Lumiere Silk Powder

No Image

4.2

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Seriously-my long search for an oil control powder/product is officially OVER! Love this stuff- works like a charm! I combine this with the Lumiere Cashmere Foundation and my face if anything gets to the point of looking dewy by the end of the day. NOT oily. Very, very impressed and will be buying a full-sized jar this time.

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I only ordered this because you had to select a finishing powder. Unfortunately I got this and boy was I not happy. It smelled bad and made my face itch. I've had silk powder before and know that it can have an odor but this was the worst. I never had this happen with Oceanmist or Silk Naturals. The foundations were either chalky or tin man shiny gray. Not happy with anything but the blushes.

on 4/9/2008 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an excellent product, in my opinion. I just finished the sample size in sand and found it to be quite silky (pun intended), lacking the grainy texture of other silk powders. It works well enough at disguising red areas around my nose/mouth, applies smoothly, and hasn't caused any break-outs.

I hope the full size jar I just ordered has "shaker" holes on top. I weary of the dip/tap process or shaking product out in the cap. However, the product is so nice it's no big deal. Besides, this packaging style seems to be the norm for mmu. Also, I wish it came with a bit more tint. I use a high ppd sunscreen that imparts a slightly whitish cast to the skin, so I still have to use regular mmu. Nonetheless, it still works well at disguising my red areas (whether applied over sunscreen or on days I'm bad and go w/out sunscreen), and also acts as an excellent finishing powder. Oh- I still get flakes around the mouth from retin-a (two months- when will it end?!?!). While I think it's my sunscreen that exacerbates the flakies, they can still be seen on my super-dry days. I think this will no longer be a problem when my skin goes back to its normal-dry state, though. Overall, still an excellent product.

on 5/27/2008 11:55:00 AM

I have the translucent version. I've also used Everyday Minerals' Silk Dust and Silk Naturals silk powder. This works as well as the EDM Silk Dust and Silk Naturals stuff, though seems drier on my skin for some reason. Not good to use around the eyes as it'll highlight every little flake and line. There's that usual silk dust scent, not strong but there. I am also prone to acne and clogged pores and had zero problems with this powder in that regard.

I've applied this with a puff using the Laura Mercier method (rub a bit of powder into the puff and press it into your skin) and with a fluffy powder brush and have been pleased with the results either way. It sets my tinted moisturizer and concealer (Laura Mercier) beautifully without making me look ghostly. I get a nice, healthy matte glow that becomes semi-matte after a bit. I have combination skin and this powder also keeps me reasonably matte for a few hours before I need to blot and repowder, depending on the weather and my level of activity.

Finally, the packaging is not great. It comes in a generic, cheap-looking clear plastic sifter jar with a lid that sometimes doesn't screw onto the jar easily. I was surprised by this since this powder is rather expensive. EDM is way cheaper and their packaging is a lot nicer-looking. I will check out other brands before deciding whether to repurchase this.

This is not something that I'd normally order, but one finishing powder comes with the sample starter kit and I read some rave reviews from dry skinned gals here and I thought I could give this a go. I use a sunscreen with very goopy texture so I I thought this might work as a primer before application of mineral foundation.
Well, I was wrong. Despite a very thin application, this instantly dried out my skin and made me look like a mummy. continued >>

on 6/3/2008 10:22:00 AM

this is pretty good. i totally hate lumiere's foundations and i thought i would hate this too, but actually this is really amazing. i have the Sand shade, and it goes on completely sheer, no visible grains, no whitish cast, and it doesn't make the little hairs on my face show up. it has a matte finish and controls oil.

on 1/21/2008 8:57:00 PM

This did not control my oily skin. Jurlique silk dust does the trick but not this product. I would get oily right away.

on 2/16/2008 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Imparts an airbrushed quality to my skin. If I get carried away in the application of their beautiful brushes, this tones it down nicely without looking powdery. Pearl powder shall be my next experiment.

on 1/9/2008 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I am falling in love with Lumiere products. The silk powder in ivory didnt do much for me as a loose powder (made no difference with or without), but it's perfect as a primer. Just a light dusting of this powder after the moisturiser is absorbed, and it helps my mineral foundation look better than ever before. The foundation application process is smoother and the make up also stays on all day. I have combination skin, and only need to blot my face once at midday.

I apply the powder with the Japonesque bronzer brush (a kabuki brush) and am wondering if it will change anything if i use another brush. The powder is very compact in their half sized jar, so i have difficulty tapping it on the cap. So i swirl the brush on the sifter to get the product out. Will definitely repurchase if i run out.

Last year I finally tried another brand of silk dust and simply loved how it filled in my largish pores, but the product tended to be grainy. Someone recommended trying the Lumiere brand, and it is simply the best. Fluffy and finely milled--so no more crushing.

Have it in Sand and plain. Both blend into my fair but ruddy skin very well--and the Sand helps tone down the redness I have around my nose. Never any problems with pores clogging. I use tretinoin, which helps keep my pores unclogged yet and often creates flakes. This powder works the best when I have flakes and oil as it does not make my skin drier. Another plus is that it is so light in texture, I can reapply after blotting in the summer without the icky feeling of powder buildup.

One thing that helps is application, which I learned from a derm: I pat the powder on with my fingers and press it in the pores and then lightly brush away the excess.