Calvin Klein Obsession

Calvin Klein Obsession

3.8

on 12/23/2016 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This perfume is my biggest, longest love affair....
This was my scent back in the 80s and 90s. I first smelt Obsession in 1989 Christmas in Kuala Lumpur where all the fancy shopping malls were heavy on Obsession. I had to get one, and it was my fav well into the 90s. I was then young and carefree, life was all parties and cute guys....
Then I gave up perfume.
I tried again today, its still gorgeous, i tried both the Vintage and Reformulated. If you let both sit for an hour...Obsession is still Obsession, powerful, sexy, spicy and Come hither. Its for the big hair, big shoulder pads girl who has now matured into a I know who I am lady, strong, sensual and self-supporting. She needs not tell or publish her woes on FB or air her dirty laundry in public. She knows she will get over it and get on. Life is as great as you make it, or as dramatic.
I wear this scent like a dream, men love it on me, and I love it on me.
Yes, its cheaper price-wise than Shalimar and Samsara, the other 2 orientals I love, but its not cheaper in sensation, if you know what I mean.
Not a safe blind buy, you have to be ready for Obsession.....

on 1/28/2014 8:31:00 PM

I love Obsession, just as much as I loved the 80's! I miss the strong perfumes, now everyone seems to be so sensitive that I can only wear it at home.

on 3/9/2012 3:38:00 PM

Strange how Obsession continues to be controversial so many years after it was created! I was around back then and I remember the incredible hype. And I wouldn't have been caught dead wearing it then because I was determined to be different.
About 20 years later, a couple of things happened that led to me buying Obsession. First, I visited a beautiful, beloved cousin and noticed she had a bottle of this in her bathroom (and it was about the only fragrance in there). Then, not too long after that, I found a bottle on clearance. I decided the perfume gods had spoken, so it's mine now.
It took me a while to actually wear this potent concoction, and I can't imagine wearing it every day. For me, it's a sort of Sacred Monster, which means it's beautiful, but it can bite your head off if you're not careful. And as for what it actually "smells like," that obviously depends on a lot of different factors. Is it sexy, as so many other reviewers have mentioned? I would say, not really--it seems more androgynous to me. There is even a musty or medicinal note in here that may be what some people interpret as old-fashioned. There are a couple of things that keep cropping up in the reviews that I can identify with. One: This fragrance seems to boost my confidence. And Two: DO NOT OVER-APPLY!
Finally, I find this scent addictive. I really enjoy smelling it evolve as I go through the day. It's like another aspect of my personality, that I didn't know was there until I found this perfume.

on 11/9/2011 3:18:00 PM

I used up my last bottle of the original from the late 80's. Then I bought a new bottle. I was horrified at what they had done to this once magnificent fragrance. I was so repulsed by the new juic ethat I promptly returned it to the dept store to see if I had gotten an old bottle. But no. It's been reformulated and as usual, the fragrance is ruined. For good. I haven't bought anything fragrance-wise in Calvin Klein for the past 10 years, and I probably won't be buying any in the future, if this reformulation of a former masterpiece is any indication as to where the future of perfume lies in this company.

on 5/7/2011 12:24:00 PM

These are some of the most entertaining comments I've read about a fragrance. IMO, people like to smell good, and Obsession is popular because it makes you smell good. I never owned it because I was just averse to all the hype back in the 80s-90s. However I do recall getting a whiff of it from a co-worker -- the sillage was beautiful, and caused me to soften my opinion of Obsession. Now that I'm a woman of a certain age, I'm more open to trying different perfumes. My beau smelled a sample card of Obsession that was sitting in a stack of mail, he loves it, and you only live once, so I'm getting some!

on 4/6/2011 11:37:00 AM

I havn't had Obsession on my skin since I was a wee teen in the 80's! I actually can't really believe I used to wear this stuff as a teenager as it's a huge perfume! I do like it, it's a nice powdery spicy scent on me but only suited for winter IMO. Spritzed carefully, I'll probably used my Q-tip or cotton ball method (1 spray on a Q-tip or cotton ball then applied gently to wrists) as this stuff when over spritzed could take out a small town! I'll revisit Obsession in November and revise my review if anything is different. :o)

on 1/16/2011 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I like fragrances of all kinds: designer, niche, Avon, drugstore scents - favorites in every category. But the one I love above all is Obsession. It's a warm, inviting, enveloping, mysterious spicy Oriental fragrance that makes me feel like ten million bucks when I wear it. Like other CK fragrances - most notably Euphoria - it has to be applied with a very light hand, on the "come in close and breathe deeply" theory. In almost 30 years I've never smelled a knockoff that could remotely compare. I have two bottles of the cologne and some remnants of powder, lotion, etc., from the 1980s; they haven't lost any of their intensity and I will guard them zealously for the rest of my life! I have more recent favorite fragrances too, but this is the one, the only: my holy grail!

on 1/15/2011 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

To the previous poster...
you say you used to receive compliments every time you wore Obsession back in the 80's but dont get compliments now when you wear it - because of this - you think 'the formula has changed'?

I'm guessing you were in your 20's when you first wore this perfume.....
do you think this could be the reason you received compliments then and not now?
(young women tend to get compliments no matter what they're wearting - as an example - I used to sometimes wear 'Charlie' perfume back in the day - that stuff smelled terrible and yet I still used to get compliments).
I think its a case of 'we have changed' more than the formula has changed :(

on 12/31/2010 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

How strange. This has to have been reformulated since it was first released. I wore Obsession back in the 80's when it was first released and I remember a deep spicy warm fragrance that had other's asking me what fragrance I had on every day that I wore it.

Not this Obsession. I tested and at first I had a explosion of "green". That is okay because I waited for the spice and warmth of the dry down. It never came. I had about 2 solid minutes of a cinnamony like spice but it wasn't quite cinnamon.

The a dry down to something non biological. Like another member here said "something plastic" "melted burnt plastic".

Decidely unpleasant. This is not the Obession that I remember and I highly encourage anyone who is interested in this fragrance to do a tester and wear it all day before purchase. I won't be buying this fragrance.

Obsession is a classic and classy sweet spicy oriental. It has monster sillage and must be used lightly. But if used lightly and properly, Obsession can be worn for almost any occasion. Dab lightly for work, daytime, church. A little heavier and you're ready for a night on the town. Apply quite heavily and you're likely to suffocate persons in your immediate vicinity.
The mandarin and bergamot combine with the jasmine in the top notes in a most intriguing way, giving off a little spicy mysterious aroma. Warm and inviting yet still cool and mysterious. The amber and oak moss bases give this scent depth and substance.
I highly recommend Obsession to lovers of spicy sweet oriental scents. Or to anyone tired of the current pandemic of generic white florals and fruity florals being offered up by the thousands these days.

Popular Fragrances