CHANEL No.19

4.2

on 10/21/2012 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Chanel no 19 conjures A rainy Sunday morning with gray skies on a lush Irish
moors with the musk of pure green grass damp from a early morning rain.
With the Morning mist blown from the sea
breaks the darkness of night into the new
dawn with some instinct you begin wondering around feeling the refreshing
texture of the green grass beneath your
bare feet you start to be aware of your
senses around you you smell the sharp
bright scent of bergamot and spicy hyacinth to awake your senses.
Then you hear the most haunting tune of
church bells your entranced by the clear
and most purest bells that chime you see
the most beautiful Celtic Cross made of
white stone and beautiful purple irises
and pale pink that adorn the alter of the Virgin Mary and the vivid color of
the ancient Celtic Illuminated Book of
Kells.

Chanel no 19 has a beautiful Earthiness
that is not comely sluttish or flamboyant it's a simple and pure scent
with a spiritual tone.

on 6/12/2012 11:30:00 PM

Just why has this fragrance been reformulated??? This smells nothing like the original and so should never have been given the same name. Chanel needs to go back to the original. It was a truly exquisite fragrance. The new one is harsh, sharp, pungent smelling. I am sending my bottle back to them and getting a refund.

Rating original formulation would get a 5. The new formulation gets a 1 for trying.

on 4/12/2010 3:16:00 AM

I went to Paris to buy this in several forms, hoping the Euro-available versions would be better than the weak EdT found in the U.S. No.19 is still one of the greats, no doubt. But it has certainly lost the rosy, leathery humor that lent the velvet glove to its iron fist before many of its ingredients were changed. None of today's versions of No.19, (extrait, EDP, or EdT) can match its former glory, but they are still worth visiting.

on 6/27/2008 4:32:00 PM

I loved No.19 EDT for years and wore it regularly, but it smells very different now, so regretfully I won't be repurchasing. I prefer to keep my memories.

on 6/25/2008 8:00:00 AM

(This review is for EdT)
Chanel No. 19 is a breathtaking masterpiece of modern perfumery, and a premier example of what one might term an aspirational fragrance. While other scents may be thought of as merely evocative of an image, a time, or a place, No. 19 is one of those rare perfumes that one dons when one aspires to transcend the bounds of one’s normal way of being. Not only does it smell good (ça sent bon), but it speaks of a woman who is confident, self-assured, devastatingly elegant, and absolutely comfortable with her own power. It's a fragrance to wear to remind yourself how to be strong, courageous, and in control.

As a composition, No. 19 strikes me also as a paradigmatic example of Chanel’s ultra-soigné style in fragrance. Just as Coco Chanel’s fashion eschewed fripperies and ornamentation for a look that was sleek, modern, and editorial, No. 19 is a beautifully abstract composition whose elements have been perfected, polished, and seamlessly integrated together. The bitter green chill of the opening galbanum-neroli-hyacinth accord is matched by the opulence of the floral heart of rose de mai, jasmine, ylang-ylang, and lily of the valley, like the simple cut of a minimalist dress that, up close, reveals its construction out of beautifully rich and sumptuous materials. But rather than being a literal bouquet of posies, the floral notes dissolve together into a abstract accord that does not let you forget its essential relationship to “flower-ness”, even as it is, in its current evolutionary form, so exquisitely crafted that it utterly exceeds the physical notion of a flower in nature. Throughout in this stylized composition, iris provides a chilly, metallic, inedible sheen, while the dark, mossy, vetiver base maintains a certain regal austerity.

