Neosporin Pain Relief Cream

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Neosporin Pain Relief Cream

4.6

on 10/25/2011 7:13:00 AM

I used to love this for Pimples when I first discovered the reviews on it for that online.
However with time it does make things worse, for me I would notice another pimple or more.. of the horrible cyst or whitehead kinds in the same exact area I applied it in the weeks to come.
I did some googling and even the cream is FILLED WITH HIGHLY COMEDOGENIC INGREDIENTS!!! like Emulsyfying wax, MINERAL OIL! (the worst zit culprit) , etc etc!!!

Just keep an eye for it changing it's effectiveness on ya, and make sure to apply smallest amount possible with bandaids would probably help (since then when sleeping you won't get it on your pillowcase which then gets it on other parts of your face which then causes more pimples !)

on 7/26/2004 1:00:00 AM

I could not find Neosporin in Canada, but I bought Polysporin, which I believe is the same product. I tried this on both inflamed and healing zits. Honestly, I'm not sure where all the raves are coming from. The cream is VERY greasy and didn't seem to affect my skin at all. Sorry, this didn't work for me!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am kind of on the fence with this one. I had a whitehead that needed to be extracted. So I carefully pricked it with a needle and with little pressure (pressing outwards, not inwards) the gunk came out. So I had heard reviews that this will help to stop the infection or whatever from coming back. So I applied this to it, and left it on for the day. When I wiped it off, the area it was applied to had turned a red/brown color. And it looks like the remains is turning into a scab. So I am not going to apply this to it anymore in the fear of it turning an even darker brown color. But it did help to stop the infection from coming back.

on 11/5/2014 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a great tool to keep in your arsenal. Popped zits, cuts, scratches... I use this and never end up with infection. Cheap and available anywhere.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a great little quick fix for stubborn, painful angry zits, whether it's a pimple that just won't seem to budge or a spot that you've been obsessively picking and squeezing.

I had an annoying breakout near the corner of my mouth and over the past week I've been using different spot treatments to get the darn thing to shrink, or at least come to a head. I've used benzoyl peroxide, a sulfur mask, tea tree oil, salicylic acid, and bentonite clay. Needless to say that after a few days my pimple looked very dry, red, and flaky. I decided to give my skin a little break and try some Neosporin ointment to soothe the irritation. I did this right before bed and covered the spot with a Bandaid. By next morning, the swelling had gone down quite a bit, and the skin around the zit looked smoother. I was pleasantly surprised! I did it again the following night, to see more improvement the following morning. Less swollen, less red, softer skin. By this time, the breakout was much easier to cover with makeup.

While the ointment yielded wonderful results, I DO NOT consider this a long-term solution for acne sufferers. As other reviewers have mentioned, long-term use could do more harm than good, causing the skin to become resistant to antibiotics and make it difficult to fight off infections in the future. Yikes. There's a reason this isn't marketed as a regular skincare treatment.

For me, this is a once-in-a-while last resort / emergency fix. It kills bacteria, moisturizes, and heals the skin very quickly. So while I can see how this is a miracle product for a lot of people, it's still important to consider its long-term effects. I do recommend it as a quick fix every now and then, but for something you can use everyday all over your face, stick to products that are specifically for acne.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I worked for a dermatologist while I was in college, and patients would call and complain about big zits (like a big zit was a reason to be seen today, cancer yes, zit....). He would always tell them to pop it once it came to a head (don't force it!), clean the area and put neosporin on it. I thought this was crazy, but it works! I just use the generic for neosporin, clean my face, extract the pimple, wash again and put neosporin on. Its gone in days rather than weeks. Just for comparison, I had two on my chin, one I left alone and one I did the extraction / neosporin with. The one left alone took 7 weeks to heal and another 6 to get rid of the dark spot, the other took 2 weeks total to go away.

on 11/3/2009 7:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

about 15 years ago i discovered neosporin first aid was excellent for acne. it won't over dry your skin and for those of us over 25 that's important. put a bit on the pimple before you go to bed, it will pull the bacteria up overnight to form a white head. after your shower put a dab more on the white before your moisturizer. you're pimple should be gone by the end of the day. and if you are a picker/popper, put it on after you're performed minor surgery on your pimple. it will help it to clear up and prevent you from scarring. oh, if only i had discovered this in my teens.

on 4/16/2008 3:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

OMG this is such a miracle product for me! I have mild to active acne due to a lot of factors, but 2 days ago I had a big ol' zit (think it may have been a 2 in 1 zit... weird) right under one of my nostrils that looked like a tomato and it hurt so bad. It bothered me so much that I began to pick at it to try and get all the gunk out, and unfortunately by picking at it, it wouldn't stop bleeding and it hurted even more. So I decided to be experimental and used neosporin on it. I never really thought of using this for my pimples because neopsorin is oil based and I have enough oil on my face to deal with as it is. But wow, a few hours later, it no longer hurts and the swelling already went down. The next day, both my nostrils are the same size again, except the one with the pimple is still slightly pink with a slight bump.

I decided to read up on using Neosporin on acne to be on the safe side and one site suggested using this for spot treatments only because neosporin's antiseptics are very powerful and prolong usage of this can cause your skin to build resistance, meaning your skin will get use to the stuff and will no longer give effect if you use topical antibiotic treatments later. Also it kills off the resistance your skin naturally has to fight off bacteria. =(

"While the benefits of Neosporin may sound great, potential users should also take into account the warnings that Pfizer has taken the time to print on the label. Precautions such as “Do not use over large areas of the body" and “Do not use longer than 1 week unless directed by a doctor" are serious warning signs for acne sufferers. Neosporin kills a lot more than just the P. Acnes bacteria that is primarily responsible for the formation of acne pustules. It also eliminates many agents that normally help your skin resist harmful bacteria. With long-term use, there is a danger that your skin may build up an antibiotic resistance which could end up making you more susceptible to serious infection down the road." http://searchwarp.com/swa66598.htm

After reading this, I was pretty disappointed. I was hoping to find my HG acne product. In a way I did, but I would have to sacrifice my health if I were to use this daily.

For the ones who want to use Neosporin for more than one week, here's a trick I read up on: place a tiny amount and mix it in with your moisturizer. I'm no doctor but I wouldn't recommend using this method too long either. Better safe than sorry later...

4 lippies b/c it works wonders and it's the only thing that really helps kill off icky painful pimples fast, but 1 off b/c it has side effects with long term usage.

on 1/27/2013 11:02:00 PM

I keep this in my purse. I use it after I get my brows waxed or threaded, and it prevents any breakouts from that. Also good for treating blemishes during the recovery phase. I find the cream easier to use than the ointment, also great if you are out in the extreme cold and get windburn. (Although a bit of vitamin e oil or Vaseline on the cheeks will prevent windburn from happening.) any redness or irritation, this us my go to product. The small size makes it ideal to carry around.

on 3/27/2011 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a very effective and useful product. I use this on any cut to prevent infection. I have very dry skin and use this if my lips become too cry and painful. It both soothes the irritation caused by dryness, and helps prevent infection. I really love this when I get a minor burn in the kitchen. If I use this right away, not only is that awful pain which usually lingers for hours, even with ice, gone, but no blister after. I very rarely break out during that time of the month, but when I do I use this on the blemish too to insure no scarring either. I much prefer this to the ointment as that seems to retain heat.

Popular Lotions / Creams