October 2, 2014 | 998 users online

Treatments - Creative Nail Design - Solar Balm

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2013 10:05:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Can't say I care much for this. It is very moisturising, but extremely greasy at the same same, and the tin can be really difficult to open and close. The balm is apparently unscented, but the one I have (which might have been in stock for some time before it came to me) smells like old, stale, oxydised almond oil, just that yucky, sticky scent of vegetable oil that has gone off. Yuck. I even tried adding a few drops of essential oil to see if it would help, but it was just a waste of essential oil and didn't help the rather gross smell of the almond oil.

I was intending to use up the tin I had on my toes (around the cuticles and other places that get very dry), because the smell wouldn't be as noticeable there, but the tin was such a pain to use that I finally just tossed the whole thing out. At least I didn't pay that much for it!

Definitely won't be buying this again!

To be fair, I suspect strongly that when this product is fresh, there is no harsh oxidised oil smell, but I don't really like products with such a short shelf life, and which are so gross when they do go off.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2012 8:28:00 AM More reviews by bonnyanne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this product. I think it does as it says on the packaging - moisturises, conditions and soothes dry skin. The packaging states that it can be used on basically anywhere that needs extra moisturising, but I've only ever used it on my finger and toe nails, and once or twice my knuckles when they've been very dry in winter. I have always found that it works very well for me.

It has a rather odd smell, though it's subtle. It's a bit yuck to be honest, but it doesn't last. It is quite greasy feeling when you initially put it on, but if you just let it soak in for a few minutes it's absolutely fine. Obviously if you just rub it onto your fingers/cuticles then go to use your iPhone or something then, yes, it's going to leave a smear! But if you use this as part of your night routine before going to bed, then it's fine. I put some on this morning before heading out shopping, let it be for 5 minutes, and it was completely absorbed.

I have the 1/2 oz and it comes in a tube, with a screw on lid, which I really like. It's better than a bottle having to paint it on. You can just chuck it into a very tiny handbag and it takes up no space at all.

Overall, I think this is a good quality product and I think with regular use it would make a good difference to anyones skin. It has with mine.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2010 5:28:00 AM More reviews by Arbuz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love SolarOil and I hate SolarBalm. It smells awfulla and it's steaky. Waste of money.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2009 5:29:00 PM More reviews by Sassymedusa

At first I liked this balm ok. It was greasy but that's the point isn't it? But I have 2 big issues with. #1 this went rancid in about 2 months. It smelled like I was spreading 5 year old crisco on my nails. #2 the tin was rusting shut- that's why it was so hard to open. This stuff got disgusting and I had to throw it out. Would never repurchase the balm, but I like the Solar Oil.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/5/2009 11:19:00 PM More reviews by bebexlove

This stuff is awwwwwwwwwfull!! This is coming from someone that LOVES the solar oil! I thought this would be a good thing to carry around with my when I didn't want to carry around the oil.. but OH MAN.. I bought this and UGH! It was sticky sticky stickyyyy!! I returned it right away!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2009 5:28:00 PM More reviews by Paulchen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Good product for on the go. Love the smell of it. Although I like the packaging of the Avoplex cuticle oil-to-go pen more. The tin is a bit difficult to open. So I wouldn't buy the balm again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2009 1:43:00 PM More reviews by jaqi16

I really like this balm. I think the consistency is perfect, and you don't need a lot of product so the tin will last a while. It is so much easier to be better about taking care of your cuticles when you have this since it's portable, and I didn't find it messy at all (you just need a TINY amount, or it would be).

I love that this is softer and much less greasy than Burts Bees, and it absorbs into the skin penetrating the cuticle better.

Downside is I don't think it works as well as my Haken cuticle oil, but it is more portable.

UPDATE: I just tried California Mango Mend, and I like it even better than the Solar Balm, so I probably won't be repurchasing this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by MDgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

For Ulta's recent grand opening in my neighborhood, customers received a wonderful goodie bag of popular products. One of the items that was featured was "SolarBalm" by Creative Nail Design. SolarBalm is a conditioning salve intended for dry cuticles and nails.

Since I normally use Sally Hansen's "Flawless Hands" and C.O. Bigelow's "Lemon Hand Treatment", I didn't give the SolarBalm much thought and placed it in my travel essentials. As of late, I have had the *worst* outbreak of eczema on my right hand! Extremely dry, itchy, bumpy, red, angry skin!! My normal lotions could not alleviate the extreme dryness and peeling skin. As a last resort, I brought out the handy SolarBalm and hoped/prayed for a miracle! The concentrated form of jojoba and other oils along with vitamin E did the trick! I dabbed a tiny amount and spread it around on the affected areas (after I applied a prescription cream). The balm melted immediately on contact and was easy to spread around. The oils penetrated the skin and didn't leave a greasy residue behind. After a couple of days, I noticed that my skin started to heal and the moisture barrier started to come back. What a relief!!

Once the skin fully heals, I am going to use this as a night treatment. I like the tiny tin since I can stuff it into any purse and go. No more cracked and ashy hands!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2008 3:43:00 PM More reviews by ChristinaSF

I recently started using the Solar Oil and *love* it, so decided to try carrying the solar balm in my purse.

This product is a more gooey consistency than other cuticle balms I've tried - almost like a vaseline. There's a light scent, which is almost neutral, again like a vaseline or baby oil.

Because of the consistency, the product goes on quickly. My main complaint is that, for a product I purchased specifically to use 'on the go', it's not very easy to use in public. I tend to get it all over my fingers, making the tin hard to put back together, resulting in a greasy tin, which I don't want to put back in my purse. My fingers also stay greasy, either until I wipe them off with a napkin, or wait about 10 minutes for the stuff to sink in.

This product is also not as effective for me as the solar oil.

So, I will stick with the solar oil / L'Occitane cuticle cream at night / in the morning, and continue to look for a product to use during the day.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2008 9:42:00 AM More reviews by KeLLsTar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am a big fan of Solar Oil, but after having a bad experience with (another brand of) cuticle oil leaking in my handbag, I didn't want to risk it when I started using Solar Oil.

Solar Balm is very handy to keep in your bag, but I've realised that I much prefer the original Solar Oil.

The little tin can be hard to open, and even harder to close once you have rubbed in the balm.

I don't like the feel of the balm very much. It has a Vaseline consistency. It's probably as good as the oil, but it doesn't feel as nourishing for some reason.

Once the tin has finished I think I will keep a 5ml Solar Oil bottle in my bag and hope for the best.