Chantecaille Loose powder

Chantecaille Loose powder
Loose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powderLoose powder

4.4

Well, this is my best replacement to my HG of powders that decided to cheap out (Christian Dior's Poudre Libre, after a long run as a high-quality, finely-milled loose powder with a perfect color... went and added TALC, which makes me break out horribly! It stayed the same price too: $45 USD). Anywho, so began my quest for a comparable replacement. After reading reviews on this site, I decided to go for Chantecaille's Talc-Free Loose Powder.

*********CONS (first):********* very limited availability, at least in Orange County, CA; had to go to Neiman-Marcus (overly pretentious store, IMHO), and they only accept cash or American Express. So that was a pain. Short of ordering online, you have to go prepared! Then, I agree that the packaging is gorgeous BUT the biggest pain in the you-know-what to work with (messy, you potentially lose product too). So, after peeling back about half of the sticky sifter cover to only let a little product out at a time, I finally caved and VERY CAREFULLY pried open the package with the flat edge of a metal spatula and transferred it into my old (and now empty) Christian Dior Poudre Libre packaging with the same thin metal spatula (are you kidding me? For $45 USD this stuff is like GOLD and you don't want to lose any of it!). See my review on the packaging for CD's Poudre Libre, you'll see why I love it so much, plus they gave you a killer compact (as in small) powder brush built into the package. I think the Chantecaille packaging came with a powder puff but why would I use that with loose powder? Powder puffs are meant for pressed powders, brushes are meant for loose powders. Anyway... on to the pros...

*********PROS:********* While I personally feel it is a shade less silky than my old fave (CD Poudre Libre), it is perfect for my needs, and for me, I like a slightly dewy finish, not cakey or heavy... I like to let my skin show through (I routinely use select concealers -- like under the eyes, round the corners of my nose, and on any select blemishes or patches of redness -- and depending on the day, I also love Shiseido's Stick Foundation... no skin reactions and it goes on great; is buildable and still lets my own skin show through. BUT, enough about that!). Chantecaille's powder is finely milled, a good color, and I use my old CD brush to apply it... no chalky appearance, and it sets my makeup so my skin feels silky smooth, and dispels shine just enough until I touch up throughout the day (only if needed) with MAC's Blot Powder (which is great because that doesn't build up product). And best of all, this talc-free powder does not break out my sensitized skin (THANK YOU Chantecaille for producing a quality loose powder that YES, CAN be talc-free!) I put dates on my products so I know a) if they're past their expiration date and b) to see how long they last me... and this first package has lasted me 6 months so far and by my accounts, will last me at least another 3... so, it's a worthwhile purchase.
*********As a side note:********* Please don't expect this powder to necessarily hold your shine at bay all day, if you tend to be oily. As a makeup artist, I have learned that loose powder is formulated more as a finishing/setting powder. If you want coverage and shine control (long-lasting), you will need to use a pressed foundation powder or more heavily-pigmented loose powder, and apply with a sponge or powder puff (sponges work GREAT for picking up enough product; plus, with their triangular angles, you can more easily get into crevices that you cannot with a regular powder puff). Also, if you are having excessive oil production problems, your skin care routine may be the culprit (a proper and controlled skin care routine that you DON'T overload product onto will help immensely. My new fave is Origins, which I will review as well).

on 11/7/2012 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I had a mini of this years ago that lasted me years. I used it up and then moved on. Since then I tried many other powders from drugstore to Dept store trying to find a loose setting powder I liked. Who knew it would be so freaking hard?

My criteria(which I didn't know was so discerning): No caking, not too drying, no glitter bomb, no flash in photography, no breakouts, no orangeyness, should be finely milled, lightly scented or no scent.

L'Oreal: caked, flashed, weird scent
Lancome: Absolue: glittery, Mineral: orangey, oxidized
MAC: caked
Clinique: Caked, oxidized
Jane Iredale: Drying, flash
Bare Escentuals: Flash

This powder, though ungodly expensive finally fits all of my categories. The container is huge so it will probably last me 10 years since I only use powder to set certain parts of my face and my mini powder previously lasted 3 years. Really sometimes you just have to give in and bite the bullet. I could have bought the Chantecaille outright instead of buying all of the products above and being disappointed. I am stupid.

Oh the Chantecaille website now has a color guide to let you know what color to buy which I appreciate since the nearest counter to me is 3 hours away so I must online shop. I wear vanilla in Future skin and in the powder I bought Subtle. It is supposed to have a peach undertone which I was a little apprehensive about thinking ORANGE but it is perfect. In MAC I'm NC 25, Bobbi Brown sand.

This is the powder I have been looking for for years. It is very very finely milled, does not have tacky shimmer, never cakes/settles into lines and feels very light on skin. It sets makeup perfectly with a soft, polished finish. The oil control is excellent, too. It is very expensive, and the packaging, while very pretty, is bad, but I think it is worth trying just because of its quality. It works well with different type of foundations I use. FYI: Other powders I used: Cle de Peau loose (did not like it: way too expensive, broke me out, no oil control): YSL (not as finely milled, looks a hint too heavy): Guerlain (in general good but heavily fragranced/slightly drying): GA (too much shimmer, oxidised): By Terry loose (good but way too expensive for such a small amount): By Terry compact (very good, another favourite, offers more coverage than the Chantecaille powder).

on 9/13/2011 1:39:00 PM

I have this in the color Subtle, which works for my NC25/Future Skin Vanilla skintone even though when I bought it I was more NC20/Alabaster.

