I really liked the hydrating effect of Clinique"s Moisture Surge Supercharged Concentrate during the summer, but as it hasn't been hydrating enough during the winter season on its own, I stopped by at the Clinique counter to see which moisturizer they would suggest layering on top of it. I was told the '72 Hour Auto Replenishing Hydrator' would be the right product as it's formulated specially to work in affinity with the concentrate.
Now due to my previous bad experiences with 'Dimethicone' (namely in Clinique's DDMG) I decided to go with a sample, rather than fork out on the retail size jar of the Hydrator, as it's the 2nd ingredient in here. Glad I did, as my face became itchy and bumpy within a few days of using it. I don't believe it was the Dimethicone on its own to blame, as it usually takes several weeks for it to build up in my skin, but more likely: Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer which I've noticed has caused issues for me in other products before.
As soon as I stopped using it, the itchiness and bumps disappeared within 24 hours. In terms of hydration I didn't notice a vast difference compared to using the Concentrate on its own. Upon closer inspection of the packaging I can see why: the good stuff (Sodium Hyaluronate, Aloe etc) are much further down the list and therefore lower in concentration/quantity. I can only imagine this working well for non-dehydrated skin types.
Have since discovered much better moisturizers by Clinique which I will review separately.
~ My HG list ~
(As I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, I thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective. I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora)
1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
3. Pigmentation + Anti-Ageing Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Facial Treatment Serum
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Lush' - Enzymion
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment