Clairol Shimmer Lights

Clairol Shimmer Lights

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Fragrance/Parfum, Disodium Phosphate, Glycol Stearate, Ricinoleamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate, Cocamide Mea, Linoleamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylizothiazolinone, EXT. Violet 2, Cl 60730, Violet 2, Cl 60725.

on 7/21/2016 4:40:00 AM

i think this is an amazing product. i was doing a lot of research on this shampoo and i found a great article discussing it and for those that are interested in doing the research i want to make that easier for them by providing them with and article that i found toi be very helpful let me know what you think. https://www.mapleholistics.com/blog/purple-shampoo/

At first I was unsure what the end result would be with using a purple shampoo but I'm happy that I decided to give it a try. Suggest by my stylist to tone down brass tones and shampooing away yellow, I have experienced wonderful results so far. I use once weekly or when needed (when I notice any fading in my highlighted hair). It makes my hair shine and feel soft after using and has maintained a rich highlighted color.

To Read all 352 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Last August, I went to the salon and asked for a drastic hair transformation. I began with black and boxed dyed hair and left the salon with an ashy blonde. I was absolutely happy about the way it turned out...until my after my first wash. It turned golden yellow and I was horrified. I looked up how I can combat this golden mess and this shampoo is supposed to work wonders.

The shampoo did a good job. During my first wash, I left it in for about ten amounts and after I stepped out, my hair was a little bit ashy again. I was excited. So what did I do? I used the Shimmer Lights almost every time I washed my hair, alternating between the Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo. Bad idea. Every time I washed my hair with shimmer lights, it got golden canary yellow once again. I eventually learned that using purple shampoo excessively, and the anti-residue shampoo STRIPS the colour of your hair away. Oh the irony how to I tried to use this shampoo to make it ashier, I made it more gold. It got terrible, I ended up box dying my hair back to a dark brown and it faded into a honey colour.

During the honey colour stage, I continued to use the shampoo when necessary. Despite what other reviewers have to say, I really like the scent. The shampoo is extremely dark purple and can stain your tub. It lathers really nicely and leaves my hair soft. However, if you have platinum blonde or icy blond hair, using this will leave a lilac tint for the first couple of days, which I find is nice.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

If you have blonde or silver hair, you need Shimmer Lights in your life!!
In between highlights I use this purple shampoo when I notice my blond bits could use a refreshing. It gives a subtle toning of the brass out without needing to apply a toner at home. Perfect for a slight color adjustment. I even used this shampoo to tone my hair extensions when they came to me slightly more warm than my own hair. I filled a bowl with warm water, squeezed some of the shampoo in to make a purple bath, and dipped my extensions in the solution several times to brighten the warm tones. Worked great!

Took a lippie off due to the drying nature of this shampoo. It's by no means moisturizing...make sure you're using a heavy conditioner and a good treatment after using!

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I didnĀ“t like this shampoo at all. My hair was ash blonde so I start using this to keep the color. Big Mistake! the more I used, the more my hair turn golden - yellow. Two weeks past since I colored my hair (and using this shampoo) and I had to re- do it.

This is my HG purple toning shampoo for my platinum hair. It whitens and brightens without turning my hair purple or grey. I took one lip pie off for the smell, it is, how you say, powdery and older smelling.

on 2/15/2016 6:46:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I wasn't impressed with this shampoo. I usually use a different brand of purple shampoo, but because its hard to find in many stores, I decided to try Shimmer Lights for my colour treated blonde hair. This shampoo did absolutely nothing in terms of toning down any brassiness/yellow tones, and as others have mentioned, it did smell rather strong in an unpleasant way.

on 2/11/2016 1:37:00 PM

I just got my hair bleached out nearly platinum but still had a bit of brassiness at the roots. My hairdresser recommended this stuff, but I honestly cannot get past the smell. I'm not usually bothered by perfumes in products and sometimes like the smell of things that others find too strong. This is stuff smells so bad, so pungent, that even nearly 8 hours after washing, conditioning, and even using additional product on my hair, I can still smell it and it's given me a headache. If you are ever, ever sensitive to smells, this stuff will make you crazy, and even if you're not, oof, be careful!

My hair feels very soft, and the brassy tone is tamed somewhat, but it's not a miracle product or anything. At over $10 per bottle for the shampoo and conditioner, I feel like I have to use this stuff up, but I think I'll be rotating it with something far less smelly or else diluting it with some unscented conditioner or something.

on 1/17/2016 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a terrible toning shampoo. I used this for about 3 minutes and it turned my blond hair gray!! It also left it a dry, tangled, mangled mess, which I didn't appreciate one bit. It is by far the most drying of all the toning shampoos I've ever used. It also has sulfates so it can actually fade your hair color. I much prefer either Joico Color Endure or Blond Brilliance Lathering Toner in the Cool Tone, both of which are sulfate free and really gentle. Joico works really well in about 5 minutes and doesn't make my hair feel dry. Blond Brilliance also smells divine and isn't drying either. Both of these are better options than Shimmer Lights. I also like Tressa Watercolors shampoo in violet, which is also sulfate free and works really well. Any of these other shampoos are superior to Shimmer Lights. I think Shimmer Lights is absolutely awful and I ended up throwing the rest of the bottle in the trash. There can't possibly be a worse shampoo on the planet!! If you want dried out purple or gray hair, then by all means, use Shimmer Lights. But if you simply want to neutralize overly golden tones in blond hair, Joico, Blond Brilliance or Tressa are superior products and do this in about 5 minutes. They work great and will not leave your hair dry or tangled beyond recognition. Blond Brilliance is available at Sally's, just fyi.

Tbh i love this product. I did an ombre to my hair, like i have dark brown hair dyed it to a lighter brown and then blonde at first the blonde was very brassy and i hated it but i used a few toners first didnt work as good then i decided to try this shampoo. I was skeptic at first because alot of people told me its super concentrated and made it silvery like after words. Turns out i can do that but always depends on how many times you do it and for how long you leave it in. I do it like 1 or 2 times a week keep both shampoo and conditioner in 5 minutes each. Toned out my hair nicelyyyy! And its a perfect ask blonde with a honey ish color. It looks great. Like i saod make sure you time it how long you leave it in and how many times you use it. I by accident one time left it in for too long and it became silver sooo i didnt use it for a week and it went back to normal :). All in all i loveeeeee this product

Popular Shampoos