La Mer The Lip Balm

La Mer The Lip Balm
The Lip BalmThe Lip BalmThe Lip BalmThe Lip BalmThe Lip Balm

3.8

For the results I experienced way too expensive! Just because its a luxurious brand doesnt mean the product is wonderfull. I have very dry chapped lips and this product just coats the lips for a short period. Average blistex quality! I have better results with Toyomilk dark lip balm. Save your money...

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I'm not a La Mer fan at all because Ive tried the products and just never really noticed the amazing results everyone else seems to. I think the whole product line is just over hyped.

However, I really do love this lip balm. It goes on smoothly, and leaves lips super soft. You don't need to apply much at all either. I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Firstly the bad: unhygienic packaging, it's not always possible to wash my hands before applying so I end up using a cotton swab to apply which wastes some product in the process. Despite that (and the hefty price tag) I do love this lip balm and have re-purchased several times. It goes on well, not too oily and not too dry. You definitely get the minty taste if you lick your lips and I've found that it lingers for a few hours after applying. When I have to travel anywhere cold this is a staple for my trip as it helps to alleviate chapped lips and soreness. For what it does I can't fault it, although from an ingredients perspective I do feel it is overpriced, especially as there are lip balms a fraction of the cost out there such as Jack Black Intense Therapy lip balm that works just as well.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Basically a sugary tasting version of Jack Black lip balm (<$10) in a less hygienic container. Save your money (and dirty fingers) and go for the Jack Black.

Not a bad balm, but nothing special. Other brands do just the same, even better for only a small fraction of the price. Also the smell is a bit weird, it's kind of citrusy I guess, but not exactly...anyways...I don't like it. I suspected that it will be waist of money and sure enough!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I prefer to use lip balms at night, and the La Mer website claims that "applied at night, lips are renewed by morning". This is so ludicrously untrue - I've consistently found that the product is completely absorbed within the hour, and my lips are no more hydrated than before application. It would take me so many consecutive nights of using this balm to achieve the same results I could achieve in just one night using Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream

As many have already pointed out, the packaging is unhygienic and cheap-looking, the mint scent is not particularly pleasant, and the main component of the product is petrolatum - no wonder La Mer doesn't list the specific ingredients on their website! The only positive is that there is a significant amount of product within the jar.

My take-away message is not to be fooled that this product can be used as a remedy for dry lips. If you have very dry to dry skin like myself, ensure you filter these reviews above so you're seeing the opinions of other dry-skinned people - you'll noticed that the overall rating drops dramatically.

on 5/10/2017 10:29:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This is the only la mer product that i didn't hate. Actually that i loved !! I have very dry lips and i bite them all the day this is thick and very good moisturizing. And mint extract feels fresh

After trying many different cold sore remedies and prescription meds on my 9 year old son, I decided to try this lip balm on his lips during a cold sore breakout. It was unusually amazing. He used to get cold sores almost regularly (once/month) and after using this balm for the past year, he has not had a full-blown cold sore. As soon as he feels something coming on, we start using the La Mer lip balm and the cold sore doesn't progress further. Crazy odd, I know. And I'm certainly not sure if this would work for all people with cold sores, but it bizarrely works for my little boy. So we haven't had to use acyclovir or abreva or the like during this entire time. It is quite pricey, but if nothing else seems to work on your lips during cold sore season, definitely worth a try...

on 12/26/2016 12:25:00 PM

COLLASOL waste of money! Kicking myself for giving in to the hype of this brand! Packaging is the best part of this. Balm leaves a sweet taste on the lips (so if you like that you might like this overpriced petrolatum, but I prefer a tasteless balm) and doesn't have a good staying power. Normally I apply a balm at night, and then can make it well into my morning before I need to reapply. By my first cup of coffee my lips felt tight already and wanted something on them. I grabbed my old Nivea tin standby and it was instant $2.50 relief! Save your money for makeup if your considering this stuff - it's so not worth it.

on 10/20/2016 3:53:00 AM

This balm has an excellent dry consistency. It is very easy to apply the right amount. It will not leave any greasy or white residue on the lips. I find it hydrating enough (especially in warmer weather).
Ideally it should not contain mint or colourants.
Price is steep but you get 9g, in contrast to sticks that contain around 3g.
Packaging in a pot is definitely not ideal for hygienic reasons.

I have used up one pot and has bought my second one. The first jar has lasted 11 months with the usage of 2-3 times a day.

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Octyldodecanol, Microcrystalline Wax, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentaoleate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Seaweed Extract, Malachite, Algae Extract, Tourmaline, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Seed Powder, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Fish (Pisces) Protein, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Phytosphingosine, Trehalose, Polybutene, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cholesterol, Glyceryl Distearate, Water, Glycerin, Menthyl PCA, Oleic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Sodium Saccharin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Fragrance, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, BHT, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake. ILN37333