Kate Somerville Exfolikate

3.8

Water, Lactic Acid, Polyethylene, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Pectin, Carica Papaya Fruit, Lactobacillus/Cucurbita Pepo Fruit, Ferment Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Papain, Bromelain, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Mel, Acetic Acid, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Pogostemon Cablin Oil, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Salicylic Acid, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cinnamal, Potassium Sorbate, Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Cinnamal, Eugenol, Benzyl Benzoate, Beta-Carotene (CI 75130), Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex (CI 75810). 6/26/09

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got a one-use sample of this with a recent Sephora order and for some reason I was so nervous to try it out -- would it melt my skin off?! This was a pretty ridiculous fear because my skin is very tough and no stranger to chemical exfoliation, but STILL. Anyway, I tried it recently before bed, and of course, it didn't melt my face off. What it did was make it smooth, soft, and a little bit red (but all exfoliants do that, yeah?). The product itself is a green paste with what I think are microbeads in it (didn't the US outlaw these? Hmmm!), and you scrub it around your face and then leave for 1-2 minutes to let the fruit acids do their thang. I was happy with the result from one use of this product, but I won't buy it again. I currently use a lot of chemical exfoliation on my skin (Murad Age Reform cleanser and Alpha Hydrox 10% lotion), and at the exorbitant price of this product (the most miniscule size is $24 and the 2-oz is $85!), I'm sure I can live without Exfolikate in my routine. Pssst...if you want a decent chemical exfoliation treatment at a more reasonable price, I definitely recommend both the Peter Thomas Roth pumpkin mask and the Andalou Naturals pumpkin mask.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This was awful. I couldn't bear to keep it on as long as recommended, and even rinsing it off after 30 seconds left my skin irritated. I do have dry, sensitive skin, but frankly I can't imagine most people would tolerate this well - in addition to plastic microbeads that are harsh (and terrible for the environment), it is full of irritating ingredients (which, admittedly, do make it smell good in a wintry spice tea sort of way) that have no business on anyone's facial skin.

I had a terrible reaction to this product...left on for 1 minute and my skin turned beet red and was inflamed for a couple of days....also left my skin tight and dry. This product has a lot of alcohol and phenoethaynol which is just as bad as parabens if not worse...not sure why it reacted but in to the garbage it went. Received it in my fab fit fun box...I use acids all the time with a professional skin care line and do not react this way. Garbage.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have very sensitive and dry skin so I have been struggling since fall began with dry patches and redness. I was using another exfoliating product that wasn't really helping me much, unfortunately. I gave up on exfoliating and just began focusing on moisturizing like crazy which helped a bit, but I was still stuck with flaky patches, especially on my forehead and cheeks.

Initially, I was worried about using something new because of my sensitive skin but it was a success! I can honestly say my skin has never looked so good and fresh with any other product. There is a tingling/hot feeling that happens when you are using the product but once you rinse, it goes away. The exfoliating beads are very tiny which I like better compared to rough exfoliating products I have used in the past. I have used this in and out of the shower and I think that using it in the shower, after your face has had some time to soften and steam will get you the best results.

The price is a big high, but I believe it's worth it. Because of the high price, I use this sparingly and only when my skin gets very dry and flaky.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I received this item in my fabfitfun winter box. I love exfoliating products for my face. The first time I tried this product my face was on fire. I followed all the instructions. I put a thin coat on and rubbed it in for 30 seconds and left on for 1 minute as I couldn't take the burning any longer. My face was bright red and extremely sore and tender. It took almost a week for my face to heal I had what looked like chemical burns to my face. I waited about 2 weeks and tried again only leaving product on my face for about 45 seconds after I had rubbed product in for 30 seconds. I had welts and burns on my face yet again. I will never use this product again. I did notice that my skin looked tighter and brighter after I used this product. However burns and welts that last several days are not worth it. I would not recommend this product to anyone.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Very effective at removing dead skin but a little irritating if you don't have oily skin. I've been using this regularly and am no longer getting frequent breakouts. I suggest the sensitive skin version if you have dry skin

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

For s long time this was the exfoliation product I used. I'm currently using up the last bottle of it and I won't be repurchasing. I've realized there are way better products out there that don't irritate my skin. After using this the next day my face is red and irritated. I went to using a Terry cloth to exfoliate my face and saw way less redness and irritation. It has a very strong herbal/savory smell that isn't too nice. It does exfoliate but it irritates too much. And I don't have sensitive skin at all.mthere are way better products out there especially if your willing to spend the same amount as this costs. The Ordinary makes a good daily lactic Acid for 5$. And lactic Acid is one of the exfoliating ingredients in this. I find that one doesn't irritate nearly as bad. They also offer a weekly more intensive exfoliation mask that I'm going to try when I'm done with the Exfolikate.

overall this is a solid product.
it is relatively expensive but lasts a ridiculously long time, it does a good job of getting rid of flakyness and exfoliation of the skin, it has a pleasant but not over powering scent and works well on sensitive, dry and acne prone skin.

this is an okay product but it contains microbeads which are absolutely terrible for the ocean. So for that reason alone I will not be repurchasing.

Beauty should not come at such a huge environmental cost.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I think this product may be overhyped. I didn't see any changes after using & it made my face itchy.