Elizabeth Arden Red Door

Elizabeth Arden Red Door
Red DoorRed DoorRed DoorRed Door

2.8

on 8/21/2016 12:08:00 AM

This scent gets such terrible press as an "old lady" perfume, but used verrrrry lightly, it's gorgeous. Deep, posh, spicy and incense-like, with a hovering aura of velvety red roses. One drop from my little parfum mini is enough to scent both neck and wrists all day: Red Door came out in '89, when perfumes were as loud as the neon clothes they accompanied.

I can't even imagine layering the scented body products and then spraying the perfume multiple times on top of that!! But, that's probably what people do that gives RD such a bad rep. Again, quantity is key here. Use judiciously and you will be rewarded with a truly beautiful "rosiental" unlike anything else on the market, and one that holds its own for quality and complexity against many more expensive offerings. A terrific fragrance value!

And BTW, the older bottles (clear glass, domed red cap) smell better. When Arden switched to those wildly adorable red-glass "door" bottles around 2010, they unfortunately also reformulated the scent pretty badly. It's just chemically and migraine-inducing.

on 5/30/2016 2:16:00 PM

My word is this horrible.

My mom got this as a gift, and she doesn´t like it either. So harsh. I can´t even tell what it´s supposed to smell like.

No, just NO!!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I first tried this way back around 1990/1991 as a young girl (around 20 years old back then) and did not care for it. Too heavy and too overpowering and gave me a headache. Just felt to me like an 'older lady scent'. Well, now as an 'older lady,' at age 45, I decided to try this again. Still a no-go for me. Headache and dizziness inducing. And it lasts all day, it is as strong on me from the time I spray it until I take my clothes off some 10-12 hours later. It is a heavy scent, no matter how you look at it I think, and I think one spray will do ya. The upside to this is, if you like the fragrance, it will last you a long time. But I would not wear this to work or to school or around anyone with allergies, asthma or a sensitive nose. Powerful fragrance!! The strange thing for me is, in looking at the fragrance notes of this on fragrantica.com, I would think I would like this. But something in there throws off all those notes for me (or maybe just the combo of everything) just gives me a terribly horrible headache. Sadly, I never get any compliments when wearing this...it also imho has a chemical smell about it..

You can check the main notes and accords here, I tried to copy and paste, but it was not working..: http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Elizabeth-Arden/Red-Door-86.html

i dabble in fragrances. usually only affording cheapo versions (just recently bought an imitation coco madamoiselle), and my mother bought me a bottle for valentine's day in place of the usual candy after wanting to try it for a while. i sprayed it on my girlfriend's hand in the car because she wanted to smell it, and my mother and her boyfriend were overwhelmed, definitely a very strong, blunt scent. i particularly like the perfumes that my mother would describe as "old lady" so i love this. it has a very vintage aura. and it is definitely "mature" but can be worn by anybody. if you like it, wear it. so unique. it lasts all day and its so powerful i can even smell it on myself during the day. very quality, and the price is great.

on 1/27/2016 5:22:00 AM

I am addicted to fragrances :) I will not recommend this fragrance for any ladies younger than 30. I have tried Red Door in my 20`s and was not happy with my purchase. Dicided now in my 30`s to try again but in the EDT. And i love it, goes on a little strong but quickly settle into a musk smell, which i love.

on 10/18/2015 12:32:00 PM

RED DOOR is the SECOND perfume I absolutely HATE. My first and top hate is Gloria Vanderbilt (lavender box with White Swan logo). Someone I worked with used to wear Gloria Vanderbilt, and she smelt like.... mothballs..... old bodies.... Vicar's breath (apologies to those Vicars who do not have bad breath). To me, this Red Door has the same "mothbally" smell as the Gloria Vanderbilt - absolutely dreadful. Christian Dior's Original Poison has this same "mothball" tinge....do you know what I mean?

HOT OFF THE PRESS GIRLS!!.....While passing the Elizabeth Arden counter in Boots, I was "ambushed" by an EA assistant and offered a spray of their latest perfume (just recently launched) called ALWAYS RED. I agreed, then scampered away, with good amount of Always Red on my wrist. OMG!! all the way around the shopping centre, I kept getting a whiff of the most GORGEOUS aroma, and smelt my wrist....it was that!! On arriving home, I could still smell it on my wrist, and some had gone onto the bottom of my sleeve, which I smelt the next day...and it was still there, lingering, unchanged. It is FABULOUS...completely different to Red Door, so modern, sexy, creamy (but not vanilla creamy). VERY difficult to describe this wonderful aroma (as I do not know all the perfume terminology of the ingredients).

Always Red is only available in EDT format. Guess what? I bought a bottle - have worn it - and already had people asking me what my "gorgeous" perfume is.....DO try it out.....you may fall in love with it....as I have.

But Red Door....NO thanks!! I may be in my latter years....but, its certainly too "old" a smell for me.

on 9/18/2015 8:51:00 AM

This perfume was not my cup of tea. It smelled heavily of ylang- ylang , gardenia ,jasmine, orchid,and sandalwood. It reminded me of a grandmother perfume . It seemed to intensify over time and felt more heavy than fresh. In my opinion one drop on the wrist is enough as it is heavy.
Still it has aged well.Although, I didn't care for the scent this is good,for people who love the perfume.

One of my favorite go-to scents. It smells classy and beautiful

on 4/1/2015 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I always have some of this beautiful floral-amber perfume in my collection. The interesting mix of notes creates a distinct scent that's hard to pull apart. Other than rose, I can't really detect any one note, but together they all smell wonderful. According to Jan Moran's book Fabulous Fragrances II, Red Door has the following notes:

Top Notes: Red Roses, Ylang-Ylang, Peach, Plum

Heart Notes: Winter Oriental Orchid, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Moroccan Orange Blossom, Forest Lilies, Wild Violets, Freesia, Tuberose, Rose

Base Notes: Vetiver, Honey, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Amber, Heliotrope, Musk, Benzoin

Red Door is a stronger scent, but judiciously applied, it's not overwhelming. Two sprays is plenty, and it will last all day. If you prefer very light sheer scents, however, you will not like Red Door. It was created in 1989, and it's very much in keeping with that period's preference for bolder fragrances. A better choice might be the equally beautiful Elizabeth Arden fragrance Green Tea. Personally, I feel a beautiful bold fragrance is never out of style, if you really love the scent, and it's worn with confidence. Apparently a lot of other women agree, because a Elizabeth Arden sales rep told me that Red Door is still their best selling fragrance.

I had heard about Red Door for years but have never even tried it so when I was given a Bottle for Christmas, I opened it expecting the usual floraly perfume that would sit close to the skin and fade...Wow!! was I wrong. I sprayed it on my wrist and could still smell it 6 + hours later and it still smelt like I had just put it on, it hadn't faded at all. This to me is more like a Edp than a Edt. I can smell the Rose and Violet also what I think is Lily (sorry I am not good at describing the different notes)

I would say its a perfume for evenings as I think it would be too strong for daytime. Less is more with this one. Put too much on and you are likely to knock people out and I would not wear it if you work in an office. A couple of sprays is probably enough.

Its quite sensual and sexy but like said its strong which actually makes a change from the vast amount of Perfumes that claim to be Edp and only last an hour at the most and you end up topping up every couple of hours but not with Red Door, it will last all day/night

I am amazed at the price as its better than the top end perfumes. If you want a perfume that will get you noticed, then this is it!

Popular Fragrances