Maybelline New York Super Stay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick

Super Stay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick

3.6

on 12/8/2018 8:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

How do I compare thee to a piece of garbage?
Oh wait, let me count the ways!

First, color selection underwhelming unless you're happy with baby pastels, unflattering browns, and awkward dark reds, for there is close to nothing in between save for two shades, one being Lover which is a mild steak, MLBB hue with just enough mauve to look like product rather than actual lips- not bad in and of itself for day wear.

Secondly, the packaging is opaque and you can't see how much you have left, which is irrelevant in that you'll most likely know for a fact the tube is full when you throw it away.

Thirdly, the applicator is intended to make it easier to line your lips but fails to do that, especially on the lower lip. It also makes it difficult to get a small amount of product on, or to wipe the excess off, and rest assured the more product you have on, the sooner you'll be spewing profanities.

Number four, it swatches really nice on your hand, but looks outrageously disgusting on lips. I normally think something either works or not, rarely do I think a product is just gross, but this be gross and that's an understatement. My natural lips are very smooth and hydrated, no flaking, chapping, peeling or lines. Until I put even the slightest amount of this on and they're instantly 116 years old, wrinkly, coated in unsightly chalky color and just look like a dehydrated peeling crust. Gross!!! Just gross!! I scrubbed before applying, I tried applying it over and under this and that lip balm and other lipsticks, it just made it worse- in that I couldn't get a layer of product but smudges that flaked badly and collected in weird clumps that peeled off like those max factor long lasting lipsticks that came with a gloss stick on one end over a decade ago. Like someone said before, blotting immediately after application helps but that implies you were able to get a fairly even coat in the first place, which is tricky.

I'm still in shock at the crusty, chalky, wrinkly appearance I got, I mean my lips are plump and smooth, HOW did they manage to produce something that miraculously makes a good lip ugly?!!

I don't understand (although I have no trouble believing this misbehaves in more ways than I've personally found out) what problem the people who complain of it taking hard work to remove were experiencing though as, thankfully, I had no issues with that. Obviously any long wear product won't just wash off, but anything greasy works. Natural oils, baby oil, vaseline, calendula salve, even thick cold cream all get this off in one swipe. And rightly so because I wanted it off pronto. I can't imagine leaving the house in this.

Also, my lips felt like they were sunburned for a while after I had used it, which doesn't happen to me with any other product. But that at least could just be from individual-specific sensitivity rather than abysmal overall quality.

I wouldn't mind all the other downsides at all if the formula was at least wearable if not excellent. But I can't, can't understand how they effed it up so bad.

I personally had no issues with the scent and taste, didn't even notice them. This sticks to lips like superglue so I imagine "tasting" it would take quite an effort anyway. The stickiness is insane btw, but does lessen after a while.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I've thrown a product away, as I hate wasting my money on stuff that doesn't work, so I normally go to great lengths to try and make a product work somehow. But this is just hopeless. It's trash and belongs in the trash.

When you see this, keep walking. Anything is better than this. I'm still perplexed and upset with how outstandingly bad it is.

*update, my inner cheapo insisted on bang out of buck and tried a thin coat, blotted, over lip pencil. IT WORKED. it didn't layer well with my lip products so I figured the texture of a regular lip pencil might not bother it. You need to FILL IN your lips with pencil, it will coat the tiny lines in them so that they don't show up when you apply the lip ink. If your lips look wrinkly, you have way too much on. Try blotting, or wipe off and start over. It takes some practice to be able to get a small amount of product because the applicator is too generous with it. If you manage to get a thin even coat, it is indeed very long lasting, and fades rather than chips throughout the day. Don't worry if you don't have a pencil in a matching color at hand, the ink is so pigmented it'll cover the base entirely. It survived quick meals well, though they were dry meals. I don't suppose it would last through beef stew or nutella, but I wouldn't expect any product to. I do find it drying and still get the sunburn feeling, but if I condition my lips well between uses I can tolerate it several times a week, so not disastrous. It is a too much bother product for me to repurchase, and it's not for the easily frustrated for sure. But if you have it and are close to binning it, try the pencil thing first. Maybe the people who love it just always fill their lips in first? I don't know but it made a considerable difference. BLOT!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I ended up throwing mine out, it was too sticky and heavy on the lips and smelled bad.

i bought the shade lover, and on my skin tone, its more of a purpley mauve, less pink but still a very pretty mauve color. you cant beat the price, and yes this is maybelline and not wnw essence elf, but for the color and packaging its super worth it. the applicator has a hole in the middle which i find super useful, as it spreads product across lips evenly instead of pushing a thick glob of liquid everywhere, so you dont end up with a super thick crusty layer of liquid lip, the applicator gives it a very smooth and thinned out texture. i use lip balm before applying this and i find that it doesnt emphasize my lines too much, yes its a liquid lipstick so it will, but its very natural, like natural lips. it is transfer proof but does stick your lips together. taht doesnt both me because finish is super comfortable and does not dry me out AT ALL. so pressing your lips together, the stickiness won't affect the color on your lips, it stays put, i just dont find a problem with it sticky, i find that because its slightly tacky, its actually more comfortable. all in all, fantastic product, will repurchase, hope this helps xoxo

on 11/14/2018 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is a pretty tricky lip product to apply and get it right. I don't know if it's because my lips are slightly dry. It has a tendency to dry unevenly if you're not careful and since it's long-lasting, it's harder to remove. However, on the upside, it does last for a quite a long time if you get it right. I find it better if it's applied over a lip balm, but then it doesn't last as long.

