October 25, 2014 | 1900 users online

Loose Powders - Ben Nye - Translucent Face Powder - Topaz

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2013 3:22:00 AM More reviews by moosefied

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

blind buy stuff. i was afraid banana powder might be scarily too yellow for me so i searched for another colour. this one on the website is the lightest creme shade, in my mind it would be a perfect match for my skin tone.
i got really surprised when it arrived. its so dark and soooo orange. i tried it all over my face and YES it was wayyyyy too orange, just like tanning went wrong.
i tested it for the whole day let it sit on my face. after half hour+, by time it started to blend with my skintone. oil control is also better than the banana powder.
my conclusion : its not bad but also not my fave. i rarely reach this, but i do using this from time to time. it suits darker ladies out there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2013 11:12:00 PM More reviews by miomega

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the perfect matte, loose setting powder for those with yellow or golden undertones.
On my NC50 skin, it leaves a minimal but noticeable amount of 24k-like color without any shine or shimmer, unlike the Banana Powder which completely disappears over foundation and can sometimes look pasty. It gives a natural but polished effect that lasts for most of the day. I touch up once in the late afternoon and that's it. Wish it came in a compact! Budget friendly, and a definite repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2012 2:44:00 PM More reviews by Sagehen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Very happy to have found this powder. Have been on the hunt for a good foundation match since my previous product was discontinued, and as you can imagine, I have several failures at home. This powder has fixed that. It gives a smooth, translucent finish that controls oil for a litle while which surprised me (i.e., when I wear it I don't have to powder by the time I get to work) and corrects the overly red tones in many foundations geared toward women of color. The price for the product is amazing and I just can't believe this product has been around all this time and I have come across it, but I am glad I did. When I run out of this and the cheapie foundations I will pleasantly hunt through the many colors Ben Nye produces for the next holy grail.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/22/2009 5:13:00 PM More reviews by alexikiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

After the rave reviews on here, I ordered this product online. That turned out to be the main problem and why I did not rate this as high as I would have liked. Being that it's not easy to find this product anywhere but online, you have to go by the little color swatches they show you in order to determine the color. Which is completely inaccurate. I picked Topaz, as the lighter colors seemed to pale or pink for me. When it arrived, one look at the bottle and I knew this color would NOT be for me. Yup, I was orange. I was even more dismayed to find out that I couldn't exchange this product for another shade. So don't purchase from funhousetheatrical.com unless you know exactly what you need. Really disappointed because I wanted to like this powder, especially at the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2007 6:31:00 PM More reviews by mljohnson123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm DDD with yellow & red undertones(NW45/NC50 or HIP820). I prefer to wear foundation that's a perfect match for my complexion and top with translucent powder. I have used BenNye neutral set for some time now. But wanted to try a translucent with a slight bit of color. Topaz has a firey-gold or amber tint to it. Which BTW, is a difficult shade to find. Similar shade as Iman Oil Blotting Powder in 'Light/Medium'. Perfect lightweight translucent powder for most medium to deep ethnic skintones. I use as a hightlight powder or dust all over face to remove shine w/o adding too much color. On par with all BN powders. Cost $8 for 3.5 oz shaker jar at local theatre supply store. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2007 5:58:00 PM More reviews by rubysubi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

HG powder. Forget MAC's Blot Powder, or DDF's powder... this is THE ONE. For the first time, I went out of the house at 6am, came back at midnite, and my makeup was still on, without having looked cakey or chalky when i left.. it is FANTASTIC! When I'm going out to the club, I use this to ensure that when I get down, my makeup doesnt streak and get eaten up by my face..
The only minus is the packaging (the shaker bottle), but i just use the top of my other powder containers and I'm fine.. Seriously, $4 for a 4.3oz life saver is PEANUTS! I will never stray! I bought it online for a total cost of $5 from some theater supplies site.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2006 2:25:00 PM More reviews by fes_fsa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i ran out to the local magic shop and picked this up after i found my BN CC foundation was a touch light on me (pc-42 Japanese). i was worried that it would be too orange for my skin--it's a warm light caramel color in the bottle. however, on my skin, it's a beautiful warm golden olive. it matches the color on my neck perfectly, and makes my makeup look completely natural. also, it hasn't dried out my skin, nor has it given me any irritation/breakouts. it's dirt cheap too, i paid $4.99 for a 1.5 oz bottle! wish it came in a jar though, so it gets a 3 on packaging quality.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2006 2:07:00 PM More reviews by gruveechik

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not bad - my 1st review i would have repurchased.. but now that my CoverFX colour has changed to B15 - i'm happy to stick with my CoverFX setting powder.Here's a bit of my previous review:i'm a CoverFX I40/MAC NC45 -- which is essentially CCC - Caramel-hued gal with what appears to be yellow undertones, but i'm really olive undertoned. (get all that??)Topaz makes me look less sallow... helps reduce the green/blue undereye shadows as well + it's FREAKING cheap!!!! Packaging sucks b/c it's a shaker bottle.. but i was forewarned. i transferred some to a flat container - dip my brush in.. shake it out and apply lightly. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2003 9:30:00 AM More reviews by blkwdow666

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Watch out Bobbi! This powder (~$5 for 42g), as Yunity says below, is a warm golden yellow. In fact, it's similar to Bobbi Brown's Golden Orange (discontinued?) loose powder. I don't use this alone, but blend it with other powders with BN Neutral Set to add warmth. Though I'm a GGG, I also think it could work for lighter skin tones as a low-key contour colour as well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2003 6:24:00 PM More reviews by yunity

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've finally found the solution to my foundation color problems. I've purchased too many foundations that just appear a tad grey and overall give me a pasty, unhealthy look (I'm a Asian MAC C3/NC30). Sure, I could use blush, but I usually end up looking more like a geisha or a clown. Bronzers usually make me look too tan. So I opted to buy these color corrective powders (I bought several of them--at 5 bucks a pop, why not?) and found the Topaz to be perfect for this problem. So now those old foundations don't have to go in the trash! You do have to be careful about blending well, as the color is vibrant golden yellow (almost orange) in the container, but with proper blending it imparts a very healthy glow and makes me look alive again. I've added this powder to some of my other too grey powders, with fantastic results! The best part is because these powders are so cheap, you can buy a bunch and mix them to get the perfect match. I like mixing the yellow one (Banane) with Topaz--adds warmth and glow.