4.1

package quality

price range

Reviews

a year ago

For however cute the tin is or the product is, to have to fight with the packaging every time I want to use it is ridiculous. Forget quickly grabbing out of my pocket to apply it. I just spent 5 minutes with pliers opening it, and I've tried to make the cap wider. I had one years ago that was fine. So maybe like most products, the quality has becomes degraded in quality over the years. I like the product, but If I can't use it easily, what's the point. That Being Said, I added a couple drops of Red Food Coloring, and it made it more rosy, and very nice on...

About reviewer (3 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

EyesBlue

2 years ago

This is just vaseline with some softening oil and a little perfume in it. You'd be better off with the vaseline, in my opinion. Essential oils are irritating and I don't need them on my face. There is one good thing about this lip balm though and that's the ever so subtle red tint -- eat your heart out, Glossier. I've tried all three popular Smith's balms and this is how I rank them against each other: 1. Strawberry: unnoticeable color, tolerable scent, best/firmest texture, best formula by a mile thanks to lanolin and beeswax. Love it. 2. Original/Rosebud: unnoticeable color, worst scent, runny texture, mediocre formula. Eh. 3. Minted rose: good color BUT bad scent, runny texture and worst formula.

About reviewer (86 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

2 years ago

I have always suffered from extreme dry lips, so I am always on the hunt for a really good lip balm. This one seems to fit the bill pretty nicely. I always have is on hand, I especially like it at night. It seems to keep my lips pretty hydrated, without feeling greasy. I apply to my lips and any excess I apply to my cuticles. This is a good value and something that I always have at my desk, in my purse and in my night stand. I have recently purchased the tube and works just the same. Will continue to use and have repurchased quite often.

About reviewer (90 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinOily, Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

3 years ago

The mint flavor can be cool and refreshing at times but I prefer the regular rosebud salve. The balm melts easily in warm weather and can make it difficult to open the tin. Left it in a warm car during summer in NY and melted onto the inside of my bag. The product is pretty great, but the packaging is lacking. It is ideal to keep at home, but not to travel with.

About reviewer (11 reviews)

SkinCombination, Dark, Warm

HairBrunette, Relaxed, Medium

from

3 years ago

I prefer Nivea lip butter in any flavor to this. This migrates more and feels and looks more like Vaseline. I have deeply pigmented lips and prefer the way the Nivea tones them down a bit (slight white cast when you overapply). Although I like rose and mint, I am on the fence as to the combination. My DH is not a fan of the minted rose combo. I don't mind a pot formulation, but I keep them at home.

About reviewer (517 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

2.0

3 years ago

Review of Smith’s Minted Rose lip Balm The Smith’s Rosebud balm has been around for a hundred years and is often photographed in those celebrity “what’s-in-your-purse” features in magazines, therefore I had to see what all the fuss is about and find out if it would help my perma-chapped lips situation. I went for the “Minted Rose” flavor which promises a slight tingle from the mint. Problem #1: Am I the only person who can’t stand this tin packaging?! I can’t get the thing open to save my life. The outside gets a smidge greasy from the product and then forget it – you will never again be able to open this easily. So OK once I have used the jaws of life and managed to pry the lid off, do I even like the product inside? Problem 2: It is definitely nothing special and does nothing great for my chronically dry lips. The balm is thin in texture so it doesn’t condition my lips or last longer than 30 minutes once applied. It looks slightly pink in the tin but goes on completely clear. If I’m going for a rose-scented balm, I much prefer the By Terry Baume de Rose over this – that product is thick, rich, smells amazing, and the best part about it: I can open the jar thanks to the ingenius screw top. Of course, you pay a price for that perfection so I suppose this is the poor (wo)man’s substitute, but it’s a very poor one at that.

About reviewer (504 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinSensitive, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Curly, Fine

4 years ago

I have this product along with the original rosebud salve, and I love it just as much! It's moisturizing and gives my lips a healthy, glowing, sheer red tint. It also has a cooling effect when you apply it, which is convenient in those hot summer days. Saying that, I tend to avoid using this product during the winter time simply because of the cooling effect. Instead, I use the original. It lasts for a long time and the packaging is very cute. However, it's difficult to open, but I don't mind because it's such a good product. I will continue to repurchase when I run out.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinOily, Olive, Warm

HairBlack, Other, Medium

4 years ago

I love the product, but it's sooooo hard to open.

About reviewer (82 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOther, Fair

HairBrunette

1.0

4 years ago

This is one product I had been wanting to try. I bought it and was so disappointed. I have been using it for almost 2 months now and nothing improved. it doesnt fully moisturise my lips and I have to apply it constantly (every 30 minutes). it was a waste of alot of money. I would rather grab my blistex dct or the blistex medplus before smiths

About reviewer (4 reviews)

SkinOily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

HairBlack, Kinky, Medium

EyesOther

2.0

4 years ago

While I love the smell and feel of this lip balm, I didn't find it particularly moisturizing or medicating as Carmex or even my Dr. Pepper lip smacker. I applied this at night, and when I woke up the next morning, I couldn't tell the difference in my lips. My lips still felt a bit dry, as if none of the moisture was really sinking in. But if you want a bit of shine to layer over lip liner and/or lipstick, and something that smells really good, I think it's a fine product.

About reviewer (92 reviews)

Age36-43