Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo

Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo

3.8

Not tested on animals

New version: Aqua (purified water), sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, decyl glucoside, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoamphoacetate, lauryl glucoside, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract, *aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, *chamomilla recutita (matricaria) leaf extract, *citrus aurantium dulcis (valencia orange) extract, *citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit extract, *cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass) extract, *echinacea purpurea extract, *ginkgo biloba extract, *glycine soja (soybean) seed extract, *lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *macrocystis pyrifera (sea kelp) extract, *mangifera indica (mango) extract, *salix alba (willow bark) extract, xanthan gum, glycol distearate panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), citric acid, polysorbate 20, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, natural fragrance. Older version: Aqua (purified water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil*, Valencia Orange (citrus auantium dulcis), Mango (Mangifera Indica)*, Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Schoenanthus)*, Ginkgo Biloba*, Echinacea Angustifolia (echinacea Angustifolia)*, Willow Bark (Salix Alba)*, Sea Kelp (macrocystis pyrifera)*, Chamomile Flower (Chamomila Recruita)*, Soy textured protein*, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis), C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate (coconut derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Stearate, Dimethicone, Vegetable Glycerin, Polyquaternium 10, Olive Oil, Diazolidinyl Urea, Octyl 4-Methoxy Cinnamate (Sunscreen), Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt), Citric Acid (corn), Fragrance with Essential Oils.

on 7/27/2016 9:25:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

Did not work for me. I have bra-strap length fine hair and it was more tangled than usual in comb out. Plus it would re-tangle once combed. The scalp felt nice, but the ends felt very dry. The grapefruit scent is really minimal and goes away fast. It lathers a lot more than other SLS-free shampoos, so if you miss the lather, this might work for you.

on 3/19/2016 6:01:00 PM

This is a pretty good shampoo, but not spectacular. I have very long, mostly straight, non-porous, untreated hair with a slight wave and no real problems. I got a bottle of this because I was having problems with frizz and static and tangling this past winter. I was hoping a more moisturizing shampoo would help, especially since my gym routine had me washing my hair more often than usual.

This is less stripping than most shampoos, but it's not exactly moisturizing either. My hair still feels a little 'too' clean after I use this. I have to compensate with a really rich conditioner or my hair will be a frizzy mess afterwards.

I like the looks of the tall pump bottle, but I'm afraid it's going to be a pain to use up once I get towards the end of the product. I snagged this from TJ Maxx for around $12 so I'm pretty happy with the price. I might purchase again, though I will probably try something else before doing that.

To Read all 107 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/8/2016 11:23:00 PM

DO NOT I repeat do not use this shampoo especially if you have natural curly/kinky hair, it will damage your hair and make it so dry and brittle that it'll just break off. This shampoo caused me a major set back I had to cut 2 inches off my hair because it was in such bad condition after using this shampoo. Do keep in my that you have to use a product for an extended amount of time before you can actually see what its doing to you hair. I used this shampoo for 7 weeks so I used it long enough to see the effects of it. This shampoo contains sulfates and some other harmful ingredients, it also irritates the scalp really bad and makes the scalp dry. It caused bumps in my scalp and I immediately threw away the second bottle I bought. If you want healthy hair do not use this.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Finally, quality ingredients, no harmful ingredients, vegan, cruelty free - cleans my hair, no irritation, doesn't result in an oily scalp shortly after - just as good as a regular high end shampoo.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I bought the regular 8.5oz shampoo and conditioner set at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I noted that in the 8.5oz shampoo version it looks pastel yellow and its very creamy and leaves my hair really shiny, smooth and hydrated. As soon as I applied it to my wet hair it began a creamy lather and hair felt smooth in an instant.
When I bought the liter version of this shampoo it was very white like conditioner. I noticed in the liter version it was not as hydrating and left my hair a bit frizzy. I felt i needed to use more shampoo to get my hair feeling silky.
Not sure why the 8.5oz version is very different from the liter size version. I checked on both bottles and the ingredients are the same so I am not sure why they performed differently and have very different colors. I searched online, but can't find anything on that. I think I'll message Giovanni company. I think that I would not buy this in the liter version, but in the pastel yellow 8.5 oz.
I will see if I can post a picture of the two bottles so you can see the difference.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This shampoo is so good! It smells quite nice - sort of like orange juice. Within one wash my hair was definitely more moisturised, soft, shiny and had less frizz. After using about half the bottle the results on my hair are getting better each wash! I have been looking for sulfate free, moisturising shampoos for a long time and this is by far the most hydrating one. The only issue with this shampoo is that my hair will sometimes get oily quicker. To fix this I usually rotate it with another shampoo and only apply my conditioner to the mid-lengths and ends of my hair. This is an amazing shampoo and I will definitely be repurchasing!

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I have purchased this shampoo a few times at iherb. Good price, lightly scented of oranges, with a decent amount of lather. It's become a fall back staple to me, for a line that I know works with my fine, curly hair and doesn't dry my strands out.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I will preface this by saying my hair doesn't like protein. So I am gonna assume it's the protein in this shampoo that has totally destroyed my hair!!! My hair has never been worse. I thought it would be moisturizing but instead it dries out my hair and leaves it brittle and tangled. I tried it a few times and have had the worse hair days of my life. I am not exaggerating, I threw out the bottle in the trash!

on 6/27/2014 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I like this shampoo because it leaves my hair soft (when it dries) with a healthy shine. It lathers easily and there is no need to use large amounts of the product. I love that it is more safe than the chemical based and more popular shampoos. It is a bit pricey but compared to other organic hair products it is actually quite affordable.

Update: I was researching online the chemicals on this shampoo and found out the the ingredient " Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate" has mixed reactions. Some places that provide chemical of the day or month say it has similar risks as "Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate." While other articles say it is fine. Hmm I am not sure which one is correct.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this after I fell in love with Giovanni's Frizz Be Gone. At first I enjoyed this shampoo, but then I realized it dried my hair out. It smells nice, and has a good lather. It's not too expensive, but it's not for me.

Popular Shampoos