Clairol Shimmer Lights

Clairol Shimmer Lights
Shimmer Lights

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Fragrance/Parfum, Disodium Phosphate, Glycol Stearate, Ricinoleamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate, Cocamide Mea, Linoleamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylizothiazolinone, EXT. Violet 2, Cl 60730, Violet 2, Cl 60725.

on 7/18/2017 6:02:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This shampoo IS strongly scented and anyone who has ever used it will tell you they smell your "purple shampoo." It is also somewhat drying and your hair will likely tangle like crazy so be prepared to use a good leave-in conditioner. That being said, it is the BEST shampoo for brassy hair out there, none of the higher-end shampoos even come close to the brass-busting this shampoo and conditioner offer. I may try using the conditioner as shampoo for co-wash at times and see how that works.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I didn't expect to love this as much as I do.
I always heard this shampoo was super drying, so I never used it.
I got some from a friend and decided to try it.
It's the most pigmented purple shampoo I have tried! I've tried several from Matrix to Joico, and this eliminates brass the best. It doesn't seem to dry out my hair anymore than other purple shampoos.
If you leave this on dry, platinum hair, it will stain the hair purple, which I love.
Great for the price!
Highly recommend.
A+

on 6/23/2017 5:03:00 PM

I love the light Violet streaks it leaves...very slight
but can see them in the sun...use a very good conditioner after every time to prevent dryness.

Sort of works, but is also very strongly scented and very drying.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I cant really comment on the efficacy for this product as I have only used it once. The smell was so offensive to me I just couldnt do it.

Also left me hair dry and parched after rinsing out. I would recommend a deep condition after.

Woof..

I tried this on my highlighted hair and it did nothing for me. Also it really really dried out my hair and scalp :(

Paint this on your hair while its dry and leave it in for an hour or two. You will have a purple tint but it will fade quickly. Fixed my hot orange roots in one use. Now they are a cool blonde that matches the rest of my hair. Slightly drying but a deep conditioner will do the trick.

on 7/21/2016 4:40:00 AM

i think this is an amazing product. i was doing a lot of research on this shampoo and i found a great article discussing it and for those that are interested in doing the research i want to make that easier for them by providing them with and article that i found toi be very helpful let me know what you think. https://www.mapleholistics.com/blog/purple-shampoo/

At first I was unsure what the end result would be with using a purple shampoo but I'm happy that I decided to give it a try. Suggest by my stylist to tone down brass tones and shampooing away yellow, I have experienced wonderful results so far. I use once weekly or when needed (when I notice any fading in my highlighted hair). It makes my hair shine and feel soft after using and has maintained a rich highlighted color.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Last August, I went to the salon and asked for a drastic hair transformation. I began with black and boxed dyed hair and left the salon with an ashy blonde. I was absolutely happy about the way it turned out...until my after my first wash. It turned golden yellow and I was horrified. I looked up how I can combat this golden mess and this shampoo is supposed to work wonders.

The shampoo did a good job. During my first wash, I left it in for about ten amounts and after I stepped out, my hair was a little bit ashy again. I was excited. So what did I do? I used the Shimmer Lights almost every time I washed my hair, alternating between the Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo. Bad idea. Every time I washed my hair with shimmer lights, it got golden canary yellow once again. I eventually learned that using purple shampoo excessively, and the anti-residue shampoo STRIPS the colour of your hair away. Oh the irony how to I tried to use this shampoo to make it ashier, I made it more gold. It got terrible, I ended up box dying my hair back to a dark brown and it faded into a honey colour.

During the honey colour stage, I continued to use the shampoo when necessary. Despite what other reviewers have to say, I really like the scent. The shampoo is extremely dark purple and can stain your tub. It lathers really nicely and leaves my hair soft. However, if you have platinum blonde or icy blond hair, using this will leave a lilac tint for the first couple of days, which I find is nice.

Popular Shampoos