Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Filtered by hair type : Other
Aphogee  Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)
The before(L)/after (R) of hair after AphogheeTwo-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.5

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

on 2/20/2016 5:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Holy Mother of God, this product is a life saver. When you are having breakage issues, this is the product you want to use and nip it right in the bud. I know why I never used this product before, I was scared of losing all my hair?? I had major breakage issues, after trying millions of oils, masks, conditioners, shampoos, gave in and finally gave this product a try and I have to say it is helping with the breakage. Wish I had tried this earlier and not lost the thickness. I blow dry twice a week, use henna once every 6 months and this product is a must for me. I follow up with Macadamia Professionals Nourishing Moisture Mask and love the results. The smell is not that bad and compared to Apple cider vinegar this smells wonderful :P Do give it a try if your hair needs a boost. I am writing this review after finishing up the small bottle. Planning to purchase the bigger size now.

on 12/22/2014 4:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have very dark brown hair and DIY bleach to platinum. This means I need to lift twice + tone at least every 6 weeks for roots. Normally I'm not a high maintainance kind of person, but I love the platinum and get random compliments on it wherever I go, so I'm sticking with it for now! Needless to say this process is extremely damaging to my hair and while I get regular trims, my hair can get the gross gooey feeling when wet that indicates overprocessing.

Yes, this product smells like cat pee.

Yes, this product is a pain to apply and sit around and let dry.

However, this product is a vital part of my post-coloring routine. Hair that is previously gooey, slimy, and stretchy shows immediate improvement upon rinsing the product out. When I follow with a deep contitioner, dare I say it, my hair is downright silky. My hair should not be silky considering the amount of stress I put it through, but it is! Even my boyfriend notices a difference in my hair texture.

While I know it is not repairing the damage I do, it temporarily "fills in the gaps" that the bleach causes in my hair matrix. It's not a permanent fix (it's been a month since I last used it and every time I wash my hair I can feel its texture changing) so it needs to be a part of my regular haircoloring routine. Everytime I stop at Sally's to refill my bleaching supplies I pick up a bottle. And shoot, at $8, it definitely isn't breaking the bank.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I used this process almost 15years ago and forgot about it until it was mentioned on the HB.
I ran to, Sally's , ran home, wet my already clean hair and applied the 1st step the protein. OMG it hit me again the smell is like, liquid cadavor. I run a large toothed comb through and use my hand held hair dryer to heat the treatment. I have shortish hair so it didn't take the full 30 mi.
After my hair was hard as a helmet I jumped into the shower and applied step 2, the moisture. Left that on for about 5 min. Rinsed it out, ran a rake comb through incredibly soft hair and let air dry.
This product is amazing. If you have damaged hair try this before something more drastic. Less than $4 and 30 minutes in your own home is hard to beat.

Adding another shining review to the batch. I've used this product in the past but frankly, I was never patient enough to let the product completely harden on my hair. This time, with my hair completely ravaged from multiple color changes about a year ago, I decided to go big or go home.

I decided to apply the product while I was still in the shower. I squeezed the excess water out of my hair and went liberal with the protein product, drenching my hair from midshaft to ends. I avoided my healthy outgrowth since I did not want to upset it's balance. I wrapped a crappy old towel around my neck to avoid the product drips and set up my blow dryer. What do I mean by 'set up'? Well, I don't own a standalone dryer, so I took an old sneaker and put it on a shelf in my living room. I had the sneaker's rear facing the edge of the shelf and put my dryer handle in the shoe so I could sit under the dryer to let the product harden. It was seriously that easy and this time, since I didn't have to hold the dryer, I was able to completely allow the treatment to work. Be very careful when you go to wash it out. Any mangling of the hair *will* break it off, counteracting the treatment's purpose - it gets that hard.

I don't use the recommended conditioner, instead I use one of the L'Oreal EverPure ones and I let it sit for longer the recommended couple minutes, too. I allowed my hair to air dry and I was shocked at its health following this treatment. My hair was no longer frizzed and course from the ear down - instead of thinning as the shaft got longer, it just looked like hair. I'll be continuing treatment every 2 months or so since this is really nursing my hair back to life. Note that too much protein is a disadvantage to your hair - and be sure to heavily moisturize to balance after your treatment. Would I buy again? Most certainly! Does it stink? Absolutely. But it truly works if you do it correctly.

on 8/23/2013 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

BENEFITS
- Great for all hair types. Works for chemically damanged hair, but also natural 4A hair, and relaxed AA hair too. Protein doesnt discriminate.

- Strengthens hair
- Softens hair (when followed w/ appropriate moisturizing DCs)
- Adds shine because of smooth happy hair shaft
- Stops shedding
- Stops breakage
- Prevents/protects against/binds split ends
- Looks like a fresh trim and helps to retuain length
- Makes curly curls POP!
- Protects from heat damage for frequent heat stylers
- Great value. 1 small bottle lasts for about 4 applications on my very dense, textured naturally curly mid-length hair. Spreads well.

