing out my new base and top coats and my nails have been in quite good shape. My yellowing has faded quite a bit, which I attribute not only to discontinuing the use of my former Bonder base but also to the superior nail polish removal of this product. I don't need to use nearly as many cottons to remove polish with this and it works pretty well on stubborn glitters/shimmers without too much of a fight. Glitter, shimmer, and pigment don't stain or stay on my skin quite as stubbornly as with other removers other than right around the cuticle where removal can be a bit more difficult. While it doesn't seem to be weakening or drying out my nails my cuticles and skin overall can get dried out by the remover, especially if I don't rinse my hands of the product after use. But again compared to other removers the effect is less pronounced.

Bang for your Buck:
There are 4 sizes, with the large 128oz/1 gallon bottle costing around $20USD on the Sally's website. My 16oz cost around $5CAD and with regular use will definitely prove to be a bargain compared to other drugstore cheapie brands costing the same amount for half the size.

Final Consensus:
This is definitely a remover I will be sure to pick up again when I run out, likely the large gallon refill bottle as it will be far more economical. I am no longer bothered by the fumes of nail polish removal, which itself is reason enough to repurchase. Would highly recommend to others looking for a new polish remover!
* Overall Rating: 4.5/5
* Price: 1/5
* Packaging Quality: 2/5
* Repurchase: Yes.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2012 7:45:00 PM More reviews by Andyjan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't know why I didn't come across this sooner. I've tried so many nail polish removers and none of them have been as good as this one. I do my nails frequently (2x a week) and I like to get the polish off fast, needless to say, acetone is a must. I was regularly buying Target's up&up 100% acetone for 3-4 bucks a bottle. It did the job but was super drying.

About 3 months ago I went to spend my Sally's 5 dollar coupon (from renewing my membership) and decided to buy the biggest bottle of this. It ended up being about $0.50 with the coupon. BEST 2 QUARTERS EVER SPENT. I will never buy another np remover again! This is moisturizing, smells good (unless you hate cherries), and works fast. HG product.

Keep in mind, the scent does linger around for a while though! I don't mind it personally, its a light, sweet cherry smell :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2012 1:01:00 PM More reviews by bih80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite nail polish remover and I do my nails twice a week. So I just ended up buying the large gallon and just refilling my smaller container. It's smells great, it's effective, it's moisturizing on my cuticles and not drying at all. However, if you do a lot of glitter I would use their pure acetone one so quicker removal.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2011 12:54:00 AM More reviews by petmyskurvette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My favorite nail polish remover! So affordable and takes off my nail polish so easily. My nails tend to be dry as well, and this doesn't dry them out too much. The smell is also not as bad as normal polish remover. I am definitely in love with this!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2011 6:18:00 AM More reviews by gretch462

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I change my nail polish every other day or so. I LOVE this stuff! It works really, really well, is super cheap, well packaged (I've had acetone leak out of other bottles before, but this seems to have a more industrial strength cap!) and also leaves my hands less dry. I don't end up with white fingers from this.

fwiw, I have a bottle of Zoya remove sitting right next to a bottle of this in my bathroom closet. I think that this product works better and this is what I reach for - and I love Zoya products to the death.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/25/2011 6:48:00 PM More reviews by LittleTornado

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Sorry to be the odd reviewer out, but this stuff stinks!! I would rather have the chemical smell than this artificial "Cherry" scent any day. And it doesn't go away. Yuk! If you like the smell of 100 cherry air fresheners on your skin this is the stuff for you. But its too sickening for me.On the flip side it does work well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by mzebra

Makes removing nail polish less of a chore. Which is good for me, because I paint my nails more. Hurray.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2010 6:56:00 PM More reviews by Lizziex3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Well this is pretty much a staple in my collection. I bought the 16oz bottle this time at the beginning of the year and it's still half full! I add glycerin to it because that's supposed to make it a little more gentle, though it does already contain some vitamin E to make it moisturizing. Anyway I just soak a hands-down ultra pad in it and stick it on my nail for 30 or so seconds and then wipe the polish off and move on to the next nail. Glitters take a bit more work but it still comes off in a breeze. Great product! And it's super cheap and on on sale a lot of the time.