Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.7

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 8/29/2015 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

so, i just received this powder in the mail the other day and i love it already. when i bought this, i wondered how they could possibly claim a powder, which dries things, naturally, is HYDRATING? like, i don't think that's something a powder can even do. gimmick aside, though, this powder is pretty awesome.
i don't use enough to see actual coverage from it, as i use it to just set my foundation. but, it gives me a really nice, natural, non-cakey finish to my skin. it doesn't mattify my skin to the point that it looks unnatural, which is what i think they may have meant by 'hydrating'.
unfortunately, this powder is like FIFTY FRICKIN' BUCKS which is *RIDICULOUS* for a powder. but.. i don't think i mind it as much as i should, as it seems to be outperforming my drugstore powder by miles. and another unfortunate thing is how messy it is - powder gets all over the inside of the tin, the mirror, everything when it's closed. however, i feel like those aren't huge dealbreakers, seeing as i don't even use the included mirror and i can just easily wipe off the powder on the inside (kinda wasteful though). all in all, this is a very nice powder for people who are tired of cakiness and don't mind dropping 50 dollars.

on 8/20/2015 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

really amazing coverage for the powder alone. i put it on top pf CC cream. feels really nice on the skin. love it. gave it 4 stars because the packaging it kind of irritating.

on 8/9/2015 12:21:00 PM

So my friend bought this powder and looked like a million bucks in it, so of COURSE I couldn't resist.

Well...sometimes that works out, sometimes not so much. I guess this is a pretty good powder. It lasts like anything on your face and does not get cakey or settle into my fine lines and whatnot. So that is excellent.

But poreless? the top of the wishlist for a powder? Maybe way too much to ask of a powder, but definitely not what you get here. It's lovely, but it's no miracle worker.

[Just in case you are about to tell me I need a good primer and foundation and a good skin care regimen to achieve poreless-- I am working those angles, too.]

Anyhow, let me tell you about the packaging: it's GREAT. You grind a little powder and use it. Takes a light touch not to waste it, but you can do it. And the rest of the stuff doesn't get grubby over time. It stays nice and neat underneath the grinder. Now...what happens when it gets low and there's still stuff in there? I can see me going in there with a hammer, because there's no way to open the packaging that I've seen.

In short, I would probably buy it again if I don't come across a vastly better powder in the time it takes me to use this up. But I'd much rather buy the travel size next time.

on 7/25/2015 8:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

this powder is so expensive bc it has two times the amount of a regular powder, so actually it's a pretty good deal. I'm serious. lt has .50 oz for $49 compared to bare minerals at the normal .27 for $28. when you divide by price it's the same value, but smashbox is just more costly at one time (it's a shame people gave this a bad review based on price instead of figuring out why it's so expensive...) you can also find this in a "travel size" which is about the usual amount of product.

the quality of this powder is amazing! it does not settle into lines or pores, it does not dry my skin out, it doesn't make me oily or clog pores, it's just an amazing powder and lasts long time. I trust this brand and the ingredients are good.

it gives a lot of coverage! you can get more or less coverage depending on what brush you use (dense for more, fluffy for less)
this powder is perfect over bb cream, foundation, or on its own.
the packaging is foolproof, just grind a little bit out and no mess! I love that I can get the look of loose powder without spilling it all on the floor
I highly recommend this!

on 6/15/2015 5:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

GORGEOUS! Feels light on the skin and combined with the Lancome Teint Miracle it's like you're not wearing skin makeup at all. The powder lasts fairly long and the packaging is nice and hygienic, with a twist mechanism that gives you access to the amount you really need. Beautiful on the skin and gives clarity.

on 5/5/2015 9:26:00 AM

I'm a 35 year old with acne prone skin and this is a wonderful powder to put on over my Dr. jart's for a little bit of extra coverage. It looks and feels light and doesn't cake. The turning sifter is nice, but impossible to remover when it runs out so you can't scrounge any more out. It doesn't turn orange over the BB or concealer, which is hard to find. No fragrance, matte finish and no breakouts! Love it.

on 4/8/2015 5:41:00 AM

Ok, I had such great expectations about this product. Having dehydrated skin, I thought it could be my HG. This powder doesn't give much cover and shade choice is very limited, still it could be an ok product have it lived to it's hydrating promises.... I tried millions of powders/foundations before (mostly department store ones), this powder is by mile the most drying and most unattractive thing I have put on my skin! I look after my skin and didn't have dry patches in months, but after applying Halo I was covered in dry patches ! It managed to accentuate fine lines that I didn't know existed , it felt very uncomfortable like instantly it sucked all the moisture out of my face!! Awful, just awful. LM mineral powder doesn't promise to hydrate yet compared to Halo it's unbelievably moisturising !!

I have so much to say about the Halo foundation and since I have a somewhat similar, yet different opinion from everyone else, I decided to put it out there in hopes that it helps someone out. Believe me, I did my research before purchasing this product and no sales representative could have convinced me to try it on before reading hundreds of reviews!

