E45 Cream

E45 Cream

4.4

White soft Paraffin BP 14.5% w/w, Light Liquid Paraffin Ph Eur 12.6% w/w, Hypoallergenic Anhydrous Lanolin (Medilan) 1.0% w/w, Glyceril, Monostearate, Citric Acid Monohydrate, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Cetostearyl Sulphate, Carbomer, Methyl Hydrobenzoate, Propyl Hydroxybenzoate, Purified Water

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Allergic to this. This e45 cream causes dry red rashes to appear on my face which only disappear after a week or so. The lanolin used is supposedly hypoallergenic but I cannot think of what else could be causing this unsightly redness.

If you do not suffer sensitive skin though it's moisturising and hydrating properties may make it well worth testing.

on 3/27/2016 2:32:00 PM

Background: I'm 32 and have extremely dry facial skin due to the combination of having been on Accutane in the past and living in a cold, dry climate, with heating on for half the year, and with hard water to boot.
I'm a skincare fanatic and have tried everything under the sun. At the moment my routine is a combination of French pharmacy, Korean/Japanese products, natural products (carrier oils, rosewater), prescription (tretinoin) and a few UK/US products. In terms of actives, I use hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, vitamin C and Tretinoin.

I first used E45 5 years ago, when I moved to the UK. At that time I had just finished my Accutane course and my skin was also trying to cope with the cold and dry climate (I'm originally from a hot, humid climate). I tried the E45 lotion as a body moisturiser and was utterly unimpressed. I remember adding melted shea butter to it so that I could use it up. Never bought it again.

Recently, however, I decided I wanted to try a simpler routine. Honestly, all this layering of products wasn't doing much for me. Toners, serums, essences, etc., it all seemed a bit of a waste of time and not veey effective. My skin would feel OK immediately after the product application, only to feel extremely dry 30 minutes later. So I decided to buy a small tube of E45 cream (not the lotion), hoping that the "liquid paraffin" and other clogging-sounding ingredients would not do too much damage (despite having dry skin, I occasionally break out from products and was just healing from bad breakouts caused by a physical sunscreen).

Anyway. I started using it with low expectations, as an experiment. I was using it at night, after cleansing with a Japanese oil cleanser and/or Bioderma micellar water. Sometimes I put EL ANR serum after cleansing and then E45; other times I just went straight for E45 with no serum underneath. On my tretinoin nights, I used E45 after tretinoin (waiting 30 min in between). In the morning, I don't use any cleanser, just washed with water, put my vitamin C serum (SR skincare, UK-based brand), E45 and physical sunscreen (Japanese Nivea mild, all-physical SS).

Two other things that I did that may have helped:
- I am using a warm mist humidifier at night, and before I go to sleep I turn the mist to my face and "mist it" for a few minutes with the E45 on (I also did it with other moisturisers before. Though this also gave me better results with other moisturisers, after a few hours my skin started to dry out again, which does not happen with the combination of E45 and mist - this combo literally makes my skin soft until the morning, even when I sleep on my stomach and rub my face all over the pillow)
- I put A LOT of product, usually about a grape's size (much more than the usual dime-sized amount I normally applied when using other moisturisers). This is mostly because E45 is cheap, but also because of it feels SO GOOD to apply, especially with the warm mist humidifier!

After a week of using this product, my skin is seriously so much softer and more glowy. I love my French and Korean products, but none gave me such amazing results so fast, with the possible exception of Embryolisse Lait Crème Concentré. The advantage of E45 is that it doesn't leave my face greasy like Embyolisse does, and I can actually apply it before my physical SS and look like I have a soft-focus glow on my face (as opposed to an "oily" glow).

Another reason why I am able to use this underneath other products (such as sunscreen) is because it does not contain any silicones. I have nothing against silicones, quite the opposite, love them!, but they make it difficult to layer one product on top of another because they can (and do!) pill up horribly.