You MUST follow up with an intense MOISTURIZING deep conditioner after, preferably without silicones that will coat your hair. That can make your hair waxy blocking the potential of future humectants to enter your hair strand without using a claifying shampoo on subsequent washes.

I follow instruction steps, with some modifications:

- Use a clarifying shampoo first. I think removing any and all buildup from your hair with a clarifying shampoo first allows a clean slate for the protein to bind to the hair shaft. Then I squeeze all water out and blot dry with towel.

- Section hair into 4 sections, and loosely twist and pin before getting under a hooded dryer or hand blow drying until hard. This ensures all areas of hair are covered well. Concentrate more product on areas of damage. It can strengthen those areas but "dry out" healthy areas (e.g. roots where hair is newest, least exposed to heat and damage, and healthiest).

- Leave it on a few min after it hardens to ensure everything binds and cools and seals a bit.

- Rinse out without agitating. If there are tough spots to detangle that would require agitating, I add conditioner to help rinse. Having it in 4 sections helps during this part to.

- I use my own conditioner, its much better quality than the recommended balancing moisturizer in the kit. Also, my hair laughs at 3 minutes for a moisturizing treatment. So I leave it on much longer, and if I have time, get back under the dryer with heat. I would say 15 min. minimum with heat, 30 and a hot towel without. My favorite conditioner to use with this treatment is either Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner or Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm. For a cheapie and those on a budget I would recommend using Tresseme Moisturizing Conditioner. It will melt all that hardness right away.

Final thoughts: Everyones hair is different and you have to figure out what works for you, know what is healthy for YOUR hair and what isnt - there are basic essentials of hair health like what causes hard hair, splits, etc. that are important to know before an intense treatment. You can't just read reviews from someone else and assume it will be the same because of age or hair type - no one has the same. We have different genese, styling practices, hair routines, product tolerance, scalp environments, etc. But this is a great staple and has very high strong reviews for a reason. Good luck!

on 4/3/2013 12:50:00 PM

I have used this numerous times, but to be honest it did nothing for me. My hair is fine and thin and damages easily from daily styling, heat and periodic coloring. The only way to make my hair better is by regular trims. Maybe my hair isn't as damaged as others and I am grateful for that.

The smell of it isn't bad, just not pleasant. I will continue using it though because it is cheap and maybe it is doing something I am not aware of.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

This is a great product that I use once a month as a protein treatment. I hate doing two steps so I mix this product in a separate container with Jessicurl deep conditioning treatment and my hair is left transformed- my natural 4c hair pops with curls, is detangled and luscious.

The single best thing I've ever found for repairing damaged hair. Smells bizarre during the treatment but worth it. Have a stylist who has a hot hair dryer put it on for you, gently pulling through the hair. Don't have them smush the hair even when it's wet... you want it all straight. Then without any bonnet or cotton ... just copious towels, sit under the dryer a long time till the whole head of hair is crispy. You can flop the wet ends up onto the top gently so they can dry. Then wash out (don't shampoo) and immediately apply the moisture pack for a few minutes, and rinse that out. Helps restore fine hair that suffers in processing. (Best thing in the world for bleach issues, I think.)

Don't do it a lot - once or twice a month. Use that moisture pack often, as too much protein also isn't good for your hair and you have to balance that with moisture treatments.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Best protein treatment you can get. The first time I used this it was a total hail Mary pass when my hair was literally melting. It was damaged well beyond what I thought was salvageable, so lacking in protein that when it was wet I couldn't feel individual hairs, just a uniform mush. My hair was still damaged crap after using the treatment, but I STILL HAD HAIR! I wouldn't have been able to save any of it had I used my normal salon protein treatments.
It smells gross and it's a pain to apply, but it works. I've never used another product that could add so much strength and elasticity back to my hair. It's a heavy reconstructor, made for severely damage hair. This shouldn't be used unless you know that your hair problems are due to a lack of protein. This is not a conditioner, and it will not make your hair feel soft and conditioned. If you use this on hair that is lacking moisture it will make it dry and brittle. You need to deep condition after, and you need to continue to condition with a moisturizing conditioner that doesn't contain protein.

on 6/18/2012 11:10:00 PM

So I bought this solely off of the reviews..which seem great. Left it on my hair and blow-dried it until it was pretty solid. Rinsed it out and then used the deep conditioner it came with for about half and hour. I noticed no difference in my hair. It seemed dryer. A few days later my hair is breaking off even worse and I'm losing tons of hair!! Every time I brush it clumps fall out!! The only thing I tried was this so it must have had a bad effect on my hair. Any suggestions on how to fix this please let me know :(