Meow Cosmetics Flawless Feline Mineral Foundation

Mica, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Boron Nitride, Iron Oxides

on 2/25/2014 11:49:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

YOOOOOOOO CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH HELL YEAH FOR THIS FOUNDATION

This is going to be a long-winded and somewhat rambly review because I feel like I need to add in as many details as possible, so if you make it to the end I will give you a cookie. Or if you don't like cookies, some steamed brocolli or something.

Im still on my sample baggie and have been using this for about a week now (just placed my order for the full size). Not the longest time to wait to review a foundation, but when Im trying something new on my face Ill know if its not going to jive with my skin and cause breakouts for me or any other such tom foolery annoyances within the first couple days.

For starters, my skin type is very oily, very VERY fair, sensitive, and I dont really get breakouts anymore but still the occasional threesome of blemishes popping up here and there. And I am just so sick of liquid and cream foundations. Settling into pores and lines, separating by mid-day, and even the ones that promise an eternal matte finish breaking out in a gosh dang oil spill after 4 hours no matter what primer or setting powder I tried. By the time I got home from work my foundation always just looked janky as hell, and my face just looked tired because of the foundation. And not to mention that it seems to be a universal thing in drugstore (and even high-end brand foundations) that everyone is either yellow or straight-up diaper rash pink.

I heard about this company after a google search for pale foundations and someone on some forum had mentioned the brand so I checked it out. And holy hellsecks they have a ton of foundation shades (86 if were being exact here) and a buttload of undertones (13) and depths (6) to choose from. Sample baggies are $1 each and please, dear lord have mercy PLEASE get samples before you order a full size. The lighter coverage formulations are a bit more forgiving but if you're getting the Flawless Feline, it needs to be a pretty dang exact match. You think youre one shade but it turns out youre something completely different. And, to be honest, I always brushed off mineral or other powder foundations because they just didnt make sense to me, I dont know why. I always just thought What? Powder? How is that going to give any coverage or even stay on your face? HOW WRONG AND FOOLISH I WAS, MON CHERI.

I got my sample shades all in the Inquisitive range, Flawless Feline version (well, duh, otherwise why would I be writing the review for the Flawless) because I love me a good full coverage foundation. And lemme tell you this - there are pretty much two types of pale skin: normal pale skin, and then translucent pale skin. The latter of the two is an absolute arse to try to match a foundation to because if it's not a perfect match, it's really hard to make that foundation work with your skin. Underneath the black hair dye I am a natural redhead with that translucent skin, but I have found my perfect match with this.

I use a smaller, somewhat dense kabuki brush to apply it and it just melts into the skin when youre buffing it on. Covers my redness, evens out skintone, and after the initial buffing I go back in with a bit more of the foundation to apply it to areas where I get extra red, like around the nose and mouth. After it settles for a few minutes it just looks so good. Also the coverage seems to go up after it's settled for a couple minutes, so give it a little time before going back in and putting more on. Does it look like youre wearing foundation? Well, yeah, because it makes the skin look pretty flawless, but it doesnt make you look like youre wearing foundation in a bad way (if that even makes sense). And it just looks like great skin, dare I say even somewhat airbrushed. You DO have to use a light hand though because apply too much and it won't look so pretty.

It doesn't feel heavy on the face. I was actually really surprised at how light it feels, I guess because I'm so used to "full coverage" meaning that heavy feeling on the skin. It really feels almost like I have nothing on my face.

On to the issue of oiliness - I use this with their Oily Skin Primer and it looks great all day. I put this on at around 8AM this morning, it's now 10:50PM, still lookin' good. A little sheen, but more of a..."skin" sheen rather than an oily sheen if you know what I mean. Doesn't look oily, just looks like natural skin, and the texture has stayed mostly the same as well.

After I take it off my skin still looks good, too. It doesn't look like it's been suffocating all day under a mask.

I also don't notice a smell with it when sticking my nose into the baggie.
-----------------------
If you got through this entire review, thanks for reading. I'm just so in love with this I can't help but ramble a little. After my full size jar comes, I plan on just tossing out my old foundations because I really have no desire to try anything else now. Not even a brand advertising a foundation using Tom Hanks riding a 3-headed camel with dragon wings into the sunset with wild promises of perfection could snag me in to try something.

