Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder

Ben Nye Neutral Set translucent powder
Neutral Set translucent powderNeutral Set translucent powderMy lovely Ben Nye PowdersNeutral Set translucent powder

4.5

Ingredients for Colorless: Talc, Aluminum Hydroxide, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. /////////// Talc, aluminum hydroxide, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, sorbic acid.

Doesn't do a thing, looks invisible, not sure what the difference is between this and baby powder...

on 2/8/2014 2:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Sorry to be one of the only few nay-sayers to this wonderful product, but I've had FAR better results using the cheapest drugstore powder I could find, versus using this stuff to set my BB cream. No matter how I applied this powder (using blotting sheets before applying the powder, using a powder puff to apply the powder, using a powder brush to apply the powder, using a stippling brush to apply the powder, tapping off the excess, which I always do anyways, before applying, etc.), I absolutely could not stop this powder from caking HORRIBLY on me. I had to go and wash my face every time I set my make-up with this stuff because the caking was just THAT bad. Also, although I could blend out this powder onto my wrist and have it disappear completely, it very obviously lightened my BB cream by about a shade whenever I applied it onto my face (probably because I tried not to buff it too much into my face as not to displace my BB cream).

I'm so torn over this product; I've never seen a single review saying that this powder (or any other Ben Nye powder for that matter) was the least bit cakey, and I truly believe this because I've watched plenty of demos on YouTube where the people who applied this stuff had the most flawless finishes! I don't know why, but it just cakes so, so, so terribly on me. I got the Ben Nye neutral set powder from eBay from a reputable seller (spotlight_21), so I doubt authenticity is an issue here. Also, the oil control is no different from any other powder I've ever used; I still oiled up considerably by the two-hour mark. The packaging is also quite awful and messy... I really wish I hadn't spent $16 on the massive 8 oz. jar. :(

Despite how awful this stuff looks on me, I wouldn't exactly recommend NOT buying it... And I say this because I seem to be only one of an extreme minority who ends up with a really cakey finish every time I set my BB cream with this powder. For the other 99% of people who use this, this powder sets their make-up really beautifully and so, I can't exactly say not to get it... But I will recommend those who are still interested in this powder to first get a sample of this stuff that comes in a sifter jar. Not only do you have a mess-free way of testing out this powder via the sifter jar, but you also won't regret buying this stuff if you end up not liking this powder like I didn't.

on 4/2/2013 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I can honestly say that this is not a miracle product, I had to reapply this after a couple of hours . I have combination skin, my skin is not very oily. I bought it, used a couple of times and stopped using it after reading that it has parabens. I will not re-buy or use this powder. Parabens are not good for our health..

Horrible. Leaves a white cast and doesn't even control oil too well.
Still have an almost-full 3oz bottle... =[

I bought it because I wanted a translucent powder, as I'm very pale with a strong yellow undertone and I was sick of coloured powders which had the wrong undertone/shade and ruined my makeup. This is not translucent. It's not completely stark white, but it is white and noticeably alters the colour of my makeup.
It's not mattifying, either. It actually causes me to become slightly shiny all over my face after about 2 hours, which is especially strange since most of my face is not oily at all. It's as if I never applied powder to begin with.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this due to the ingredient list being similar to my favorite setting powder. It's actually pretty hard to find talc in setting powders these days since silica products have gotten more attention. This has both talc and silica. Talc is my favorite oil absorbing ingredient. I thought I was going to love this powder.

The name is misleading as it's not a neutral shade. It's a stark white powder. Yes, most of the white color blends away when you buff it in. I've experienced worse whitecast by other products.However this does lighten my foundation by 1 shade. Ben Nye Neutral Set truly is translucent in terms of coverage. Yet I felt like I could visibly see the powder sitting on my skin.

I tried using this with less matte foundation formulas just to test it out (my go-to fndt is very matte on its own). My face looked really gross within a few hours. I could see the make up separate from my skin once my oil broke through.

I honestly don't get the love so many reviewers have for this product. I think the tinted ones might be worth looking into if they blend more seamlessly. But... I am NC10 (very pale leaning yellow). Cameo and Fair were too pink/dark toned for me. I will admit I do like this better than the Make Up For Ever HD silica powder everyone raves about, but that isn't saying much given the low rating I gave that product too.

on 1/29/2014 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Uugh. I'm sorry, maybe I am just too spoiled after using Mac blot.. but this does not compare.

Talc is the main ingredient here, and kaolin is the main one in Mac blot. They're uncomparable, sorry.

This makes my foundation look awful (Colorstay) and I'm oily in two or three hours. D:
Very disappointed. Back to the expensive Mac! haha. Maybeline dream matte mousse is pretty good too.

EDIT: While this is cakey over foundation, this week I've been trying it alone over my moisturizer. It seems to work better this way, so it probably depends on which foundation you're using. HOWEVER...it cakes under my eyes still, so it's not that impressive.

on 7/30/2012 11:17:00 PM

I really wanted this product to be what everyone is raving about....unfortunately, it does NOT exceed my expectations. In fact, it's well below mine.

First, it controlled my oil for the first few days, but after that I was oily again :(

Second, after several hours, it begins to look cakey. I had to pat my face with my fingers to blend out the cakey-ness. How embarrasing.

I do like that it is fairy translucent and isn't too heavy. Other than that, I won't buy this product again.

on 12/7/2004 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I said I would buy this again only because it is so very cheap for how much powder you get (that is...if I ever run out! I doubt it!). I have very, VERY oily skin and read the reviews of this powder on MUA which prompted me to try it. I don't think it really does anything for my oily skin...I still need to blot all day and need to reapply at least once a day (only because I'm too lazy to reapply more often!). It does not really "set" anything and shine keeps on going....

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I bought an 8 oz tub of this stuff off amazon for like $15 cause i had gift credit there. It's pretty cheap (i've read you can find it even cheaper in a store).

It gets 3 sticks from me because it provides a pretty good (and yes, surprisingly velvety) finish; it's mattifying without being drying and it doesn't look cakey or make my shallow acne scars stand out (some powders seem to). It makes my makeup last longer and less prone to being wiped off by my hair or clothes etc.

There can be a slight cast immediately after you apply, but it eventually turns slightly glowy on me. I actually liked it.

Unfortunately, this stuff clogs my pores and causes some itchiness every time i use it (maybe it's the talc?). Even so, I still would've given it 4 sticks (I figure i'm just sensitive) if not for the fact that the formula of this stuff seems pretty outdated. If you're one of those people who likes to avoid parabens, this powder isn't for you.

Oh also, a little goes a long way so you don't need a lot. Even if i ended up using it every day, buying an 8oz tub of it was MAJOR overkill on my part.