Elizabeth Arden Red Door

Elizabeth Arden Red Door
Red DoorRed DoorRed DoorRed Door

2.9

on 6/21/2018 10:54:00 AM

To me, Red Door is a rich, deep, wonderful olfactory experience. It's what perfume expert Luca Turin calls a "handsome bludgeoner" from the '80s, and it MUST be applied with extreme restraint (1-2 sprays only, please!). The best way to describe this is "YSL Paris had a baby with Vanderbilt and Opium." It's rosy, violetty, spicy, woodsy, powdery, and clean. Unfortunately, it's often overapplied by its users and becomes a nauseating hot mess! For the love of God do not use the body lotion AND the powder AND then spray yourself from crown to coochie in this!!!

I just LOOOOVEEEE this thing when applied delicately! It's gorgeously retro. Totally fits my style of nipped-waist dresses, pearls, and matte red lips.

PSA: Elizabeth Arden reformulated this about 5-10 years ago and put it in a new red-tinted glass bottle shaped like a door. This reformulation is horrible, an absolute chemical-toilet bomb! Instead, go on eBay and get the bottle pictured at the top of this page. It's cheap and you'll be so glad you did :)

on 2/8/2018 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

This new formulation is a hot mess! The old one smelled so divine and elegant.... this new one smells like grass and its horrible! in order to get the original scent you have to check ebay and search for the ones in the clear bottles. Bring back the old scent....

on 5/30/2016 2:16:00 PM

My word is this horrible.

My mom got this as a gift, and she doesn´t like it either. So harsh. I can´t even tell what it´s supposed to smell like.

No, just NO!!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first tried this way back around 1990/1991 as a young girl (around 20 years old back then) and did not care for it. Too heavy and too overpowering and gave me a headache. Just felt to me like an 'older lady scent'. Well, now as an 'older lady,' at age 45, I decided to try this again. Still a no-go for me. Headache and dizziness inducing. And it lasts all day, it is as strong on me from the time I spray it until I take my clothes off some 10-12 hours later. It is a heavy scent, no matter how you look at it I think, and I think one spray will do ya. The upside to this is, if you like the fragrance, it will last you a long time. But I would not wear this to work or to school or around anyone with allergies, asthma or a sensitive nose. Powerful fragrance!! The strange thing for me is, in looking at the fragrance notes of this on fragrantica.com, I would think I would like this. But something in there throws off all those notes for me (or maybe just the combo of everything) just gives me a terribly horrible headache. Sadly, I never get any compliments when wearing this...it also imho has a chemical smell about it..

You can check the main notes and accords here, I tried to copy and paste, but it was not working..: http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Elizabeth-Arden/Red-Door-86.html

i dabble in fragrances. usually only affording cheapo versions (just recently bought an imitation coco madamoiselle), and my mother bought me a bottle for valentine's day in place of the usual candy after wanting to try it for a while. i sprayed it on my girlfriend's hand in the car because she wanted to smell it, and my mother and her boyfriend were overwhelmed, definitely a very strong, blunt scent. i particularly like the perfumes that my mother would describe as "old lady" so i love this. it has a very vintage aura. and it is definitely "mature" but can be worn by anybody. if you like it, wear it. so unique. it lasts all day and its so powerful i can even smell it on myself during the day. very quality, and the price is great.

on 1/27/2016 5:22:00 AM

I am addicted to fragrances :) I will not recommend this fragrance for any ladies younger than 30. I have tried Red Door in my 20`s and was not happy with my purchase. Dicided now in my 30`s to try again but in the EDT. And i love it, goes on a little strong but quickly settle into a musk smell, which i love.

on 10/18/2015 12:32:00 PM

RED DOOR is the SECOND perfume I absolutely HATE. My first and top hate is Gloria Vanderbilt (lavender box with White Swan logo). Someone I worked with used to wear Gloria Vanderbilt, and she smelt like.... mothballs..... old bodies.... Vicar's breath (apologies to those Vicars who do not have bad breath). To me, this Red Door has the same "mothbally" smell as the Gloria Vanderbilt - absolutely dreadful. Christian Dior's Original Poison has this same "mothball" tinge....do you know what I mean?

HOT OFF THE PRESS GIRLS!!.....While passing the Elizabeth Arden counter in Boots, I was "ambushed" by an EA assistant and offered a spray of their latest perfume (just recently launched) called ALWAYS RED. I agreed, then scampered away, with good amount of Always Red on my wrist. OMG!! all the way around the shopping centre, I kept getting a whiff of the most GORGEOUS aroma, and smelt my wrist....it was that!! On arriving home, I could still smell it on my wrist, and some had gone onto the bottom of my sleeve, which I smelt the next day...and it was still there, lingering, unchanged. It is FABULOUS...completely different to Red Door, so modern, sexy, creamy (but not vanilla creamy). VERY difficult to describe this wonderful aroma (as I do not know all the perfume terminology of the ingredients).

Always Red is only available in EDT format. Guess what? I bought a bottle - have worn it - and already had people asking me what my "gorgeous" perfume is.....DO try it out.....you may fall in love with it....as I have.

But Red Door....NO thanks!! I may be in my latter years....but, its certainly too "old" a smell for me.

on 9/18/2015 8:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This perfume was not my cup of tea. It smelled heavily of ylang- ylang , gardenia ,jasmine, orchid,and sandalwood. It reminded me of a grandmother perfume . It seemed to intensify over time and felt more heavy than fresh. In my opinion one drop on the wrist is enough as it is heavy.
Still it has aged well.Although, I didn't care for the scent this is good,for people who love the perfume.

One of my favorite go-to scents. It smells classy and beautiful

on 4/1/2015 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I always have some of this beautiful floral-amber perfume in my collection. The interesting mix of notes creates a distinct scent that's hard to pull apart. Other than rose, I can't really detect any one note, but together they all smell wonderful. According to Jan Moran's book Fabulous Fragrances II, Red Door has the following notes:

Top Notes: Red Roses, Ylang-Ylang, Peach, Plum

Heart Notes: Winter Oriental Orchid, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Moroccan Orange Blossom, Forest Lilies, Wild Violets, Freesia, Tuberose, Rose

Base Notes: Vetiver, Honey, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Amber, Heliotrope, Musk, Benzoin

Red Door is a stronger scent, but judiciously applied, it's not overwhelming. Two sprays is plenty, and it will last all day. If you prefer very light sheer scents, however, you will not like Red Door. It was created in 1989, and it's very much in keeping with that period's preference for bolder fragrances. A better choice might be the equally beautiful Elizabeth Arden fragrance Green Tea. Personally, I feel a beautiful bold fragrance is never out of style, if you really love the scent, and it's worn with confidence. Apparently a lot of other women agree, because a Elizabeth Arden sales rep told me that Red Door is still their best selling fragrance.

Popular Fragrances