Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

Filtered by skin type : Very Oily
Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder
Neutral Set translucent powderNeutral Set translucent powderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set translucent powder

3.4

Price: $

Price: $

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this due to the ingredient list being similar to my favorite setting powder. It's actually pretty hard to find talc in setting powders these days since silica products have gotten more attention. This has both talc and silica. Talc is my favorite oil absorbing ingredient. I thought I was going to love this powder.

The name is misleading as it's not a neutral shade. It's a stark white powder. Yes, most of the white color blends away when you buff it in. I've experienced worse whitecast by other products.However this does lighten my foundation by 1 shade. Ben Nye Neutral Set truly is translucent in terms of coverage. Yet I felt like I could visibly see the powder sitting on my skin.

I tried using this with less matte foundation formulas just to test it out (my go-to fndt is very matte on its own). My face looked really gross within a few hours. I could see the make up separate from my skin once my oil broke through.

I honestly don't get the love so many reviewers have for this product. I think the tinted ones might be worth looking into if they blend more seamlessly. But... I am NC10 (very pale leaning yellow). Cameo and Fair were too pink/dark toned for me. I will admit I do like this better than the Make Up For Ever HD silica powder everyone raves about, but that isn't saying much given the low rating I gave that product too.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

i have EXTREMELY oily skin and this only lasts on my skin for like an hour or two so that's sad :( but it feels good on my skin and it diffuses light and blurs imperfections and makes my skin look 10x better. it doesnt cake up no matter how much i put on. would definitely repurchase as a touch up powder. still looking for that supremely mattifying powder for my oily skin though. for people who are normal - oily, this would definitely work for you

on 2/8/2014 2:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Sorry to be one of the only few nay-sayers to this wonderful product, but I've had FAR better results using the cheapest drugstore powder I could find, versus using this stuff to set my BB cream. No matter how I applied this powder (using blotting sheets before applying the powder, using a powder puff to apply the powder, using a powder brush to apply the powder, using a stippling brush to apply the powder, tapping off the excess, which I always do anyways, before applying, etc.), I absolutely could not stop this powder from caking HORRIBLY on me. I had to go and wash my face every time I set my make-up with this stuff because the caking was just THAT bad. Also, although I could blend out this powder onto my wrist and have it disappear completely, it very obviously lightened my BB cream by about a shade whenever I applied it onto my face (probably because I tried not to buff it too much into my face as not to displace my BB cream).

I'm so torn over this product; I've never seen a single review saying that this powder (or any other Ben Nye powder for that matter) was the least bit cakey, and I truly believe this because I've watched plenty of demos on YouTube where the people who applied this stuff had the most flawless finishes! I don't know why, but it just cakes so, so, so terribly on me. I got the Ben Nye neutral set powder from eBay from a reputable seller (spotlight_21), so I doubt authenticity is an issue here. Also, the oil control is no different from any other powder I've ever used; I still oiled up considerably by the two-hour mark. The packaging is also quite awful and messy... I really wish I hadn't spent $16 on the massive 8 oz. jar. :(

Despite how awful this stuff looks on me, I wouldn't exactly recommend NOT buying it... And I say this because I seem to be only one of an extreme minority who ends up with a really cakey finish every time I set my BB cream with this powder. For the other 99% of people who use this, this powder sets their make-up really beautifully and so, I can't exactly say not to get it... But I will recommend those who are still interested in this powder to first get a sample of this stuff that comes in a sifter jar. Not only do you have a mess-free way of testing out this powder via the sifter jar, but you also won't regret buying this stuff if you end up not liking this powder like I didn't.

on 4/19/2012 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I can't believe how long it took me to discover this product and now that I've used it, how can I ever live without it! I'm NC42 and have used for years MAC, Clinique, Estee Lauder, MUFE and just recently purchased Chanel and all were absolutely useless in controlling my oil and terrible to take pictures with. You can use the crappiest foundation but use this powder to set and it will erase all the flaws. It literally leaves a lightweight feel and airbrushed look similar to MUFE HD powder but absolutely no whitecast whatsover! I was skeptical at first but I've taken a million pics in every light possible and it's just perfect. I also use this to dust over my eye primer and it sets no creasing at all. I'm overwhelmed at how amazing this product I tell everyone to purchase this ASAP. And it is so affordable I just can't bear to purchase anything else. The packaging is terrible but my unused Chanel powder top is currently being used to swirl and tap this product on.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Geez louise, What oh what is wrong with my face that almost nothing, including this highly rated product, will work for me???? I had super, duper high hopes and did not mind the cheap packaging cuz um it's dirt cheap, so I guess you get what you pay for. I passed this on to a co-worker since it is whole bunch of product and did not want it just sitting in my medicine cabinet. On to trying Kryolan anti-shine powder. Hope I fair better with that since it's a bit more pricey. Please makeup Gods all I want is for a shine free face....at least for like 5 hours and then I don't mind reapplying :)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

One of the best setting powders I have used. You can get this online or from theater supply stores for a really good price. It sets makeup without looking like you have added another layer and is great at absorbing shine. My only gripe is the packaging, it comes in a shake out container and sometimes I would end up wasting product until I found an empty sifter jar and decanted some. I will definitely repurchase this when it runs out, but that won't be for a while since you get tons of product.

on 12/7/2004 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I said I would buy this again only because it is so very cheap for how much powder you get (that is...if I ever run out! I doubt it!). I have very, VERY oily skin and read the reviews of this powder on MUA which prompted me to try it. I don't think it really does anything for my oily skin...I still need to blot all day and need to reapply at least once a day (only because I'm too lazy to reapply more often!). It does not really "set" anything and shine keeps on going....

on 10/15/2004 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i really do like this powder. i have VERY oily skin that is hard to control. i'm going to get the BN Final Seal next. i still get a little oily but this is probably the best powder for it. the only thing i really dont like is the packaging-very big pain in the butt so i put it in another powder container. will update after trying with the Final Seal. UPDATE-with the Final Seal, this stuff is the BEST!!! buy both of these together!

on 1/22/2003 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Baby, this is *double* old school!
For those of those who missed out on MAC's Invisible Set powder, look into BN Neutral Set (~50g for $6). The concept is the same-a talc-based translucent powder which sets colours without adding
any in and of itself. I've used this as a loose face powder and it works well. However, on me (GGG) it looks a little ashy at first, then settles in fine. I've also blended it w/other powders (Bn Topaz) to correct for this. This also works well to set creme products, including creme eyeshadows. In fact, a light layer of this under and over cream or liquid shadows will help them to stay all day, and this trick also works for pencil liner as well. Even the smallest size will last for-eva. continued >>