No. 19 is sometimes called “chilly”, “heartless”, and “cruel,” like the scent of a strict dominatrix in stiletto heels and a pencil skirt, as though the idea of a strong, powerful woman necessarily implies that she would have to be an ice queen. Perhaps this lingering attitude is a throwback to a time (No. 19 was released in 1971) when women's forays into the corporate boardroom were evoking this sort of response among their insecure male colleagues. Today, I experience it as the scent of a woman who makes no apologies for her power OR for her femininity. And a scent that any man could wear, provided that he has the balls to aspire to the very best qualities of strong women.

on 5/28/2008 2:48:00 AM

Today's No. 19 (as opposed to yesterday's) seems to have nearly removed the signature leather in favor of a sweeter, soft-focus jasmine/rose/iris bouquet. The leather is what inhibited my initial enjoyment of No. 19; that and the prickly galbanum never seemed to settle. On paper, they did, but in practice the scent always rode very high. I sold a bottle of the vintage EdT for this reason and then regretted it. When I heard that No. 19 was headed towards becoming a boutique-only scent (in north central Florida, the idea of a boutique is laughable), I made a road trip to find what appeared to be the last bottle standing. The amusing detail here is that the SA told me that that I'd gotten the last bottle; the second-to-last had been sold that morning. This fragrance has disappeared from ULTA as well.

The new No. 19 is muted to a blush, presumably favoring or hopefully pandering to the clients of Chance and Coco Mademoiselle. While missing the distinctive profile of the former iteration, I do find the latest more wearable. The galbanum doesn't rap nearly so sharply against the base, although now it seems that this was a desirable signature and not something that should have been sacrificed to market or regulation. I also find that the EdT does not last nearly so long as it once did; the galbanum quickly fades off into the bouquet, which in turns shies towards the dumbed-down base. I'm surprised at the lack of staying power compared with the earlier version. The new version turns No. 19 into a skin scent without the braininess of the original.

Although I can now wear and enjoy this friendlier No. 19 with ease, the awareness of its past makes me feel as if I'm wearing the ghost of an idea. The original had a distinct yellow-greenish cast and the new feels as pale as celadon.

on 5/22/2008 7:49:00 AM

I must say when I first tried it I was quite disappointed. In the EDT form it smells like a weak Dioressence (1969). After about six months I know better as I have learnt to recognise the iris note at the initial stage (thanks to the bois jasmin blog and to Hiris). Iris is taking the centre stage with rose providing the supporting. Then iris waves farewell and rose takes up the centre stage. I am still dissecting the rest of the notes hopefully after a year I'll learn it all in the end!!

on 3/12/2008 1:34:00 AM

Not sure if it's because I sampled the EDT, but I expected something quite different from this. I was expecting woody, green, freshly-cut stalks. This is alot more green and fresh than the No.5 I tried just the day before, but I think I just don't like the signature drydown of the Chanels. This wasn't dry or tart at all. It kinda reminds me of disinfectant, sorry.

on 1/25/2008 9:41:00 AM

Back in the 70's, I would sneak my mother's Cosmo Bedside Astrologer and read my horoscope to see what lay ahead for me in the coming year. Every 15 year old girl needs to know what "sexy antics" she can expect. So as a Scorpio, I learned that I was passionate and jealous and could expect tempestuous relationships. The perfume recommended for such a woman was Chanel No. 19. Of course, I had to have it. I begged my mother and to my disbelief, I found a bottle of Edt under the Christmas tree. I had never smelled such a captivating scent. And thank heaven, it worked on me. I have now worn No. 19 for 30+ years. It is the scent that I associate with ME. Chanel No. 19 has been my signature scent through all of the stages of my life; as a poor college student in thrift shop clothes, a young career woman in shoulder pads and pumps, a bride in Laura Ashley, a new mother in leggings and huge shirts, and mom in jeans and tees. This is my Valentine to Chanel No. 19. Others have described No. 19 better than I could. I just wanted to let you know how much I love it.

on 1/11/2008 11:32:00 AM

To the last reviewer who mentioned the nasal equivelent of colorblindness, it's called anosmia, and just because someone elses senses find enjoyment with something you do not, doesn't make it an unpleasant scent. It's called a difference of opinion, and my difference of opinion is that no. 19 is a beautiful fragrance, old yes, but in the grand scheme of things what does old smell like, and why is it such an unpleasant thought to smell that way? I feel great comfort when I pass older women on the street and I smell their fragrances, it's the one thing we can experience from their heyday, when that same fragrance was considered young. Think about it, someday you'll be that woman, and do you really want to smell like Light Blue?

Popular Fragrances