Neostrata Foaming Glycolic Wash (AHA 20)

No Image

3.4

Aqua (Water), Glycolic Acid, PEG-8, Alcohol Denat., Arginine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Ammonium Hydroxide, Lactobionic Acid, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Propylene Glycol, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Methylparaben, Chlorphenesin. 1/24/10

on 5/21/2017 11:20:00 AM

So, here's the thing about this product - it definitely does something and if you give your skin time to get used to the strength of the product, it really will change the texture and clarity of your skin. I have combination skin and though I am in my early 20s, I still have blemishes and issues with skin texture. I even spent $750 on microdermabrasion last year and found that though the short-term benefits were quite noticeable (particularly in terms of skin texture), in the long term I found it to be a complete waste of money and time, not to mention the fact that the procedure can be quite uncomfortable when you get to the extractions, particularly if you have congested skin like me.

I am no stranger to products with strong AHAs and I am almost certain this is why I have had so much success with this cleanser. On the Australian Neostrata website, it describes the product as being "For experienced AHA users only." If you have been using gentle cleansers your entire life, of course your skin is going to react adversely to a product that is much stronger than what you are used to, but, as I have found in the past, persistence is key and if you can get past the initial discomfort (and possibly somewhat unattractive discomfort - redness, pimples and all that weird stuff your skin does when it's adjusting to something new), you will find this cleanser works miracles.

I have been using this product for about 2 months now and I have much brighter skin, my skin texture is even better than it was when I was doing micro, though my blemishes are not completely gone - they are certainly fading. I feel like this product is really all about the way your skin feels, my skin is so soft, the drier parts of my skin feel nourished and my makeup always looks amazing. All in all this product is wonderful.

I know a lot of people are put off by the alcohol content in this wash, don't quote me on this but I'm almost certain most cleansers contain alcohol because, quite simply, alcohol kills germs and isn't that what we all want in a cleanser? My only proof that the alcohol will not damage your skin is that my beautiful mum has been using Neostrata for 20 years, she's 58 and has incredible skin. Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (collective "aww"), but objectively, her skin texture is nigh on perfect, she has very few fine lines or wrinkles, very small pores and she just has very glowy skin in general, in fact I think her skin nabs her more compliments than anything else.

I would also like to add, my mum told me before I started the micro treatments to try Neostrata because in her own experience it had the same effect. I spent a small fortune not only on the treatments themselves but on the products my beauty therapist suggested I buy to supplement the treatment (after reviewing the ingredients, the cleanser also had a high alcohol and AHA content) and, of course, my mum was right. This product is a much more cost effective alternative to micro.

The reason why I'm leaving such a long winded, glowing review of this product is because had I not known a long time Neostrata devotee, I can't imagine I would've tried this product. I can recall my first experiences with AHAs and they weren't pleasant, but I was told to persist until my skin acclimatised and have always found that my skin improves with continual use of most products with AHAs but never so drastically as it has with this wash. More recently I convinced my best friend to try it and it's having the same effect on her skin as it did mine - rapid improvement of texture, brightness and pore size and a slower but very noticeable improvement to blemishes. The great thing about this product is that it smooths out blemishes really quickly and although you'll find the mark itself takes a little while to disappear, your makeup will cover any spots really well with no bumps.

Anyway, give it a go - or don't, but gosh if you don't you just wasted half your life reading this review for absolutely nothing.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The best if it comes to anti-acne and anti-aging products. No blackheads, mimic lines appears much smoother and my face has young, healthy polished look.

It could be irritating so I use it as described on a bottle - put on for a while and the rinse. No rubbing, massaging, just on & off.
Cons:
In my opinion the ingrediends list cannot come with such a price tag.
In country, where I live it is very difgicult to get it :(

on 9/10/2016 10:32:00 AM

I do not use it on all my skin daily but it help as I have frequent outbreak on my chin and under my chin (hormonal imbalance ) , I leave it on my skin for a couple of minute and rinse it. The results are not spectacular but it helps

on 12/28/2013 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my go to cleanser. With a whopping 20 % AHA. I use a rather high AHA product, Retin-a, so the high content of AHA;s don't bother my skin. Leaves the skin so cleansed and purified.