on 11/13/2018 12:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

This went from being, “I’m desperate to find a liquid lipstick I can tolerate” product to being a repurchase, this is practically the only lippie I wear loyalist. How did I get here? I’m a professional tour guide in New Orleans. I work outside, and our summers are brutal. But I perform ghost and vampire tours, so I have to look the spooky part regardless of the weather conditions. Well, this summer was so bad, my go-to Nyx lipsticks kept melting in my bag. I even cut up a thermal lunch bag and sewed it into a makeup bag to stop the melt, but 110 degree heat index wasn’t going to let my lipsticks stay solid inside my black leather work bag. So I went looking for an already melted- ie, liquid, lipstick. I’ve had bad luck in the past with longwear liquid lippies. I’ve tried Kay Von D and Jeffree Star, Wet n Wild and products from the local beauty supply store. None lasted on me, all caked and cracked and peeled on the inner part of my lips. But non-longwear products weren’t much better. They smeared and smudged and looked awful when you tried to retouch them. Finally, I went to Ulta and dropped $75.00 on liquid lip colors. The Maybelline Matte Ink in the shade “Voyager” won me over and I’ve been wearing it exclusively ever since. It applies like a dream- the applicator makes it so easy to perfectly fill in my lips, even dark colors are opaque with one coat, and once it dries, it last me more or less all day. Maybe not if I’ve been eating, but I can perform two tours wearing this stuff, go out for drinks after with friends, and not worry about my lipstick looking funky in photos on the Internet. I will continue to buy this product in other shades. I don’t bother with other brands for the time being. This is good stuff for me.

on 11/9/2018 1:46:00 AM

I love the shade 'loyalist'. Its a nude pink shade. Fore ref im NC37 but this looks so natural and stunning with smokey brown eye. Im glad Maybelline upped- their game with this liquid lipstick. The colors lasts all day but it was not drying. Will def try the shade 'amazonian'(the dupe for 'trendsetter' by Huda beauty) . Its in my next purchase bucket list.. hehe. im waiting for a sale . I like the packaging and the smooth feeling tube gives you the color ref. so it easy for those morning- makeup -rush - i woke -up -late days. It lasts all day after eating, hours of chatting and drinking. Doesn't flake, doesn't feather. Recommend? yes buy

Edit:
You can only remove this with makeup remover!

Initial impressions:

Because I have braces with clear bands which are easily stained by lipsticks, I've been searching for the most transfer-proof liquid lips. So far, Rimmel Provocalips are the best at being budgeproof, but the shade selection is rather limited (and a silly reason--I hate the lipstick-print packaging). Kat Von D's Everlasting Liquid Lips are quite good, but they're also quite pricey.

I was finally convinced to try these based on reviews (and speaking frankly, they went on sale). This is an impression of the shade "Ruler", which bridges the gap between red and berry. I really love the colour, and just one swipe left impressive pigment. I did not double-dip as I know it's typically best to apply one thin coat. However! after letting it dry (with my mouth hanging open like an idiot) for about five minutes, it was still tacky, and a good deal rubbed off on my poor braces. I will say that my lips looked good for several hours (to be fair, I only drank through a straw and talked), but my teeth looked gruesome. I'll try again attempting to use a lighter hand, but I felt like I applied a thin coat to begin with, so I'm not optimistic. I did like the flexible diamond-shaped applicator, and unlike the Provocalips, the squared-off container lets you know when the cap is completely shut (I'm paranoid about liquids drying up).

on 10/20/2018 6:58:00 AM

It claims to last 16 hours & i can see that IF you don't eat at all for 16 hours. It drops after eating. BUT it doesn't drop much which i'm surprise.
It's alittle drying on the lips and i do see some patches but no biggies. Very faint pleasant smell.
It cost SGD17.90 so it's a little on the pricier side for such quality. Can get better quality lipstick with that price. Don't buy if you want to make your money worth, get something else.
Overall i do like this range by Maybelline because it's very pigmented & the shades are also nice, can see myself repurchasing the shade Amazonian and others.

on 10/17/2018 4:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY! I bought this liquid lipstick cause it’s supposed to be a cult favorite and have phenomenal staying power, something I tend to look for in a lipstick. I bought the color Poet for about $10 at Ulta and was so excited when I swatched on my hand and saw even color that didn’t smudge or come off. However, as soon as I applied, my lips had more lines than they ever have, they stuck together and looked patchy. It wore off within the first hour of wear and I didn’t even eat anything. I’ve tried endless ways to make this lipstick work for me, under lip balm, gloss over, applying less, applying more, etc. Nothing has fixed this terrible lipstick. I’m truly not sure if it’s something with this color or if all of the shades are this bad and I’m not going to spend any more money to find out. Before I bought it, I checked on here and I ignored the bad reviews. Don’t! Spend your money on a better liquid lipstick, I recommend Wet n Wild’s liquid catsuit and Nyx’s soft matte creams. Anything but this, honestly.

on 10/13/2018 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Decided to try this when my beloved Revlon Colorstay liquid in Eternally Tan seemed to be discontinued. Before I could give it a fair trial, Etenally Tan was back and, unwilling to risk being without it again, I bought several. Alas, the formula had changed, and it seemed more mauve, less tan, and less pigmented. It also didn’t stay as amazingly well as the older formula.

So, rifling through my not-using-but-loath-to throw-away stash, I came across these. After experimenting a bit, I found I could use 75, Fighter, with a bit of 65 Seductress, to get a great color. It didn’t feel great, kind of gloppy, until I learned to use a much lighter hand and/or blot. I’m not crazy about really matte finishes, so wear wi a gloss on top and it looks like a great creamy lipstick. BUT it doesn’t transfer, and lasts...actualiy, I don’t know how long, since I did remove it before bed. That was at least 10 hours, meals (including a fairly gooey patty melt, coffees, etc., with clear gloss applied occasionally.

Color me impressed!