Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler

Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler

4.2

:P

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

As of around mid-2015 (when my DH gifted one to me) I have owned this curler as well as an older Revlon lash curler. I read all of the hype about the Shu curler and thought, I have to have this. As I have grown older, I've noticed what a big positive difference it can make in how awake I look, if I curl my lashes before applying my mascara.

It's okay. I notice people here talking about changes to the manufacture. Maybe that is the case, i don't know. However, I honestly don't see any difference between this and my old Revlon curler. I never noticed problems around my eye shape and the old curler, and I don't have problems with the Shu. I received a replacement pad with each of them, and the pads seem to be long-lasting. I do rinse in hot water every month or so. Possibly the use of the curler BEFORE applying mascara helps avoid a lot of mascara gunk messing up the pads and the curler.

I like this fine, I just am not sure anyone should feel pressed to replace a perfectly good, less pricey one, with this curler.

on 6/22/2017 7:17:00 PM

I know most of you will scream "gross!!!," but I after 14 years I have never changed the pad. And it still works beautifully. Slim design, perfect curve. Score!

Yes, I dose it with alcohol from time to time. Not often.

I use it before and after mascara application, with a blow drier when I am motivated, and it always works well.

Am not a germophobe. If you're not either, my usage might appeal to you.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Mine came with a replacement pack of pads made for shiseido curlers but this was eBay after all & I bought an extra pack just in case. I have MAC, shiseido, Shu & ELF I like MAC's best but I lost the replacement pad unfortunately so it's toast when that wears out. I like having replacement pads :-) that alone would sway me to buy Shu or shiseido although I've never wore out a pad. The eye lash curler is the push up bra of the MU world: nothing so simple short of lipstick can change your look! Shu fits my eye well, it's effective I spent $20 on mine. I admit the ELF one works pretty good thou!

on 3/4/2017 6:37:00 PM

I have used this curler for many, many years. Last time I needed replacement pads I did a LOT of checking, and it seemed that the consensus of research is that the curler itself USED to be the Gold Standard, but then in recent years has been manufactured differently and is not the same quality that it was before.
Today I am searching for replacement pads, because I bought about 10 packages of ELF pads that FIT the Shu Uemura curler -- but they don't last long. ...
Still, my daughter is big into makeup and LOVES using my Shu curler --- so I suspect that some of the recent bad reviews some from whatever "new" manufacturer is used.
I'm STILL very happy with mine, and will just be trying to find pads that fit it until ....

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

***Cries*** I have long, dark, full lashes. EXCEPT they are straight. I've tried lots of different mascaras. I finally shelled out the $$ for this curler since it seems to have cult like HG status. It was pure meh! I think my tweezerman curler does better than this. I'm going to return mine. It is completely not worth the cost.

FYI, I bought mine from shu site. It came with 1 extra pad.

on 4/23/2017 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have used these -the same ones -- for at least 15 years, probably longer. I have one for each bathroom and one for my travel bag. They fit all the lashes easily (perfect curvature) and don't pinch. I curl before and after applying mascara and wipe the pads off after each use. if there is a lot of mascara residue transfer, I use an almay non oily eye make up remover pads or a bit of bliss lid and lash on it. Probably other companies today make less expensive ones that are good. But, these work for me, even on days when I don't wear mascara, and I have sparse, thin, stubby Asian lashes. By the way, the pads last forever if you keep them clean. I have back up pads (shu eumura used to sell them, but I guess from reviews that this is no longer the case).

Note: I have been using castor oil on lashes to little (growth) effect. But. I recently applied on curled lashes (mainly because I was concerned that the oil not increase the possibility of milia on the lower lash line, but since CO is low on comedonic scale, I probably have more to worry about with eye liner). They stayed curled for over ten hours. !!!!! When I woke up, they weren't stick straight or pointed downwards (as per usual). Might be a nice option for bare faced weekend days.

on 3/1/2017 7:28:00 PM

Finally got this highly coveted device only to be very disappointed. I've heard it conforms to your eye better... Personally I have more issues with this thing pinching me than practically any other curler I have... It's not terrible once you get used to it but it's nothing special for me. I definitely will not repurchase this whenever I need to. The one thing I will give it is that it's pretty sturdy. It definitely feels better made than a lot of the other curlers I've tried.

on 12/7/2016 7:00:00 PM

I'm disappointed. It's an okay eyelash curler, lashes are curled and look quite natural, the curl also seems to stay all day (could be the mascara though)...but I can get the same result with a cheaper curler. I don't know what eye shape this curler is meant for, but my eyes are quite deepset and on the small side, kind of like sandra bullock or jennifer lawrence. My lashes are average...abit sparse but long with a slight natural curl. I feel like a more rounded shape would fit my lashline better. With this curler, I need to go back in to my inner lashes to catch the hairs there. It's not a big deal, it's just that for the price I paid I was expecting perfection. I paid about us$35 for it in my country, it's insane, it's not even worth one third of that amount. Maybe if I had paid 10 bucks for it I'd be happier with this product. I'll keep it and use it since I can't return it. I just really wish I had saved my money and gone for something way cheaper.

on 10/19/2016 3:14:00 AM

I don't know what witchcraft Shu Uemura have put into this product, but this really gives my lashes and amazing lift and curl.

I have short, straight lashes and have been curling them for years. I purchased this curler about 2 months ago and cannot believe the difference it makes- I've even kept going back to my old ones to check I'm not imagining the difference.

The first day I used it, a lady at work asked what my new mascara was because they looked so much longer, she did not believe me when I told her that it was the same mascara but different eyelash curlers!

The curl lasts all day long (previous curlers lasted maybe 20mins tops) and is easy to make even. I don't even have to heat this one with my hairdryer like I did with the old ones!

This was supposed to be the holy grail of eyelash curlers but was meh, especially for the price. $25 on Amazon with no replacement pads. My lashes are fairly short and trend downwards. Sighs.
For the price I expected a miracle but like Joe Fresh and Revlon curlers that I tried and tossed, this still leaves much to be desired. The right eye works great, curls doesn't pinch but the left? I just can't get in there to catch any lashes without pinching. I don't know what it is about my eye shape or deep set eyes that makes curling my lashes on one eye, next to impossible.
There you have it. My eyes are shaped wrong for this thing. It's too bad because I like how strong the metal feels not like the flimsy plastic of the Joe Fresh curler I broke.
I'm going to try the shisheido next

Popular Misc Beauty Tools