Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo

Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo

Not tested on animals

Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate (coconut derived), cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, decyl glucoside, cocamidopropyl hydroysultaine, citric acid (corn), phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin, sodium chloride (sea salt), fragrance from essential oils. * certified organic

on 2/3/2016 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this awhile back. I was pretty sure it was making my hair lifeless and greasy. I put it to the back of the shelf 3 months ago and was only keeping it in case I needed it in a pinch. I ran out of shampoo 2 weeks ago and reached for this for the interim. It is doing the exact same thing to my hair so back to the shelf it goes. My hair is long, coloured, straight and fine. It is not too dry or too oily. I suspect this may work better on thicker hair that is prone to dryness.

I have used this in the past when it was carried by larger chain drugstores. I usually come across it in TJ Maxx or Marshalls for about $13 for a giant pump dispense bottle. I'm getting down to the bottom of the bottle and am highly suspicious that this is reacting negatively with my skin. I have been experiencing more clogged pores and blackheads on the outer areas of my face ("sideburns") and the upper part of my back. I'm likely going to toss and not repurchase personally.

To Read all 106 Reviews, Login or Join

When it comes to natural shampoos some of them can leave your hair feeling like straw, this one is the closest to a mainstream salon shampoo that uses natural ingredients that I have found. I wish it was slightly more conditioning but other than that I would buy it again.

on 12/24/2013 11:54:00 PM

For color-treated this one is better than the tea tree one, in my opinion. It leaves hair more moisturized than the tea tree. I like this one but my scalp likes tea tree better. I have three pimples on my scalp and I feel like this one doesn't clarify my scalp as well as tea tree.

Now that my hair dye is grown out I'm switching back to tea tree and focusing on my scalp. This shampoo is good for healthy strand focus, but tea tree does that well enough, too.

on 12/2/2013 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I wanted to like this stuff. Says for color treated hair (I have deep/bright red hair, naturally straight on top kinky wavy/curly on bottom half, sort of fine, but a TON of hair) but it makes my scalp even flakier and I get greasy hair faster. I wash my hair once a wee soooo I need something that sort of strips my scalp grease :p.

I will just stick to the tea tree kind, even though all these shampoos dry the hell out of hair, the tea tree when just rubbed on my roots then follow with a moisturizing conditioner I can go about 4 days without needing my dry shampoo spray!

I just can't use anything for color treated hair, makes it too greasy!

Product smells good but it definitely doesn't "balance"

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I have kinky 3c/4a hair. And I bought the HUGE bottle of this shampoo yesterday. I needed a wash so I deep conditioned with Shea Moisture, then used this to wash it off. No matter how much conditioner I used after, my hair still felt brittle and dry from the shampoo and I was so scared to even attempt to blow dry it, so my twist-out could be elongated. Even a leave in couldn't make it feel better. I love the smell, and the easy pump bottle but someone else in my house is gonna have to use this because I'm not.

on 5/15/2013 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I wanted to love this shampoo. It seemed ideal. I was already having issues from a chemical treatment months ago. To scalp has always been really oily and the rest of my hair normal but this treatment to make my hair straight just made things worse. Protein treatments really did not help. I know my hair pretty well and I've done lots of terrible things to it over the years and been able to recover but this was a treatment applied to virgin hair. For some reason it did the opposite and made my hair frizz, become dry and break. I had tried lots of products and thought this would be the one.
It just made things worse. With each use my hair got drier and even started to sort of stick together.

There is little to no scent which I really liked.

This is my best shampoo yet! It smells like grapefruit ^.^ Maybe those who are sensitive to fragrances won't like the scent, but my thoughts on scents are pretty simplistic. I either think a smell is yummy, or it's not. Anyway, very nice product. If you are looking for a hydrating shampoo, this isn't it, though it won't completely dry your hair out until there's not a hint of moisture. It acts as a clarifying shampoo, and my hair feels very clean afterwards. I like to use this shampoo with a creamy, moisturizing conditioner (I'm looking for a natural conditioner to use) so my hair feels very pure, but not stripped.

This is the best clarifying shampoo I have ever used! It says you can use it daily but I would not recondmend it. I tried it 2 days in a row and my hair was way too dry. All other clarifying shampoos I've tried either left a residue in my hair or totally stripped it. This didn't do any if that. My hair was shiny and bouncy! I have fine hair.

on 12/26/2012 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really like this shampoo. Usually I try to stick with co-washing as I find itís better for my long, naturally curly hair; however, when I want to clarify or save time in the shower (co-washing takes me so much longer than shampooing!), this is the one I reach for to get my scalp and hair clean. It never leaves my hair dry or tangled, which is rare. Iíve tried several shampoos ~ sulfate-free, high-end, drugstore, all natural, full of chemicals ~ none have give me consistently good results until I stumbled upon this one by Giovanni. Love that itís a cruelty-free company and full of healthy ingredients. I buy from Vitacost.com, since they have the best price around (under $5 a bottle). Also, you donít need to use much, so a bottle will last quite a while.