I'll be uploading some photos tomorrow sometime of swatches, how it looks on the skin after applying, and also how it looks after most of the day.
-------------------------------
UPDATE 12/17/14

Still in love. Actually, I'm even more in love now. Previously I had gotten a full size of Inquisitive Manx, but I've since switched to Inquisitive Siamese (thank you, Black Friday sales!) Manx still works, and I can definitely mix it with Siamese, but Siamese is the absolute, 100%, completely matches shade for me. And also with their Black Friday sales I got their Jumbo Buffer brush, which applies it even more beautifully than any brush I was using before. This is going to be my foundation for life! I honestly haven't bought or tried another foundation at all since getting my first samples of Meow.

Worst online company I have had to deal with EVER!
Placed a large order on this website. They sent me the order after 3 weeks of waiting. One of the items I ordered was defective and not as described. I let them know sent them 4 emails and heard back from them about 2 weeks later. Their response was that they couldn't care less. They told me that they couldn't accept the item back. Thankfully I paid with PayPal. Filed a dispute and PayPal helped me get my money back and get the defective item back to them. I got an email from them telling me they are going to send me to collections now which is ridiculous and that they are going to cancel any future or present orders from me, my IP address or my mailing address as they don't want to sell anymore products to me because of this. Well they don't have to worry I won't ever be purchasing any products from them ever again or let alone recommend them. I don't usually tend to leave reviews, but I just had to write this because I wish I would have know how little this company cares about their customers and how bad their customer support is. Please beware and stay away! Trust me their are far better companies out there with better makeup/beauty products that actually care for their customers.

on 4/6/2017 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't know why it is, but I had the *hardest* time trying to find information for a shade that would match me. I searched high and low on the interwebs and read pretty much every review here, there and everywhere before making my decision and it just seemed that since others didn't easily find a match either, they just refused to say anything about their Meow shade vs their MAC shade so that everyone would have to go through the same nightmare. Ok, I'm being dramatic. There might not even be a hint of truth to that... But it was super hard to get info, even on the Meow messageboards (back in the day they were active). Currently the messageboard is inactive but word is you can still get some info on their Facebook page. I haven't tried but have at 'er.

My first attempt was way too dark. I got 5 - Slinky Abyssinian. Doh!! I was stubborn and didn't want to spend the $ on samples, cuz, well.. I'm stubborn. Either way I was probably out the same amount of $. I assumed that the online swatches were probably skewed and that since minerals often look darker than they apply, went darker than I should have. Lesson learned. Now I have a HUGE jar of... eyeshadow. Or contour. I'm stubborn so I'll find a use for it at some point. My next order was more successful. I went up (ilghter) a few shades and got 3 - Naughty Abyssinian and although it looks weirdly darker and more olivey than my usual mineral foundation (a mix of shades from theconservatorie.com which is sadly fell off the grid), it's amazingly similar when applied to my skin. It's a hair less peachy/pink but otherwise very close. Matches me purrrdy good. I can sometimes have a bit of redness so the yellow/olive tone seems to cancel that out. Even though I got the Flawless Feline, I don't find this to feel like a heavy coverage. It's nicely buildable and not cakey at all. I'm normal/combo and have a preference for matte, so I like that this keeps me pretty much shine free for most of the day. I might touch up once mid-day but that's it. I use a flat top kabuki whose name has sadly rubbed off, or it's a no name one from theconservatorie.com - see above - off the grid. Pity...

I'd actually bought this a few years ago, but when I got it and saw the shade in person, I assumed it was too yellowy/grey/green to work and put it with my other unloved things that I couldn't bear to toss just yet (because it might work with something else should I have a 'mad scientist' day). Recently I was digging through my stash - gotta shop that stash - pulled it out and gave it a go, and good thing too. I am also considering trying a sample of Manx. Even though Naughty Abyssinian is *so* close, Manx has a bit more peach to it and mixing the two might be near nirvana. I'm stubborn...and a perfectionist... and there are a few eye shadows I'm eyeing anyways. For the record, I've also tried a sample of 4-Fierce Chartreaux but that one was both too dark and too pink. (Whoo, more eyeshadow!)
So use my disappointments to your advantage. If you're in the range of NC30-35ish, give Naughty Abyssinian a shot, or at least try a sample. Unless you're open to a huge jar of eye shadow.

