78%

Shop Now

Reviews

3.0

6 months ago

I would NOT use this again on my own hair (which was improperly colored to orangey, and then NOT fixed by a good colorist--not fixable by Shimmer Lights at all, either--that bad,) but it is the BOMB to use on brassy (clip on) natural hair extensions which are too bright and then followed by a good conditioner. I would much rather use and experiment on purple shampoos and toners on extensions than my own hair. Bad results I can throw away: my own hair? Nope not so much, lol! IMHO, no purple shampoo can really fix under lightened highlights; the result is ugly and murky...The highlights HAVE to been lightened to the proper shade. That's where the best results begin as far as toning to the particular shade you wish to have.

About reviewer (73 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

EyesHazel

3.0

a year ago

It eliminates brass like it promises but its SO drying just not worth it. I box dye my naturally light brown hair to an ash blonde which makes my hair a bit dryer and more fragile so this drying formula leaves it feeling FRIED. Once my hair dries after I use this it looks like a broom cuz it's just so straw like. Will have to find a better toning shampoo :(

About reviewer (170 reviews)

Age

SkinSensitive, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

a year ago

Do not use this shampoo!! I was using this shampoo for 6 months and it left horrible buildup on my scalp and hair! I went to the salon today expecting to get my hair coloured and my stylist said that my hair could literally catch fire from the buildup mixed with the chemicals from the hair dye and that I would have to sign a waiver. She had to cut inches off of my hair to help save it, wash it 3 times and do a treatment. I also had to purchase products to use for the next month for every time I shower to remove the buildup. $270 later and I now have short hair and could not get any blonde put in it today due to this product. It is extremely drying AND made my hair break off after months of use. I used this shampoo every few days, maybe twice a week and I have had horrible results in the long run. It does honestly give great blonde colour and take away any brassy tones after one use, however it is not worth it. I also read on amazon that other women had similar experiences with hair breakage and product buildup. My hair used to be down to my waist and now it's just past my shoulders. Overall, I'm very upset with the results of this product and I DO NOT recommended,

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOther, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

2 years ago

this smells like the worst 1970's Avon perfume. It gave me a headache and it lingers all day. To make matters worse the conditioner is like purple water.

About reviewer (74 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinVery Oily, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlack, Other, Other

EyesGreen

2 years ago

If u r using product and notice that ur hair is shedding more, it's the shimmer lights. I didn't link it to my hair shedding at first. But then I remember when I brought it that the clerk told me to only use a tiny amount because it is harsh on the hair. And sadly, I didn't think about it until my hair was already thinner. Now I have to find a product to restore. Stop using!!!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium

HairGrey

EyesBrown

2 years ago

This was my first ever purple shampoo. I was impressed by it, especially for such a great price. Decently pigmented, does the job but it smells icky. Have tried better products since though.

About reviewer (25 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

2 years ago

I love this shampoo and the conditioner even better. I even love the seriously strong smell, although i’m 37 and it reminds me of something really strong my mam would use back in the day. If your not one for strong perfume smells your not going to like this but people compliment me on what perfume im wearing and i tell them its the purple shampoo on my hair lol. However, I have friends that use this and cant bare the smell but love the effect so use it anyway. I actually prefer it to fanola no yellow only because fanola is absurdly pigmented and can turn my hair purple in parts, yes purple, not lilac like shimmer lights can. I deep condition after using this every time. It can be drying but only as drying as any other purple shampoo but after deep conditioning your hair is like silk again so its not an issue.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOily, Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

3 years ago

This shampoo STINKS. it is awful. The smell reminds me of an old lady talc and overpowering old lady perfume. My boyfriend was disgusted by the smell in my hair. It is also MEGA DRYING. It doesn't matter how long I leave it in, it dries my hair out and it doesn't really tone it very well. I do not recommend at ALL. DO NOT BUY. If you want a good toning shampoo try ion purple shampoo or Joico toning shampoo. Don't waste your money. I bought a huge pump bottle size which was overly expensive and didn't smell it first. Big mistake! It's been sitting in my shower for over a year. I use it to clean my bathtub when I run out of cleaner. It seems harsh enough to clean a bathtub so I don't think it is gentle enough for hair. Ugh!

About reviewer (92 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairOther, Wavy, Fine

EyesGreen

3 years ago

This shampoo IS strongly scented and anyone who has ever used it will tell you they smell your "purple shampoo." It is also somewhat drying and your hair will likely tangle like crazy so be prepared to use a good leave-in conditioner. That being said, it is the BEST shampoo for brassy hair out there, none of the higher-end shampoos even come close to the brass-busting this shampoo and conditioner offer. I may try using the conditioner as shampoo for co-wash at times and see how that works.

About reviewer (24 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Straight, Medium

3 years ago

I didn't expect to love this as much as I do. I always heard this shampoo was super drying, so I never used it. I got some from a friend and decided to try it. It's the most pigmented purple shampoo I have tried! I've tried several from Matrix to Joico, and this eliminates brass the best. It doesn't seem to dry out my hair anymore than other purple shampoos. If you leave this on dry, platinum hair, it will stain the hair purple, which I love. Great for the price! Highly recommend. A+

About reviewer (120 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium