trilogy Rosehip Oil

trilogy Rosehip Oil

4.3

Certified organic rosehip oil (New Zealand)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Warning: Not all Rosehip Oils are equal! Having tried perhaps from a dozen brands in the past, I've noticed a recurring theme...the darker the color and richer the aroma, the better the efficacy of the Rosehip oil (hereafter referred to as RHO). This directly translates into results. Example: the lightest ones I used would take over a month to clear a blemish left by acne whereas the darkest I used could achieve the same within half the time! Trilogy's falls somewhere in the middle. It's a light yellow to orange and comes in a protective brown glass bottle with a handy dropper. One or two drops of this each night as the last part of my routine and I'm all set. Simple and easy.

BUT there are a couple of things I really need to point out as it seems many folks are not aware:

Firstly, you need to use sun protection during the day if you use RHO on a night. This is because it contains a high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids which can easily oxidize, although that doesn't mean the oil is phototoxic (it isn't). More importantly it is naturally very high in Vitamin A (which is what Retinol is derived from) and you wouldn't skip SPF if using Retinol right? Same thing applies here.

Secondly, I don't really believe RHO should be used during the daytime at all, the same way you wouldn't use a retinol product during the day. Sure the directions state you should use twice a day (and forget to mention following with SPF) but it's fairly easy to understand why a business would want you to use their product twice a day instead of just once! Imo it's just not required. For daytime simply stick to a good SPF, preferably over a moisturizer or serum rich in antioxidants - Vitamin C, E, Ferulic Acid, Green Tea, Lycopene, Niacinamide etc, all of which serve an actual function - to help counteract UV and environmental damage throughout the day. RHO just won't do that!

Rosehip Oil is definitely one of the most effective natural carrier oils one could apply to their skin, but as with everything, there are things to be aware of and to take into consideration before you do.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled many 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 5/6/2018 9:05:00 AM

This made me breakout with tiny little bumps near my nose on my cheeks (I don't normally breakout anywhere near my cheeks). It seems to sit on my skin without really absorbing, but the bottle lasts ages and it's pretty cheap on sale.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I use facial oils daily and have been doing so for at least 15 years. There are many I love and that work for my sensitive, combo, break out prone skin. This oil did not work for me at all. I was very surprised as I had hear even Princess Kate uses it! 😂 I found it did not apply nicely/smoothly, didn’t absorb into my skin it rather mostly sat atop my skin, felt like it left an almost gritty film on the skin surface, and didn’t hydrate as well as I was hoping it would. Worst of all, it causes me tiny bumps and some tiny pimples on my cheeks (my tupically non problematic area of my face). I also noticed seriously dry skin on my cheeks - even to the point of peeling/flaking. I suspect the peeling is from this oil though i’m not entirely certain. The bottle and dropper are super and I love the price and that it’s organic. It just did not work for me. This is the first Rosehip Oil I have tried, so I may try others yet.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Excellent product. I apply this at night, and I wake up with soft skin. Does not clog pores or cause acne, I actually find it helps to reduce the size of pimples. Also helps to prevent scarring and get rid of recent scars. Unfortunately it doesn’t get rid of my old scars but I wouldn’t expect it to

on 11/18/2017 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

on 8/6/2017 8:42:00 AM

I have hormonal acne from coming off the pill and my nose and chin oil went crazy. I thought I should dry my skin and soak up the oil but it made it worse. I know it seems counterintuitive but fighting oil with oil works. My skin in hydrated and healthy and my sebum producing glands are no longer in overdrive. It hasn't cleared it completely, not yet. One week in and I'm really seeing the difference though and I'm glad I was recommended to buy this. It's so affordable it's worth a try.

on 6/13/2017 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

a great product to have for my dry skin, on my 3rd bottle, and will re-purchase =)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HG moisturizer add-in for me!

FYI: I don't use this particular brand

This does not break me out at all, which is nothing short of a miracle. I actually think it has helped calm breakouts quite a bit. I have tried using many different oils to moisturize/cleanse with, and all but this one have caused skin issues from overdrying and greasness to clogged pores and painful cystic acne. Hemp and castor oil caused the worst problems for me.

I only use this 1-3 times a week at night otherwise I get some clogged pores, but nothing too major.
I moisturize first with my regular night cream and than work a couple drops of rosehip in my hands before applying it.
It is so soothing, dries quickly and relives dryness instantly.
I used it once or twice under makeup and it wasn't an issue.

love love love

on 3/20/2017 9:20:00 AM

Its good but not great for my skin. I have dry and sensitive skin, it gave some moisturizing but my skin felt a bit irritated after a while ( a few weeks ) of using at nights. I also tried using it by mixing with my foundation in winter days, and I liked it this way. But I just couldn't depend on only this product to moisture and help my skin at nights.. I had to go back to normal moisturizing creams again .
But I think if your skin is dry but not very sensitive, it can work. Just don't put all your hopes on this product to solve all your skin problems.

on 3/9/2017 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This was my 3rd attempt at finding the "right" oil for my facial skin and I wish I could say, "third times a charm"... Previously I had sampled GoW Watermelon Seed Oil which caused hives and then I tested GoW Argan Oil and while I liked how it balanced my oily t-zone, I believe it was worsening my Perioral Dermatitis and causing some acne breakouts. The Trilogy Rosehip Oil seemed to provide more "moisture" to my skin than the Argan and I loved the texture and how smooth it made my skin look/feel. But all that was short lived... After a few weeks of twice daily use, it increasingly caused major clogging, textural issues and tiny little pimples to form all over my forehead and between my eyebrows. I went back to my long time HG Sage Old Lady Cream and my skin has improved greatly. Maybe facial oils aren't for me after all.