Pardon me now while I get to work on my collection of Slinky Abyssinian eye shadows. I'll call them "Res-purrection from the Abyss".. or "Abysmal Failure to Fur-tune". Abysseeing you later...

on 3/23/2015 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've been a long time user of Meow's Purrfect Puss foundation but lately I've been searching for a full coverage foundation and decided to try Flawless Feline. OMG, this is the BEST! I ordered the same shade I was in PP and it was perfect. I apply it with the elf powder brush and I get the full coverage I need. I don't even need a separate concealer. I couldn't believe the quick full coverage I got by this one product plus it gives a natural flawless finish. Doesn't look cakey, shiney or accentuates my large pores. I love it!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've been an Everyday Minerals (EDM) customer for years. After I ran out of my last full size (about 6 months ago), I've been trying dozens of other foundations to find the *perfect* one. I tried a bunch of liquid foundations, which look and smell like paint to me now. I like the applications and the ingredients of mineral foundations. Somehow I found out about Meow Cosmetics and decided to give it a shot. I can't help but compare Meow to EDM in this review.

Everyone talks about the cheap $1 samples, but you need a minimum order of $10 and they charge you $4.35 for shipping. That means you are paying $14.35 for SAMPLES. Compare that to EDM which charges you nothing for the samples and $2-3 for shipping.

I used Meow's color help service and they suggested Siamese, Abyssinian, and Korat in the 0 and 1 depth. I skipped over the 0 depth entirely and managed to get 1 depth ("Sleek") in Siamese, Abyssinian, and Korat, plus 2 depth ("Frisky") Korat from somone in a swap. I wasn't even able to assess Abyssinian becasue it was so light, almost white. It would have looked ghoastly. Korat seems to be a decent match, but I'm between Sleek and Frisky in depth. I'm not willing to buy 2 right now, so I ordered a full size of Frisky Korat in the Pampered forumla and hope for the best! I placed my order 10 days ago and I haven't received it yet, nor have I gotten confirmation of shipping. I realize that I purchased it during a sale but I think it's not unreasonable to expect to get the things you ordered within a week. I've since run out of my Korat samples and went on to Siamese while I wait, and I'm surprised how nice it looks as a full application. Many people are saying that if you want Flawless you need an exact match. I think even with Flawless, there are probably a few matches which would look good on you. Siamese seems to be the one that gets recommended to everyone to at least try.

I find that the Flawless formula is not very heavy, but kind of a medium coverage. It seems to disappear into my skin, which makes me feel that this is more of a powder than a foundation.

I took a photo of myself with EDM and it looked very obvious on my skin, thick, powdery, and a bit yellow. In general, EDM has an awful color selection (although they did introduce a new color organization scheme yesterday) - disorganized, extreme colors (some were very pink, extremely yellow, or gray). Meow organizes the colors in a way that makes sense and offers 86 colors in 3 formulas, plus pure white in case you need it. After I compared it to a photo of myself wearing Meow, I decided to go with Meow. It looked very natural on my skin (BUT it doesn't seem to cover as much either).

The things I prefer about EDM: the website, fast shipping, the price of samples
The things I prefer about Meow: the number of colors, true color matches, and the finish.
If only these two companies could merge and combine the best of both worlds...!

Meow also does not have a return policy, which troubles me. I have never EVER returned a cosmetic for any reason. If I don't like it, I live with it. But the fact that they don't even have that option is strange. Slow, slow processing time. Excessively priced samples. And a website which could do with some modernization and a professional graphic designer. Nevertheless, this seems to be a quality product, with skin-friendly ingredients, a large color selection, and reasonably priced for full-sized products. I could see myself becoming a regular customer.

on 2/6/2012 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

After realizing my beloved Chanel foundation and primer were the cause of my breakouts, I began the switch to mineral foundations. I heard good things about Meow, and I wish I tried them sooner! As I have acne scarring/pitting from my teenage years I needed something with full coverage, so I passed on Purrfect Puss. Pampered Puss is nice, but I needed to build it up to get the coverage I needed and it didn't control oil at all despite using the oily primer and Top Cat finishing powder with it. Flawless Feline is *perfect* for my needs, giving full coverage yet a natural look in one thin layer. Used together with Meow's oily primer and Top Cat finishing powder my face is flawless yet natural-looking all day long. When I *do* get oily my face is dewy, not shiny. I spritz my kabuki with rosewater during application and spritz my face when done, which is probably why I'm not getting the dry, cakey look others have mentioned. I also use a HA serum and camellia oil for my moisturizer, so I imagine that if your face were bone-dry FF may not work for you. There *is* a bit of tightness when first applied (probably from the kaolin clay) but this dissipates quickly. I did have to take a lippy off as there's a major leap between Meow's medium and medium-deep shades (the 3-5 range).