So far I haven't broken out (knock on wood!) or had any other adverse reactions. Honestly I am impressed with this cream, and am very happy that I decided to give it another go. More and more I see that sticking to a simpler routine, with fewer, but more effective, actives (in my case, tretinoin and vitamin C) is what works for me. Haven't tried this as a body cream yet, but I can say it also works wonderfully for my dry hands and feet. Before my tube runs out I will get the 500 g tube (which retails for around £10 in the UK). If you have dry facial skin, I'd really recommend you give this cream a go. You might even skip the lotion as it isn't half as effective for really dry skin.

To Read all 60 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/29/2016 6:36:00 PM

Unexpectedly brilliant! I use this at night applied to slightly damp skin after I wash off my make up. I have noticed a vast improvement in the appearance and feel of my skin since I started using this. My face became horribly dry this winter and after trying lots of facial moisturisers I found a tub of E45 that my boyfriend keeps in the bathroom. It cured my dry skin in a couple of days and now it feels peachy soft and hydrated. It doesn't smell of anything, it doesn't break me out. It is moisturising enough that I can continue to wear a light moisturiser under make up in the day without my skin feeling tight. A cheap, multitasking gem of a product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A great neutral cream--doesn't sting or otherwise vex my sensitive skin, which other very plain creams have been known to do. Love this on my face. On its own, it isn't quite moisturizing enough for me, so I like to use it as a second layer over another cream or oil, especially at night, almost like a barrier cream.

Very inexpensive, and I will undoubtedly repurchase the next time I'm in the UK or Ireland. I have the tube packaging--I always like a tube because it's hygienic and you can cut it open and save every bit of product.

on 7/29/2015 11:57:00 AM

Funnily enough i've always disregarded this, not sure why.

I ran out of my usual cream i use on my legs to treat the irritated-eczema-prone skin i get get after shaving my legs, it was my Nan that suggested i try this. So i did, not expecting much. Its brilliant!
Really does help the irritation and moisturises well. It doesn't smell amazing, not bad, just it could smell better, but it does the job.

I just wish the packaging was a little bit different. It looks really medicinal (which i suppose it is, in a way). The pump is really handy too.

I would recommend.

on 7/18/2015 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

brilliant cream

I hate the term holy grail, but I may start using it for this product. I struggle occasionally with eczema and after ten years of being free of it, it came back with a vengeance on my face, making makeup application a nightmare. After prescription stuff did nothing, I picked a tube of this up on a whim a few weeks ago, and I'm in love. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin and reduces the redness and roughness in my skin. I use it a few times a day and it has really helped me. This product saved my face.

Cheap and the best. No contenders for price and quality.

on 2/27/2015 9:45:00 AM

I have tried a few moisturizes, both high end and drugstore/pharmacy and non seemed to work. I decided to buy this randomly as I saw it at my local Spar when I went to the post office, so happy I brought it!

Packaging- The one I have is in a tube, so its easy to dispense and handy to take with me traveling or to just take it to work. I know that the brand is generally medicated stuff and it fits into pharmacy shelves well however it would be great if they upgraded their packaging a little, its not very pretty is it? Or am I just being too girly and annoying saying that?!

Formula- The one I brought was in a tube. The formula is thick, creamy and smells like a typical pharmacy medicated cream.

How it did- Though the formula is thick I found that it absorbed really well. I use it on my face and it really really does a good job at moisturizing my dry face. It also does't affect my foundation, my foundation doesn't seem bothered that I am wearing moisturizer underneath which is great as sometimes I just need that extra help in the morning! It is also a dream to use a night cream on my face, it absorbs well over night so in the morning, when I wake up I don't look like an oil slick. As I have said I have tried loads of creams, low end and high end and this one is the best hands down!!!

Price- The tubes/tubs etc range in price but the tube I purchased was 2.28. You can also get it pretty much anywhere, I got it at my corner shop... You can get it from boots, superdrug, online etc.

Overall- I will totally purchase this again it is a dream, E45 is just one of those old brands that are known for doing good and you know that they know what they are doing because they have done it for so long!

on 12/25/2014 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love e45.

Really good moisturiser, sorted out my skin from the unholy effects of central heating, psoriasis and handwashing. Super impressed with this overall - pretty neutral smell, works really well and cheap. I got nearly 2 weeks from a small tube!