Bought this product yesterday, used it only once and I'm not using it ever again!
I have combination skin and I'm quite used to AHA, BHA and Retinol products but this wash irritated and dried my skin beyond my worse expectations. The second main ingredient in this formulation is alcohol which irritates and dries skin - the smell of alcohol is so strong it even irritated my eyes. I spent 35 euros on this. Save your money and stay away from this product.

on 10/26/2012 12:44:00 PM

I wonder if some of you are using it too often?

I'd recommend this only as a weekly (maybe twice-weekly) treatment or occasional overnight fix. The rest of the week I use a gentle cream cleanser & hot cloth. If my skin is feeling congested or particularly dull, I leave the foam on a little longer (usually while I'm brushing my teeth) before washing off. Then I follow up with the Neostrata smoothing cream on any trouble spots, a hydrating cream on the rest.

I got 3 glycolic mini peels from a dermatologist to address dullness and a little pigmentation on my face. Rather than fork out for peels again the next year, I bought this cleanser. At first I did use it a little too often (3 days in a row) and my skin ended up slightly 'sun-burned', but used sparingly it's just as effective as the peels for keeping my skin bright, clear and plumped up.

The price is reasonable if you use it weekly - mine has lasted a year. Repurchasing now!

on 9/24/2012 7:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Too harsh on the face. It left me with dry skin and few hours later 2 painful cyctic pimples appeared on my cheeck. I took the advise from one of the MUA reviewers and relegated usage of this to my legs, which usually have keratin bumps. Now my legs are smooth and soft. I would'nt use this on my face again.

Iím giving this product 5 stars because itís not flawless, but it is the one product that has been a saving grace for me consistently. I began using this a year ago after the dermatologist performing my microdermabrasions recommended it to me. I have acne-prone skin that is also extremely prone to red marks that take months to fade, as well as rosacea, so normal acne-fighting face washes only covered half the battle. This foaming wash makes my skin clearer than I ever thought possible, as grossly cliche as that sounds. Not only does it prevent zits, it constantly exfoliates my skin to fade any lasting redness. For the first time ever, I feel completely comfortable leaving the house with absolutely no makeup, which is absolutely incredible in a college setting where Iím always hopping between my friendsí dorms. Hopefully Iíll thank my past self for this as it promises wrinkle reduction as well. I will note that I am on birth control and two different pills for acne, I take omega-3 and flaxseed oils daily, and I shower at night, which Iíve noticed has made a dramatic difference in the quality of my skin (maybe itís the vapor opening my pores, maybe itís the complete removal of makeup--who knows). I also use Retin-A at night, which combats redness and acne as well, but these two products together do cause a lot of dryness. Iíve begun to moisturize both in the morning and at night, and I threw out my foundation with salicylic acid in it in favor of a less drying one. Iím 19 and have had consistent acne that Iíve been combating since I was 9, so I sometimes feel like my skin is completely immune to acne products by now; this might be the reason that Iíve found success using the NeoStrata wash twice a day while others might find itís too strong to use at all. If nothing else, I would strongly recommend this wash if you struggle with scars and redness, have acne, and might want a different approach after finding little success with the normal benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid routines. I wish you guys the best of luck!

on 5/31/2012 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Depending on your skin type this product can either be a total hit or a huge fat miss. My lovely mum recommended this to me and said this cleanser was responsible for getting rid of her dark spots and tightening up her pores. On her normal, slightly oily skin this was a godsend, but after only four days on my combo/sensitive/acne prone skin, my face blew up. The first day felt great but this quickly became very drying and irritating for my skin, and it also left 5 pimples behind for me to make friends with. Will definitely not repurchase for myself, but I must admit my mum's complexion has improved.

on 1/4/2012 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This stuff is strong! I only use it once a week and I apply an extra concentrated cream or serum afterwards. The first time I used it for 3 days in a row and my face felt like it had been stripped and baked! I had redness and irritation. Maybe OK as a deep cleanser but not everyday for me.