On another note, I'm unsure as to why this foundation is getting such a low rating. I can understand any allergic reactions and drying effects, but those complaining about the color matching and shipping IMO need to chill and be patient. Meow is a small indie company, not a huge international conglomerate like MAC. If you want instant gratification, this isn't where you should be looking. If you want to support a small company with great products and value for the cost, you can't get much better than Meow. As for the color matching, it's easy to figure out if you're willing to be patient, do your research, and ask for help.

EDIT 5/9/12: Had to knock another lippy off and change my re-buy status to "no". My skin's gotten a lot better so I don't need as much coverage, and with the weather getting warmer FF was making my face itch and sting like crazy. Switched to Pampered Puss and I'm perfectly happy. I did find a perfect match in PP without mixing, Slinky Manx.

My HG!!!!!!!!!!
Perfect coverage and buildable if needed. I've tried almost every mineral foundation and Meow makes the best for me. I do not get breakouts and it last all day. I will say it is best to use this with the Meow primer and top cat. You will get a better application and more oil control. I did have a small problem finding the right color but I found Meow colors to be very forgiving so I am able to wear a few of their shades. I have a very neutral skin tone with a bit of pink but otherwise a mix of beige,pink&peach if that helps anyone. My best match is the Siamese.
I get the best application using Smashbox #19 brush. I've not tried this foundation with any other brush as the #19 works like a dream. Meow does not hide my pores but it also does not make them more visible like other mineral foundations. I love that Meow has 3 oz jars because I don't have to spend so much money anymore on my foundation. I can also easily mix the foundation in the cap.
You can mix this with a bit of moisturizer for a great tinted moisturizer with coverage.

I did try Purrfect Puss and really liked it but I am not ready for such light coverage. It has doesn't seem to control my oil as much as Flawless Feline.

on 2/27/2017 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i'm an oily-skinned 30-something who's tried for years to find a perfect powder foundation, but there's a trifecta of issues i encounter: color-matching (pale yellow is always too yellow or peachy, pale neutrals are too peachy or pink, and pale cools are WAY too pink), acne (living that "everything is a breakout trigger" life), and oxidization (SO ORANGE. ORANGE FOREVER).

after a couple weeks of flawless feline, i'm 92% sure i've found my endgame powder. admittedly, winter is the least challenging season for foundations and summer is going to be the real gauntlet, but considering its biggest flaw right now is that it's TOO good at oil control, i have a feeling it's going to handle the heat gracefully.

pros:

- color match! meow cosmetics offers something like 13 different undertones, with 4-7 shades per undertone. if you're a difficult undertone match in mainstream foundation lines, chances are good you're likely to at least come close to a good match here. i found my match in korat, a neutral beige without any hint of pink or peachiness, with a bit of extra yellow, something i've never been able to find anywhere else.

- no oxidization! normally most foundations go orange on me; some will be stopped by primer, but a lot won't. with this, i don't even have to prep or prime, it just straight up doesn't oxidize no matter how long i leave it on. no more uncomfortable orange face!

- oil control! honestly, i feel a little TOO dry at the end of the day. where i might be shiny in 6 hours with a normal powder, i'm just at the "healthy glow" stage around the 10 hour mark with meow.

- the finish, especially over a thin layer of liquid foundation, is amazing. i've been using it as a setting powder over one pump of revlon colorstay, and it's the first time i've been able to achieve actual full coverage without looking cakey or like i'm wearing a papier mache mask.

neutral:

- the packaging is really inelegant, but that's sort of expected when you're shopping with an indie company who can't afford to do a 100,000 piece run of bespoke glass jars. you're paying a little more than drugstore price for packaging that's a little worse, but keep in mind you're ALSO paying a little more than drugstore price for a product that competes with mid/high-end. if you're really concerned about aesthetics, depot into your favorite container and pretend it just came that way the whole time.