The powder is great for:
- Those who like extremely light and finely-milled powders with a slight light-reflective sheen to it when applied (not shiny, not matte).
- Those who have dry/normal skin and are looking for light finishing powder.
- Those who like makeup with attractive packaging. The powder case is housed in an elegant silver case and looks great on the vanity.

Personally, I don't use the powder a lot for several reasons:
- I have combination-oily skin, and this doesn't help control oil.
- I also don't like the fact that it has parabens in it, BHT, and a whole slew of other preservatives (even though it is talc-free).

I noticed that a lot of people are not happy with the packaging. I talked to the SA and found a solution for powder spillage:
- When you buy the powder, do NOT remove the whole seal. Instead, peel back to expose 4-5 holes, cut out that section, and leave the rest of the seal alone.
- When you want to use some of the powder, tap some of it onto the lid. The powder will come out of the 4-5 holes instead of the whole thing, and will make the application process a lot less messy. I have traveled a lot with the powder using this method and have never had trouble with spillage.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This has quickly become my holy grail loose powder. Now that I've found it, I cannot imagine living without it. I'm an NC-40 and currently using the the shade "Ray". You can apply this lightly or heavily and the finish will still look airbrushed which goes to show how fine milled this powder is. In the past, I've experimented with other powders such as LORAC, Cle de Peau, Bare Escentuals, and all incomparable to Chantecaille. While I really loved Cle de Peau's quality, I felt like the main ingredient (TALC) severely irritated my skin and caused it to itch and feel uncomfortable. Even though it claimed to be a translucent loose powder, the product still contained a little pink, so if you applied the powder too heavily, you'd get a pinkish cast over your make up. For $99 it was a total waste of my money. Chantecaille is half the price and contains no trace of Talc. The quality is superb if not better and it comes in 3 shades to adjust to your skin. I love the flat but round aluminum container. It really stands out in the make up stash. I usually sift some powder onto the top of the container and swift my powder brush to make sure no product spills over. It comes with a white puff but I find that using a powder brush gives me better results. Unless you're allergic to Bismuth, this powder is a must have and I'd recommend this to anyone who loves a high quality loose powder.

on 7/12/2007 6:26:00 PM

I have tried just about every loose powder out there ladies...yes, even the precious Cle de Peau ~ This is the most natural, light powder I've ever purchased. I have found this to be a "setting powder only". I'm oily & need to touch up w/ Boscia blotting papers around noon. However, if your looking for an elegent, natural - true to color setting powder try this & I don't think you will be disappointed! I'm NC25 & I wear shade "Light"

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is really the best i try by now. I am not fan of loose powders and i don't really like powdery look but this one just gives me gorgeous face
My face doesnt look like have loose powder at all. Its leaving me a lovely mate finish smooth my skin and my make up last all day long. I just couldnt stop touching my face all day ..is so soft.
I am MAC 15-20 and I have it in # Light (from a lovely swapper.TY Liz) and when I see it really look to me like flour but ones I apply is GREAT.
I try many powders like La Prairie, T.LeClerc, Caron, YSL, Chanel and so much more, so far this one is the best

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I want to marry this stuff. I used LM for many years but it is harder and harder to get in Switzerland even though it is sold her, and paradoxically easier for me to get Chantecaille even though it isn't sold here. For whatever reason the LM loose isn't sent to our counters here but when I am Paris I can pick this stuff up.

The coverage and wear of the Chantecaille is similar to the LM but with the Chantecaille I use far less product. The Chantecaille is finely milled, but not so much that it is blotchy. It doesn't oxidize or cake or settle into my fine lines, of which there are many.

There isn't anything not to love about the Chantecaille, which is only fair given its price tag, but it is a fair price to pay for something that works with minimal fuss.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I've been using Cle de Peau for years until the refill was not longer being sold, so I had a choice of try by Terry or Chantecaille. I decided to purchase Chantecaille and I find this is slightly better then Cle de Peau loose powder. The reason is that the powder had no shimmer, but it makes your skin appear natural, slightly dewy and flawless. The powder does not make your skin dry or appear cakey or have build-up. I will be repurchasing this powder.

on 11/28/2009 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is outstanding. LeClerc is the only other powder I would recommend - and this product far surpasses even that. I have always cringed at the thought of setting my makeup. I can always tell when someone has powder on. This sets my makeup, I cannot tell that its there, and after 8 hours, its all holding together perfectly. The consistency is like silk - and I believe it has silk fibers. I bought the Subtle to set Chantecaille's Real Skin - and where before I wasn't happy with the leftover shine/slip of the Real Skin, with the powder on top of it, it is now my HG foundation. Coverage that feels like nothing is there. The two products together are spectacular.