I am a 31 year old Hispanic woman with medium brown hair with green eyes. My skin type: On the dry side, fair with a yellow undertone. I used to wear the original fairly light in BE and the fair was too light/chalky/pink looking. I used to have moderate cystic acne, now I have breakouts less often and maybe one or two bumps at a time and 10 months a year I am almost 100% clear (I am taking ortho tri-cyclen and spironolactone for that and it saved my face!). My scars are very noticeable, but they're fading away thanks to chemical peels by PCA. Anyway, I'm not here to advertise other brands, but I am just providing details. I have pink and red scars and my texture isn't perfect...I have some indentations on my cheeks. Needless to say, coverage is a priority to me, but I don't want to sacrifice a natural look or the wrong shade to achieve that!

Even though BE provided medium to full coverage after the first application and my face looked glowy, it did not have staying power and it oxidized after only a few hours! I always wondered why my face looked more orange after 2 hours and realized that it was oxidation. Anyway, BE didn't break me out, but neither does Smashbox, so they're even in that respect. BE mineral foundation DID NOT stay on perfectly on my face the way Halo does. I apply HALO at 5:45 am, go to work (I work at a school and the a/c is on and off, walk around, sometimes sweat, I've gone to the gym as well, help out with the family business after work and close at 9, and when I get home and look in the mirror, my makeup looks just as flawless as when I first applied it in the morning. WHAT? YES! That's priceless to me and won't go back to anything less spectacular than that!

Rumors are true, Halo's coverage is sheer to light. Women with flawless skin or minor imperfections will LOVE this foundation, but there's no reason why women that have acne or many scars can't benefit from this wonderful formula and love it as well. Takes a few extra steps and products to make it work just as well, but don't expect this foundation alone to do all the coverage and work. The first time I tried it, I used no primer, bb cream, or concealer just to get an idea of how well it covered. Doesn't cover my pink scars well. On the same token, it doesn't cover my freckles (I like my freckles), unlike BE which covers pink (but not dark) scars, freckles, my natural color, and pretty much everything else that would help with the natural look I am going for. Halo's coverage is build-able!

The products I use that enhance the way Halo covers and makes me look flawless:
Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Light, Smashbox under eye brightner, Smashbox bb cream in fair/light, Halo powder in fair/light. Makes me look healthy, but it's a tad bid darker than my neck (but the color matches my face and arms well). Then I apply concealer. I use Bobbi Brown face touch up stick (have used MUFE full coverage, and loved Kat Von D tattoo concealer in light (they discontinued this color and they don't make them this light anymore), and I also use BE's well-rested multi-tasking powder on my pink scars. Just dab and blend on the problem areas (I take my time and use good brushes and clean fingers) and when that dries, I apply a light coat of Halo to cover that and blend it all together. I finish my skin routine with Smashbox's contour kit, Halo blush in peach, and Laura Mercier's finishing powder to set it all. Eye makeup is last, but you probably don't care about that.

I've experimented with many products and this is what works best for me at the moment. I am always in search of better products and combinations, but who isn't? Halo gives me a natural coverage because it doesn't bury my natural color and freckles where I don't have problem areas or scars, but it covers the imperfections after using concealer and blends well. Since the coverage is sheer, it eliminates the "mask" effect when you bring it down to your neck area. It's a smooth transition of color.

Halo is a little expensive, but it's worth it for me and I keep buying it. I run out of it fast...after 1 month! I don't understand the secret to making it last all year like other people have said...but I do need more coverage than the average girl. Uhm, I don't know! Lasts one month for me! And I apply it once a day, everyday, and two coats every time.

One last thing and it's not a minor detail! Smashbox photographs perfectly! So natural and matte looking! Read about their formula...they've formulated this to work on HD cameras and the difference is huge compared to how BE photographs. Just so you get an idea, I am using Smashbox on my wedding day also because I trust it will look great on pictures.

Hope this helps with making your final decision. Most makeup and department stores have great return policies. Don't forget to use any bb or cc cream before applying the Halo powder if you need more coverage! I did not like how Halo powder looks on top of liquid foundation and I tried the best brands: Armani, Chanel, Givenchy, Laura, Estee Lauder, Smashbox, etc. Have fun experimenting and I really hope you find the makeup that will make you look flawless and beautiful (thought we're all beautiful without makeup, but society dictates what perfection should look like, unfortunately)!

on 12/26/2014 7:22:00 PM

I really wanted to like this, but just could not at all. It broke me out, the pigment just wasn't there and it made my skin look dull and flat :(

Returning it.

on 10/28/2014 9:24:00 PM

I keep coming back to smash box halo. Yes, it is expensive but lasts me about a year. It goes on smooth with or without foundation and seems to live up to its hydration promises. A winner

Top Rated Smashbox Products