- i can think of a lot of more descriptive but less kind words to use for the website, so for the sake of the review, i'll go with "hot mess." the website is a hot mess. again, i totally understand why an indie would be hesitant to take down a site that functions without issues and lose money in the time it takes to switch to a newer, prettier platform, but it is a pain to navigate.

- my sample order arrived within a few days, but it took about a week for them to ship out my second order containing a munchkin size of korat plus some blush and highlighter samples. this is pretty much par for the course when you shop with indies (i've had to wait a month with some companies), but if you've never shopped indie before, you're going to get agitated. this ain't no amazon prime. meow cosmetics clearly states their turnaround time on their customer service page, and i found my orders took less time to get to me than the stated TAT both times.

cons:

- very slightly itchy if you use it on your bare skin. it doesn't cause me physical skin irritation and the sensation goes away pretty quickly, but if you're sensitive to face-feels or tend to develop rashes from irritation, you might want to stay away. however, i've had zero problems or itchiness just using it as a setting powder over liquid, so keep that in mind.

- if you're as blemishy and blotchy and unevenly skintoned as me, you know that any powder foundation that advertises as full coverage is going to be light-medium at absolute best. it's the same thing here: if you use this powder on its own and you want full coverage, you're going to have to layer it multiple tones, which is going to start to look noticeably powder after two layers. if you're looking for medium coverage, you're good to go, but if you're buying full coverage for actual full coverage, you're going to want to layer this over your liquid.

caveats:

- ORDER SAMPLES. order samples if you aren't already matched to a meow color and order samples if you aren't sure of your coverage. color matches do NOT carry over to other coverages, so if you're a perfect 5 mau in full coverage and decide you want to switch, you are going to be SOL if you order a full size jar of 5 mau in light coverage and discover it doesn't match. they don't take returns and they aren't as willing to bend over backwards like other indies, so don't expect to get your money back if you order a mismatch and sheepishly ask for a refund.

- this goes double for darker skinned women! meow tends to jump shades for darker skintones, so order a sample in the shade you think you are, plus one step lighter and one step darker. you may very well have to mix shades in order to get the right color for you.

on 6/7/2012 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

this is a frickin' quality product right here!!! the whole cat-theme is a little tacky, but the product speaks for itself: no micronized or nanosized particles, or bismuth oxychloride (all of which can cause cystic acne). that was the reason i bought it. but on top of that there are no preservatives/parabens, no fillers, no silica, and they don't test on animals.

AND it's one of the LEAST EXPENSIVE mineral make-up lines i've come across.

tonnes of colours to choose from, but as with any mineral makeup if you don't have the right shade it can look chalky. great coverage, but i find that for my acne scars i still need concealer (not for redness or under my eyes though).

i forgot my meow foundation at home when i came to another city for the summer, and i've given up on finding something i like as much as this. nothing comes close.

please support this amazing small business, these women really know what they're doing.

Seeing such a low rating really surprises me on this one, so I had to stick in my 2 cents. I will start by saying I used to wear Bare Minerals, but after a couple of years I discovered I was breaking out in hives from the bismuth. I went through a glut of mineral makeups, and I landed on Aromaleigh. When they went out of business, someone suggested Meow. once I got the right shade I have been a happy camper and have turned my friends on to it as well. I have extremely sensitive skin and need full coverage...this stuff delivers! When I recently ran out I tried yet another foundation at the drug store, and proved to myself again that Meow has it down. Shipping for me has only been a few days. I ordered on a Wednesday and got it on the following Tuesday (Monday was a holiday). As for colors, you have to get samples. Small price to pay for such a great product at such a good price.

One final word, I don't think a lot of people realize how irritating bismuth is, and some think they can't wear mineral makeup when in fact it may be a sensitivity to bismuth. Meow has no bismuth, and I think they should proclaim that boldly. I had to do a lot of research and finally an email to know for sure. I'm not sure why so many high end cosmetics use bismuth, but I suspect it has to do with coverage. Few mineral makeups without it have a nice coverage, but Meow does!