July 28, 2014 | 1336 users online

Treatments - China Glaze - calcium gel fortifier

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

OK, so this is all sorts of brilliant. I have weak nails that are very prone to splitting and peeling at the tips and this has become my HG - I've tried about a dozen different Sally Hansen and Manicare products and on a whim ordered this from Cherry Culture in the US (China Glaze is not available in New Zealand as far as I know) and I have already ordered a second bottle. At less than $6USD a pop (most nail treatments here are upwards of $20) it is extremely affordable even with shipping.
It comes in a the standard CG bottle, the lid is a good shape to grip and long enough to hold and control comfortably. The get itself applies easily, a slightly thick formula that dries clear, quickly and evenly. The instructions say it is best used layered and reapplied every 4 days - I just use it as a base coat and apply polish over it, even though it says on the box that it is best not to (since when do I listen and do what I'm told, huh?)... I usually redo my manicure every three or so days and this has become a staple part of my routine. I have noticed a significant improvement over a month of use, even though I do not follow the product directions and while my nails are still not perfect and I do still get the occasion peely bit (usually when I've made a double batch of bagels, that is prime time nail bashing right there) but for the price paid, the great application, quick dry time and deliberate flouting of manufacturers instructions?
PRETTY DAMN FINE.
I will buy this as long as they keep making it, I kid you not. My best friend is now demanding her own supply as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Boffan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Liked it, but I didn't have any major nail issues when I started using this. Would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 11:18:00 AM More reviews by elliphante

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I am almost certain this stuff works.
My nails peel all the time. I work at a cafe, and I wash my hands too much in general, which I think is why they peel so much.
Anyway, every single time I do my weekly manicure, base coat, top coat and all, five days in and the the top layer of nail has started to split from the rest of the nail on almost every finger. When I remove the polish, I have to buff the top splitting layer away, leaving me with flimsy, thin nails that peel even more quickly, eventually leading me to cut them all really short and starting this process again.
I used this as a base coat for the first time, and was kind of just like, "Yep, another "miracle cure" nail product that will do nothing, just sit of top of my nail and chip off and just be generally useless". But I was pleasantly surprised. For the whole week, it sat under my polish, keeping all of it mostly intact (even after three busy days at work), and it appeared as though my nails weren't peeling! I thought, surely the peeling is just hiding, and will reveal itself once I remove the polish.
But no! No peeling at all! This is the first time I have gone a week without peeling nails for as long as I can remember. Yay! So that was pretty good.
The only problem I have with this product, that I can think of, is one I have with all China Glaze polishes, the brush is a bit thin. But to be honest, I don't care about that, because it works.

For now, I will continue to use this as a base coat, and update if anything changes!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by fransielfeld

Veryy bad! It did nothing to my nails!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2010 7:25:00 PM More reviews by theseahag

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My nails are weak and tend to split so I'm looking for a good strengthener. I've been using CGF for about a month now and really haven't seen any great results. I've used Nailtiques in the past and this is nowhere near as good.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2010 11:07:00 AM More reviews by elbz08

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this, i don't use it everytime i do my nails, just when i want to grow them out or if they've been a little dry. Its sort of thick but i like that. I don't think its ment to really be a basecoat, more of a treatment, but i use it as a basecoat all the time and it works fine, polish goes over it with no problem, i really do see a diffrence in how fast my nails grow with this, i'll definitely buy another bottle when i run out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2010 9:46:00 PM More reviews by ninadelsol

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

A great base coat but I don't see anything major yet.
EDIT: Up to 5 lippies. My manicurist is convinced that this is the product that has changed my nails from brittle, soft and short to hard, strong and beautiful nails. Love this product and I'm on my second bottle.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2009 11:32:00 AM More reviews by Ajziz

I think CGF has made my nails stronger, but they do still tend to split. I love to use it as a basecoat and for that it workes great! Not sure if I'd repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2008 12:31:00 PM More reviews by ilakdala

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have gone through about 5 bottles of China Glaze's Calcium Gel basecoat, and that's unprecedented. It's my HG, though I know there are some others out there that sound just as good (Barielle's Camo, SH Nail Quencher). But I'm in love with Calcium Gel. It doesn't strike me as a nail treatment as much as a nail protector. It has a nice, somewhat thick (hence the gel designation) consistency. I've not only had less chipping with this base coat, my nails seem stronger when I am wearing it. The protection helps especially when it comes to water, as I'm not always good about wearing gloves. I have less peeling with Calcium Gel too. My only quibble is I have to order this online; I've never seen it in a store. Highly recommended, though! I will despair if ChG ever stops making this.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2006 8:47:00 AM More reviews by get_the_lipstick_free

I am in need of better stronger nails. Cannot say that anything has really helped my nails get there. But this product has done a good job of protecting my nails and it does not flake off after multiple times of washing my hands which I was finding with some other products, very embarassing when working with patients. I found it to be moderately more expensive than say Sally Hanson, but will buy again if ever run out.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No