Clinique Lash Building Primer

Clinique Lash Building Primer

3.8

on 6/24/2016 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I originally got this in the Sephora Lash Stash holiday gift set Christmas '14 and didn't think too much of it (mascara primer in general, actually) since it was dual ended with Clinique High Impact and I'm not too familiar with Clinique products. At the time, I was about a month or so into my desicion to grow out my natural lashes after having lash extensions for almost a decade and my lashes were awful - short, brittle, sparse.. Ick. I was in search of that "perfect" mascara that would save my lashes from despair, and was hoping that there was one in this box. Tried majority of the mascaras without the primer, and honestly wasn't impressed. It wasn't the mascaras that were the problem, it was my sucky lashes. I got bored one "off" day and decided to try this primer with the high impact mascara. It was a total game changer, not even kidding. I did one eye with primer and high impact, and one with just high impact. DRAMATIC difference. I remember thinking "why didn't I try this primer in the beginning?!" Every day, I tried this with several different mascaras, high end and drug store alike, same results. My lashes actually looked NORMAL instead of looking skimpy and pathetic. They were thicker & a bit longer. since the discovery of primers, I hate using mascara without one (and rarely, if ever, do) because it just isn't the same, even though now that my lashes are completely grown out. Since this was my first primer, I didn't really have anything to compare it to. Since then, I have branched out to other primers. This one in particular gets 4 lippies ~
Pros:
The price is right as far as high end primers go.
The results are noticeable.
It does condition lashes nicely and makes them kind of flexible.
It doesn't smudge or flake ANY mascara, and I have oily lids. In fact, since I've started using a primer (except for Loreal Superstar, that primer SUCKED and it smudged every mascara I tried it with, I actually did a review on it awhile back) I have no more panda eye! 👍
Works well with pretty much any mascara.
Cons:
I hate to say it, but I agree with the reviewer that mentioned they couldn't find the ingredients anywhere. After doing research and desperately wanting to boost my lashes healthily, I figured any help would do and since I wear mascara every day, might as well use a primer with a growth complex instead having to stick with one particular mascara that contains a growth complex, such as Rimmel. I wanted to know if, over time, this would grow my lashes like Lancome Cils Booster XL claims (which I tried after this and kinda loved. I may have to do a review on it soon) and wanted to do a comparison of the two ingredients. Nope! None available anywhere on the net for this product. Of course, I have repurchased since the original one from the kit, but only because my local Sephora didn't have the Blinc primer I wanted to try, and I was desperate. The 2nd tube wasn't as wowing as the first, but by then I discovered Lancome Cils and fell into lust. And yes, my lashes do seem thicker in growth since using as a base. By then, this one didn't do it for me alone, but when I pair it with LCBXL or Blinc primer, which I have since purchased, holy cow! It definitely still boosts mascara, or maybe it's boosting the other primer, I don't know. Whatever it is, it works!
Overall, I would definitely recommend it, especially if you're a high end primer user on a budget. I've compared this to Loreal Superstar mascara/primer and Cover Girl extensions primer/mascara duo. No comparison to either drugstore primer, and this is only a few dollars more. With the price being so low (15 USD) and it making even Wet & Wild mascara capable of looking like false lashes, I think it's an affordable additive to any mascara junky's arsenal. I may repurchase a 3rd time somewhere down the road, but for now I'm on a mission to find that "perfect" primer with long term benefits, because Cils Booster XL and Blinc aren't doing it for me alone (neither one volumize to my liking) and I can't double up forever (;
One more thing, a full tube lasts foreverrrrr so it's definitely worth the $15. It also doesn't get all chalky the way Tarte MultiplEye did. It dried beyond use after a week! I couldn't even revive it with eyedrops. It then became wet chalk. NEVER AGAIN. Anyway, the tube I have of Lash Building, I got in January and it is still a creamy formula, not clumpy or chalky. I also find that it works best if I let it sit for about 30 seconds before applying my first coat. I tried letting it dry, but did not like the way mascara was applied over it. Actually find this true with any lash primer I've used, but it may work for someone else to let it dry or apply right away.

on 3/21/2015 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Not Sure

I love this. I heat up my eyelash curler, put on the primer then I use Benefit's They're Real mascara. My lashes are both thick and long. The primer also acts a a barrier so if I rub my eyes or my eyes run I don't have raccoon eyes.

To Read all 221 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This has been the only lash primer that I've been using, because it works so well! I can really see the difference in how my mascara looks when I don't use this primer beforehand! It helps build mascara and does not clump :)

on 6/1/2014 3:03:00 AM

I have straight medium-short lashes....this primer honestly did no justice (I am very easily impress). I barely couldn't tell the difference between with and without this primer, it flaked on me (I used Cliniques Lash Power which I absolutely HATE). The tube is grossly huge and not pretty looking at all. It was also pricey (26$ CDN). Would I buy it again? NEVER.

I use this lash primer before i put on the lash doubling mascara from clinique. and it definately makes it last longer. I even took some naps with it, without any dramatic smudgeing. love it!!

on 5/14/2014 5:11:00 PM

Me: Eyelashes stick straight up, but they are long. Every mascara (including waterproof) has smudged on me so I have taken to mascara primers to help me out.

In short, this didn't hold a curl. I curled my eyelashes and as soon as I put the primer on, my eyelashes drooped. Holding a curl and preventing smudging were the only reasons why I wanted a mascara primer. At $15 this is definitely cheaper than Shiseido and Lancome but it does not perform as well. The product comes off white but rather clearish if that makes sense. When I used Lancome, my eyelashes were completely white but with Clinique, the wand and product looks white but doesn't transfer to my eyelashes.

I do think this helps with not smudging, (no raccoon eyes) but I can't forgive this product for not holding a curl.

Also -- another thing that irritated me was that it was IMPOSSIBLE to find the ingredients online for this product. I wanted to compare the ingredients to this and the Lancome one (which didn't work for me) and I couldn't find it.

on 10/31/2013 4:46:00 AM

This was the first lash primer I ever tried, about 2 years ago, and I loved it so much that I immediately became obsessed with lash primers in general. I know that sounds a little crazy but this one product changed my attitude toward mascara altogether. No more smudgy panda eyes! No more limiting myself to tubing mascaras (there are only so many of them). And WOWZA this stuff made my lashes look AMAZING. That's what's so great about lash primer- it makes any and all mascara (dollar store, department store, whatever) look better and last longer.

After I used up my tube of Clinique I tried primers from Dior, Lancome, Tarte, Origins, Shiseido, Hard Candy, Estee Lauder, there may have been others but you get the picture. Now finally, 2 years later, I bought another tube of Clinique's Lash Building Primer because I remembered how much I liked it.

While I still think that Lancome's Cils Booster is my favorite and my HG, Clinique's primer is still pretty awesome. In fact it's better than most. And the name is fitting- this product really does build up my lashes! If you were looking for super-dramatic, borderline-drag queen lashes, this is the primer I'd recommend you use under your mascara. The formula is pretty wet and a little heavier than what I remember, this is one that you should let dry for just a minute before applying mascara. Does a really excellent job of smudge-prevention and makes lashes thicker, longer, and bolder.

Great stuff- I love using it and would purchase again!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I tried Clinique's lash building primer as it's cheaper than Lancome's Cils booster but it doesn't compare in quality and performance.
Clinique's lash primer has a wetter formula which I don't like as it takes the curl out of my lashes. (I have very thin, skimpy Asian lashes so they need all the help they can get)

Pros:
Less expensive than Lancome
Good size brush
Applies a good amount of product on lashes so this is good to build volume (although it maybe a little clumpy)

Cons:
Formula is quite wet and takes a bit of extra time to dry before applying mascara
Can be clumpy

Repurchase:
No, I wouldn't and haven't re-purchased this product and I've gone back to my old standby, Lancome Cils Booster.

on 7/1/2013 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I covet long lashes, like giraffe-in-high-heels- long. Like Erich Von Stroheim's "Greed" or the annotated "War and Peace" long. ELEVATOR TO THE MOON LONG. I'm a cardcarrying mascara enthusiast (read: addict) and I've found some great mascaras over the years, especially L'Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions, Benefit's They're Real, and Rimmel's Sexy Curves.

These are great at lengthening and separating but I still wanted a little more without actually submitting to false lashes. I finally started exploring lash primers and settled on this one. ELF and L'Oreal have decent DS level primers, and Lancome Cils XL is pretty ok and pretty pricey.

But Clinique's, oh my... a perfect fit for me. My lashes are straight, blonde, and have trouble holding a curl. I apply this and then one layer of my mascara when the primer is still wet, curl, and voila!! Beautiful, long, fluttery lashes. It helps prevent clumping and flaking and holds a curl like a champion. I haven't used mascara without this primer since I bought it.

My only difficulty was with the brush. It picks up too much product, but I just scrape it off on the edge of the lid and use the excess for next time.

on 6/28/2013 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I picked this up at a makeup counter in Dillard's. The lady there was really helpful-- she worked for Elizabeth Arden but reccommended I try I lash primer when I said I can never seem to get my lashes to look at big as I want them to. She told me about this lash primer. I've tried one before from wet n wild, but it was one of those cheap double ended ones that came with a set of their lipsticks I wanted. I used it a few times and remembered it being very dry, but in the tester I could tell this one has a wetter formula, so I took a chance on it. It was only fifteen dollars which to me is a good price for a lash primer, which is a none too common makeup item. I really love this lash primer! It adds lenght, volume, and holds a curl. The actual product itself is white, so I need to coat the primer with a pigmented mascara. I also love the packaging. It's simple, no frills, and travel friendly. This is now a staple in my daily makeup routine. I was never intrigued by Clinique, but I may try more from the brand now.